Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti graphics cards are dying on a lot of users.

2»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Newegg has been greatly sucking lately
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Very well then, here's Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_condition-type_0?fst=as:off&rh=n:172282,n:541966,n:193870011,n:17923671011,n:284822,k:gtx+1080+ti,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:16955282011,p_n_condition-type:2224371011&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords=gtx+1080+ti&ie=UTF8&qid=1542684911&rnid=2224369011

The cheapest new card GTX 1080 Ti there is over $800.  The second cheapest SKU is $880 new, or about the same as New Egg.  The few things that it shows cheaper than that are all used because their search function to filter them out is broken and you have to click through to see that it's used.

You mention Micro Center, but their web site says that they don't have a GTX 1080 Ti at all, at any price.

Any other prominent e-tailers you'd like to check for comparison?

Basically, the card is discontinued and once they sell out, they're gone.  The ones at good prices are mostly gone, with only the ones at stupid prices still around.  If you've found one of the stragglers, then good for you, but they're disappearing.
    It looks like Micron has basically discontinued production of GDDR5X memory:

https://www.micron.com/products/dram/gddr/gddr-part-catalog#/productname[]=GDDR5X

Both GDDR5 and GDDR6 have a bunch of bins that are listed as "production", while GDDR5X is only "contact factory".  Basically, we'll do a special run for you if you need it, but don't expect great prices.  Nvidia might do that at some point in the future if some particular customer wants a ton of Tesla P40s, Quadro P5000s, or Quadro P6000s rather than moving to newer generation hardware.  But they're not going to do that for a GeForce cards.  If they were still actively producing those cards, Micron wouldn't have discontinued production.
    Ozmodan said:
    Well that sucks ... guess that's another reason to wait for the 2070.
    Why in the world would you waste money on a 2070?  You can get a 1080 much cheaper and the performance is about the same.  Or for a few bucks more get a 1080 ti which is much faster.

Just to note, the 2070 does not have the power to do ray tracing in any effective way.

I'll wait until I can get a 2070 cheaper than a 1080.  I don't plan to build a new machine for another 9 months at least.
    That will happen because the GTX 1080 goes up in price as it disappears after being discontinued, not because the RTX 2070 goes down.  Or at least, not until AMD brings more competition to bear on that market, as Vega 64s aren't cheap to build, either.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Quizzical said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Well that sucks ... guess that's another reason to wait for the 2070.
    Why in the world would you waste money on a 2070?  You can get a 1080 much cheaper and the performance is about the same.  Or for a few bucks more get a 1080 ti which is much faster.

Just to note, the 2070 does not have the power to do ray tracing in any effective way.

I'll wait until I can get a 2070 cheaper than a 1080.  I don't plan to build a new machine for another 9 months at least.
    That will happen because the GTX 1080 goes up in price as it disappears after being discontinued, not because the RTX 2070 goes down.  Or at least, not until AMD brings more competition to bear on that market, as Vega 64s aren't cheap to build, either.
    While cost is a factor, I'd rather have newer tech than older tech anyway.  I never go for 80 series, always for 70.  80 is always waste of money to me.  I'd rather buy the 70 and upgrade more often.
    I just got a 1080ti (@MSRP $699) in a new PC I put together. I somewhat regret not getting a -70 instead and purchasing new monitors to go along with it (still using 1080p, but want to go with 1440 in early 2019). I admit to not doing my homework enough, as I knew that I didn't want to drop the $ on a 20- series yet, but didn't realize how the -70 series would've probably been the better option. Live and learn, I suppose ... At least I know the 1080ti will still do what I need in the future.

As for the thread topic ... I would imagine that a lot of the buzz around the 2080 ti "problem" stems from the niche audience currently utilizing those GPUs. People who are willing to drop $1200+ on a GPU are probably much, much more likely to use sites like reddit, twitter, forums, etc. which lead to the problem getting more attention overall. Not saying it isn't an issue, because for those affected it certainly is; however, it probably isn't as wide spread as it seems.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I'll be honest, I'd have no problem dropping $1,200 on a GPU if I saw the value in it.

I just don't currently see that much value in anything being offered in that price range.
    EponyxDamorAmazingAvery[Deleted User]
    Hard OCP got their replacement GeForce RTX 2080 Ti very quickly.  The replacement already died:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/11/21/rtx_2080_ti_fe_escapes_testing_by_dying_after_8_hours/

Never overclocked, either.
    EponyxDamor[Deleted User]
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    In my experience, replacements tend to be returned items that were never fixed until the customer gives up on trying to get a company to honor it's warranty.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503