Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall - The Talent System Revealed - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageCrowfall - The Talent System Revealed - MMORPG.com

Crowfall keeps on building towards what will undeniably be one of the most unique MMORPGs in recent memory. Everything the team at ArtCraft seems to do is just a little or a lot different from the norm. And the same goes for how the team approaches their talent system for player characters. We caught up with J. Todd Coleman and Thomas Blair to discuss the newly revealed feature. Plus we have an exclusive look at the video reveal of the system.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Snap today later today. Can't wait to try it out.
    JamesGoblin
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    When is this coming out?

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    XAleX360 said:
    When is this coming out?
    /shrug Next year?
    psychosiz1Hatefulltweedledumb99

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    XAleX360 said:
    When is this coming out?
    /shrug Next year?
    Ah yes the real question reveals itself.   :o
    BillMurphylaxieJamesGoblintweedledumb99
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

XAleX360 said:

When is this coming out?

Yes.
    BillMurphyJamesGoblinKyleran
  • tinnistinnis Member UncommonPosts: 41
    auto text of the video

https://pastebin.com/raw/i5XKmVpa
    kikoodutroa8JamesGoblintweedledumb99
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    This one is beginning to feel like a fantasy version Star Citizen but without the billion dollars.
    AlomarKyleranitchmon
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!

XAleX360 said:

When is this coming out?

The first test of 5.8 is happening this afternoon. 5.8 will likely spend 2-4 weeks on TEST and then move to the LIVE server.

The next milestone after 5.8 is 6.0, which marks the beginning of Alpha. That is currently targeted for February/March. At that point, the game should be close to if not totally feature complete. Alpha and Beta aren't expected to be overly long, so I think it's a fair assumption to say that the game should be live by this time next year.

If you are interested in playing, you might not want to wait until then though. 5.8 marks the first campaign you can actually win, and learning the game now will benefit you later. The game will be the same price either way.
    FrykkaJamesGoblin
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Viper482 said:

This one is beginning to feel like a fantasy version Star Citizen but without the billion dollars.

In regards to the staggered release dates? Honestly, it just feels like they're either re-releasing the information they did last year or trying to 'recreate' systems. I wouldn't be shocked to hear them say they're gonna release a BR mode next year for 'testing.'
    FrykkaKyleran
  • FrykkaFrykka Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited November 2018

Albatroes said:

Viper482 said:

In regards to the staggered release dates? Honestly, it just feels like they're either re-releasing the information they did last year or trying to 'recreate' systems. I wouldn't be shocked to hear them say they're gonna release a BR mode next year for 'testing.'

We did our BR mode in Crowfall almost 3 years ago called Hungerdome… no doubt we will be launching Q3 or 4 next year.
    The race to launch at this point is not vs SC or Ashes... it is and always has been vs CU and NW Players can expect the open Beta by Summer... you have to have registered account before then if you want to try Beta for free.
    Scot

Albatroes said:

Viper482 said:

The talent system is completely new, though it is based on the old idea of promotion classes. Until now though, it was just an idea. This is the first time we are seeing it in game, in any form. Up to this point, it has been assumed that the promotion classes were dropped in favor of disciplines, but now we get both, and the game will be better for it.
    JamesGoblin
  • anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Member UncommonPosts: 24
    This is the best mmo related news in have read in a very long time.
    JamesGoblinitchmon
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    XAleX360 said:
    When is this coming out?
    /shrug Next year?
    The tone of the monthly investor reports makes it sound like Crowfall has been pushing for release heavily for the past 6 months or so. Likely driven by the funding structure and the need for more stable income stream.

Reading in between the lines, I got the impression that the team is happy to release early with basic features. As opposed to reworking all the systems to get everything just right for release.
    JamesGoblintweedledumb99itchmon
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    The talent info is actually interesting. If this wasn't a PvP-focused game, I'd be all in to check it out!
    ceh430JamesGoblinBeezerbeez
  • AnthrageAnthrage Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Great job Bill, thank-you! Things are really accelerating now!
    JamesGoblinitchmon
  • cdubbzcdubbz Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I really want to play this game so badly, it looks like it's really gonna satisfy my desire for balls to the wall PVP. I just don't know if I want to jump in until it's officially released or not.
    Alomar
  • Armegeddon1972Armegeddon1972 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Amazing.... I would have never expected this much depth. As a long time player/tester and Shadowbane vet, you knocked my socks off with this one.

Combined with the crafting info today... job well done guys.
    JamesGoblintweedledumb99
  • Armegeddon1972Armegeddon1972 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    This isn't vaporware. I would encourage all that are interested to jump in for Pre-Alpha 5.8 (if stability is conquered). There will definitely be a curve to this game going forward.
    tweedledumb99
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    When a developer is making a game, you can always tell what features and things seem like they're on that; "f#$% that, we're doin it live" list. I really really hate how they're handling particle effects and AoE tells and it seems they're 100% ok with it or can't do any better. The combat still seems floaty and weightless. No hit or block stun. I hate seeing people get knocked down and seeing KNOCKED DOWN all over the screen or STUNNED. I feel like if you have to tell me those things you're not doing a good job relaying with game play.

Beyond my peeves they're doing so much right, and I'm still looking forward to this... but as I've stated previously, 2019 is the last year they are safe from my release skepticism.

I'll be waiting Artcraft....

JamesGoblintweedledumb99
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited November 2018

XAleX360 said:

When is this coming out?

A few months before it is ready. They're planning on having a "soft launch" where it's kind of close to ready, then they'll tweak some more things after some players have been coming for the launch, and then they'll have their huge marketing blitz a few months later, once they're satisfied that everything is ready.

When will it be ready? I have no clue.
    JamesGoblinKyleran
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Here's a good question, what happens when a player finds a skill path that is OP and starts ruining the meta of the game (everyone starts copying the build to win)?

When Artcraft has to go back in and tweak the game play what happens to the people who spent the time and energy to do the build only to have it nerfed? Deal with it, or start over? The decisions thing works both ways.
    laxie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Here's a good question, what happens when a player finds a skill path that is OP and starts ruining the meta of the game (everyone starts copying the build to win)?
    Interesting.

This is true for most competitive games to a degree. In WoW, you have months where certain classes are considerably weaker than others. In League of Legends, you can have whole years where certain positions are much less impactful. In those cases, players won't necessarily 'retrain' into a different role, but will rather roll with the punches.

How comparable is the Crowfall time investment to let's say a WoW time investment? You could argue that Crowfall takes months, while WoW may take a week to level up to cap. But if you consider actually gearing up your WoW character to be at raid level, perhaps those two games are much more similar?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

When Artcraft has to go back in and tweak the game play what happens to the people who spent the time and energy to do the build only to have it nerfed? Deal with it, or start over? The decisions thing works both ways.
    I might be mangling some details here, but my understanding is that characters in Crowfall aren't necessarily going to be that long-lived.  There are both account skills and character skills.

Account skills are very slow to level and it would take decades to truly max everything, but affect all characters on the account, including new ones that you make after you've leveled a bunch of account skills already.

Character skills are tied to the character, not the account, and level much more quickly.  The intent is that being able to drop a previous character and create a new one frequently should be viable.

Talent trees as in this article are a type of character skill.  If you decide that a nerf means the character is ruined and you have to start over, it doesn't mean you start over from scratch like you would when creating a level 1 character in most MMORPGs.  Your account skills are still there and apply instantly to any brand new character that you make.  Furthermore, sacrificing things to level up a new character should make it so that when an established player wants to create a new character, he can make it strong enough to be viable very quickly.

You might think that changes the problem to one of, what about nerfing account skills?  But account skills aren't mutually exclusive.  If a nerf means that some of the account skills that you've leveled up are weak enough that you wouldn't have leveled them if you had known the nerf was coming, that doesn't mean you have to start over.  You can then go level other account skills just as quickly as if you hadn't previously leveled the ones you have.  Even if you've maxed some skills that are now useless to you, you're no worse off than if you hadn't acquired those account skills at all and had simply not used the training time it took.

Nor does that necessarily mean that you'll forever be behind players whose account skills are all still useful.  Many skills are mutually exclusive.  For example, account skills that improve one particular class only help you when you're playing that class and not some other.  While you can level multiple skills simultaneously, they have to come from different trees, so if you just want to play one character forever, you'll likely end up putting a bunch of development into trees you can never use.

Certainly, there are a lot of ways to screw it up.  Having never played the game, I'm only familiar with the theory at a high level, and not the fine details.  But it strikes me as plausible that what they're doing could work really well.  Or it could be a catastrophic disaster.
    JamesGoblindruez
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

They're basically doing the same thing as EvE.  When they do a major update to skills everyone will get a reset and be refunded training points to then re-apply.  
    KyleranJamesGoblin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    XAleX360 said:
    When is this coming out?
    18 months is the correct answer. It's always just 18 months out.....
    JamesGoblinitchmon

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon