Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Ark Cruises Over 350K Concurrent users, an English Patch Review & Soul Master Guide - MMORPG.co

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageLost Ark Cruises Over 350K Concurrent users, an English Patch Review & Soul Master Guide - MMORPG.com

There's tons of nifty tidbits of news floating around about Lost Ark that is currently sitting in open beta in Korea. The game seems to be taking hold in Korea as the concurrent user number has soared over the 350,000 mark according to KR news site, Joins.com which also reports that queue issues persist, though Smilegate has plans to continue adding new servers as time goes on.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Is this one of those situations where you're supposed to be a Korean citizen in order to play? Just curious so I don't get too hyped yet. As much as I'm interested in playing, I don't really want to break their ToS, or even more so, take someone else's spot in the queue.
    arbi15wingood
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    So whats the verdict on this game ? I'v watched a few streams , Graphics and animations look great but those linear rat in maze zone designs....Ugh....
    mcrippinsMensurAsm0deus
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    I fucking hate gender lock! 

Come at me SJWs! 
    KyleranJeffSpicolivelimiriusConstantineMerusAsm0deusHluillLeiHngWeigastovski1Strizzy12ceh430

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Already knew it would go mainstream just seeing the work put into the game after all the years, on the west it'll likely also be huge, just the following is already big.

But, The Lineage is also coming and that one is current-gen (UE4) ARPG so we'll see if they see a point on going west when NcSoft is also pushing on TL.
    MensurXophwingood
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited November 2018
    Concurrent users now there's a good litmus. Not registered rubbish figure. This means these people are playing at the same time wonderful and hopefully this means we get it soon. Oh come on throw us a bone please...

Image result for dog waiting for bone emoji
    MensurIlayabartoni33wingoodinfomatzcheyaneceh430

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    MaxBacon said:
    Already knew it would go mainstream just seeing the work put into the game after all the years, on the west it'll likely also be huge, just the following is already big.

But, The Lineage is also coming and that one is current-gen (UE4) ARPG so we'll see if they see a point on going west when NcSoft is also pushing on TL.
    Yeah, but you know how it is with most of these Korean games, takes them so long to localize for the west even SC is likely to launch before this one does here.
    OzmodanMensurbartoni33Asm0deusgastovski1wingood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    DMKano said:
    thunderC said:
    So whats the verdict on this game ? I'v watched a few streams , Graphics and animations look great but those linear rat in maze zone designs....Ugh....

Ever played Devilian - this is a better version of that. 

But still the same linear leveling and linear gear progression MMO

This is not a PoE/Grim Dawn or Diablo2 style game with deep skill builds and deep gear builds.

It's a linear MMO with arpg camera and combat, the key here is longevity - especially in the west.

I really hated that game with a passion, Very disappointing to hear.
    Mensurceratop001Pesky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:

Yeah, but you know how it is with most of these Korean games, takes them so long to localize for the west even SC is likely to launch before this one does here.
    It might be different this time though: https://mmos.com/news/smilegate-confirms-lost-ark-coming-west

Usually China proves to be a more alluring next-step for Korean MMORPG developers, but the recent gaming approval freeze in China means that the world's biggest gaming market is currently off limits. To give a sense of China's importance to SmileGate, 80% of their total sales last year came from the Chinese version of their tactical shooter Crossfire.
    bartoni33Kyleran
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    With all the crackdowns on gaming in China these days, developers are going to take their games west instead. They've already indicated that this one's coming west, though when is the key. Anything more than a year from now and it becomes irrelevant, particularly in light of its now-aging engine, Unreal Engine 3.
    KyleranSabracceh430

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 
    Unfortunately, character creation is just one of those aspects at which the ARPG genre fails utterly. Even Path of Exile is gender locked with no character creation customization.
    MensurJeffSpicolivelimiriusSBFordkitaradarbi15Asm0deusgastovski1Ozmodan
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515

Aeander said:

Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 

Unfortunately, character creation is just one of those aspects at which the ARPG genre fails utterly. Even Path of Exile is gender locked with no character creation customization.

which is my I am never playing witch or scion! great classes but NOPE.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

Mensur said:

Aeander said:

Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 

I just tend to get disappointed that the classes that visually appeal to me in these games are rarely the classes that mechanically appeal to me.

In Diablo 3, the male Demon Hunter and male Wizard look the coolest to me, but the most fun class to me is the Monk.

In Path of Exile, the Shadow and Duelist are the classes that look cool to me, but I would otherwise want to play a Templar or Scion.

In Lost Ark, I will play a gunner based on appearance, but if this Soul Master weren't gender locked to female, it would be my first choice. I love fist classes.
    Mensurgastovski1
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    This game lacks longevity.
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276

Aeander said:

Mensur said:

Aeander said:

Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 

I just tend to get disappointed that the classes that visually appeal to me in these games are rarely the classes that mechanically appeal to me.

In Diablo 3, the male Demon Hunter and male Wizard look the coolest to me, but the most fun class to me is the Monk.

In Path of Exile, the Shadow and Duelist are the classes that look cool to me, but I would otherwise want to play a Templar or Scion.

In Lost Ark, I will play a gunner based on appearance, but if this Soul Master weren't gender locked to female, it would be my first choice. I love fist classes.

so what ur saying is u like a good fisting? that came over wrong.... anyways genderlock shouldnt be a reason not to try something tbh if u enjoy a class (in other games) based on what it can do rather than what it looks like they u will enjoy yourself more. No one is gonna know if ur male and playing as a female and vice verse. BTW im not SJW or whatever just stating a point i play to PLAY not to play as a male!
    MensurKyleran
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Mensur said:

Aeander said:

Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 

Im reading your posts in Bronn's voice. Pretty good stuff.
    edited November 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    Aeander said:
    Mensur said:

Aeander said:

Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 

That's where you make your mistake, and a big one for that matter:

The whole concept of both Diablo 2 and PoE is that you are not picking a class to play with, you are picking THE CHARACTER to play with.

Shadow is not shadow. He is THE shadow. The same way in D2 you were not picking a druid, you were picking the druid.

Now, if that's bad or good, it's another discussion. I don't mind. 
    I'm fully aware of that, but that in no way reduces my criticism. That's nothing more than an excuse to cut costs. A short, nebulous, insignificant lore blurb is a lot easier and cheaper to produce than an entirely new character model and animations.

It doesn't justify gender locking in Vindictus and it doesn't justify it here. It could barely justify the prosecution of a war criminal.
    Kyleran
  • arbi15arbi15 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    this is not seen as a lineage successor, but a fkin great mmo since a long time. There is also lineage eternal, which we might be able to play in 2367864years.
    Kyleran
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 
    You might be kidding but this type of nonsensical dumb is very real and common place. :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 
    You might be kidding but this type of nonsensical dumb is very real and common place. :D
    The only thing that made this nonsensical and dumb was the "come at me SJWs." Disliking gender locking is completely valid when we aren't talking about a character-story-centric roleplaying game.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I am with you, I don't play games to "play as a male" however I don't like to play female characters
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Aeander said:
    Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 
    The only thing that made this nonsensical and dumb was the "come at me SJWs." Disliking gender locking is completely valid when we aren't talking about a character-story-centric roleplaying game.
    Thank you for expounding upon what I said. It will be very helpful for people who completely missed the point.  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

SBFord said:

With all the crackdowns on gaming in China these days, developers are going to take their games west instead. They've already indicated that this one's coming west, though when is the key. Anything more than a year from now and it becomes irrelevant, particularly in light of its now-aging engine, Unreal Engine 3.

That might be true if there were anything else in this genre that we knew was coming in the next year. As far as I know, all the better known projects (Lineage, Wolcen, Last Epoch) don't have solid dates...I think Torchlight said 2019 but nothing more specific.
    KnaveSkye said:

SBFord said:

That might be true if there were anything else in this genre that we knew was coming in the next year. As far as I know, all the better known projects (Lineage, Wolcen, Last Epoch) don't have solid dates...I think Torchlight said 2019 but nothing more specific.
    This. As long as it beats Diablo 4 and Project TL to the market, two years from now will be as relevant as tomorrow.

Also, the UE3 v UE4 thing is going to be irrelevant to most gamers. Lost Ark stands as far more graphically impressive than any released ARPG to date.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Aeander said:
    Mensur said:

Come at me SJWs! 
    What exactly does disliking gender lock have to do with "social justice warriors"?  I thought everyone disliked gender lock to some degree, with the only difference that some people really hate it while others don't care, with most gamers much closer to the "don't care" side of things.  Is there anyone out there who would love a game except that it lacks gender-locked classes, and therefore, he won't play it?