Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Legendary Servers Reignite A Legendary Community - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Torval said:
    So to get things straight..

I haven't played in forever

I am a Hardcore gamer not a writer who works on a editorial so our views probably differ because i actually play games
    So do you play games or haven't you played in forever? Which is it?

Just so you know where we actually stand. I've been playing since early 2007 and have thousands of hours in the game and have played in forever. This has probably been my most played longest running MMO. Now you don't have to make things up about me because my opinions make you unfomfortable.

The hobbit gifts are bad overall. They're bad for the game play loop. They're worse because players can throw Mithril Coins at them until they're padded. They most certainly shouldn't be part of a subscription only service on a Legendary server trying to recapture the vanilla flavor.

Mithril Coins are bad for many reasons. In this specific case they shouldn't be on the sub only server. Those things they unlock should be obtained through game unlocks or in game gold. Since players couldn't rake in mass gold with hobbit gifts early on it would take game play and cooperation to earn them.

I'd go so far as to say our veteran rewards mostly shouldn't be there either. Keep the frames, titles, and fireworks, but no extra gear goodies, mounts, or riding skills. Storage should be unlocked through game play as well. I have over 600 slots of storage right off the bat and +78% riding speed.

Those may not all be realistic, but the first two can be severely curtailed which is my suggestion for the future, if they do this again.
    I've just chosen to play without using them or the XP boost item.  I am enjoying it.  I don't really care about the market etc so much . . although now I am wondering why this server is any better :)  It did get me playing again though :)
    [Deleted User]

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Rhoklaw said:
    Why are people complaining about a cash shop in what is mostly a PvE game? You don't even need to use the cash shop for anything really, if you have the subscription. Think people don't understand the problem with cash shops are in PvP focused MMOs, not PvE.
    Problem is why play on the sub new server vs f2p old server? I'll tell you why so you have people to play with all start fresh meaning all near same level but with cash shop exp bonus that is pointless. Also stats boost items from cash shop. The f2p can have shop all day no one cares but a sub server should be free of cash shop whats so hard to understand?
    [Deleted User]JeroKanemmolouAethaeryn
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    The only problem I'm having is needing to grind, since the quest levels far outpace character level very quickly. The XP penalty needs to be reduced from 40% to about 20%. 

I'm also remembering why I quit around Moria. The quest design is terrible. Go to this area, do a couple quests. Go back, turn in, get another quest that sends you back across the zone. Not multiple quests, just ONE. Head back, turn in, get another quest for the same area you did the prior quest in. Even with a mount, it's just painful. 
    [Deleted User]

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I just have no desire to play this again, no matter how nicely the new package is...I need an entirely new game....Rebooting this and WoW just don't do it for me.
    [Deleted User]
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    I'm also remembering why I quit around Moria. The quest design is terrible. Go to this area, do a couple quests. Go back, turn in, get another quest that sends you back across the zone. Not multiple quests, just ONE. Head back, turn in, get another quest for the same area you did the prior quest in. Even with a mount, it's just painful. 
    Quest giver: Travel to the other side of the map, sneak into the Orc camp and steal a bunch of axes.
    Me: OK I'm back here you go
    Quest giver: You know, while you were there you should have picked up any plans laying around, better go back.

I hear you Solar.  About the only one I've found that doesn't have you do that is SWToR & STO where you can check in via holo net / Comms.  They can get away with it, for the rest I guess we just get to travel alot.  I would love the option of just getting all the quests if I wanted up front, would make it alot easier.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited November 2018
    The only problem I'm having is needing to grind, since the quest levels far outpace character level very quickly. The XP penalty needs to be reduced from 40% to about 20%. 

It was a similar issue back at launch, where you were forced to go to other Race areas to find quests on level to level up.

Over the years they fixed this by streamlining the XP curve, remove a bunch of redundant quests and revamped the zones to make it more Solo friendly, since the playerbase is sitting at the top. Just how themepark games evolve.

And this is my main pet peeve with the Legendary servers at the moment. They try to make it how it was back at launch by putting a 40% XP penalty on the server and then having a clueless dev starting to turn some random knobs straight on the live servers to try to make the game difficult again, creating a ton of issues that suddenly pop up and were unintended! No s hit! :(

The old zones have just been revamped too much during the Turbine years, to streamline the leveling experience and make it Solo friendly due to low population in those zones, that you cannot simply fix that with a simple 40% XP penalty and turn some random knobs on enemy mob difficulty! /shrug

They should have just left it the way it was and instead focus on the low level instances and the RAID. Fix the difficulty in there, since it's safer and contained within the instance and update the loot inside instances! 
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668914-The-Rift-Raid-3-man-instance

So what, if people level a bit fast in the old zones. There is only 4 months between each expansion unlock and there is plenty of stuff to do at the old endgame levels, like instances, RAID and a lot of factions you can grind to unlock mounts, unique gear, etc. Like Forochel, Angmar and Evendim.

Back in the day I never had the time to do those factions, since Evendim and Forochel were released later and by the time I was halfway in the reputation grind, Moria expansion released and I moved on in Moria and never went back to the old zones.

Post edited by JeroKane on
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nebless said:
    I hear you Solar.  About the only one I've found that doesn't have you do that is SWToR & STO where you can check in via holo net / Comms.
    And TSW while it was here, and Wildstar for the short time it is still here, etc.  :smile: 
    Quite a handful of games use(d) remote quest handling. LotRO has it in a few places as well now, after the zone revamps (mostly for kill quests), also for festival and event quests.

Solar, Moria was revamped and streamlined years ago. Personally I liked the good old clunky version more, but if your issue was the design, you might want to give it a second chance when the server gets there a few months later.
    Torval said:
    The hobbit gifts are bad overall. They're bad for the game play loop. They're worse because players can throw Mithril Coins at them until they're padded.
    That's two-fold. I don't like the mechanic either, but besides the inflation part I simply don't see it as that huge of an issue as the article painted it.
    Getting an on-level consumable once a day is nothing, getting a piece of on-level gear means more but still, you can also get one as a gift from a crafter friend or kinmate any time, plus you will outlevel it soon anyways.
    The xp boosts might give a short timed advantage, in case you think reaching the cap faster has any value (I don't, I like to level not to grind at the endgame).
    Even in that case, the first players reached 50 very soon after the server started, just like they do with all similar new server experiments (I remember on the first Saga server in AoC players reached level 80 in a day), and the absence of hobbit gifts would've done nothing to hinder those fast levelers.

In short I think as a login reward system the gifts are no worse than any other games' login reward systems, and clearly not gamebreaking or inbalanced. But that's just my take.

However, the gambling part is the real ugly part of the system, I agree on that. Turbine/SSG making money on people with gambling issues is what makes the slotmachine a harmful mechanic, but still, not harmful to the game itself, but for those few gambling players.
    For any other (more sane) players it is clear that spending money on the slotmachine is unwise at least. They can get any items from the droplist directly from the store as well, it is pointless to feed money into the RNG-machine and waiting for a lucky roll. For example a mentioned fast-leveling player can get the xp boosts directly from the store cheaper, than spinning the slotmachine for hours.
    That part should be removed from the system. Won't be, of course, since it makes them money, that's why it is there the first place.
    Scot
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    edited November 2018
    JeroKane said:

It was a similar issue back at launch, where you were forced to go to other Race areas to find quests on level to level up.

Over the years they fixed this by streamlining the XP curve, remove a bunch of redundant quests and revamped the zones to make it more Solo friendly, since the playerbase is sitting at the top. Just how themepark games evolve.

And this is my main pet peeve with the Legendary servers at the moment. They try to make it how it was back at launch by putting a 40% XP penalty on the server and then having a clueless dev starting to turn some random knobs straight on the live servers to try to make the game difficult again, creating a ton of issues that suddenly pop up and were unintended! No s hit! :(

The old zones have just been revamped too much during the Turbine years, to streamline the leveling experience and make it Solo friendly due to low population in those zones, that you cannot simply fix that with a simple 40% XP penalty and turn some random knobs on enemy mob difficulty! /shrug

They should have just left it the way it was and instead focus on the low level instances and the RAID. Fix the difficulty in there, since it's safer and contained within the instance and update the loot inside instances! 

So what, if people level a bit fast in the old zones. There is only 4 months between each expansion unlock and there is plenty of stuff to do at the old endgame levels, like instances, RAID and a lot of factions you can grind to unlock mounts, unique gear, etc. Like Forochel, Angmar and Evendim.

Back in the day I never had the time to do those factions, since Evendim and Forochel were released later and by the time I was halfway in the reputation grind, Moria expansion released and I moved on in Moria and never went back to the old zones.

Funny story...

A few friends play Rift and I was doing a search on lotro vs rift to compare the games.  A thread from 2016!! Came up and you know who the most vocal complainer was?  Even telling people dont start playing lotro "because the license expires at the end of the year"! 

Well it was you glad to see you are still chugging along going on over two years now lol.

I personally love the slower leveling and everyone in my guild so far has nothing but positive things to say...well except the pvmp folks.  
    edited November 2018
    JeroKane said:

Funny story...

A few friends play Rift and I was doing a search on lotro vs rift to compare the games.  A thread from 2016!! Came up and you know who the most vocal complainer was?  Even telling people dont start playing lotro "because the license expires at the end of the year"! 

Well it was you glad to see you are still chugging along going on over two years now lol.

I personally love the slower leveling and everyone in my guild so far has nothing but positive things to say...well except the pvmp folks.  
    Ehh what?  Do you even play LOTRO or have ever played it? Are you trying to be funny or what?

You do know that The RIFT is one of the earlierst RAIDs in LOTRO and now the current Endgame again on the Legendary Servers!  LOL!  We are not talking about Rift the game. /seriously facepalm
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/The_Rift_of_Nûrz_Ghâshu

Also. You have to agree they rushed the Legendary Server out of the door, without putting too much thought in it. :-1: 

They should have waited at least a month longer and take the proper time preparing on the Bullroarer test server and test their intended pre-level50 combat difficulty changes until it actually works as it should! Not to mention taking the time to fix the itemization issues with specific crafting gear and (instance) loot.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668955-Yet-Again-Itemization-fails-to-be-updated-to-meet-balance-changes

It's pretty obvious they don't even have QA anymore and you just don't mess with such drastic changes straight on the live servers where your paying customers are!
    As believe it or not! There are still players playing on the other Live servers who are now experiencing the fallout of SSG desperate attempt of rush fixing pre-level50 content difficulty and as unexpected result screwing over players in the high levels on other servers.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?667997-Incoming-damage-currently-based-on-percentage-rather-than-rating-needs-to-be-fixed

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I will say this. .the community for the most part is fantastic. from what I have seen. 
    Po_gg

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited November 2018
    JeroKane said:

Funny story...

Ehh what?  Do you even play LOTRO or have ever played it? Are you trying to be funny or what?

You do know that The RIFT is one of the earlierst RAIDs in LOTRO and now the current Endgame again on the Legendary Servers!  LOL!  We are not talking about Rift the game.

I think you just did what you are accusing him of doing.

He wasn't taking any reference of "The Rift" from Lord of the Rings Online he was actually saying:

"A few friends play Rift ..."

And his whole point was that he discovered an old post of yours.
    [Deleted User]Itstimetodeal
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited November 2018
    JeroKane said:
    JeroKane said:

Funny story...

You do know that The RIFT is one of the earlierst RAIDs in LOTRO and now the current Endgame again on the Legendary Servers!  LOL!  We are not talking about Rift the game. /seriously facepalm
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/The_Rift_of_Nûrz_Ghâshu

Also. You have to agree they rushed the Legendary Server out of the door, without putting too much thought in it. :-1: 

They should have waited at least a month longer and take the proper time preparing on the Bullroarer test server and test their intended pre-level50 combat difficulty changes until it actually works as it should! Not to mention taking the time to fix the itemization issues with specific crafting gear and (instance) loot.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668955-Yet-Again-Itemization-fails-to-be-updated-to-meet-balance-changes

It's pretty obvious they don't even have QA anymore and you just don't mess with such drastic changes straight on the live servers where your paying customers are!
    As believe it or not! There are still players playing on the other Live servers who are now experiencing the fallout of SSG desperate attempt of rush fixing pre-level50 content difficulty and as unexpected result screwing over players in the high levels on other servers.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?667997-Incoming-damage-currently-based-on-percentage-rather-than-rating-needs-to-be-fixed

What are you babbling about? I was just throwing out a simple comment.  I left it at that but if you want to be a prick so can I.

I said I had some friends who play Rift THE VIDEO GAME after the recent uncertainty over at Rift they moved over to lotro because of the Legendary server.   I looked up Rift vs Lotro and I found this...

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/455854/rift-vs-lotro/p1

Jerokane 2016

"Though at this time, I would think twice about investing in LOTRO. It has a huge amount of content, so will require a hefty time Investment (which is a plus in my book), but with the License expiring next year.... I would not start on this game now, just to have it shut down next year.

The population is just too low to warrant an expensive License renewal. So chances are very high it will get shutdown next year"

Back in 2016 you were bitching and crying about lotro.  You projected it would be closing and were wrong.

It's so funny how Lotro can put out Mordor and Update 23 with no staff.  You keep repeating the same trash, lotro will keep moving along.  

You've been bitching and crying about lotro for years give up dude you lost lotro isnt going anywhere and these legendary servers are a huge success for the game.  

Btw I take back my offer to play together way too many positive people around in game to be brought down by some doom and gloomier.  
    JeroKane
    edited November 2018
    What has that to do with this discussion? Including talking about the game Rift?

But ok...since you brought up a two year old post, I'll bite:

Everyone was speculating it at that time, since Turbine was in financial turmoil, laid off a lot of it's staff and was running LOTRO into the ground with terrible updates. ( The cluster feck up called Helm's Deep expansion was the last expac I bought... still came back the years after from time to time to check the status of the game, but that was it.).

The last hobbit movie had also wrapped up two years earlier ( 2014 ), so there hadn't been any media coverage on the LOTR IP for 2 years either. Since everything that was allowed to be filmed had now been done. It was finished.

So it wasn't really off the mark to think that there would be any reason they (WB) would pay up for a license renewal on a 10 year old game that wasn't doing so well at that time. Also seeing how they were treating the game at that time, with the little staff that was left.
    It was also more than made clear that Turbine was going to focus on Mobile game development!

The sudden formation of Standing Stone Games and both LOTRO and DDO transitioning to it came as a surprise to everyone, including many gaming journalists.

So don't be a sudden ass about it, since it was a legitimate concern to have at that time.

That you have to drag up a two year old post as defense in today's discussion says enough.

Have a nice day!

---------------------------------------------------

PS. I am not dooming and glooming at all, since I am paying VIP and playing on the Legendary server aren't I? Tjeez!

I am allowed to be highly critical in how they handled the last patch, that caused a lot of problems to players (especially in high levels) and that they are then so arrogant and blind to leave it as is on the Live servers until they one day can figure out what went wrong and how they can fix it!

Sorry, but any other "decent" game studio would have immediately deployed a hotfix to roll back these changes and then gone back to the drawing board and run more tests in a TEST environment to figure things out!

LOTRO is not some new game that is in BETA stage, but a LIVE service people PAY for! /shrug
    Post edited by JeroKane on
    JeroKane said:
    The sudden formation of Standing Stone Games and both LOTRO and DDO transitioning to it came as a surprise to everyone, including many gaming journalists.
    Even more surprise was that the team (now renamed to SSG) didn't want to take AC with themselves, while WB said they don't want MMOs anymore just mobile and "regular" games, so AC found itself closed suddenly, almost overnight.
    JeroKanekitarad
    Stizzled said:
    @JeroKane I've learned it's far easier to have more fun with a game when spending less time reading all the negativity in the official forums, or worrying about how others are playing the game.

Things are always broken or imbalanced and someone is always going to complain about it. Players are also always going to find ways to do content with fewer people than it was designed for. I'd wager that pretty much every MMO has had a player or group of players defeat something they shouldn't have been able to.

Problems with itemization, balance and scaling are not specific to LotRO. Look at the mess WoW is currently. It's not as if the LotRO devs don't care, they're working on it.

Sure, its all having a bad impact on the normal servers and especially at end game, but that isn't their focus at the moment. They're a small team trying to work from the bottom up to make the experience across all levels better. It's going to take time.
    I fully understand the situation they are in at SSG. That's why I am baffled as to why they were in such a hurry to push out the Legendary Servers. No one was even expecting them any time soon and they seem to have enough problems on their hand still fixing stuff in the Mordor expansion.
    When they announced it, most were expecting it somewhere after new year and that would have been better.

But then they rush out the Legendary Servers anyway. Oke fine. 

But why in earth start messing with Game overland difficulty balance straight on Live servers, if you have no idea what you are doing and don't grasp all the old code. It doesn't make any sense.
    It's a 12 year old game in which Turbine has made so many revamps and streamline passes over the overland content over the years. It's just a total waste of time trying to change this back...since all the old devs are long gone.

It's pretty obvious SSG doesn't have that competence and resources in-house anymore to try do such sweeping changes that require a hell lot of testing / QA (again which they don't have)!. So why bother and risk messing up the whole game, upsetting paying customers. Like is happening now.

I they want to make the Legendary Servers a success, they should focus on Itemization in Crafting and loot in the old zones and instances. To make it worth while again.

XP gains are nerfed by 40%, so people are slowed down now anyway. I am just enjoying the story and old environments again and that is fine enough with me. Again it's a 12 year old game that underwent a lot of changes over the years.

If they want to encourage grouping again. I am all for it. Then they should start tinkering with the Instances and RAIDs. Those are contained environments to safely tinker in and try up the difficulty again, without creating cascading effects throughout the rest of the game.

That is a much better and safer approach when you are strained on resources.

Ozmodan
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    JeroKane said:
    Stizzled said:
    @JeroKane I've learned it's far easier to have more fun with a game when spending less time reading all the negativity in the official forums, or worrying about how others are playing the game.

Things are always broken or imbalanced and someone is always going to complain about it. Players are also always going to find ways to do content with fewer people than it was designed for. I'd wager that pretty much every MMO has had a player or group of players defeat something they shouldn't have been able to.

Problems with itemization, balance and scaling are not specific to LotRO. Look at the mess WoW is currently. It's not as if the LotRO devs don't care, they're working on it.

Sure, its all having a bad impact on the normal servers and especially at end game, but that isn't their focus at the moment. They're a small team trying to work from the bottom up to make the experience across all levels better. It's going to take time.
    I fully understand the situation they are in at SSG. That's why I am baffled as to why they were in such a hurry to push out the Legendary Servers. No one was even expecting them any time soon and they seem to have enough problems on their hand still fixing stuff in the Mordor expansion.
    When they announced it, most were expecting it somewhere after new year and that would have been better.

But then they rush out the Legendary Servers anyway. Oke fine. 

But why in earth start messing with Game overland difficulty balance straight on Live servers, if you have no idea what you are doing and don't grasp all the old code. It doesn't make any sense.
    It's a 12 year old game in which Turbine has made so many revamps and streamline passes over the overland content over the years. It's just a total waste of time trying to change this back...since all the old devs are long gone.

It's pretty obvious SSG doesn't have that competence and resources in-house anymore to try do such sweeping changes that require a hell lot of testing / QA (again which they don't have)!. So why bother and risk messing up the whole game, upsetting paying customers. Like is happening now.

I they want to make the Legendary Servers a success, they should focus on Itemization in Crafting and loot in the old zones and instances. To make it worth while again.

XP gains are nerfed by 40%, so people are slowed down now anyway. I am just enjoying the story and old environments again and that is fine enough with me. Again it's a 12 year old game that underwent a lot of changes over the years.

If they want to encourage grouping again. I am all for it. Then they should start tinkering with the Instances and RAIDs. Those are contained environments to safely tinker in and try up the difficulty again, without creating cascading effects throughout the rest of the game.

That is a much better and safer approach when you are strained on resources.

That is a lot of whining and complaining about nothing.  Lotro is no different than any other MMO,  there are always minor issues 
    mmolou
    Ozmodan said:
    That is a lot of whining and complaining about nothing.  Lotro is no different than any other MMO,  there are always minor issues 
    Except the issues are not minor in this case, and what's even more concerning is the clear and acknowledged change of focus.

Even if the 2 new servers are packed to the brim, the 10 other servers have a lot more weight, not to mention a large majority of the players on the new servers also have higher level characters on the other servers, so it affects a very large part of the playerbase. Giving them the finger is simply not a friendly gesture.
    Heck, even a lie, something like "Ok, we're aware of the situation and working on it" would've been a better response than Vastin's "We're focusing now on the early levels"... translation, you can suck it, your gameplay will be affected for months until we get there with the new servers and tweak it too.
    (and the "throw us a bone, we're just an understaffed small team" argument was overused many years ago already, now it is old and stale)

Personally I like the game, but I also raise my voice against their dumb decisions. Easy to put the whining label on Jero's post but it is partly accurate and while I don't agree with it entirely I can totally understand his position.
    As you can see by opening the trait panel and switch tabs, Empathy is a virtue in LotRO. Maybe you should earn a few more points on it, to understand better the different viewpoints... :smiley:
    JeroKanemmolouOzmodan
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited November 2018

Cool you hate cash shops and got your pot shots in on LOTRO.  Maybe it's time for you to just move on.  

1) You didnt even know who the Developer is

2) You dont need to use the cash shop and the statement was "in 2018 going on 2019". 

3) Upgraded? CHECK 

4) Developed? CHECK

You claim

"Not to mention full price for a serivce that isnt being developed or upgraded anymore, just maintained. with the rest of the profits going straight to their pockets or right back into the cash shop"

But in reality they just launched update 23.

https://www.linawillow.org/home/2018/08/far-over-iron-hills-and-mountains-grey-lotro-u23-preview/

Here is a tip pal before you go all in on a desperate attempt to bash video game you clearly have no clue on at least try google first.  

Funny how the one who feels the need to counter every single negative cash shop post here is the same one telling me to move on. Maybe try that yourself?

1) And? Apparently you arent that saavy either. Nice try attempting to somehow make yourself sound like you know what youre talking about though by pointing out a small technicality that barely has anything to do with my point.

OG_Zorvan said:

SSG is Turbine with a new name. Same people, same flaws.

2) Ah my second favorite excuse defending cash shops, "you dont need it." Again, nitpicking stuff that doesnt even matter to make yourself sound like you know what youre talking about. Maybe I should make it a little clearer. Its good ROI in 2018 because its 2018... as in relative to other MMOs available "TODAY" ... this POS practice is the norm now, thanks in part to complacent "gamers" like you who reward this nonsense because ... "capitalism is never wrong" or something. Therefore yeah, it is, from a more narrow POV (and drastically lowered expectations), a good ROI. I guess.

3 and 4) Thats for the main game "pal" ... have 0 interest in live game. Doubt many who came back for Legendary servers have much interest in whatever is going on with current servers. The only development work they did for Legendary servers are what? The tweaks they needed to make to implement the cash shop? Or is this just the same as live but with locked content?

Ill keep your "google it" advice stored away for next time though.
    Ozmodan
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    JeroKane said:

Maybe they really needed the influx of cash.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61

I find it funny really, classic server having more people then the live servers, tell a lot about teh state of the games today, of course there is always the nostalgy to make us look it on a more forgiving eyes.

Well considering how many MMO's have already taken this path, which imo is fine, it was only a matter of time before they did it. Wow's is coming next year and sure the servers they release will be above live servers for a time. All in all though it gives people the chance that never experienced the game from start to see what it was all about.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    It's crazy how refreshing it's been to set 10 years of stuff aside, and go to these servers. To start from the bottom again, no twinked gear, actually looking forward to quest rewards...

It's the best of both worlds: closer to the original mob challenge level, with all the QoL upgrades. Gotta say, I just might start up my annual sub again, for the first time since Fangorn.

Agree very much about the universal toolkit, even if the only benefit was not having to switch out tools for different crafting jobs. Being account bound thus being able to use it with every alt makes it worth every penny.

I disagree on the Mithril, though. I say, go the other way, cut mithril out entirely. This game was built to be traveled in; another thing I had all but forgotten until recently. Ered Luin is too beautiful a place to fast forward through.
    [Deleted User]ItstimetodealOzmodan
  • Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    edited November 2018
    For a second I was excited. If they are still plastering cash shops in subscriber's faces then its already lesser than what the classic experience was.
    Ozmodan
    Torval said:
    Robsolf said:
    It's crazy how refreshing it's been to set 10 years of stuff aside, and go to these servers. To start from the bottom again, no twinked gear, actually looking forward to quest rewards...

It's the best of both worlds: closer to the original mob challenge level, with all the QoL upgrades. Gotta say, I just might start up my annual sub again, for the first time since Fangorn.

Agree very much about the universal toolkit, even if the only benefit was not having to switch out tools for different crafting jobs. Being account bound thus being able to use it with every alt makes it worth every penny.

I disagree on the Mithril, though. I say, go the other way, cut mithril out entirely. This game was built to be traveled in; another thing I had all but forgotten until recently. Ered Luin is too beautiful a place to fast forward through.
    I think Mithril Coins should be removed from the game entirely. But since they're not going to, and still allow them to be purchased on the server, then I think they should be account wide. That only screws people who've already bought MC on another server, but still allows those with tons of TP to power their way through. It's a small criticism in the bigger picture for me though.

I agree, there shouldn't be any special fast travel (outside of unlocking the route via visiting and repuation), no loot crates, no MC, and a much more limited cash shop.

Remember when you used to have to unlock fast travel routes by first visiting the stable, and then getting the appropriate reputation. MC totally guts that mechanic. Same with unlocking additional trait and LI slots, storage, etc. For Legendary servers this should be "in game" via gold.

If hobbit gifts were just once a day/week with no extra buy-in and they only gave small consumables and buffs, then I wouldn't mind them at all. No gear, mounts, or currencies of ANY kind.

That's just my opinion of course not an ultimatum.
    The problem with traveling is if they want to attract the newer gamer there needs to be an option for them to fast travel.  This new generation is all about instant gratification. Giving them a choice to travel 2000m on a horse to turn in a quest or push the blue button and instant travel chances are they are taking the blue button.  

Vets we are not forced to use the quick travel, I dont and if little Johnny is spending money on the game and using fast travel I'm fine with it.  It doesnt impact my gameplay and hes supporting the game.  
    Ozmodan
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I do have to say that reading these LotRO Legendary threads is awesome. So many stories, the huge amount of positivity, the enthusiasm, its infectious. There is still room for a critical note or two too. Very refreshing!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Itstimetodeal[Deleted User]Robsolf
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited November 2018
    lahnmir said:
    I do have to say that reading these LotRO Legendary threads is awesome. So many stories, the huge amount of positivity, the enthusiasm, its infectious. There is still room for a critical note or two too. Very refreshing!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Agreed right now on the front page LOTRO threads have over 14,000 views 100s of comments far more than any other current topic.  I would bet LOTRO has had more hits on this sites in the last week than it has in the last year.  

I think this has a few posters worked up and unfortunately they are in OverDrive to try squash any excitement people are having.