Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming is an Addiction

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageGaming is an Addiction

If you look closely at the definition of Gambling Disorder (6C50) and Gaming Disorder (6C51) they mirror each other almost identically. Gambling Disorder or Pathological Gambling first showed up in the ICD in 2015. So what took so long for Gaming Disorder to be added to the ICD if it is at its core, it is Gambling Disorder? Do we have the rampant loot box craze to blame or was it just a matter of time before it was added?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami

Comments

• HoldslowhopeHoldslowhope Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Anything can be an addiction it doesnt matter what it is. Of course gaming is an addiction. I think for me its more of an addiction to being competitive in multiplayer games and thats why i like them so much. I like to try and be number 1. I also trade TV for gaming as i like to be doing stuff with my hands rather than sitting and staring.
    HluilldoomexmetarealWhiteLanterngastovski1
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    So can I put in for long term disability at work now because of my issue?  I stay up too late playing games cause I'm addicted.  Oh wait I'm a grown ass man and I am able to function like one and enjoy a hobby.  The games are not the issue if a person has an "addiction " to video games they are the ones who nee old help you dont need to blame the damn games.  
    The snowflake world we live in everyone.   It's never the individual fault. 
    RueTheWhirlTuor7HluillinfomatzRadooKyleranLark3m
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    true anything will be, some are addicted to work, some to sugar, chocolate, food, pretty much anything who makes you feel good can make you a addicted to it, if you personality or lack of will power permit to
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    correction: gaming isn't an addiction. non-stop gaming is an addiction. if you game every now and then it is simply a regular hobby. if you life revolves around gaming, and you suffer when you are not gaming..... then it's probably an addiction. 

like Holds said, anything that is fun can become addicting if done too much. 
    Lark3m
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

correction: gaming isn't an addiction. non-stop gaming is an addiction. if you game every now and then it is simply a regular hobby. if you life revolves around gaming, and you suffer when you are not gaming..... then it's probably an addiction. 

like Holds said, anything that is fun can become addicting if done too much. 

and like we said anything can be a addiction, but I doubt someone would complain if you was addicted to work, or shopping, people only complain if they don't see the appeal or give then nothing out of it
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,837
    Game addiction is no more harmful than any other hobby. It's just popular to stigmatize because it is stereotypically associated with a particular social clique that society loves to hate without due cause.
    Tuor7[Deleted User]CazrielMrMelGibson
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Addiction can be overcome. It begins with the addict. One must want out first. An addict must be able to proverbially and truthfully look in the mirror at their reflection. At that point , seek help. Family, friends, and psychologists can help aid one's difficult, uphill journey away from what caused them to tune out the world around them. It is difficult. It is possibly the most difficult task an addict will ever face.

Once addiction has at least been realized, it must be understood that as an addict you remain precariously on the razor's edge of addiction daily. Find a healthy hobby and use perspective. Always remember you are important to someone. Always. Stay "tuned in" to the world around you.

It sucks. However, we as responsible gamers must be a positive influence on those out there that need to be connected to the real world outside of the machine world they have become lost inside. This article is important and I challenge the journalists on this site to research and report as much as possible. There may be people that frequent this site that are hurting or lost due to losing their way.
    Tuor7Hluillj0shst3rKyleran

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited November 2018
    Anything that produces a pleasure response can be addictive. Some things lend themselves to addictive responses more than others. Somewhere, for example, there is probably some poor scholb who is addicted to beets.
    But not many.
    There are also both chemical and psychological addictions. You can have both, if the subject of the addiction is a substance.

I accept that Gaming Disorder is a thing. That doesn't mean I am ready to see gaming regulated more.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited November 2018
    There are so many things I disagree with this article, I don't know where to start ...

First of all, gaming can become an addiction, it is not one by default. Drinking wine can become an addiction, eating food, excessive training etc. Practically anything can become an addiction, if some some measure of moderation is not exercised.

Classified by the World Health Organization (WHO) as an addiction means one thing and that it legitimises treatment in excessive cases. It certainly doesn't equate it to heroin, as the OP seems to imply.

Secondly, your "example" OP is a horrible one. I've know a person that died from excess exercising, his heart just gave up. Does it mean that the rest of us should abstain from that horrible addiction and stop exercising? Do people realize that there are over 1.8 billion gamers around the world? More people are gaming that driving cars, by a big margin. Your example is the exception, not the rule.

Thirdly, loot boxes and gaming are not directly related. Games have been operating at a profit for a long long time. In fact, gaming as an industry is more profitable than movies and music combined. The fact that the prices remained steady is irrelevant to the cost, but has more to do with what is an acceptable price cutoff point. The fact that the gaming companies want to include loot boxes in various forms also has nothing to do with gaming being profitable, but with gaming companies being massively greedy. They don't just want good money, they want all the money.

As for your last point, your entire premise is flawed. Games don't need to be addictive, they need to be interesting. You don't call a book lover an addict, though he still buys and enjoys books under the same premise gamers do with games. Games need to be interesting, fun, challenging, engaging and so many other things that you can attribute to a good movie or a good book.

Some people think it's a sin to spend time to something you love doing, and it baffles me.
    Tuor7Octagon7711[Deleted User]Solancer
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited November 2018
    I would say that most of the addiction comes from the social aspects of the game, e.g., guilds, Online friends, competition, rivals, hard goals (unlocks / raids). I doubt that most people will play single-player games over and over and over again...

I played a game called Unreal Tournament for YEARS... 8 hours per day... every single day. It was bad. It was the community and drama that kept me hooked.

Moreover, I find no ties to "gambling" as it's written above. I hate the idea of gambling with real money and would never do it... even if I had an endless supply of greenbacks.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Xasapis said:

First of all, gaming can become an addiction, it is not one by default.
    I was just about to post this exact thing.

Maybe it's just a matter of them changing the title.
    [Deleted User]klash2definfomatzMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    As a healthcare professional and gamer, i 100% agree that gaming cab be addicting. I suffered from gaming addiction for many years, essentially since i was 18. Im 37 now and i still get addicted to games. I can control it better than before, but many hours i should have been studying, i was gaming.

Even now, i feel horrible if i game too much. When im addicted, ill play like 40+ hours a week on top of my 60+ hour a week job and a wife and kid.

For example, in my days off from work, i end up going into work so i dont waste my time playing video games.

When bad things happen in my life i wall myself off and play video games to forget about the world. I had a patient die on me in september and spent the next month playing path of exile just so i wouldnt think about it.

Overall, video gaming is an addiction for me, i can barely control it honestly. I also think im the addiction type because i only play 1 game at a time, if im switching between games, the truth is, i dont like either.

Any thing in life can be addicting and i think gaming is a legit venue to get addicted to.
    HluillWellspringArskaaaAmathe[Deleted User]klash2defGobstopper3DTacticalZombehinfomatzWaanand 1 other.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It's one of those things where no party wants to even admit it's a thing, much less take any responsibility for their part in it (including gamers themselves).

As such, it isn't going to get any better by pointing it out, unfortunately.
    Solancer

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Aeander said:
    Game addiction is no more harmful than any other hobby. It's just popular to stigmatize because it is stereotypically associated with a particular social clique that society loves to hate without due cause.
    Addiction is not a hobby.

For most playing games isn't addictive, even if the amount of time devoted to the hobby by some may seem extreme to others.

Addiction goes beyond such in that an activity, no matter what it may be, is compulsively pursued to such an extent that it impairs the ability of that person to function in life, and in the most extreme cases the life of that person itself.
    Malafeininfomatz
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Guilty as charged 

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]FlyByKnightArskaaa[Deleted User]klash2defKajidourdenMrMelGibsonWaanragebulletand 2 others.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Aeander said:
    Addiction is not a hobby.

For most playing games isn't addictive, even if the amount of time devoted to the hobby by some may seem extreme to others.

Addiction goes beyond such in that an activity, no matter what it may be, is compulsively pursued to such an extent that it impairs the ability of that person to function in life, and in the most extreme cases the life of that person itself.
    Addiction also exists on a scale. Some can be very much addicted yet still function in society. 

And one addiction isn't equal to another of the same severity but a different subject. An addiction to cocaine is a lot more dangerous than an addiction to Netflix and the two really shouldn't be stigmatized on the same level.

Where I take umbridge with the topic of game addiction is that it is specifically being used to further stereotype, devalue, and even bully a group of people who have always stereotypically been devalued and bullied.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Xasapis said:
    Secondly, your "example" OP is a horrible one. I've know a person that died from excess exercising, his heart just gave up. Does it mean that the rest of us should abstain from that horrible addiction and stop exercising?
    It means it would be prudent to not exercise in such a way you risk your own life, and if you are unable to stop doing so after being made aware of such being a likely consequence that you may well be addicted to exercise.
    MadFrenchieKyleran
  • nastilonnastilon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I posted a while back that anyone who can sink basically their life into games such as black desert online (in essence a life simulator), there is no way they can do that without seriously harming themselves or their relationships.

Then people pulled the politically correct card and said its rude blah blah to say or think that. Fact is, look at alcoholics. Yes some drink alone but there are tons that get drunk daily or weekly with the same people over and over.

Just because you are playing a game doesnt mean it doesnt have the same addictive and self-destructive behavior that an alcoholic and his buddies would have...
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Title is click bait AF. Nobody said gaming is a disorder. Compulsive behavior can negatively impact any activity.

Waiting for accusations of "going after staff" for this post.  :D

[Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    nastilon said:
    I posted a while back that anyone who can sink basically their life into games such as black desert online (in essence a life simulator), there is no way they can do that without seriously harming themselves or their relationships.

Then people pulled the politically correct card and said its rude blah blah to say or think that. Fact is, look at alcoholics. Yes some drink alone but there are tons that get drunk daily or weekly with the same people over and over.

Just because you are playing a game doesnt mean it doesnt have the same addictive and self-destructive behavior that an alcoholic and his buddies would have...
    Implying that gamers don't regularly play with groups of the same people over and over.

Also, alcohol contributes to the death of thousands of non-alcoholics in car accidents caused by drunk drivers every year. Gaming does not. 
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Xasapis said:
    Secondly, your "example" OP is a horrible one. I've know a person that died from excess exercising, his heart just gave up. Does it mean that the rest of us should abstain from that horrible addiction and stop exercising?
    It means it would be prudent to not exercise in such a way you risk your own life, and if you are unable to stop doing so after being made aware of such being a likely consequence that you may well be addicted to exercise.
    My example is as indicative of exercising as the OP example of his friend gamer, aka, not indicative at all.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    An addiction haha,just look at the money cell phone gaming is making.
    Like who the hell plays games on a 2 inch screen anyhow and ALL of those games are garbage as well,you couldn't pay me to play them because it would be a painful experience.

As to the rest of the people that like gaming,idk if we can cal it an addiction because it falls under the same ideals that ANYTHING we like in life,we want to do it and do it often.
    it is only an addiction if you give up far more important things to game,like work,paying the bills,feed the kids etc etc.
    A gambling addiction,some of those people would spend their last dollar before feeding the kids or paying the bills.I would be far more concerned with GREED and why greed is changing all facets of life for everyone.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think an addiction would be anything that stopped a person from meeting their obligations to society and living a balanced life. Anything that's all work or all play is out of harmony with our true nature.
    [Deleted User]laserit[Deleted User]infomatz

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:
    My example is as indicative of exercising as the OP example of his friend gamer, aka, not indicative at all.
    Yes, that is the point I hope people will take away from your post. Pulling a code out of an international diagnosis coding system and drawing unsubstantiated conclusions from it is wrong. If someone is going to draw conclusions from coded data they should provide statistics on use and demographic distribution.

How many active diagnoses are there for this code? There aren't any because it's in a proposed standard for an upcoming release. The addition of this code implies there were "addictions" being coded with less accuracy. That is the provider would be diagnosing an addiction and had to use a broader category code than is acceptable. The ICD system is trying to make diagnoses explicitly clear, in a structured manner, without relying on subjective free text interpretation. Comments are for notes, not codes.

The indicator that this particular code is getting "government" attention is when it hits mandatory reporting. There are various codes, speaking only of the United States here, that do get reported daily, weekly, and annually. These are often health maintenance trend items such as "smoking status" "date of last pap smear" "last mammogram" and so on.

The author could be onto something but I think the article should have taken a much more "what if" approach than an alarmist declaration, which is how I read the title and the body of the article.
    TLDR; addiction has always been a thing if one is addicted to something bad enough to detrimentally or negligently affect the rest of their lives, and this code is just the gaming version of taking an activity to such an extreme it becomes unhealthy.

Fin.
    [Deleted User]

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

Hmmm, there's a lot of vocabulary being somewhat recklessly used. The WHO has some pretty strict definitions for the terms they use. I think many of us don't understand what, specifically, those terms mean, terms like addictive, addiction and disorder.

A simple example is that we all have addictions, but that doesn't make them disorders. And not all disorders make us unhealthy or dysfunctional. Some disorders can make us even more "functional", in certain environments.

Another issue is how we react to disorders. Many react to addiction in the negative, stigmatizing and punishing the behavior. These negative reactions can make these behaviors worse and more dangerous. Like the author states, we need to be there for each other.

Admitting to having a disorder does not free one from responsibility, as some imply. Admitting to a problem helps individuals take action and find solutions. Every addiction treatment emphasizes the need to make choices.

I think something that needs to be explored are the different motivations for addiction. My addiction to nicotine is caused by a myriad of things unrelated to my addiction to MMOs. In fact, I am still trying to understand my addiction to MMOs...
    [Deleted User]infomatz

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO,