Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone try SotA now that it's F2P?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Has anyone tried Shroud not that it's F2P without the harsh restrictions it previously had in the free trial?  If so, what did you think?

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Hmm, Mostly Negative (38% positive) in recent Steam reviews.
    Aragon100
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I think this is the best move they could have made at this point.  I mean, why not try it out now?  Nothing to lose.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I had a couple hours of fun with it. But the telethons kind of turn me off. It gives the game an air of incompetence. I don't want to associate myself with that, somehow. When I see things in the world, they just look a  bit off.  But if you can look past that it might be fun.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Nope
    LeFantome
    --------------------------------------------
  • hamlathishamlathis Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Has anyone tried Shroud not that it's F2P without the harsh restrictions it previously had in the free trial?  If so, what did you think?
    I can't launch it on Linux. Worked several months ago, now on the same pc it freezes...
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I might try it after the holidays.  With all the holiday sales and specials my plate is full for awhile.  So far I haven't heard anything about the changes that makes me want to play and those restrictions beat most other games.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    edited November 2018
    The number of daily Britannians (new forum users) has spiked since the F2P change. Prior to the change, there were on average about 50 new forum users per day. Since then:

10/25 - 55
    10/26 - 198
    10/27 - 370
    10/28 - 373
    10/29 - 335
    10/30 - 351
    10/31 - 1235
    11/01 - 1784

this was taken from forums from another user that was tracking.
    KyleranAron_SwordmasterOctagon7711JamesGoblinkikoodutroa8
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    If anyone hasn't worked out by now that "DracSchnider" is only here to try and draw players in to playing Shroud because he has an undisclosed interest in it, the above post should make it quite, quite clear...

Forum users are NOT game players.

And at least 2 of those were me personally making accounts to prove that you need to spend $1 to even post on the forums.

Actual Steam stats can be seen here though; Because I am actually both intelligent and honest, I'll state that in order to be certain if the F2P "spike" has actually disappeared, you'll need to wait for the next Weekend figures, where the peak usually is, and to compare it directly to the Weekend immediately after "F2P".

But PLAYING at the time of posting this? 140 people.

That's LOWER than before F2P. Flip the graph to 3 months and you can see the new players are apparently immediately abandoning the game. Check back in a month, when the full November figures are in, and you'll see that "Last 30 Days" switch back to red and negative: It's being held up by the tiny (100 players!) "spike" of the manipulative "F2P" announcement.

Because it's been F2P since December last year.  And persistent servers since July 2016.

It'll be closed within a few months: I originally predicted before 2019, because Ultima Collector only lasted 7 months or so, and Tabula Rasa a similar amount of time after going F2P.

GdemamiXee2018JamesGoblinkikoodutroa8Ungood
  • Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    If anyone hasn't worked out by now that "DracSchnider" is only here to try and draw players in to playing Shroud because he has an undisclosed interest in it, the above post should make it quite, quite clear...

And at least 2 of those were me personally making accounts to prove that you need to spend $1 to even post on the forums.

Actual Steam stats can be seen here though; Because I am actually both intelligent and honest, I'll state that in order to be certain if the F2P "spike" has actually disappeared, you'll need to wait for the next Weekend figures, where the peak usually is, and to compare it directly to the Weekend immediately after "F2P".

That's LOWER than before F2P. Flip the graph to 3 months and you can see the new players are apparently immediately abandoning the game. Check back in a month, when the full November figures are in, and you'll see that "Last 30 Days" switch back to red and negative: It's being held up by the tiny (100 players!) "spike" of the manipulative "F2P" announcement.

Because it's been F2P since December last year.  And persistent servers since July 2016.

It'll be closed within a few months: I originally predicted before 2019, because Ultima Collector only lasted 7 months or so, and Tabula Rasa a similar amount of time after going F2P.

Actually that information he posted was not his or hers, it was posted in the forums form another player who is tracking.

Considering its F2P people can check it out and make their own choice if they want to play.  Darcschnider if you look back at his/her first post was only here to review their gameplay.  had nothing to do with undisclosed interests.   

You can believe all you want about steam numbers its the only one thing you and others can track, but we all know as it was even stated several times that steam client is not the main launcher or most used in the game.   If you look through this forum or the one you were banned from which you keep making new accounts which is funny considering you seem to hate the game so why are you investing all this time chasing something you are not going to play?  or why waste the time going to court about it if you are not going to play?   

smells obsessive to me :)
    Octagon7711JamesGoblin
  • Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited November 2018
    I am sorry if I seem mean sometimes :)
    JamesGoblinLeFantome
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

How do you know this about DracSchnider? What makes you say this?

I forgot how to post someones name.
    He doesn't know me, he probably just see's that I post in these forums and that I like the game.

If more people come play that's great, I came here to post my review once to be trolled that I am a liar lol.  guess we all get harassed if we have different views.   Even his statement could be looked at as slander if we want to get technical is makes is sound like I have a hidden agenda lol.

In any event I come to this forums, SOTA and many others simply because I am a gamer who plays this and many other games.  I want to find new builds, connections, information on what I play.  simple as that.  

I do voice myself when I see someone post things like R23 comments or a video that is years old making claims that this information is still true when its not.  or when they harp on things that were fixed many releases ago.   I never understand people that don't play yet hang to spread negative things about something they have no interest in playing. 

Either way I am here to stay until the day I stop playing :) 
    KyleranJamesGoblinLeFantomeAlmostLancelot
    Lol ok looking at the forums I see my face all over it so I can now understand why he would think I had an agenda.  Can I help it if I like the game and post from work every so often.  I guess if there was more player base in these forums like that of the Prot. ones then one would not see me posting so much haha. 
    JamesGoblinLeFantome
    Sal1 said:

How do you know this about DracSchnider? What makes you say this?

I forgot how to post someones name.
    You can click their user name and see their posting history. Read it and decide for yourself. It's not very long, and it's almost entirely about Shroud.

In particular note the three most recent posts: He actually justifies what I say about himself in the last one.

Whilst simultaneously trying to gaslight me in the prior ones.

And forum numbers are still not player numbers.

You get used to this deliberate deception if you've been part of Shroud's community for any amount of time...

GdemamiKyleranJamesGoblinLeFantomeAlmostLancelot
    I've played it for about an hour and a half or so.  I like some of what I see, but there's definitely a noticeable lack of polish. 

There's a quest in Highvale Keep where you have to find evidence of some missing kids for a dying knight.  When you find the evidence and return to the knight, she gives you an amulet and then dies.  But does she really die?  Because she's still sitting there upright hugging her legs.  Yet when you click on her it says she's dead.  And this is in the very first area after you finish the tutorial.  If they can't even bother to have a corpse properly represented on one of the earliest quests, what should I expect from the rest of the game?  It's not very encouraging.
    And yet it started development in 2013, has taken somewhere north of $28m+, and has been persistent from July 2016... what you're seeing is what it's like after enormous amounts of polishing.

Quite apart from the wider issues, this is why so many of us are so deeply critical; the game has never been very good, and instead has been a mechanism through which to keep begging for more donations and purchases, because if you stop, it won't ever get any better.
    GdemamiEarthgirlJamesGoblinAlmostLancelot
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    When all you do is reiterate (rehash) instead of invigorate and innovate you deserve to end your game making career in a garbage game... I paid for this and just can't force myself to play it, would rather shit habaneros.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]JamesGoblin
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    SedrynTyros said:no
    Emeraq said:
    When all you do is reiterate (rehash) instead of invigorate and innovate you deserve to end your game making career in a garbage game... I paid for this and just can't force myself to play it, would rather shit habaneros.
    That sounds uncomfortable ...               

Yes but less so than this game.... Plus in time the pain goes away, not sure I can say that about play in SOTA

[Deleted User]
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Why should i try to play a bad game when there is good one's out?
    Playing Red dead redemtion 2 at the moment, a good game.
    JamesGoblinkikoodutroa8UngoodAlmostLancelot
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2018
    Games this decade have been about fast product,high marketing and profits,i have not seen a passionate developer in many years.

So many terrible consumers buying every single new hyped game that devs see it and just keep feeding them crap because they will buy it.

Almost every single game i see come out now a days ,be it mmo or rpg or whatever genre could be said to be real good 15 years ago but for 2018 standards,all garbage.
    SorillGdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This game is a 15 year old design and even going back 15 years,i would play FFXI over this without hesitation.
    MensurEarthgirl

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VladamirBegemotVladamirBegemot Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Wizardry said:
    This game is a 15 year old design and even going back 15 years,i would play FFXI over this without hesitation.
    Congratulations.

I prefer games with more depth, the days of the Theme Park are over for some of us.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Wizardry said:
    Congratulations.

I prefer games with more depth, the days of the Theme Park are over for some of us.
    What do you find in SotA to be of notable depth?
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Wizardry said:
    Games this decade have been about fast product,high marketing and profits,i have not seen a passionate developer in many years.

So many terrible consumers buying every single new hyped game that devs see it and just keep feeding them crap because they will buy it.

Almost every single game i see come out now a days ,be it mmo or rpg or whatever genre could be said to be real good 15 years ago but for 2018 standards,all garbage.
    Many games are like that but there are good one's out. Red dead redemtion 2 by Rockstar is a quality one. Bethesda have many good titles just to name a few.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Still garbage game. How they think the UI is good is beyond me.. and not even having the map in game but needing to download it when you open it..

Bunch of amatuers. 

The devs LB found to do this have must not have been very good. No wonder he distanced himself rather quickly from this junk.
    [Deleted User]
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    SlyLoK said:
    Still garbage game. How they think the UI is good is beyond me.. and not even having the map in game but needing to download it when you open it..

Bunch of amatuers. 

The devs LB found to do this have must not have been very good. No wonder he distanced himself rather quickly from this junk.
    A more conventional presentation of the map would be nice, as well as a more readable version of the overland map to facilitate extended travel.

It would also be pleasing if one had better control over which missions are displayed on the compass as it can get rather cluttered.

Being able to lock all elements of the UI in place rather than most would also be welcome.

Other than that, the options available made it easy to adapt the UI to my preferences as to what I wanted to see, and how and where I wanted to see it.
    Hluill