Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Ark Cruises Over 350K Concurrent users, an English Patch Review & Soul Master Guide - MMORPG.co

2»

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Quizzical said:
    Aeander said:
    Mensur said:
    I fucking hate gender lock! 

Come at me SJWs! 
    You might be kidding but this type of nonsensical dumb is very real and common place. :D
    The only thing that made this nonsensical and dumb was the "come at me SJWs." Disliking gender locking is completely valid when we aren't talking about a character-story-centric roleplaying game.
    What exactly does disliking gender lock have to do with "social justice warriors"?  I thought everyone disliked gender lock to some degree, with the only difference that some people really hate it while others don't care, with most gamers much closer to the "don't care" side of things.  Is there anyone out there who would love a game except that it lacks gender-locked classes, and therefore, he won't play it?
    If I had to take a guess, he was taking a shot at certain games media and left wing commentators who have called gamers out as sexists for not liking gender locking. It is a thing that has happened, in defiance of all logic, and it is laughable, but I'd hardly call it noteworthy. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    The English patch is an unofficial one by the by.
    [Deleted User]wingood

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

Torval said:

It doesn't surprise me this game is taking hold. It looks a LOT like a modern Lineage, the most popular MMO in Korea. Lineage turned 20 years old this last September and is still NCSofts strongest revenue turner. When you look at NCSoft mobile numbers it's because Lineage was ported so successfully to mobile.

My guess, Koreans see a possible Lineage successor and are giving it a fair shake. This is something games like Devillian missed by a mile because they just didn't get it.

Eh.. maybe. But Lineage 1 just received a massive upgrade in graphics. 16:9 support and HD graphics, Lineage 1 is looking better than ever. Sadly I doubt we'll ever see this in NA.

http://i.17173cdn.com/2fhnvk/YWxqaGBf/cms3/EMNMeBbmntqFurt.jpg
    http://news.17173.com/content/05162018/114708355.shtml
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Gender locking won't keep me from playing a game that's good (not speaking of Lost Ark specifically, just a general thought). But it's one of those minor 'con' points I'll apply to a game.

I never play a game as the character. I create a character to play. Comes from being a Dungeon Master (a long time ago) and creating NPC's with backstories, motivations, personalities, etc.

In a game that's not gender-locked, I'm free to envision a character I think is suitable to the world and the class/build I want to play. Gender-locking limits that choice, so I adjust accordingly and move on.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Any word on the console version?
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Aeander said:
    Quizzical said:
    Aeander said:
    Mensur said:
    I fucking hate gender lock! 

Come at me SJWs! 
    You might be kidding but this type of nonsensical dumb is very real and common place. :D
    The only thing that made this nonsensical and dumb was the "come at me SJWs." Disliking gender locking is completely valid when we aren't talking about a character-story-centric roleplaying game.
    What exactly does disliking gender lock have to do with "social justice warriors"?  I thought everyone disliked gender lock to some degree, with the only difference that some people really hate it while others don't care, with most gamers much closer to the "don't care" side of things.  Is there anyone out there who would love a game except that it lacks gender-locked classes, and therefore, he won't play it?
    If I had to take a guess, he was taking a shot at certain games media and left wing commentators who have called gamers out as sexists for not liking gender locking. It is a thing that has happened, in defiance of all logic, and it is laughable, but I'd hardly call it noteworthy. 
    If I had to take a guess, it was a joke aimed at numb nuts squealing "SJW" or "left" for the most illogical nonsensical reasons.

Who knows these days though? World War Dumb was lost by any anybody with an IQ over 85. I don't even know if gravity is allowed to be real anymore or if it's some fake nooz liberal agenda trying to tread on my bodies right to be weightless.  :D
    Aeander
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited November 2018
    Gender locking won't keep me from playing a game that's good (not speaking of Lost Ark specifically, just a general thought). But it's one of those minor 'con' points I'll apply to a game.

I never play a game as the character. I create a character to play. Comes from being a Dungeon Master (a long time ago) and creating NPC's with backstories, motivations, personalities, etc.

In a game that's not gender-locked, I'm free to envision a character I think is suitable to the world and the class/build I want to play. Gender-locking limits that choice, so I adjust accordingly and move on.
    This is roughly how I feel.

If your game has a character with an important identity (like Nathan Drake, Geralt of Rivia, Alloy, Lara Croft, etc.) then "gender locking" and a lack of character creation doesn't matter. You are playing as a character that matters.

But don't feed me bullshit like "you are playing as THE Shadow, not a Shadow." That's nothing more than a cop out for cut costs. That character's identity doesn't matter. It isn't important. It doesn't even exist beyond a brief narration in character creation. All this does is give the player all the drawbacks of a set character without any of the value of such.
    Post edited by Aeander on
  • ISwordwindISwordwind Member CommonPosts: 1
    This game is completely unoriginal. The game play is a rip off of Diablo. This not not necessarily a bad thing if the game's story is worth it. My Korean is not great but the themes of this game are laughable. For the first 40 levels, there is a medical theme that drastically changes form one small area to the next making one feel like they are trying hard to create a variety of areas but there never feels like an overarching theme to the medical part. Once you get on a ship, the islands feel like different Japanese anime. They are so thematically different to each other and the original story that it is jarring. There is a tiny person island then a cyber punk island. If you combine technology and medieval themes, there has to be a reason. For example, Final Fantasy does a good job of combining these elements. This game does not. There is a very medieval region where it feels weird for the player character to have guns and technology then there is a cyberpunk region where there are computers everywhere. Maybe I am missing something because I am trying to level and am not translating much of the game but the story and themes are so bad that it can't justify stealing Diablo' s gameplay. There are other issues too. Like being pointlessly pretty, not letting you have much character customization, and having to wait 2 hours while logging in. If I didn't live in Korea and have Korean friends playing this game, I would have quit within a couple hours. I don't usually write reviews, but level 40 to 50 was so bad I received stress and wanted to quit despite my friends telling me it would be better at level 50.if you want to play an ARPG play Diablo. The gameplay is good. The story is good. And it is in lots of languages. Lost Ark copies stories elements and game play. It makes characters who are two dimensional and unrelatable to. The it creates a fragmented world without any continuity. I can think of plenty of old Memos that I thought were old and boring that do much better than this game
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Considering how much hype this game has been getting lately, to the point where you see many youtubers making videos "how to buy a korean account to get into lost ark" and others expecting a version for the west, i don't know it just gives me a deja vu feeling, now they're just missing to say that "this game will be the saviour of the mmo genre!", like how ArcheAge, Revelation and Bless were suppose to be? but i digress.

I might sound cynical with all that but i wouldn't like to see a lot of salty players complaining about the game when they realize that their new mmo is p2w like the rest of mmos that comes from the east and even if is not p2w in korea, that is very posible to change when a publisher pick it up and bring it to the west.