Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Healing Output - Your Preference

EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
Healing has always been an interesting element to balance for PVE Healer Class Design because you have to consider many variables. Such as, player health, potency of NPC damage output, frequency of NPC damage output, other mitigation/class defensive abilities ect. I am just looking for player preference in regards of PVE Healer Classes healing output. 

I am just going to generalize as many mmorpg's tackle this differently. 

Option 1 -- Player Classes and NPC's are equal in power. Player Damage is similar to NPC damage as well as Player Health and NPC health. Healing Output would be equal or close to player damage. *Note* Varying degrees of damage/health range will be dependent on NPC Class/Race. 

Option 2 -- Player Classes Damage are weaker than NPC's Damage. Player Health is more than NPC Health. Healing Output would be stronger than Player Damage. *Think EQ*

Option 3 -- Player Classes Damage is stronger than NPC's Damage. Player Health is lower than NPC Health. Healing Output would be lower than Player Damage. *Think Lotro*

*My apologies for not describing this well.*

Healing Output - Your Preference
  1. Which Option from the Thread do you prefer?8 votes
    1. Option 1
      75.00%
    2. Option 2
      12.50%
    3. Option 3
      12.50%

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You didn't associate the first option with a game like you did with the other two which I found very helpful in seeing what you had in mind.  Like Gorwe said, I'm happy with any setup as long as it's enjoyable.  Games with three heals or twenty, the most important thing is the element of enjoyment.

I usually enjoy healers because they usually don't need potions and are easier to level with greater survivability.
    AlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    You didn't associate the first option with a game like you did with the other two which I found very helpful in seeing what you had in mind.  Like Gorwe said, I'm happy with any setup as long as it's enjoyable.  Games with three heals or twenty, the most important thing is the element of enjoyment.

I usually enjoy healers because they usually don't need potions and are easier to level with greater survivability.
    Yeah, I haven't seen Option 1 used as frequent or I can't put my finger on a specific MMO that has that. I do believe Option 1 would be a new and interesting dynamic. Having NPC's as strong as players. Of course, it would have to have a robust AI to compensate. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Eronakis said:

Yeah, I haven't seen Option 1 used as frequent or I can't put my finger on a specific MMO that has that. I do believe Option 1 would be a new and interesting dynamic. Having NPC's as strong as players. Of course, it would have to have a robust AI to compensate. 
    That would be really hard to do unless there were no levels or nearly everything matched your level as you played.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    When I played LoL I actually loved how much of the "support" class characters didn't have to have healing but were pretty effective.

Though I don't see that working for an MMO since I haven't seen an AI that gamers are afraid enough of that they'll do some "poking and prodding" to try and find weaknesses before starting the real fight.

_________

outside of that and what would likely be in a MMO, I tend to like my mobs to be tanky enough that they can get their mechanic off once or twice.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Eronakis said:

That's actually old EQ. A "white con" (even level) monster has a 50/50 chance of winning. That's why many players duo'd or grouped.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I'm of the mind-set that all things should be related to the race/class/features of the NPC type, so I picked Option 1.

A little pixie might do much less physical damage than a player, for instance, whereas a minotaur/giant might output several times the physical as a player.
    The pixies, however, could be notorious for using poisoned weapons/spells, while the minotaur might not have anything but brute force.

On even footing (same class/race/level), I'd like to see NPCs and players of equal strength.  Of course, I'd also prefer to see equipment have varying impact, as well :tongue:  -- the guy swinging the massive greataxe should definitely have way higher damage than the guy with a little wooden club.
    AlBQuirkyEronakis
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I prefer option 4:  game has very little healing at all.  Think Spiral Knights.
    AlBQuirky
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I'm not sure which my preferred healer design fits into, if any.

Priest in TERA was probably my overall favorite healer in an MMO. You had high burst healing and mitigation tools that allowed you to be the hero of the moment when things went wrong, but you couldn't keep your party up if they just face tanked everything.