Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76: Grouping Up in the Wastelands - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFallout 76: Grouping Up in the Wastelands - MMORPG.com

When pitching Fallout 76, Bethesda Game Studios described Fallout 76 as “Fallout with your friends.” Within this article we are going to look at some of the pros and cons of this experience while examining how the multiplayer aspect functions.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Biggest issue my friends are having is shared EXP. It causes people to run and gun to make sure they get a shot in.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Biggest issue my friends are having is shared EXP. It causes people to run and gun to make sure they get a shot in.

A number of ways you can fix that, it is an issue that has been around for decades and has a few solutions.

Everything I hear about this game says hold back from playing until next year when they will have had time to sort out all the issues.
    [Deleted User]
  • EggonomiconEggonomicon Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I would take a lot of what you read with some salt. It us a fun game that has minor issues, nothing game breaking. And trust me I was expecting GTA5 flavored with Fallout, what I got was Fallout Multiplayer. My Sons, and my friends are having a blast; and the player base has truly amazed me too. Much better than I expected!

Eggo
    sschrupp
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    We ran into the issue of showing offline to some. I was a group leader and was online to a few. Because I showed offline to one , I couldn't invite him. We were standing next to each other in game. Invite just wouldn't register. Other minor glitches, items not responding unless I restart. But all in all, way to many hours spent in game this weekend. Not a lot of honey do's accomplished

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

OG_Zorvan said:

I would take a lot of what you read with some salt. It us a fun game that has minor issues, nothing game breaking. And trust me I was expecting GTA5 flavored with Fallout, what I got was Fallout Multiplayer. My Sons, and my friends are having a blast; and the player base has truly amazed me too. Much better than I expected!

Eggo

Who has to read about it? There's a million videos to see what the game is actually like.

Yes, but look at the fact that many are BETA videos. 8p
    Fact is its a fun game with far less issues we see from new releases. I have played just about every major MMO since before there where MMOs when we called them MUDs. Not a bad release, and way better than most.

So far issues I expected weren't there at release.
    Massive griefers.
    Botting.
    Cheating.
    CTDs.
    Memory leaks.
    Bad/poor performance.
    Game breaking bugs.

Sure there are features I'd like added, but these aren't bugs, nor game shattering. Maybe its because I am not a Fallout Fanboy, nor even a big Fan. Fallout is an ok franchise but not one I played a lot of. Maybe a couple hundred hours of Fallout 4 at most. So maybe I am not mak8ng a comparison against my expectations vrs what I actually am experiencing

Eggo
    laxie
    edited November 2018

OG_Zorvan said:

Eggo

Who has to read about it? There's a million videos to see what the game is actually like.

Also bear in mind, your watching someone add their opinion and commentary, thereby biasing what you see. Its like reading a good book vrs reading a critics review of said book.

Eggo
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I agree completely. For an online experience, it's too difficult to interact with others.

Even in cases where I tag along and have an epic memorable battle alongside a person, the person soon after goes their own way and I never see them again.

Contrary to most reviews, I'm having a good time and feel there is a decent amount of content. There are also opportunities to spontaneously meet others. There is very little PvP and most of the time people are incredibly helpful.

Despite all that, I haven't made a single meaningful friendship with a person. Compare this to a typical MMORPG - there is usually less spontaneous meeting, but any interaction you have with a player usually has long term effects. The lack of text chat probably contributes to this. Similarly, as far as I can tell, the game doesn't prioritise to put me into instances with players I already met.
  • hotbit8287hotbit8287 Member CommonPosts: 7
    edited November 2018
    Good game, lot of growing potential. Private servers for modders coming. I see no reason to hate this game.
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited November 2018
    Good game, lot of growing potential. Private servers for modders coming. I see no reason to hate this game.
    Potential for what?

This word is bandied around far too often these days. There are plenty of reasons to dislike this game and trying to act as though there isn't is both dishonest and disingenuous to the gaming community at large.

Rawiz
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Potential for what?

This word is bandied around far too often these days. There are plenty of reasons to dislike this game and trying to act as though there isn't is both dishonest and disingenuous to the gaming community at large.

No... it's called an opinion. 

Some people like the game, and clearly some people don't see a reason why anyone wouldn't like it.. others have a differing opinion and think there's no reason to like the game.

Both can be true....  honesty doesn't have to factor into it at all.

Put me in the camp of someone who likes the game. A lot. 
    laxieAlmostLancelot[Deleted User]Eggonomicon

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I stopped reading this article with the description of the grouping mechanic. You DO NOT need to "track down your friends in the world to add them to your party. Simply go to EITHER your friends list if you have previously added them or if they are not friends go to the world list and click on their name. You can then send them a friends request there. Simple. You can also add by the method described but that is just an additional method.
    Pastor_DameEggonomicon

Let's party like it is 1863!

edited November 2018
    Potential for what?

Some people like the game, and clearly some people don't see a reason why anyone wouldn't like it.. others have a differing opinion and think there's no reason to like the game.

Nice dodge on the actual question.

There will always be a group of people in life who are easily impressed by the unimpressive. 

What exactly do you like about it? are you able to answer that honestly or is that too much to ask as well? As it stands, from my perspective as someone who owns 76 and owns every other major survival game on the market, the product Bethesda has released is both underwhelming and inferior to nearly any existing game in the genre.

Coming from a AAA studio like Bethesda that is unacceptable.
    edited November 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mKRf--dR58

Yeah, great game. No big deal, right?

This debacle gets more and more comical with every passing day. Never mind the infinite health and duping glitches that are also present.

Calling this a Gong Show doesn't even begin to describe how absurd this situation truly is.
    Potential for what?

There will always be a group of people in life who are easily impressed by the unimpressive. 

What exactly do you like about it? are you able to answer that honestly or is that too much to ask as well? As it stands, from my perspective as someone who owns 76 and owns every other major survival game on the market, the product Bethesda has released is both underwhelming and inferior to nearly any existing game in the genre.

Obviously you weren't there for ESO's launch either... or any of their other games, this is by far not the worst launch in existence.... not even by Bethesdas standards.

What do I like about it?

It's a fallout game, still feels exactly like a fallout game, just tougher. 

It's fallout with friends, I play with people, we save each other, or interact with each other daily, I trade items with people and share recipes and crafted items with them. 

I enjoy the stories.  People may complain there's less hand holding, I've still found a lot of little stories that I really enjoyed.

I like that the enemies change and grow as I level.  That the world is much more dynamic than any MMO on the market.  Areas where I've been before that were overrun with one enemy, can have a different one or multiples, or could be in a battle by NPC, or in an assault by enemies that I've never seen before.

The enemies is FO 76 are vast, there are things that have never appeared in a fallout game ever, bringing new challenges. 

I like the leveling system, I think the perk cards are a good way to build your character, and sometimes an addition of a perk can change the way I play or do something entirely.

I like how big the world is.  Even in areas I've been through tons of times, deviating a little I often find something I haven't seen before, or unlock a new waypoint that I didn't know was there. Every single time I play it's a new adventure, going somewhere new and doing something different and seeing something I haven't seen before. 

Is that enough? Should I keep going? 

People just loooove to complain, well go ahead... doesn't change my enjoyment of the game, and there are plenty of people on PS4 that I'm playing with. 

As for the bug, most people haven't even completed the excavator quest, I bet that exploit will be patched out pretty soon.... and if the presence of an exploit is how you determine a games' worth than thats sad for you, because pretty much all games have exploits at some time or another. 
    ExistentialistEggonomiconsschrupp

edited November 2018
    Potential for what?

Obviously you weren't there for ESO's launch either... or any of their other games, this is by far not the worst launch in existence.... not even by Bethesdas standards.

Actually, I was, and imo this is by far the worst launch of any game they have ever released (which seems to be the majority opinion, you're the only person I have seen claim otherwise). The online component also requires that quality control be higher than when you are releasing a straight single-player experience, another area where they have failed horribly.

People just loooove to complain, well go ahead... doesn't change my enjoyment of the game, and there are plenty of people on PS4 that I'm playing with. 

How's that framerate treating you? Especially on PS4. The fact that you can admit to playing this on console and call it good while having a straight face only lends credence to my previous statement about the impressive and unimpressive.

As for the bug, most people haven't even completed the excavator quest, I bet that exploit will be patched out pretty soon.... and if the presence of an exploit is how you determine a games' worth than thats sad for you, because pretty much all games have exploits at some time or another. 

How could you possibly have any idea how many people have or have not completed that quest? The answer is you don't, you have zero knowledge regarding it and are utilizing speculative observations in a vain effort to back up your own statements.

The presence of an exploit? You mean like the exploits in their previous titles, all of which minus a few, still exist to this day?

How about the blatent copy pasting from FO4, any issue with that?

Sorry, but your rose colored glasses need cleaning.

maskedweasel
    Potential for what?

Actually, I was, and imo this is by far the worst launch of any game they have ever released (which seems to be the majority opinion, you're the only person I have seen claim otherwise). The online component also requires that quality control be higher than when you are releasing a straight single-player experience, another area where they have failed horribly.

How's that framerate treating you? Especially on PS4. The fact that you can admit to playing this on console and call it good while having a straight face only lends credence to my previous statement about the impressive and unimpressive.

How could you possibly have any idea how many people have or have not completed that quest? The answer is you don't, you have zero knowledge regarding it and are utilizing speculative observations in a vain effort to back up your own statements.

The presence of an exploit? You mean like the exploits in their previous titles, all of which minus a few, still exist to this day?

How about the blatent copy pasting from FO4, any issue with that?

Sorry, but your rose colored glasses need cleaning.

LOL

You say "Tell me why you like the game" 

then I *explained why I like it* 

then you say "You're wrong!" 

classic nerd rage. 
    [Deleted User]Eggonomiconsschrupp

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    why does this game look so fugly thou?
    edited November 2018
    LOL

classic nerd rage. 
    LOL

If that is all you've taken away from our little exchange than I really don't know what else to say.

I never claimed you were wrong, nor did I insinuate you were by using facts to solidify my position. Context matters.

You conclude by insulting me personally.

Classic indeed.

Potential for what?

Good stuff, thanks for your input. I differ in oppinon, I have been playing Bethesda games since Daggerfall. If you don't like game that's fine.

Rawiz
    LOL

classic nerd rage. 
    LOL

If that is all you've taken away from our little exchange than I really don't know what else to say.

I never claimed you were wrong, nor did I insinuate you were by using facts to solidify my position. 

You conclude by insulting me personally.

Classic indeed.
    Well, lets review, you started by saying that people who see no reason to hate the game are liars. 

Okay, seems pretty insulting. 

I stated it's simply a matter of opinion.

You go on to say I dodged a question... that you think you asked but in truth, you didn't... you didn't ask anyone why they like the game, you asked about its potential. Potential is unlimited, it's about what a game can turn into, not what the reason is that people like something currently.

Then I oblige and give you reasons why I like the game as it stands. 

You tell me that "my rose colored glasses need cleaning" 

Simply because I like something that you don't.  

In the end it doesn't really matter to me, this evening when I'm back home from work, I'll be playing it again with my friends and .. NOT complaining.  

And at the risk of you saying I "dodged" another question,  the game runs fine on PS4 Pro.  I've had stuttering at times, but 90% of the time, FPS is solid, I run it with boost mode on.
    [Deleted User]

edited November 2018

Albatroes said:

I see pc version has many problems. I however enjoy it on ps4 pro.
    Post edited by hotbit8287 on
    maskedweasel
  • Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37

Gruug said:

I stopped reading this article with the description of the grouping mechanic. You DO NOT need to "track down your friends in the world to add them to your party. Simply go to EITHER your friends list if you have previously added them or if they are not friends go to the world list and click on their name. You can then send them a friends request there. Simple. You can also add by the method described but that is just an additional method.

Gruug - thank you for pointing this oversight out.

At the time of writing this article, I had been having issues getting that option to appear within the Social menu. I had thought that was the only means of getting grouped up, however, I am relieved that this is not the case.
    laxie[Deleted User]
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    Massive griefers.
    Botting.
    Cheating.
    CTDs.
    Memory leaks.
    Bad/poor performance.
    Game breaking bugs.
    enough said here and that's why i dont buy it (played it with friend at his home, we agreed... next!)
    Eggonomiconsschrupp

hyllyh said:

Massive griefers.

Botting.

Cheating.

CTDs.

Memory leaks.

Bad/poor performance.

Game breaking bugs.

enough said here and that's why i dont buy it (played it with friend at his home, we agreed... next!)

Not sure were playing the same game here. Lol
    laxie