Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Developer Stream Replay - Javellin Customization - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAnthem Developer Stream Replay - Javellin Customization - MMORPG.com

The Anthem team took part in a 45 minute live stream on November 15th to show off the deep customization options for player exosuits called Javelins. The stream provides a look at how the gear and weapons available to Javelins can be tailored to suit any play style and look at The Forge. There's even a special N7 easter egg.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    It's like much, much less ugly version of Warframe. If gameplay will be any good then I'll buy it for sure.
    XophRicardo5802

Thank you for your time!

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    really looking forward to this game.. it looks so cool :D 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    3dom said:
    It's like much, much less ugly version of Warframe. If gameplay will be any good then I'll buy it for sure.
    To be better looking than Warframe they would have to massively improve on what they have already shown. As for Gameplay, thats never been a selling point of Bioware games, its always been the storylines, if it doesn't have them then its entirely possible that they may be plumbing depths that even ME:Andromeda didn't reach. EA's shares are tanking badly, its not unreasonable to think that Biowares performance is not part of the reason. :/
    Ricardo5802BakgrindOctagon7711
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

Phry said:

3dom said:

As for Gameplay, thats never been a selling point of Bioware games

Gameplay of Mass Effect 1-2 was decent. Also they didn't have to re-invent a wheel this time - they could just copy gameplay of Warframe sans wall-jumping but with jet packs.

Thank you for your time!

3dom said:

Phry said:

3dom said:

As for Gameplay, thats never been a selling point of Bioware games

Gameplay of Mass Effect 1-2 was decent. Also they didn't have to re-invent a wheel this time - they could just copy gameplay of Warframe sans wall-jumping but with jet packs.
    It was okay, but it wasn't what made those 2 games 'great' its the same with DA:Origins and to some extent DA:2, If you took away the storylines from those games, you would be left with almost nothing. ;)
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Easily looks way better than Warframe at this point.
    Ricardo5802ZenJelly
  • Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I think even EA knows this is their last shot. Hopefully they make good use of it.
    JeffSpicoli

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well it has always been easy to utilize colors and slap a new texture/color on each piece of the gear.The quality of the visuals/textures though do look really good.
    What i feel they missed out on and i thought was going to be the case,was animated textures.Players LOVE ani textures to slap onto their armor/suits.

Sounds like he gave us a hint that the characters will have 3 different animations,kind of a bare minimum.

I realize it is more work but i kind of expect it,they could...should be adding some new helmets,not sure why they figure that is not needed/wanted other than to save time/work.

Overall the character looks great but this also looks high poly so this tells me the battle area will be very restricted to lower quality visuals to offset potential gpu/system lag.

Also a huge problem most every single game has with the realistic lighting/material surfaces is they look more plastic than metal.Still it looks good not going to nit pick anymore.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Xoph said:
    If comparing it to a F2P title, then its a low bar anyway, not only that, the differences are not that great, the ones its going to be compared to are games like Destiny 2, RDR2 and the like. For Anthem thats where the trouble really is likely to begin. :/
    ScotShadowStyleBStjerneoddLeiHngWeiFolmenTacticalZombehZenJelly[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    How long before it has faces, that is transparent faceplate/turn off helms? We now live in an entertainment world where you must see the face, supers with masks like Spidey often fight without them in films! So I am guessing faces will be one of the first if not the first update, to hell with bugs, marketing has told us we need faces. :)
    ShadowStyleB
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited November 2018
    Phry said:
    Xoph said:
    If comparing it to a F2P title, then its a low bar anyway, not only that, the differences are not that great, the ones its going to be compared to are games like Destiny 2, RDR2 and the like. For Anthem thats where the trouble really is likely to begin. :/
    Actually, while Anthem absolutely looks better than Warframe visually, Warframe is its steepest competition in genre. It has a large and fiercely loyal fanbase that will be difficult to win over. And unlike Destiny, the Warframe community is held together by years of well-earned good will. 

Now personally, as a casual Warframe player and founder, I'm excited to try Anthem. But then, I'm not inclined towards tribalism and can play multiple competiting games.
    LeiHngWeiFolmenZenJelly
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    I'm not sure why people are talking as if the game isn't going to get new cosmetics post release or even pre-release (the game release late February, not next week).
    Scot said:
    How long before it has faces, that is transparent faceplate/turn off helms? We now live in an entertainment world where you must see the face, supers with masks like Spidey often fight without them in films! So I am guessing faces will be one of the first if not the first update, to hell with bugs, marketing has told us we need faces. :)
    The default Ranger helmet has an Ironman like faceplate that open/close. It's used in story cutscenes going by trailers. Interceptor and Storm might have it too. The Colossus has armor plating that wrap around the tiny head though.
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284

I think even EA knows this is their last shot. Hopefully they make good use of it.

Last shot for what? Are you actually trying to say that EA is going to close down?
    I am thoroughly impressed with this customization system. I don't think I've ever seen a more modular cosmetic system than this. It's remarkable enough that GW2 has multiple dye slots per gear piece. This game does that and goes several steps further with material texture slots and battle-damage. 
    FolmenScotty787
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I was always impressed that in City of Heroes so long ago you could customize sometimes up to 3 colours on one item of clothing. Then you could also add designs like dots, stripes or thunderbolts and what not even and some clothing at different texture appearances (matted or shiny or torn) but as other games came out after City the degree of customization was never that impressive. Good to see this aspect here because it is something that makes your character your own. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

Last shot for what? Are you actually trying to say that EA is going to close down?
    Nah they won’t close but I’m sure they will
    be less likely to invest in these types of games. They have been steadily crashing for awhile now and another big lack luster blow could mean change. They’ve already lost preorders from
    just about everyone I know personally and that says a lot. I won’t touch this until likely a
    month in if reviews and everything turn out well which im pretty sure they won’t so.
    PhryRexKushmanFolmen

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Ugh, I don't know how to feel about this game after they butchered my beloved franchise. Guess I'll rebel and stick to Destiny 2. it's good enough for an action shooter. I have absolutely no hype for this game :c
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited November 2018
    Looks nice, A big fan of warframe here but damn the grind they require for almost everything gets old.
    Ricardo5802

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• X-ranfeX-ranfe Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I guess Anthem will have more easter eggs than N7 skin. Bioware love them.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Nah they won’t close but I’m sure they will
    be less likely to invest in these types of games. They have been steadily crashing for awhile now and another big lack luster blow could mean change. They’ve already lost preorders from
    just about everyone I know personally and that says a lot. I won’t touch this until likely a
    month in if reviews and everything turn out well which im pretty sure they won’t so.
    Lost pre-orders? From who? You?

The pre-orders for Anthem are so good that EA has increased its revenue expectations for their 4th quarter earnings.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    "Disclaimer: Everything you see here is a micro-transaction".
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Heretique said:

"Disclaimer: Everything you see here is a micro-transaction".

good. i love em. take my money.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    All this emphasis on customization (AKA things we can monetize like crazy) in this and most other so-called AAA online games is a pretty good indicator of just how shallow and derivative games have gotten these days.

I mean... some of that has always been fun up to a point, but there is one and only one reason why it's so heavily promoted. And that reason is not awesome game play.
    Aeander
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    All this emphasis on customization (AKA things we can monetize like crazy) in this and most other so-called AAA online games is a pretty good indicator of just how shallow and derivative games have gotten these days.

I mean... some of that has always been fun up to a point, but there is one and only one reason why it's so heavily promoted. And that reason is not awesome game play.
    That's patently false. Increased customization is often an indicator of increased depth in a game, not decreased. Or are you going to tell me with a straight face that XCOM's aesthetic customization is an example of shallowness on its part? How about Warframe's? 

The only thing that in depth aesthetic customization actually reflects is an expansive pool of loot drops and/or increased value of character identity to match that. And for this type of game, that's a good thing, even if it is easily monetizable.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Aeander said:
    Iselin said:

That's patently false. Increased customization is often an indicator of increased depth in a game, not decreased. Or are you going to tell me with a straight face that XCOM's aesthetic customization is an example of shallowness on its part? How about Warframe's? 

The only thing that in depth aesthetic customization actually reflects is an expansive pool of loot drops and/or increased value of character identity to match that. And for this type of game, that's a good thing, even if it is easily monetizable.
    Yeah... no. There's the game you play and then there's the barbie dress-up part. One is the core game and the other is optional fluff.
    Aeander
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED