Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN and the Importance of Internet Security (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    How about nope.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited July 2018
    I just use my current VPN for getting around region blocks.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Daranar said:

I have a VPN I fire up in Sao Paolo, Brazil through AWS running openVPN. Even that I would never do illegal activity with because I don't know for sure that Amazon isn't seeing my data, even though I'm pretty sure they don't.

Amazon is good enough with not looking at the data that the NSA uses them now. I was using an instance on US-East on the day the NSA sucked-up all the bandwidth.
  • IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Can anyone explain this to me? Over time I have tried and tried different VPNs, tested Nord, Tunnel Bear, CyberGhost, etc. No matter which one I've used the internet connection only on that PC disconnects, reconnects, disconnects, etc, etc off and on at different times each day. Could be fine for hours on end, but sooner or later the issue pops up.

Now, as soon as I uninstall whatever VPN I'm using the problem is fixed right then and there. So, why are VPNs causing the internet on that PC to keep goofing up?
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    IggiePuff said:
    Can anyone explain this to me? Over time I have tried and tried different VPNs, tested Nord, Tunnel Bear, CyberGhost, etc. No matter which one I've used the internet connection only on that PC disconnects, reconnects, disconnects, etc, etc off and on at different times each day. Could be fine for hours on end, but sooner or later the issue pops up.

Now, as soon as I uninstall whatever VPN I'm using the problem is fixed right then and there. So, why are VPNs causing the internet on that PC to keep goofing up?
    you're not explaining full detail. the pc in which you install the vpn (but not currently connected) will continuously disconnect? or you disconnect at random while under the influence of a vpn?
  • ZebbakeiZebbakei Member UncommonPosts: 38
    edited July 2018
    I've used Torguard for over a year now and I love it. I torrent alot and had like 683 copywrite notices sent to me by my isp, then I got a VPN. My first one was Cyber Ghost 6, i tried the free first, then paid for a subscription. They both sucked. There were different servers for browsing and torrenting, the browsing was decently fast, not so for the torrenting. Then I tried Torguard, and it's heads and shoulders about CG6. Torguard has Gb connections for all their servers and the ones i've tried can easily cap my 200mbps internet. Also it has a app killswitch option in case torguard disconnects, it will kill your torrenting app automatically, or any app. Haven't had a single infraction notice with Torguard either.
    If you catch it on sale its 50% off, which is 6 months for 15$ and the 50% off is for life.
    Post edited by Zebbakei on
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Pretty terrible mis-information. I understand that it is sponsored and all but fuck all if VPNs are "secured".
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373
    IggiePuff said:

Not sure, but if you've had the same problem with Nord, Tunnel Bear, CyberGhost, then I'm guessing your problem is something with OpenVPN that they all use underneath.

My first try would be to see if there's a setting to swap between TCP and UPD. If it says "Automatic" or "UDP" change it to TCP, it'll make the VPN be a tiny bit slower but will keep the persistent connection better.

(Note that I write my VPN bill off in taxes as a business expense, so I'm not really using it the same way most people here are using it)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Renoaku said:

VPN's can be really useless especially if connected to public WI-FI, all that data has to be sent to someones router or cell tower first (Unless encrypted) on the users end.
    WiFi and cellular data are commonly encrypted in transmission.  That gets decrypted by the WiFi router or cell tower, however.  That's usually enough to protect you against people trying to see the content of what you're sending, unless you suspect that the owner of the WiFi router or cell tower is trying to spy on you.
    Phaserlight
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Question is using one of those programs that lowers ping.. a similar technology? I heard some games don't like users to use a vpn as it can mess things up?
  • butchograndebutchogrande Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Wow.

Lure People into VPN is kind of dumb. No Free VPN has any reason to be there just to secure other Peoples internet traffic. Even the so called "free" Security Stuff ist mostly owned (e.g. Tor by NSA) by not trustworthy organisations.

The only case where VPN might be an option is, if you personally know the person who provides such a service, or you build a VPN Proxy for yourself oversees for whatever reason you might have to do so.

Every other Case is bullshit.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I've thought about vpn. So after researching there's still a few things I can't get over.

1. It seems like something only creepy people that are doing bad things would use to hide their activities so the police have no chance of tracing your behavior.
    2. They use up bandwidth which I don't need.
    3. I can't justify the price. Everyone just loves to get me to try to buy something. I'm sick of it.

There's others but I just woke up and my brain isn't fully functional just yet.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

^ Found this talking all about privacy.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

is there one that you can just fire and forget? i don't really understand that stuff i got one with my new internet provider but it seems like i have to activate it manually all the time and i tend to forget stuff like that.

Actually most of good ones are like that. Some come with browser plugins so you just click the icon and everything going through that browser is encrypted. Some can be configured in your router settings so everything you do at home goes through them.

I use them off and on for different tasks. Plus since they allowed cable companies to also sell your browsing histories VPN's can be good to prevent that, if you even care about such things.

I would say the most important time to use them would be when hooking up to public internet sites on your laptop or cell phones, either that or just don't log into anything important while using them, like a bank or a paypal account.

If you just want to play around with a very good free one I would suggest Tor. It's highly restrictive/protective, so most people may not like it but it streams videos pretty well but there is a learning curve. It uses Sscript so you have to approve every script a site wants to run. It also uses Https everywhere which only runs encrypted sites and you have to allow which unencrypted ones you want to run.

Lastly, Google is coming out with their own VPN for Pixel phones. Probably because people are using VPNs more and they can't read your traffic unless you use theirs.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I use it to watch shows I cannot get in my region.
    Chamber of Chains
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    VPN isn't synonymous with security. It's barely synonymous with privacy.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I just got a spam email from NordVPN. I've never clicked on their links, so I have to think mmorpg.com has given out our email addresses to at least one sponsor. Anyone else get spammed?

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited January 2019

VPN's can be decrypted by government agencies or any hacker that wants to spend the time doing it.

However, just like an anti virus, or firewall, its useful.

Unless you are say, trying to hack into a government agency or DDOS a giant mega-corporation, you are pretty much 100% anonymous with a VPN. Personally I use NordVPN and think it is pretty great. I love watching UK Netflix :P