Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Expansion & Blue Mage Revealed - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Expansion & Blue Mage Revealed - MMORPG.com

Today in Las Vegas, Square Enix pulled back the veil on their newest upcoming expansion to the incredibly popular MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV. Titled “Shadowbringers,” Final Fantasy’s newest expansion brings players to the brink of finally taking down the Garlean Empire.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This is all impressive... but I want that 2 second GCD gone.
    Tykam123YaevinduskScellowSignexNyghthowlernatpick[Deleted User]NephethMensurgastovski1and 6 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Looks good. There really is something very unique and awesome about FFXIV, but for some reason I cannot get into it long term. It definitely is one of those games where you can get lost for hours. I have had the same experience with Lotro and EQ1 lately. Its funny because they're old games, but man are they immersive. WoW used to be that way for me, but after hour upon hour, I know everything too well.
    MrMelGibsonViper482
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited November 2018
    I'm thinking his shirt had double meaning: He called attention to it when saying there's a new race that they can't talk about it, but it has also traditionally been about class reveals.

Beast Master might be on the Horizon.

Some interesting new systems with New Game + and the Trust System (which I adore in FFXI). I hope the trust is also used for FATEs as those tend to not have much participation anymore, even if the world transfer may help. In FFXI there's also a way to turn off see another player's trust, in case that becomes an issue.

The world visit feature could be a potential problem for harassment and economy (even gil sellers might peruse it) -- but also a boon if you're allowed to go to a server that frequently has houses and buy one. Hopefully people will get banned if they genuinely use it to harass. Which includes them hopefully implementing an easier way to report others from different worlds in game.

The best thing for me is the new end game for crafters and gatherers. The ability to rebuild Ishgard and open up housing in it once that's done.

I'm worried about Blu just becoming a novelty and them not allowing for it to be in a raid due to the systems they're making for it specifically. But content made especially for it might be fun.
    MrMelGibsoninfomatz
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I find it hard to believe if this a serious comment or not from someone I assume has played end game.
    Viper482
    edited November 2018

Sinaku said:

I find it hard to believe if this a serious comment or not from someone I assume has played end game.

I also find it hard to believe that anyone that played it at even a fraction of the highest level with say this. If they did this, I doubt even a machine would be able to keep up with everything that's going on and all the rotations and positions and resources and class mechanics and other things you have to manage in the already short time gap.

Though there's room for new classes to have lower GCDs if they're simplified to a WoW level. Some already have +30% haste and the speed materia just keeps going higher and higher with the expansions. A few may already be low tier in difficulty.

As a whole, I saw that comment more at the start of 2.0 when people were just trying to find a replacement for another game. But therein lies indefinite defeat. One needs to go into a game with the hopes of playing a new game. It's not fair to any game to constantly compare -- and you'll only make yourself miserable and start disliking everything. Having to master new things and learn the intricacies is part of the fun. Most of the time, there's definite reasons as to why something is the way it is.

An entire rework of everything would be needed. Which would alienate the ever growing population. They're adding new data centers for NA and EU as it is. And their budget keeps on doubling or tripling -- or at least precedence has shown such (as that's only been confirmed with Heavensward and Stormblood), with them increasing capacity and all the new systems acting as support for this time as well.
    Post edited by Yaevindusk on
    SinakuScorchienceh430infomatz
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    The expansion tease trailer which I have to say looks far more interesting than the Stormblood one has been posted too:-

Overall it looks really solid and sounds worthy of the expansion tag unlike some other MMO "expansions".
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It looks awesome. I can't wait to play it.
    MrMelGibson
  • sardaukar101sardaukar101 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Time to renew and prepare. Rip!
    MrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2018

Coolit said:

The expansion tease trailer which I have to say looks far more interesting than the Stormblood one has been posted too:-

Overall it looks really solid and sounds worthy of the expansion tag unlike some other MMO "expansions".

There's heavy speculation on the forum that another job is going to be a gunblade based job due to the trailer, plus this expansion is supposed to delve deeper into Garlaemold (sp) which is where you see some gunblade wielders there. This trailer was really impressive none-the-less. You can't say that SE doesn't make some of the best trailers in the business. Even though people didn't really like the Final Fantasy movie (due to its story I think), the actual rendering was beautiful and ahead of its time. If they could write a better script they would hit like trucks at the box office. Same goes for Blizzard if they made an entire movie that looked like their last cinematic.
    MrMelGibson
    Albatroes said:

Coolit said:

There's heavy speculation on the forum that another job is going to be a gunblade based job due to the trailer, plus this expansion is supposed to delve deeper into Garlaemold (sp) which is where you see some gunblade wielders there. This trailer was really impressive none-the-less. You can't say that SE doesn't make some of the best trailers in the business. Even though people didn't really like the Final Fantasy movie (due to its story I think), the actual rendering was beautiful and ahead of its time. If they could write a better script they would hit like trucks at the box office. Same goes for Blizzard if they made an entire movie that looked like their last cinematic.

There was a leak that mentioned Shadowbringers, along with specific details in 4.4 that turned out to be true.  They mentioned "Soldier" as a new class, which uses a gunblade.  I think they also said something about BLU and Dancer as well.  It's been a while since I've seen it.

It's interesting how the cinematic has flashbacks of 1.0-4.0 and he asks how many years it's been since then.  As well as saying he's been waiting for the Warrior of Light.  Which is odd if he is the Warrior of light.

I'd surmise that this is, in fact, the 3.x series' Warrior of Darkness and the exact moment he became the Warrior of Darkness fighting the Light Void (the angelic being).  From there, one could say that we've been following his journey through every cinematic in the FFXIV series.  Each cinematic showcases him from 1.0 -- with all his friends from 3.0 being in that -- to this one.  With there being lore that there are many worlds that are mirror to this one, some of which that have follow to the light void and the dark void.

We're the Warrior of Light, perhaps, in the first or primary world.
    AlbatroesMrMelGibson

• MajmMajm Member UncommonPosts: 14

Sinaku said:

I also find it hard to believe that anyone that played it at even a fraction of the highest level with say this. If they did this, I doubt even a machine would be able to keep up with everything that's going on and all the rotations and positions and resources and class mechanics and other things you have to manage in the already short time gap.

Though there's room for new classes to have lower GCDs if they're simplified to a WoW level. Some already have +30% haste and the speed materia just keeps going higher and higher with the expansions. A few may already be low tier in difficulty.

As a whole, I saw that comment more at the start of 2.0 when people were just trying to find a replacement for another game. But therein lies indefinite defeat. One needs to go into a game with the hopes of playing a new game. It's not fair to any game to constantly compare -- and you'll only make yourself miserable and start disliking everything. Having to master new things and learn the intricacies is part of the fun. Most of the time, there's definite reasons as to why something is the way it is.

An entire rework of everything would be needed. Which would alienate the ever growing population. They're adding new data centers for NA and EU as it is. And their budget keeps on doubling or tripling -- or at least precedence has shown such (as that's only been confirmed with Heavensward and Stormblood), with them increasing capacity and all the new systems acting as support for this time as well.

I rly did Raid at a high level for a loooong time in this game and i can say, that anything else except cutting edge makes me fall asleep in this combat system. Dont compare to wow pls, this game is so much different. And the GCD is so F******* long and feels even longer if ur solo questing. Every time i try to get back in I force myself to love this game, but in the end, the combat is keeping me away again. I see that it can be fun for people, but its just not for me, if the part Im doin 90% of a game is feeling bland and slow to me, I wont play it. And that makes me rly sad, because I Rly WANT to like it.

Greetings from Germany
    BillMurphybartoni33MrMelGibson
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    love ff14  but found it hard to enjoy once that gcd was implemented,it makes such a big difference in combat.
    Scellowbartoni33Viper482
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Albatroes said:

Coolit said:

There's heavy speculation on the forum that another job is going to be a gunblade based job due to the trailer, plus this expansion is supposed to delve deeper into Garlaemold (sp) which is where you see some gunblade wielders there.

This trailer was really impressive none-the-less. You can't say that SE doesn't make some of the best trailers in the business. Even though people didn't really like the Final Fantasy movie (due to its story I think), the actual rendering was beautiful and ahead of its time. If they could write a better script they would hit like trucks at the box office. Same goes for Blizzard if they made an entire movie that looked like their last cinematic.

There was a leak that mentioned Shadowbringers, along with specific details in 4.4 that turned out to be true.  They mentioned "Soldier" as a new class, which uses a gunblade.  I think they also said something about BLU and Dancer as well.  It's been a while since I've seen it.

It's interesting how the cinematic has flashbacks of 1.0-4.0 and he asks how many years it's been since then.  As well as saying he's been waiting for the Warrior of Light.  Which is odd if he is the Warrior of light.

I'd surmise that this is, in fact, the 3.x series' Warrior of Darkness and the exact moment he became the Warrior of Darkness fighting the Light Void (the angelic being).  From there, one could say that we've been following his journey through every cinematic in the FFXIV series.  Each cinematic showcases him from 1.0 -- with all his friends from 3.0 being in that -- to this one.  With there being lore that there are many worlds that are mirror to this one, some of which that have follow to the light void and the dark void.

We're the Warrior of Light, perhaps, in the first or primary world.

Yeah, I agree. Personally I loved the Warrior of Darkness arc in 3.X so I can't wait for them to expand. Given how they have been doing "alternate" character play lately, maybe we'll get to play as the warrior of darkness' past bit by bit. I'm actually genuinely excited in both 'potential' jobs so far as well as the story.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    OMG finally. Oh wait the same fucking description as the last x pac. So boring.
    DeadSpockMustikosAshikuroinfomatz
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited November 2018
    OMG OMG BLUE MAGE!!!!!! , too bad isnt dual wield scimitars , and the AF is hideous >.< yeah FFV blue mage but ugh

TRUSTS? hell yeahhhhhhhhhhh

damn SE!!! i wasnt going to play FFXIV until 5.0 ><

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I'm thinking his shirt had double meaning: He called attention to it when saying there's a new race that they can't talk about it, but it has also traditionally been about class reveals.

It was Bugs Bunny and a Racing flag = Implies that the Viera race is coming to the game. It's a humanoid race that features bunny ears.

Annwyn said:

It was Bugs Bunny and a Racing flag = Implies that the Viera race is coming to the game. It's a humanoid race that features bunny ears.

As was stated by him calling attention to it during the race section. I was part of the original poll when they asked what race they should include back in 1.0, and Viera won overwhelmingly; further proof is also them talking about Ivalice and that it will be the last race for a while (and they wouldn't just not include the #1 pick from the poll).

Though it's also possible to have double meaning. But I'd conclude that Blu, Gun Blade (leaks mentioned it being called Soldier), and maybe dancer will be the classes. If there's a forth, maybe the Beast Master if there is a double meaning in there (though it'd have to be revealed next festival to match precedence, and it's looking like next time is Soldier).

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited November 2018

Please stop asking for this, not every game needs to be an ADHD spam fest... and there are jobs that let you play at a faster pace if you want to (see BRD, NIN, MNK, DRK) (though I do agree that lower level characters could use more buttons to play with).

As for the announcements, it's a great start, and looking forward to hearing more about Blue Mage and 4.5 tomorrow (how limited is a 'limited job'?) ... a bit disappointed they didn't announce any content beyond the usual dungeons, trials, and raids (or any hint of improvements to that content), but there are still 2 fanfests to go before the expansion, so hopefully they are saving more than the new job names for those.
    Mustikos
    Most sites seem to have missed it, but they also mentioned farming being a thing. Though that's likely an expansion on housing outside and inside gardening.
    Mustikos

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    They will rehash all of the jobs from the best mmorpg ever...FFXI but still NONE of them  will feel as good as in FFXI.

That is why i had to stop playing,not because i felt the game was as bad as the Wow clones or worse,it was because it felt like a weaker version of FFXI.

Square should have went in a completely different direction but i know what their marketing plan was and that was a HOPE that all FFXI players would jump to FFXIV so they could shut FFXI down.Even after the threat,they obviously did not see any change in the numbers so decided to keep FFXI open.

I figure somehow in the minds of developers,they feel like they are doing us gamer's a favor,if not enough money,then we get what they have to offer.Make no mistake,the overall scope of the game took way more work than anything the other games are doing and with no cash shop so they do deserve SOME credit.

Still stuff like crafting and questing will NEVER receive the love/effort they deserve so all i look for is class/combat structure/designs and FFXI still rules the roost.If you want another gear score game then i guess FFXIV is the best and looks good as well and has some other features most mmorpg's don't ,so it is still a reasonable game to play.

Biggest question i have...WHO is really running this game,who is actually making the decisions.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited November 2018

Wizardry said:

(pruned due to length; quoted in the post above)

The game took its cues from FFXI during 1.0. From map design, to quest design and even the combat was modeled after it in a moderate fashion. It almost destroyed the franchise as a result. Seriously, go back to FFXI and start a new character. By the time you reach the end of Wings of the Goddess, you'll likely be pulling your hair out even with the Trust system and changes (or during an experience boost campaign). ESPECIALLY with Seekers of Adoulin and that crap fest key item spree and map design. It's like they said to themselves, "hey... let's bring all the absolute worst ideas imaginable for an MMO, and put them in FFXI!". Most of the game -- 99% -- back in the day was done finding groups, spending over an hour traveling to a spot, and grinding. A single quest could take days if not weeks to finish.

The maps were mazes after a certain point and it took days to navigate (Adoulin mainly sticks out in the days part due to the key item fiasco). The story was decent for the nations, Zilart and Promathia. Okay for Treasures. Pretty good for Wings. Amazing for Adoulin (if you could manage getting to that point... as even at the start there is a hurdle of spending allowances and getting fame for quests even start -- and then running through mazes of maps looking for key items that allow you access to other mazes... because each maze has artificial dead ends that require key items and you need one key item to get another key item, but the first key item to get that key item and only one spot in the entire world that you can enter and run through each map to get to the first... /rant). Even better for Rhapsodies... though Yoshi-P actually worked on that alongside FFXIV.

As for crafting; FFXI's crafting pales in comparison compared to FFXIV. FFXIV's is incredibly intricate to the point that it makes FFXI's look like a joke. I should know, I had five alts on FFXI (yes, I paid extra for five character slots), each with the crafts I needed since you had a set amount of points you could reach. In addition to having several omni crafters on FFXIV itself.

They're also making it so crafters and gatherers have another true end game in Shadowbringers. They are coming together to rebuild Ishgard and make player housing available there.

And before you think I have no true FFXI experience, I played several classes up to 75 pre-abysea, and currently have five classes at 2,100 job points. Have +3 items on my red mage, just got Arke's Su3 set on my paladin and have a full Spell Interruption and Phalanx set for 127-130+ Apex Cleaving groups. I also beat every expansion twice (rank 10 in every nation at least once), as well as Rhapsodies of Vana'diel. I made hundreds of millions selling ninja tools back then, among other things.

BLU is looking to be a lot of work on their part as they're trying to replicate how it was in FFXI. The amount of work required is mind boggling and I'm surprised they are doing it. Though I'm not sure I will like how it turns out. Though their world visit system pretty much invalidates their world transfers -- they're giving up a big money source for that just so people can go to any server they want.

FFXI was a time waster and a social experience. It was a horrible MMO. Only do I see that in hindsight after going back and starting a new character last year (and only just recently managing to beat all the stories again this month due to all the crap systems that prolong everything). Level 99 now is the new level 1 and there is still a year + grind to get good item level 119 equipment that isn't that base, poor stats Bayld equipment. Now I really believe them when they said they just got lucky with FFXI -- there were so many horrid decisions they made and everything was done to prolong your play time and thus your subscription to the maximum possible degree.

Post edited by Yaevindusk on
    MrMelGibson

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    BLU is my main in FF11. I still play it. Time to switch to FF14 finallyl :D
    MrMelGibson
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239

Wizardry said:

Sumarized version

Hate before
    FFXI...FFXI...FFXI...FFXI...FFXI...FFXI...FFXI...FFXI...FFXI...FFXI...
    Hate after

MrMelGibsoninfomatz
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    im afraid they wont replicate FFXI blu , more like they add job quests or duties that let u fight specific monsters to learn a spell...it will be limited and controlled ,anyway is still unknow if Blu is going to be able to join endgame later on ...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Wonderful job. What a great game and putting out content steadily and supporting the game well.
    JemAs666[Deleted User]