Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cardboard “disc”

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
So... in general I’m enjoying F76 but this is one thing bothering me

I almost didnt mind at first, even though I found it really odd to find disc shaped cardboard in the box.  What really put it over the edge was when I received my Steelbook case yesterday in the mail. I’m not a collector or anything but the case was beautiful.  Probably the nicest one I’ve ever seen.  The outside is beautiful and the inside was a recreation of the map.

Am I supposed to put the cardboard disc in it?

I understand that disc clients can be outdated... but the same would be true for XBOX and PS4 versions and they got actual discs...

WTF?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]ceratop001Xarko

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    They gave you a cardboard disc ?  :D Sorry that is just too funny.
    Asm0deusGobstopper3DScot
    Chamber of Chains
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

i am more interested in seeing what a f**K up Star Field and Elders scrolls 6 are going to be than being hyped anymore to play it that's what a joke Bethesda and gaming has become!
    Asm0deusPhryJeffSpicolietlar[Deleted User]
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Raquis said:

i am more interested in seeing what a f**K up Star Field and Elders scrolls 6 are going to be than being hyped anymore to play it that's what a joke Bethesda and gaming has become!
    lmao I really laughed my arse off watching this video!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I blame all this shit on EA, I blame it on EA because they are so goddam good at making money and stick it up the gamers ASS so good that every other big studio out there is scrambling to either cut corners or downright stick it up your ass too. In this case the the cardboard paper disc could essentially double as toilet paper in a extreme situation. I mean when you think about it, it would have been way cooler if they printed the game code on actual toilet paper to stick up your ass and call it wasteland emergency wipe or something witty like that. Imagine a collectors item/game code & actual household item with practical use ?!!!

[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    cheyane said:
    The worst part is that one of the guys in my group ordered from Amazon and his package was a day late.  He waited all that time just for a code on a cardboard disc...

Like I said, personally I thought it was silly but after they sent the Steelcase I really started to think about how ludicrous it was.
    JeffSpicoli

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I love how you're gripping the disc around the edges so as not to scratch the card board with your fingers. :lol:
    ConstantineMerusJeffSpicolisneakerz007KyleranQuizzicalrertezbartoni33TheDarkrayneCaffynatedmikeb0817
    --------------------------------------------
    That’s not my pic.  Sorry.  Maybe tonight I’ll take one next to the steelcase

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2018
    People just now figuring out this was a huge corner cutting game ..haha,no wonder devs have such high sales.

We just went through that Microsoft published Pirate game that was an absolute joke,a slap in the face to anyone who bought it and here we go again,basically a 6 month production of H1Z1 using the Fallout76 logo.

I hope before i die these gamer's SMARTEN up so these devs have to start making quality games and not get rich off of crap.Seeing how many waste money on cell phones,i guess it is going to get worse for gaming but better for cheap ass developers.

I just loved how i happened on Dans gaming stream,also a known sponsored streamer,he made sure to EXCUSE the lack of gaming by using a title that said something like...Enjoying it for the exploration..haha good one.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I like in that video how Bethesda says "we love this engine because it helps us make games fast" lmao.Creating 1/10th of a game also helps you make them fast as well.

I forgot to mention both Cohh and Dans gaming tried to play up the Lore/immersion idea by both sitting there reading every last word on the computer screens they find in buildings..zzzzzzzzz.
    JeffSpicoli

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited November 2018
    Wizardry said:
    I like in that video how Bethesda says "we love this engine because it helps us make games fast" lmao.Creating 1/10th of a game also helps you make them fast as well.

Not "engine," editor. It's the editor that helps them create games fast.

And he's right, having tried other games' editors, I absolutely love this one. Wish it was a bit less buggy/wonky though.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Just when you thought you had seen everything. That is fucking ludicrous especially considering you have to wait longer than those who just bought the digital download.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

That’s not my pic.  Sorry.  Maybe tonight I’ll take one next to the steelcase
    Heres a pic of the Steelcase outside, inside... and with the "disc"

[Deleted User]Asm0deusWaan

edited November 2018
    double

edited November 2018
    Torval said:
    I'm sorry but I seriously lol'd at the idiocy those pictures lay out. This has to be the result of a revenue strategy meeting. Good thing they used a quality protective case to keep that cardstock cutout.

I must be the one out of touch. Why wouldn't I want to buy an empty DVD case?
    Oh no... I'm sorry.  That protective Steelbook was mailed separately!  I picked up my game on Weds but the Steelbook came via UPS (not even the USPS) on Thursday.   

So they literally made not one, but two cases for a cardboard fake disc. And whatever pennies that’s saved on the disc were dwarfed by not just having 2 useless cases, but shipping the steel case as a separate item with UPS...

[Deleted User]d_20

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Torval said:
    cheyane said:
    The worst part is that one of the guys in my group ordered from Amazon and his package was a day late.  He waited all that time just for a code on a cardboard disc...

Like I said, personally I thought it was silly but after they sent the Steelcase I really started to think about how ludicrous it was.
    The entire point of ordering it physically is to use the media. WTF! They should at least have emailed you the digital code early. What a joke.
    Agree with Torval that is some weak shit. It just tells me that have too many young people in charge over their. Please explain to the young folks growing up that physical media actually means a disc if you put it in a disc case. Unbelievable.
    [Deleted User]

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Really cool steel case to protect that 'disc'...

You know what they say; diamonds are nice, but cardboard is forever!
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusKyleran
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    thunderC said:
    I blame all this shit on EA, I blame it on EA because they are so goddam good at making money and stick it up the gamers ASS so good that every other big studio out there is scrambling to either cut corners or downright stick it up your ass too. In this case the the cardboard paper disc could essentially double as toilet paper in a extreme situation. I mean when you think about it, it would have been way cooler if they printed the game code on actual toilet paper to stick up your ass and call it wasteland emergency wipe or something witty like that. Imagine a collectors item/game code & actual household item with practical use ?!!!

The real blame goes on the gamers themselves for allowing these companies to continue to put out mediocre games and they just keep on stuffing their faces and asking for more instead of just saying "NO".
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    crankked said:
    thunderC said:

The real blame goes on the gamers themselves for allowing these companies to continue to put out mediocre games and they just keep on stuffing their faces and asking for more instead of just saying "NO".
    We do complain to them. All the time we knock them for their faults. Please read the forums more.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Think of those who ordered the disc to avoid downloading the whole thing. If it was me, I would've eat the damned thing out of frustration. 
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Is it perhaps possible this was a last minute decision because they had problems with the publishing?
    As mentioned,you would have THOUGHT they would release the code right away,that is what always happens in these cases with other games.

Or were they purposely TRYING to avoid backlash,so kept a secret,that would be some pretty shotty business standards that deserve a lot of backlash.

I would lol so hard if their PR team comes up with some excuse...oh this was a mistake at our distribution center  lol.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Was there somekind of small print saying no physical DVD/CD included? 

Jeez what a rip off, I wonder if some people are thinking about refunds....lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Hahahaha....

Brings back memories. I remember buying Halflife 2 in the store, opening the box at home  finding only a piece of paper inside with a code and Steam install instructions. I can still feel the disappointment while writing this.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Think of those who ordered the disc to avoid downloading the whole thing. If it was me, I would've eat the damned thing out of frustration. 
    When FO4 came out a few people here laughed at me because I refused to buy the store copy with a disc that had only 1/4th of the game on it.   Today y'all are laughing at the same publisher for handing out a piece of cardboard with some numbers on it in a storage box.

What's the difference?
    [Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Asm0deus said:
    Was there somekind of small print saying no physical DVD/CD included? 

Jeez what a rip off, I wonder if some people are thinking about refunds....lol
    According to official information on Bethesda website it is a physical copy of the game.

I'd imagine that you could get a refund from Bethesda if you wanted. As long as they mention that net connection is required they aren't under any obligation to provide physical copy of the game, but since they go out of their way to mention "This is a physical copy of the game", that creates them obligation to deliver you actual physical copy.

Of course any refund requests would have to be made before you've downloaded and installed the game and got a physical copy that way.
    Kyleran

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    edited November 2018
    Wizardry said:
    People just now figuring out this was a huge corner cutting game ..haha,no wonder devs have such high sales.
    What nonsense.  Disks don't have corners to cut.  </sarcasm>
    Kyleranbartoni33rertez