Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saga of Lucimia on Subscriptions - 'The More Options You Provide a Player, the Better' - MMORPG.com

Comments

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    kaladek51 said:
    Hasnt this game been in development since like 2015? Is there a release eta, or is it another game in the mill of early access forever + 1 day?

It'll be ready when it's ready, and not before. 

We'll announce a launch date when we are ready. 

MMORPGs take 6 - 8 years to develop, on average. Some (ESO for example) can take 8 - 10 years. 

We're entering into year four of development with 2019. That should give you a rough idea. 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • kaladek51kaladek51 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Renfail said:
    kaladek51 said:
    Hasnt this game been in development since like 2015? Is there a release eta, or is it another game in the mill of early access forever + 1 day?

MMORPGs take 6 - 8 years to develop, on average. Some (ESO for example) can take 8 - 10 years. 

We're entering into year four of development with 2019. That should give you a rough idea. 
    so 2023? you are kinda comparing apples to oranges, as ESO was fully voiced over, with full quests for each alliance..... from what I've read of SOL, none of that is in the game. Guess ill check again in 3-4 years.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Renfail said:
    Iselin said:
    Renfail said:
    Iselin said:
    Renfail said:

With the exception of the Mondays In MMORPG episode on Group-Based Gameplay, 100% of your links are posts back from 2015. 

Those posts were from 3+ years ago. Similarly, the MMORPG.com page for our game had/has information from 3+ years ago. We've updated a LOT of things since then. 

Thankfully, the MMORPG staff seem to be working on it (based on the emails I've received today after the hoopalooza surrounding this post), so hopefully we should be able to get some better information out there to the public who prefer coming here for their information, as opposed to directly to our website (where our FAQ page has regular updates to keep folks up to speed). 

Now, in regards to the Group-Based Gameplay post, let's not cherry-pick your quotes. Instead, let's talk about the WHOLE article, which revolves around this core aspect: 

“It’s the tabletop scenario. Friends hanging out, socializing, overcoming overwhelming odds together, and ultimately experiencing a sense of accomplishment that can only happen when you achieve a goal alongside someone else, rather than on your own.”

That's not to say you can't do things on your own. But rather our preferred method of gameplay is group-based, and while you can do things on your own like in early Everquest, the majority of our gameplay is going to be for community-based players who enjoy grouping. 

How do you go from a statement as strong as "... this is a game for groups, not hacks who want to use loopholes to get around intended mechanics." to your seemingly more solo-inclusive statements you're making today?

I'm having a hard time believing that your recent more welcoming attitude towards solo play is anything other than just marketing PR spin in order to attract those who would have been totally turned off by your aggressively anti-solo 2015 statement.

Not that there is anything wrong with making a must group MMO... as long as you're crystal clear that this is what you're making. As clear as you were in 2015.
    /shrug

We're allowed to shift design in whichever direction we choose. 

Of course you are. But my question is more have you in fact shifted design to include solo play or are you just using less aggressive language to describe the same game with the same mechanics you were describing in 2015?

If you have, what are those solo-centric design changes you have made?

Using less aggressive language to describe the same game, more or less. We've always anticipated things close to town being solo-able, but I'd say 85% of the game (or more) is designed for groups. 

It's early EQ (I edited my above comment), essentially: 

(From our FAQ page): Think early EverQuest. You can head out, harvest a few things, craft a bit, kill a few mobs close to town within the safety of the guards if you need to run, but if you want to hit up Orc Hill you’ll need 3-4 other players, and if you want to head into Crushbone and handle the Throne Room, you’ll need a full group. You need a well-balanced group of adventurers to handle whatever you might come across in the wild. You need gear. You need supplies. Bandages. Potions. Scrolls. A pack mule. Rope. Never leave home without a good length of rope.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought from the way you replied to Wellsrping emphasizing that he was pulling quotes from 2015, (and to me before your edit,) that there had been a shift in development focus. Obviously I was wrong.
    Renfail
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    I know that some players may be rather surprised by the "our way or the highway" attitude of the developers. But if you have been gaming even for a few years, you should have noticed that's how it always works, all these guys are doing is not pandering to every poster and telling them it will be the sort of game they want it to be. Which just ends up on launch day with loads of players feeling cheated.
    RenfailConstantineMerus
    Scot said:
    I know that some players may be rather surprised by the "our way or the highway" attitude of the developers. But if you have been gaming even for a few years, you should have noticed that's how it always works, all these guys are doing is not pandering to every poster and telling them it will be the sort of game they want it to be. Which just ends up on launch day with loads of players feeling cheated.
    I respect brutal honesty and am highly suspicious of dissembling.
    RenfailScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

kaladek51 said:
    Renfail said:
    kaladek51 said:

so 2023? you are kinda comparing apples to oranges, as ESO was fully voiced over, with full quests for each alliance..... from what I've read of SOL, none of that is in the game. Guess ill check again in 3-4 years.
    ESO took 9 years. 

Most MMORPGS take 6 - 8. 

We're coming up on four years into programming.  

Use whatever date you want. We'll let you know when we are ready. Could be 2021. Could be 2023. 

It'll be ready when it's ready. If you don't like following along development, then by all means check in again in 3-4 years. 
    Iselin said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought from the way you replied to Wellsrping emphasizing that he was pulling quotes from 2015, (and to me before your edit,) that there had been a shift in development focus. Obviously I was wrong.
    Not a shift in development, persay. A shift in our wording, which we first updated in 2017 and have continued refining since then. 
    Scot said:
    Yep!

It's been a staple of ours since we first announced in 2015, the "our world, our way" stance. For better or worse. 

But we would much rather tell it like it is rather than sugar-coat things. Pandering solves nothing and causes more problems than anything else. 
    edited November 2018
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:
    I respect brutal honesty and am highly suspicious of dissembling.
    To the point where some people are offended by our brutal honesty, that's what we've always shot for. 

It's one of the reasons we've been sharing YouTube videos since early 2015. Warts and all, folks. 

Here's my favorite comparison. 

Let's take a look at this morning's video here. 

And then compare it against our first official login video from September of 2015. 

Most folks thought we were CRAZY for EVER showing a project that early on in its development, but we're not that type of company, only showing the polished versions of things. 

It's certainly earned us our fair share of lumps along the way (trolls love to point out every frame hitch, every unoptimized section, every bug, every etc.), but for us it's been a roadmap of how a group of gamers, with no previous experience, have been able to pursue their passion and build a game studio into existence, to the point where now we are courting publishers, investors, and have a thriving early access community and 15 team members, plus some great connections with developers on our way here.

And we are still only in pre-alpha. 

Can't wait to share what's coming up in 2019 with folks :) But that's AFTER the holidays and AFTER the holiday build, Release #11, coming December 8th - 14th :) 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Scot said:
    Well said mate. I find their approach refreshing and pleasant. 
    Renfail
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Scot said:
    Well said mate. I find their approach refreshing and pleasant. 
    Cheers 
    ConstantineMerus
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    By creating a game that enforces RP policies makes this game niche within niche.

I wish them well.
    SBFordRenfail
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited November 2018
    By creating a game that enforces RP policies makes this game niche within niche.

I wish them well.
    It's not like they are making people "role play" and adopt personas and speak a certain way and utilize lore references ... It's just making sure people aren't jerks with their names.

If people can't handle that then they need to go back to kindergarten.
    RenfailConstantineMerusScot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

I wish them well.
    It's not like they are making people "role play" and adopt personas and speak a certain way and utilize lore references ... It's just making sure people aren't jerks with their names.

I wish more MMOs enforced them. Jerky names are a form of mild trolling.
    SovrathRenfailKyleranConstantineMerusScot

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2018
    Sovrath said:

I wish them well.

While I agree with your first paragraph, I find that your comparison to players who don't want to play such strictly rules driven games to "kindergarteners" is pretty unfair. It's simply a difference of opinion.

I personally think the naming convention is a good idea but I won't disparage those who think otherwise.
    GeezerGamer

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited November 2018
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:

I wish them well.

While I agree with your first paragraph, I find that your comparison to players who don't want to play such strictly rules driven games to "kindergarteners" is pretty unfair. It's simply a difference of opinion.

I personally think the naming convention is a good idea but I won't disparage those who think otherwise.
    I'm big believer in knowing what you are getting into and essentially buying into what you agree to.

So if a person doesn't want to take part in such a thing, great, and nothing disparaging toward them. What I'm saying is that if they buy the game, decide to take part, then they agree to the terms. Essentially if people can't handle (not wanting/desiring mind you) sticking with the rules then that's an issue.

For example, if I'm playing on a role playing server I'm not going to give its residents a hard time or try to go against the rules of the server.

if I'm on an FFA server I'm not going to complain and whinge because I'm getting pk'ed

Essentially, be a good guest.

SBFordScot

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:

I wish them well.

I'm big believer in knowing what you are getting into and essentially buying into what you agree to.

So if a person doesn't want to take part in such a thing, great, and nothing disparaging toward them. What I'm saying is that if they buy the game, decide to take part, then they agree to the terms. Essentially if people can't handle (not wanting/desiring mind you) sticking with the rules then that's an issue.

Well fine. Make me agree with you. <3
    SovrathKyleran

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited November 2018
    If this thread is anything to go by, the in-game community is gonna be toxic as hell...and at best it'll be a rather (not the #1 as I can think of even worse ones among MMOs) elitist snobby community. 

Some signs that point that way:

The aggressive defenders of the game going as far to saying anyone who doesn't like certain things should go back to kindergarten. Even insulting the writers of MMORPG.com. As seen by not just comments but putting "LOLs" and "WTFs" on their (the MMORPG staff) posts. Others full on insulting players if they disagree with how the game is being developed or ran. Far more aggressive defenders than defenders of a certain space game that isn't released that everyone loves to troll here on mmorpg.com

Already the elitist community is rising as just seen by reading the comments in this thread. Definitely a very snobby elitist feel that I've seen in other games (mostly seen in niche MUDs that are ran like a cult and hate outsiders or anyone different than them or doesn't agree 100% with them)

No matter how good a game is, if the community sucks its a quick way for a game to die and be left with a terrible community and that is what the game is known for. I hope the devs plan to weed out elitism and try to better prosper a better more welcoming community of DIVERSE people of different opinions and likes/dislikes, if not on the forums but in the game...or you end up with a game that dies (or at best remains super tiny niche community of elitist snobs) as fast as the age of conan pvp servers did (which the Age of conan pvp server is still #1 worst community I've ever been a part of in any game ever. I don't think any game can beat that)
    [Deleted User]Liljnammolou

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:

I wish them well.

Well fine. Make me agree with you. <3
    And, I added examples for everyone's viewing pleasure. o:)
    SBFord

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    jj7009 said:
    jj7009 said:
    Once again? Naming standards like that have never been a thing in any popular mmos that I am aware of. You guys must be from the berenstain bears universe, hate to be the one to break it to you but that never happened over here in the berenstien bears universe. 

“They have a anti-semetic policy and there’s nothing else to say about it. Your feelings are no ones responsibility but your own.” Wow that statement looks pretty outlandish and nonsensical now. If See something isn’t fun I’ll call it out. If the developer chooses to engage in this forum then I’ll ask him about this policy. The post has nothing to do with feelings and I pointed out specific points. Why is it every advocate for this game is a dismissive tool? If you think I’m wrong then tell me why. Don’t say “idc about your feelings” becuase you took the time to write a response. It’s not my fault you didn’t take the time to think about it. Heaven forbid a discussion occur in a forum. 
    As has been confirmed by Kyleran and Sandmanjw, naming standards were indeed a thing, a rather pervasive and major thing, back in the day.

Back in the day when maintaining standards was as a thing, as the only way to succeed was to focus on the long-term building of a devoted and committed community. That is hard to do if your game is filled with elements detracting from the play environment, such as a host of players with names totally unsuited to the atmosphere you are striving for.

Nowadays games that generally apply naming standards are rare, with the exception of glaring abuses that might get them sued if they weren't attended to. Why bother maintaining standards when your revenue model is primarily based on burst and casual spending which can just as easily be derived from flyby players as invested ones, even more so if there is an initial entry cost.

In fact, maintaining standards such as a naming policy is contrary to success in the micro-transaction world of today, as it would inhibit their primary source of revenue rather than protect it as would be the case when sustained revenue was the only game in town.

This is why I was pleasantly surprised to see a modern company wishing to return to the standards of old despite most abandoning them as a speed bump to the current market focus on revenue generation over the short term rather than the long.

Subsequently learning of the subscription only intent, it became obvious as to why strict adherence to a naming policy was important to them. You can't hope to build communities akin to those of the past without maintaining the standards of the past.

If you don't see that is important, or feel that the naming policy would overly inhibit your fun, then this simply isn't the game for you, nor was it designed to be. It is intended for those that do care for such things and value them.

That's the way of things, though. Not every game will appeal to everyone, nor should they. Trying to concurrently appeal to everyone compromises your ability to appeal to anyone. Focusing on the interests and desires of a particular group of players provides a greater chance of adequately addressing and satisfying them.
    Again it wasn’t a thing I eq, I never played lotro but another commenter did and confirmed it was on RP servers only. Pretty much DAOC was the only one that had a universal policy on that.
    Let us say for the sake of discussion you are correct. Further, let us imagine that naming policies were never a thing in any previous MMORPG or on any server regardless whether it be a role-playing one or some other type.

Even if the history of MMORPG naming conventions was so entirely contrary to that intended by those making the Saga of Lucimia, it doesn't matter.

They are not obliged to establish precedence for their naming policy, nor need they duplicate those that came before or the lack thereof.

That it displeases you is an unhappy circumstance, but no argument you can make against it can have more weight than any they can make for it.

In this matter they have the right of way, and that's all there is to it.
    mmolouScot
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited November 2018
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:

I wish them well.

For example, if I'm playing on a role playing server I'm not going to give its residents a hard time or try to go against the rules of the server.

if I'm on an FFA server I'm not going to complain and whinge because I'm getting pk'ed

I don't disagree... but go back to the examples that Tim gave:  DirtyDan, PapaPete and Hydrogen.

Perhaps "DirtyDan" was given that nickname by his barracks mates when he served in the King's army back in '82 and it stuck? Or maybe he was tagged with the name because he was a bandit at some point.

Perhaps "PapaPete" uses that moniker because it reminds him of his step-daughter who died in the plague 12 years back.  Or maybe he comes from a small village and his son is also named Pete.  So all the locals called them Pete and PapaPete to keep them separate.

As for Hydrogen... is that any less believable for a fantasy world name than "Karok" or "Jorium"? Or some other made up word/name? I used to use Malicon for my mage characters.  It’s now listed as some sort of drug... 

It's not like those were: TouchMeThere666 or Donald Drump or similar. 

I mean, even Renfail could be objected to because it could be inferred that it was making fun of people that enjoy Rennaisance Fairs.  Obvious things like my 2 examples should be addressed... but "DirtyDan"?  A true RPer would not be upset by such but might approach that player at the bar and ask how he got such a moniker. 

It's a real slippery slope when you want to go and judge which made up names are immersion breaking and which made up names are OK.

SlyLoK

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I don't disagree... but go back to the examples that Tim gave:  DirtyDan, PapaPete and Hydrogen.

What can one say, take it on a per name basis.

Hydrogen doesn't work because it has a very specific meaning.

If it was my game, I wouldn't allow Hydrogen. I might allow the other two though as those could fit. Dirty Dan the Pirate? Papa Pete the tavern owner? those work.

Hydrogen? Nope.
    RenfailScot

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    What about hidrojin? That could work? In mmos i usually go with either Cryomatrix or kadrey valkyn.

In PoE, i have a marker i put in front of my names, so people in my guild know it is me.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:

I wish them well.

As for Hydrogen... is that any less believable for a fantasy world name than "Karok" or "Jorium"? Or some other made up word/name?

Yes, yes it is, as it is a reference to something well known to be outside the bounds of fantasy settings, whereas Karok and Jorium could quite easily fit in any number of them.

There are some settings where Hydrogen could work well, such as Gama World or something similarly quirky and post-apocalyptic, and perhaps even contemporary settings with the examples for names provided by some celebrities these days and the like, but in most fantasy settings the name would not be at all fitting.
    Scot
    Sovrath said:

What can one say, take it on a per name basis.

Hydrogen doesn't work because it has a very specific meaning.

If it was my game, I wouldn't allow Hydrogen. I might allow the other two though as those could fit. Dirty Dan the Pirate? Papa Pete the tavern owner? those work.

Hydrogen? Nope.
    I think we're all on the same page, and the examples being used in this thread are grossly exaggerative for the purpose of posters trying to make their point. 

It's fairly easy to understand if you read our policy. 

It isn't there for mundane things like "Dirty Dan the Pirate Lord"; if it's got a roleplay reason behind it, we can probably see it working. 

It's primarily in place for things that are offensive, generic (Gandalffff, Drizzzzt), or "real world", such as Hydrogen, or names that have numbers in them, or etc. 

Here's a fun one for you: I'm married to a Mexican, I live in Mexico City, Spanish is my second language. Shroud of the Avatar's world is Novia. Novia is "girlfriend" in Spanish. 

Using our own naming policy, Novia probably wouldn't fly as a character name because it's too much real-world influence in a too-common language. Now if it was something in Mongolian or Bulgarian? Those are far less common langauges and we'd probably never catch them unless someone specifically pointed them out. 

I'm sure some things will slip through the cracks and we'll end up having to read through petition requests to see if they are viable offenses or just people being a little too upset over "Dirty Dan". 

SovrathScot