Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As WildStar's Days Come to an End, Carbine Reveals the Story We'll Never See - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited November 2018
    Lokero said:
    I see a lot of people talking about how great and innovative it was while saying, at the same time, how it never grabbed them and they didn't stick with it, etc.

So... if it was so special and great, then how come none of you were actually playing it?  Why was nobody anywhere playing it?  Clearly, the game wasn't very good.

It feels like we are at the funeral of someone who was a total jerk, in life, but everyone says nice things about them now just because they are dead.

On-topic:  It is cool that they are trying to give people some closure and insight into the alternate future and such.
    Not necessarily.

Milton Babbit is a genius. But I just don't actively listen to his music. Or even like it. But I can appreciate it.

Recognizing that something has very profound positives doesn't mean that those positives are something you like.

There is a difference between understanding how something is unique and amazing for what it is and enjoying that something.

It goes both ways. I can enjoy pedestrian entertainment, maybe even laugh a WHOLE lot, but that doesn't mean it's brilliant.

I realize that's not something everyone can wrap their heads around but most people only engage in things they like and rarely have need to engage in something they don't. You will find that more in creative circles a whole lot because there is a certain need to understand what is going on in any given genre and one might even understand and appreciate the nuance of a particular bit of work without really liking it.

As for Wildstar? I hated the beginning, bugged the heck out of me as far as running here, running there, too world of warcraft themepark for my taste. But I did recognize that it had quite a lot of humor and that was a definite positive. And something rather unique.

Still didn't want to play it.

MadFrenchieLokero
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I just couldn't get into the combat. Plus the story didn't hook me. I can put up with one or the other not engaging me but not both. The overall theme was great though and was the reason I tried it several times.
    Lokero

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sadly i see so many truly do not see the game design in these games.Perhaps it is better that way if it allows you to enjoy a game but imo your being fooled by a cheap lousy game design.Then again i guess it depends on what you expect from a RPG,the world ,systems and visuals.

When i played,i was looking at the npc's with a little orange marker over their head,that is almost an immediate logout and delete.I pushed on for awhile trying to see if there was anything in the game.Nope i was in some small lane hallways,looking for nothing than a weak looking layout and npc's to click.

I should feel immersed,i should be clicking npc's to hear what they have to say not because they have a little orange marker over their head,otherwise nobody would click them.

It did not feel like a world to me,it felt like zones linear placed to dot down some mobs to dot in some errand quests.
    BTW i never liked the red carpet idea in FXIV either,again ruins immersion,i really should be seeing VERY little with my character's eyes unless it is feasible, realistic.The surroundings,assets should be there for a reason and not just to fill in the block space on the maps.

IMO it looked like a team that just wanted to make a mmo and a rpg but really didn't put enough thought into all of it's design systems and ideas.The ONLY positives i got out of Carbine,they made some fun to watch marketing videos.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    They should have just make WOW 2.   

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited November 2018
    When you advertise how you are a WoW killer, and casuals should NOT play your game, and only the 1% of raiders from WOW should play and how all casuals are scumbags...then you are destined to kill your own game by pissing off the vast majority of gamers. They actually insulted all the WoW players (and the casuals) at one point lol
    UngoodHeretique

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Sovrath said:
    Lokero said:
    I see a lot of people talking about how great and innovative it was while saying, at the same time, how it never grabbed them and they didn't stick with it, etc.

So... if it was so special and great, then how come none of you were actually playing it?  Why was nobody anywhere playing it?  Clearly, the game wasn't very good.

It feels like we are at the funeral of someone who was a total jerk, in life, but everyone says nice things about them now just because they are dead.

On-topic:  It is cool that they are trying to give people some closure and insight into the alternate future and such.
    Not necessarily.

Milton Babbit is a genius. But I just don't actively listen to his music. Or even like it. But I can appreciate it.

Recognizing that something has very profound positives doesn't mean that those positives are something you like.

There is a difference between understanding how something is unique and amazing for what it is and enjoying that something.

It goes both ways. I can enjoy pedestrian entertainment, maybe even laugh a WHOLE lot, but that doesn't mean it's brilliant.

I realize that's not something everyone can wrap their heads around but most people only engage in things they like and rarely have need to engage in something they don't. You will find that more in creative circles a whole lot because there is a certain need to understand what is going on in any given genre and one might even understand and appreciate the nuance of a particular bit of work without really liking it.

As for Wildstar? I hated the beginning, bugged the heck out of me as far as running here, running there, too world of warcraft themepark for my taste. But I did recognize that it had quite a lot of humor and that was a definite positive. And something rather unique.

Still didn't want to play it.
    I should preface this with the fact that I never played WildStar, so I'm just trying to figure out the inconsistency of it.

I know what you are saying, but at the end of the day, it wasn't just something that some people didn't like and didn't play.  Pretty much nobody wanted to play it.  It wasn't divisive, it was pretty much completely shunned.

You would think that if it was widely appreciated for those unique elements, that there would have been some sort of reasonably-sized following playing it, even if you weren't one of them.

If the general consensus is that the ideas behind the game were brilliant(which, it sounds like is where you stand), then the game itself must have been absolutely terrible for there to be no one playing it.
    When people are making comments like "if it had more time" and "potential WoW-killer!" and such, it sounds as if it was a game that just needed some polish.  But, clearly, it had way deeper issues than that for it to completely die out as rapidly as it did.

Which kind of comes back to the point of my original post:
    No matter how great the conceptualization of it, the game itself must not have been very good, at all.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    They Advertised this game as some Hardcore Raider game.. so I never touched it.

Kudos to them at least giving a farewell as opposed to just shutting the lights off with nothing. But, if the game really was for hardcore players, story is often not something they get involved in.

But.. Kudos.. none the less.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Well made game that had uninspiring combat. Some food really looks delicious to eat , but when you bite into it the taste wasn't very good. That's my sad WildStar analogy.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Lokero said:

For me, the combat drove me away. It drove a lot of people away. Poor implementation of one big part of a game can overshadow the other parts they were innovative and enjoyable. If you go to a restaurant and your steak is overdone and has too much gristle does it counter the fact the restaurant has a pleasant live string quartet playing in the background or that the decor is unique and that you want to spend hours just looking at it or that the wait staff is friendly and attentive? No. You go to the restaurant for the meal and a bad meal can keep you from going back regardless of everything else.

Being "not very good at all" implies it was bad in all aspects. Wildstar was great in some aspects, not just some key ones. After it closes down I will still occasionally play the soundtracks or even look at the screenshots and remember floating down one of the rivers in the game just chillin.

Or to use your funeral example, it wasn't a "total jerk" just a "jerk" who had some good points.

bcbullyLokero
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Always wondered why they even developed this game. Everyone wanted Lineage 3 but instead they gave us WildStar.
    bcbully
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Nah nah Naaah nah
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    My telegraphed response to anything Wildstar related.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wildstar was very in your face, fun for short bursts, exhausting in the long run. Coupled with a convulted and screen polluting UI and hefty requirements despite its simple looks made sure there mever was any mass appeal. And 40 man raids? Massive missjudgement.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Talahar
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Kabulozo said:

WS has been in operation for 4 years and NCSoft still haven't got the development cost back to, at least, break even.

Huge lesson to be learned by them: investing in a MMO for western tastes to western people is a money sink. Their new golden egg chicken lies on MMOs for mobile directed towards the eastern makerts.

I don't think that is a fair statement. Wildstar had a lot of problems that the dev team apparently didn't know how to deal with. If you make a bad car game and it fails it doesn't succeed that doesn't mean car games can't be successful. If only investors were savy enough to understand why certain games sell and others don't.

I'm not sure why the Asian games do sell better, more tolerance for lackluster games? Or just sheer numbers. The obvious choice is to target both markets though of course.