Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game do you love that everyone seems to hate? - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    ELEX is one of my favorite rpgs just below Morrowind and Fable, maybe next to Oblivion, but above Skyrim. 

Metacritic: 67 metascore and 6.9 user score
    Steam: recent reivews - mixed, overall - mostly positive

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Aeander said:
    Not games...

But EA, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Activision

Everyone hates them all the time, but I love "most" of their games they release.

But I think they get hated because they went from indie/small and became big corporations and for some reason people don't like big corporations. 

The same is true for singers/bands. Very dedicated "small" fanbase, but if they ever get big suddenly the fans they originally started with hate them despite the singer/band finding success.
    Things are rarely hated just for being popular. Usually, it's because of factors unrelated to that popularity, such as business practices. Or conversely, popular things are hated by people who were already inclined to dislike those things, with the effect on those people amplified by the popularity, not created by it.

Now, personally, I like Ubisoft. Or rather I've liked them since Assassin's Creed Origins and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Also, Bethesda isn't popularly hated. I hate them and have for years, but I am a pariah in that regard. They are getting well-deserved flak NOW, but that is following over a half-decade of them getting a complete free pass from the gaming community at large. They are a community darling if anything.
    Well topic title says "seems" to hate, and that goes back to...EA, Ubisoft, Activision and (now bethesda after 100s (exaggeration of course) of skyrim remakes, paid mods+fallout 76...all "SEEMS" to lead to all those companies being disliked and now Bethesda has joined them.

Sure a lot of people just hate whatever is popular, but that still doesn't change the topic title of "seems" to hate...and most forums and game communities definitely "SEEM" to hate EA the most out of all the ones I listed.

That doesn't mean EVERYONE hates them. It means SEEMS to hate them, as seen my the thread title in this thread of "what do you love that everyone SEEMS to hate". And EA at least definitely SEEMS to be most hated amongst gamers, for whatever reason that is (popularity, business practices or whatever)

Which then goes back to that I still like all the above companies because I don't care if they are big or not or what their business practices are, I still like most of their games. I even like fallout 76 which has gotten review bombed big time.
    I'm not here to nitpick words like "seems." That isn't a worthy conversation. EA, Ubisoft, and Activision are hated by a large (not necessarily majority, but large) vocal sect of the gaming community. There's no seems about it.

They (EA, Activision and Ubisoft) also happen to own some very popular IP that people do love regardless of their opinion of the publisher (such as Activision owning Call of Duty and EA holding a monopoly on officially licensed sports games). Madden and FIFA are not going to magically drop in popularity because those sports aren't going away anytime soon. Meaning that sales don't necessarily equate to approval (but that's another discussion entirely).

The reason I replied to you was in regards to your statement that they are hated because they're successful. Not everyone is contrarian hipster trash that hates things on the basis of them being mainstream. For rational people, there's a reason behind the hate.

I don't hate Bethesda as a developer (they're a great publisher, I'll admit) because they're mega-ultra-super-duper-successful. I hate them because they lack quality control on a level that would be unacceptable of any other developer in the industry. No one else would get away with releasing a game with Bethesda bugs, and yet we've given them a free pass forever because Elder Scrolls was such an ambitious genre-pushing franchise for its time. I don't think that sets a good precedent for the industry, as it gives other studios carte-blanche to release unfinished and unpolished games. And in Bethesda's case, they don't even fix launch bugs long term (or even on future re-releases) unlike other studios, because they have modders to do that shit for them. 
    mmolou
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    d_20 said:
    ELEX is one of my favorite rpgs just below Morrowind and Fable, maybe next to Oblivion, but above Skyrim. 

Metacritic: 67 metascore and 6.9 user score
    Steam: recent reivews - mixed, overall - mostly positive
    ELEX is actually on my list but not at full price. I can wait for a sale :)
    d_20
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I enjoyed the hardcore, factions meant something, pvp focused ESO more than the now "mainstream" version that revolves around the cash shop. Shows you how much I have in common with casual pve minded mmo's these days, I can't wait for some niche sandbox mmo to get away from all the easiness.
    d_20
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    edited November 2018
    Torval said:
    No Man's Sky

I love this game. The NMS community loves Hello and the game, but everyone else seems to hate it or give it a snub at best.

There is a leak of a new update, 1.75 Visions. It looks awesome to me.
    I enjoy NMS unfortunately it's one of the only games I've played that after 15 minutes I start getting nauseous/motion sickness.  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2018
    Can't come up with much,  but I don't play all that many games.

EVE I suppose is the best I can think of, strange a game so vilified by many is my all time favorite MMORPG.

Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Wildstar. That was a bizarre one for me. I absolutely loved all of it. The systems, the lore, the art style, the difficulty of the dungeons, the housing. It was the perfect game.

None of my friends shared that view - most of them left within a month.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    This topic doesn't apply to me as the games that I love might have some them hate them but have more that love them. Someone mentioned Destiny 1&2 (I love them) it's true in this specific forum there's plenty of haters on said games but in reality they are full of players that love them, FFXI whoever really got into this game not only loved it but considers it the best mmorpg ever made few haters here say: UI sucks, very slow(these are people that never tried it) some say takes for ever to get a group(non social people), FFXIV ARR few haters for this game hating on things that actually make this game good like too storylines/cutscenes or fashion mmo (personally love the gear and the many choices). 
    Bless takes all the haters like 99% of the members of the forum but when I tried it I found it on par with Black Desert Online and even though I don't like both of them I don't hate them I just don't understand why so much hate over it, I actually liked Bless better.
    Kyleran
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    swtor, shadowbane, misunderstood games. swtor is good but lack of space game keeps it from being great. Never into PvP but shadowbane was the exception
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Not that it was hated, just not very popular:  Asheron's Call 2.  It really entertained me for some reason.
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    MMORPG: Lord of the Rings Online (I know many love it but I think there's many more that hate it)  Single player RPG:  Neverwinter Nights 2  (yeah I even like the OC, and even more surprising I really enjoyed the second expansion SoZ)
    Ungood
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Warhammer Online

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    The Order: 1886. Loved that game yet everyone bashed the crap out of it. 
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Torval said:
    No Man's Sky

I love this game. The NMS community loves Hello and the game, but everyone else seems to hate it or give it a snub at best.

There is a leak of a new update, 1.75 Visions. It looks awesome to me.
    I picked this up on sale a few months ago and had a great time. There is a lot to do and I still need to get back to it at some point. 
    KyleranRemyVorender[Deleted User]

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Age of Conan
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    World of Warcraft
    [Deleted User]
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Shin Megami Tensei Imagine, Vietcong, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, WAR...

Actually quite a lot of them. The thing is that I enjoyed them a lot but at the same time I was aware of their flaws and mediocrity so I wouldnt go shouting that they were great games lying to everybody just cause I liked them.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    edited November 2018
    Fast paced arena FPS games such as Quake, Unreal Tournament, Reflex and competitive RTS games like Starcraft and Warcraft. You don't see a lot of hate for them because so few people play games like that these days. I don't understand how those games went from being very popular to hardly anyone playing them. I guess the high skill cap and the fact that as a new player you feel completely helpless when playing against experienced players scares away a lot of people from even trying them. You have to swallow your ego and accept that you will be losing a lot when starting out playing those games, unless you only play against other new players.

There's nothing quite like improving in skill in a competitive game like that for me, you really feel how much you improve when playing those games a while. There's no RNG or gear difference to blame for losing, it's a contest of pure skill at the game.
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I really enjoyed No Man's Sky when it launched.
    Yeah, it wasn't exactly what they promised, but I still had a lot of fun playing it.
    TacticalZombeh
  • NorrthmanNorrthman Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Most hated seems to be missing from the list. And it's my all time nr 1. FFXIV 1.xx was quite different from current version (which I cannot stand). The old version I play even today. Best game music forever to my taste in addition to many other features I valuate high, which modern mmo's now try to find with different methods.
    Buschkatze
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Fallout 76, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Asheron's Call 2, The Chronicles of Spellborn, Horizons: Empire of Istaria (now called Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted), Hellgate: London (the original by Flagship), Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, Warhammer Online, The Matrix Online, Earth & Beyond, Champions Online.

Pretty much if the game didn't last long and/or it got a lot of very vocal hate from these forums, there's a good chance that I really enjoyed playing it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I can't say there's ever been a game that I hated. Honestly, I can't understand how people can experience such a negative attitude towards something that can be entertaining for many people. It's like some people get more joy out of looking for little things in games to hate and go on and on about rather than just saying, "Hey, this and this and that was kind of fun, just not as fun as some other games I enjoyed." and then move on.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2018
    I enjoyed Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault myself.  Enjoyed Warhammer Online.  None were well-received.

Outside the MMORPG genre, though, I can't much think of a title I enjoyed that was received moslty poorly.  These days, a PC title received poorly generally indicates game-breaking bugs or a poorly thought-out, explotiative microtransaction system.  Both of those are features that will destroy a gaming experience for me.

When was the last time we saw a title that was judged harshly NOT because of massive bugs/cheating vulnerabilities or a blatantly predatory cash shop?  Just slap early access on the title and call it a day.  Maybe it's just me, but the bar to "pass" for reviews has never been lower.
    ConstantineMerusmmolou

• ApollosWillApollosWill Member UncommonPosts: 82
    edited November 2018
    I really love this game everyone else is hating. So much, Im writing this in the middle of the night after a gaming session with my wife. She is sleeping sound at my side and Im laying here in the dark with my cell phone, and I just HAVE to write this. I know it matters nothing at all, as minds are made up, but I just HAVE too :).

I hope you keep this game, part of the news cycle here on MMORPG, Bill.
    I have enjoyed this site for quite a bit of time, and I find Fallout 76 is part of the genre, and even moreso than alot of the other games. I find a lot of people is focus on the MASSIVE in mmorpg, where some of the ol' folks is more about trying to bring the tabletop RPG experience to a platform where you with ease can join up with other players and immerse ourselves in a fantasy world. MORPG is what is important.
    So what is MASSIVE? Ultima were the first to use the term. When the server showed HIGH population, there were 20-50 players online at one time. Back then it was considered Massive.

Fallout 76 is certainly an RPG. You can customize your character quite a bit, and I find it more challenging than in many other cRPGS as I simply can't make a master in all, and I really enjoy that. Its about choices.

Heck, choices comes with the stash limits as well. Frustrating, yes. But it adds to the game, having to choose what items you find more needed

The game is also way less linear than most other games. Probably because you have to make your own fun a bit, because of the lack of NPCs, but it also mean that you can pretty much do whatever you want when you load in. You can simply just start walking in whatever direction you want and something different and interesting is going to happened

I love you don't meet players left and right. Its much more intense like this, and it feels as a wasteland. This was my only complain with City of Heroes. I loved everything about that game, except I hated there were Sooo MANY supers that you actually were not really special or super at all. Would have prefer much smaller population servers. I got that with Fallout 76, and I found that for once I was right. What I thought I wanted was actually what I wanted.

I believe this game will be persistent and change over time. The world will get more and more full with NPCs and factions as vault opens up, making it a living story, and Im happy to be part if this from the start. Give it a year or two and maybe we will have a Diamond City with NPCs etc. Maybe a city we would be part of building up.

In my opinion, this is much more MMORPG than any of the newer games coming up.

I hate the bugs and crashing as everyone else, and it will never be alright. It is sadly part of these games (outside of awesome Red Redemption 2), and have been since forever. WoW, Elder Scrolls Online, Star Wars Online, Warhammer Online, Witcher 1, Vermintide, Ultimate Alliance, Mass Effects (all of them), Skyrim...I can go on, almost every other game I have tried were filled with annoying bugs in the start. I want to take a stand with everyone else, but it gotta be the next game for I and my wife have way too much fun in this one.

I do have a stake in this game. I want it to succeed as I want to see how far this world will expand, and where it will take us.
    Existentialist