Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage 101 - Is Archeage worth playing?

jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388

TL;DW Notes
Is AA worth playing?
Is AA worth coming back to?
What's the future hold with gamigo?
Were any changes made in the last 6 months?
Will I still be far behind in gear?

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

NO
    Mensur
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I recently tried ArcheAge on one their fresh start servers.  The game itself is pretty good but there were no other players to be found.  The low level areas were completely dead.  It was a few hours before I saw another player.  We started a group because I was the first other person he saw too.  The only other game I played where the beginner areas were this desolate was Darkfall.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Jahlon, is the subscription server (that everyone thinks is a great idea) a realistic possibility? I think Jake Song would literally self-immolate in front of XL offices before he allows that to happen but we all still theorycraft the idea. There were rumors about the graphic overhaul server being done, why are they so opposed to revitalizing the game and having longevity at this point?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Jahlon, is the subscription server (that everyone thinks is a great idea) a realistic possibility? I think Jake Song would literally self-immolate in front of XL offices before he allows that to happen but we all still theorycraft the idea. There were rumors about the graphic overhaul server being done, why are they so opposed to revitalizing the game and having longevity at this point?

Naw, the game was built and designed as a cash-shop game.

There are too many things that are based around people having to swipe for.

If it would have saved the game, they would have done it.   Someone has to be keeping track of the number of APEX Bought, sold, traded, etc.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    jahlon said:

If it would have saved the game, they would have done it.   Someone has to be keeping track of the number of APEX Bought, sold, traded, etc.

Which has also made the game unsustainable, this is why they keep bringing out new servers for people to start afresh on, the correlation between this and the negative impact of Archeage' cash shop is as unavoidable as it was inevitable.
    Without fresh servers player retention would be even worse than it already is.
    If you are serious about being a youtuber, you will probably have to switch to other games just to improve your viewing numbers/subscribers etc. as Archeage isn't really a good fit for youtubing. :/
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    jahlon said:

Sub version is in the works for 2019 - as per insider sources. 

Take it with a grain of salt as usual - but XL has actually been working on this for months - as they have to redo how the game will work without the cash shop.

They will most likely retain cosmetics - but rip out all other aspects.

Both XL and Gamigo know that sub-only servers will be a big boost for ArcheAge.
    Well i hope your source is good on this Kano , many of us have been asking for exactly that for 4 years now ..And as ive said before Sub Only sever will crush all combined server in pop , they will need more than 1 ..

If they do it .. ill be there .. Its a  great game without the P2W wall you hit at end game

And dang the irony is that if they had done it for Trion , it may have kept them afloat ...

I recall a thread a while ago when we were having a similar discussion , and you hinted at the meeting that trion was having with XL the following week , and that Sub server was going to be discussed.. but that never happened obviously ..

Strange that would decide to go that route after Trion shutters
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    jahlon said:

Sub version is in the works for 2019 - as per insider sources. 

Take it with a grain of salt as usual - but XL has actually been working on this for months - as they have to redo how the game will work without the cash shop.

They will most likely retain cosmetics - but rip out all other aspects.

Both XL and Gamigo know that sub-only servers will be a big boost for ArcheAge.
    Well i hope your source is good on this Kano , many of us have been asking for exactly that for 4 years now ..And as ive said before Sub Only sever will crush all combined server in pop , they will need more than 1 ..

If they do it .. ill be there .. Its a  great game without the P2W wall you hit at end game
    Sub only server with a cosmetic only cash shop, that version i would be very interested in  :)
    Scorchien
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Sub version is something I would actually consider playing as this game has aspects I was interested in and since I had some chance of avoiding the PvP I actually considered playing but the restrictions in place made me balk.

• lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I try to buy everything in the cash shop to upgrade my gear but I don't need those things. It is better to grind and play the game than p2w in your opinion.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    opinion: worst mmorpg ever. If you are not a whale, don't bother.
    Didn't I just read you claiming that Bless Online was the closest thing to Lineage 2?

KiwiHypePanther2103Mensur
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited November 2018
    I would play it if pvp was optional. Love the class building options in the game and i found pve and crafting fun. But once you hit level 30 or 35 the ganking starts.
  • CheechGLGCheechGLG Member UncommonPosts: 10
    there is always ArcheRage private server, Free Patronage (40lp/5min) why sub :) why fund XL so they can make more p2w shit in future to try rob us of our money :)
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    CheechGLG said:
    there is always ArcheRage private server, Free Patronage (40lp/5min) why sub :) why fund XL so they can make more p2w shit in future to try rob us of our money :)
    Because even the private server is P2W.

It's easier to gear and play, but you can pay for an advantage still.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I didn't enjoy it the first time, so I am the wrong person to ask.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Mindnumbing single A-quality game.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    opinion: worst mmorpg ever. If you are not a whale, don't bother.
    Didn't I just read you claiming that Bless Online was the closest thing to Lineage 2?

Thanks for making my day! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    It is a mess right now, it feels as if it is on autopilot.  They have bugs that take your sub away, even if you have months of patron left.  You put tickets in and some people cannot even get a response.  Your land either falls or you have to sell it to someone or an account that hasn't been hit.  My wife was hit, I have been hit, it is very frustrating, it felt like auto pilot way before this.   The livestreams have stopped, no communication on the forums...

I have played since launch and that may be coming to a end soon.  The Gamigo switch has not been smooth at all.  It is like they got rid of 99% of the staff and not hired anyone.
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Xthos said:
    It is a mess right now, it feels as if it is on autopilot.  They have bugs that take your sub away, even if you have months of patron left.  You put tickets in and some people cannot even get a response.  Your land either falls or you have to sell it to someone or an account that hasn't been hit.  My wife was hit, I have been hit, it is very frustrating, it felt like auto pilot way before this.   The livestreams have stopped, no communication on the forums...

I have played since launch and that may be coming to a end soon.  The Gamigo switch has not been smooth at all.  It is like they got rid of 99% of the staff and not hired anyone.
    FYI the bug where you lose months of Patron time....that's a left over Trion bug.   I'm not excusing Gamigo for now owning that issue, but that issue has been well known and documented for the life of the game.

The current ticket situation, yes it sucks, but they did public ally state there would be a 20 day delay in tickets as they transition the customer support department to the Gamigo hub.  Yes, sucks, but since they stated it, and it needed to be done, it is what it is.

The livestreams had stopped long before Gamigo took over.  I mean shit, 52 weeks in a year, I hosted 2 Livestreams this year which means I hosted 3.84% of the Archeage Livestreams this year. 
    Aired did one or two, Omnom had 1, another streamer I know had 1, Sparx had 1, so at least 12-15% of the livestreams under Trion were hosted by Content Creators.

I do have to say the communication on the forum line is actually more active then it was under Trion:

So, really, a lot of this is just Gamgio trying to get their feet under them given this product was  dumpster fire.

What you will notice is tha tyou don't see Khrolan anywhere on the forums.  Last seen on 11/2. 

Maybe they fired their Senior "Producer" as a good first step to getting someone who actually knows the game and is competent to lead.