Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Map voting announced

15678911»

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Torrsk said:
    Interitus said:
    Stage two of voting started. It's a bit late. The biggest problem is that the maps used for voting no longer show which biome you're looking at. So you have to go back and reference the round 1 voting maps. I'm sure quite quickly members of the public will release the new maps with the biomes listed. But really this was something that SBS should have kept. Why would you remove information?
    SBS clearly ran out of time. It was pass 1am their time when the maps were finally released. They should have just called it a night and pick it up in the morning really. 

But at least the other servers have something to reference the maps off. On OCE, we are flat out guessing what biome we are looking at. While some is clear, some not so much. Adding onto the fact we don't have duchy lines. Which there has been an disagreement how many duchies we even have in the first place. Some think 8, others think 12. But seeing the server overall knows what tribes they want. Be nice knowing how many duchies we have for that reason. Since take the kingdom I'm in, it's very Brudvir heavy, so voting for map with a bigger Brudvir biome/duchies would be the way to go.

This whole thing was a mess really and you could see it coming. Caspian was saying on the weekend, they were working on OCE maps. Doing their own vote on 130 maps to get them down to 8. Makes me wonder why we couldn't vote in round 1. While once again not leaving themselves enough time. Everything should have been ready before round 1 even started really. 

While the biggest concerned, Caspian commented on discord that someone left the studio in the middle of this event. I'm not sure if that meant someone upped and quit or just didn't like working crazy hours and just left early each day. Which the latter isn't so bad, the former just isn't good news.
    They really seem to be making work for themselves.  There's 130 maps they are going to cut down to 8?  That's 122 maps they made that they won't be using.  I don't know how much work that involves, but that seems totally idiotic to me.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Mendel said:
    They really seem to be making work for themselves.  There's 130 maps they are going to cut down to 8?  That's 122 maps they made that they won't be using.  I don't know how much work that involves, but that seems totally idiotic to me.
    Yeah it is. Why they generated that many for one server is confusing. No idea how many they did for the other servers. OCE maps are more different, compared to the other servers. But even then, could have saved themselves a ton of time. 

It was easy to tell in discord how stressed and overwork Caspian was. Yet from all these different experiences, I don't know why they have not learnt to plan things out better. 

They really should have had 15 maps for NA/EU servers and been rendering the maps during round 1. Over picking 20 and having to wait until the end to start.

At some point, something has to give. It's not even funny anymore that everything is delayed. It's just sad they don't learn from it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited November 2018
    Torrsk said:
    Mendel said:
    Yeah it is. Why they generated that many for one server is confusing. No idea how many they did for the other servers. OCE maps are more different, compared to the other servers. But even then, could have saved themselves a ton of time. 

It was easy to tell in discord how stressed and overwork Caspian was. Yet from all these different experiences, I don't know why they have not learnt to plan things out better. 

They really should have had 15 maps for NA/EU servers and been rendering the maps during round 1. Over picking 20 and having to wait until the end to start.

At some point, something has to give. It's not even funny anymore that everything is delayed. It's just sad they don't learn from it.
    But absolutely no impact to game development activities right? 

Well of course not, can't really impact something negatively which in all likelihood isn't going on to any great degree.

;)

SpottyGekkoMensurceratop001

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Torrsk said:
    Interitus said:
    Stage two of voting started. It's a bit late. The biggest problem is that the maps used for voting no longer show which biome you're looking at. So you have to go back and reference the round 1 voting maps. I'm sure quite quickly members of the public will release the new maps with the biomes listed. But really this was something that SBS should have kept. Why would you remove information?
    SBS clearly ran out of time. It was pass 1am their time when the maps were finally released. They should have just called it a night and pick it up in the morning really. 

But at least the other servers have something to reference the maps off. On OCE, we are flat out guessing what biome we are looking at. While some is clear, some not so much. Adding onto the fact we don't have duchy lines. Which there has been an disagreement how many duchies we even have in the first place. Some think 8, others think 12. But seeing the server overall knows what tribes they want. Be nice knowing how many duchies we have for that reason. Since take the kingdom I'm in, it's very Brudvir heavy, so voting for map with a bigger Brudvir biome/duchies would be the way to go.

This whole thing was a mess really and you could see it coming. Caspian was saying on the weekend, they were working on OCE maps. Doing their own vote on 130 maps to get them down to 8. Makes me wonder why we couldn't vote in round 1. While once again not leaving themselves enough time. Everything should have been ready before round 1 even started really. 

While the biggest concerned, Caspian commented on discord that someone left the studio in the middle of this event. I'm not sure if that meant someone upped and quit or just didn't like working crazy hours and just left early each day. Which the latter isn't so bad, the former just isn't good news.
    I didn't even think of that, you guys didn't even get to vote in round 1, so you are stuck trying to identify by eye.  Although I do admit I'm jealous of your maps, they are far more interesting.  Seeing the choices of maps, honestly they should have just given us a random map. The maps are all so similar it wouldn't have made much of a difference.  It's being called groundbreaking in letting players choose the maps. But it doesn't feel like we get to choose very much. They all had the same basic shape.
    KyleranTorrsk
    Interitus said:
    I didn't even think of that, you guys didn't even get to vote in round 1, so you are stuck trying to identify by eye.  Although I do admit I'm jealous of your maps, they are far more interesting.  Seeing the choices of maps, honestly they should have just given us a random map. The maps are all so similar it wouldn't have made much of a difference.  It's being called groundbreaking in letting players choose the maps. But it doesn't feel like we get to choose very much. They all had the same basic shape.
    I'n very happy with the maps we have. Even though the other servers were worried where OCE was voting round 1. Most felt the other maps were so "meh" couldn't even be bothered voting all together. No idea why NA/EU couldn't have more mixed up maps. Seems like a really wasted chance to come out way different than other games. It really looks so similar to the eastern kingdoms in WoW. Should have been wider. Or just different than a north vs south feel.
    AnOldFart
  • KathyDarlingKathyDarling Member CommonPosts: 6
    Caspian is now upset that people would employ shady strategies to get an advantage in a video game: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29329/The-Citizenry-of-Servers

Oh no, poor planning has lead to undesirable results again? Color me surprised!
    JamesGoblinDakeruMadFrenchie
    Caspian is now upset that people would employ shady strategies to get an advantage in a video game: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29329/The-Citizenry-of-Servers

How are we not surprised. Is anyone honestly surprised by this? This happens basically every single time. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Much good. Very Wow.
    KyleranAsm0deusJamesGoblinDakeru

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    "Allegedly, this is being done at the request of a certain group on NA-West.
    It saddens me....that they would seek aid outside"

Yeah seriously how dare them to ask for help?
    And how dare NA-East to help out the West???

This is unacceptable!
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited November 2018
    Dakeru said:
    "Allegedly, this is being done at the request of a certain group on NA-West.
    It saddens me....that they would seek aid outside"

Yeah seriously how dare them to ask for help?
    And how dare NA-East to help out the West???

This is unacceptable!
    I'm not in agreement with Caspian's position to try and limit the meta game (Dances with the Dynasty) to staying within one designated server.

He even admits though being firmly in NA West, he'll be playing with relatives on NA East, crossing between both servers as probably will many other NA players.

Why he thinks  the whales....er nobles from one server wouldn't or shouldn't want to get involved in the politics of both servers is beyond me.

He decries the behavior of players who are on the "losing" side of the map voting on NA East from using their influence to sway the voting on NA West (his server btw).

I can easily see people deciding to switch to NA West instead of NA East if they decide they will fair better there at launch. He has no problem with them playing there, but takes issue with influencing a server which their alts will play on.

In a rare situation there actually are some strongly dissenting posters trying to point out server selection isn't final for anyone except the kings.

Even if a noble has been supporting NA East so far nothing prevents them from changing servers before launch which let's face it, is many years away.

Long story short, he keeps trying to control player behavior which they really shouldn't do in a game such as this,  there is a good reason why CCP largely stays out of the meta game in EVE, its not just because the devs are a bunch of jerks who want to spoil other players fun.

TorrskMadFrenchieJamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2018
    skadad said:
    do they censor their own forums, too much positive posts there :P 
    Yes, never have I seen any forum,  official or fan run with more fawning sycophants on it.

I think it's time I begin spreading some large doses of reality over there.

Good thing I have multiple accounts, as I'll probably set a new record at being downvoted. 

:D 
    [Deleted User]AnOldFartJamesGoblin

One of the original flaws has always been his belief that people who pay more (nobles) would behave for the betterment of the game and community in general.  This was debated extensively on these forums  as well as the official ones.  At every chance, this has been proven to be false.

All this is just an appetizer though.  Once the 3 month no wipe headstart for high rollers starts you are going to see the true meaning of “shit show”.  
    KyleranMadFrenchieJamesGoblin

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

skadad said:
    do they censor their own forums, too much positive posts there :P 
    I think most people have given up. There used to be many people that were level headed. Now it's just, well not an echo chamber, but just loving anything SBS says. Which they can say anything, they be spammed with upvotes. I sometimes wonder where all these people are hiding. Is there just bots following them around spamming them with upvotes. All very odd.

Getting pretty sick of them never learning. Which if Caspian did really step in. That would be some epic level shitstorm. I'm just waiting for domain selection to come around. Then we really see the drama start. 
    Kyleran
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

He insists he expected this, but also neglected to create a rule regarding this very situation.

That's not the way you develop a video game title.  It's specifically not the way you develop a PvP territory based video game.  

The entire thing is a result of Caspian reaping what he's sowed; folks voted on another server because of shoddy site work by SBS showed them their vote would never outweigh a whale on their own.
    KyleranJamesGoblin

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    All this negativity tells me that the people around here just don't appreciate what's being offered by their studio.
    The fans on the CoE forums get it, that's why they are so positive and supportive.

If you guys would just realize that CoE is actually a really clever gaming web-comic, you will begin to realize just how brilliant the whole project is.
    KyleranSlapshot1188AnOldFartJamesGoblin
    edited November 2018
    Lokero said:
    All this negativity tells me that the people around here just don't appreciate what's being offered by their studio.
    The fans on the CoE forums get it, that's why they are so positive and supportive.

If you guys would just realize that CoE is actually a really clever gaming web-comic, you will begin to realize just how brilliant the whole project is.
    Ah, so that's the secret. I  thought perhaps it was from all of the not so free Kool-aid.

B)
    JamesGoblin

• KathyDarlingKathyDarling Member CommonPosts: 6
    What's funny about it is that Caspian posting that on the forums actually tipped off some people about rival strategies because he insinuated or hinted at some particular stuff. Basically, he could have fucked up (or did fuck up, it's unknown yet) a huge play for a certain Kingdom because he couldn't resist whining on the forums. So much for wanting things to happen "organically" and being player-driven.
    JamesGoblinKyleranDakeruAnOldFart
    What's funny about it is that Caspian posting that on the forums actually tipped off some people about rival strategies because he insinuated or hinted at some particular stuff. Basically, he could have fucked up (or did fuck up, it's unknown yet) a huge play for a certain Kingdom because he couldn't resist whining on the forums. So much for wanting things to happen "organically" and being player-driven.
    Kind of how he messed up "pro-plague" people in the silly Links of Elyria plague event by posting information that some people were hoarding tokens or telling people that "right" way to play... 
    Kyleran

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    He's that kid that flips the board over, knocking all the pieces into the floor, and storming out of the room in a rage.
    Torrsk
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Mendel said:
    Really guys.  Islands would be nice, but who really trusts these developers to create boats that work in the world?  No boats, no warfare against that kingdom and warfare against other kingdoms seems to be the primary goal of the actual game.   Other companies have tried and failed to deliver boats in games that weren't nearly as ambitious.  How much longer would naval combat add to the development time?

Why you need a boat? This is an MMO, swim over and stab them with a pointy thing! 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Kyleran said:

Why he thinks  the whales....er nobles from one server wouldn't or shouldn't want to get involved in the politics of both servers is beyond me.

He decries the behavior of players who are on the "losing" side of the map voting on NA East from using their influence to sway the voting on NA West (his server btw).

I can easily see people deciding to switch to NA West instead of NA East if they decide they will fair better there at launch. He has no problem with them playing there, but takes issue with influencing a server which their alts will play on.

In a rare situation there actually are some strongly dissenting posters trying to point out server selection isn't final for anyone except the kings.

Even if a noble has been supporting NA East so far nothing prevents them from changing servers before launch which let's face it, is many years away.

Long story short, he keeps trying to control player behavior which they really shouldn't do in a game such as this,  there is a good reason why CCP largely stays out of the meta game in EVE, its not just because the devs are a bunch of jerks who want to spoil other players fun.

He really ought to stop trying to play his game as he makes it, and just make it and let the players do what they will do with it.. the whole idea of being a world builder is to see what destructive and trolling shit your assholes creative and unique things your players will do with it.
    LokeroAnOldFartGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Lokero said:
    He's that kid that flips the board over, knocking all the pieces into the floor, and storming out of the room in a rage.
    It's sad that's how a CEO does come across. Which a few different people on discord agree with that statement or similar ones. He should have never made that thread. If anyone, should have been Serpentius. The guy hired to deal with the community. Another thread was made by a random, trying to call out the kingdoms involved. It was trolled back and forth between a few people. But really was nothing more than a troll thread, like Caspian troll thread. A CEO making a troll thread, just what the hell?!

Seeing how he was replying to people on discord a bit after making that thread, even more what the hell. Don't have the screenshots, but easy enough to find. Someone was getting annoyed at him. Him replying back with "Why are you so salty today". Yep great reply there mate. 

Why he gets so emotionally about things is the worry. Anyone would think he was new to the net. He really just needs to take a step back from the community and work on things. 
    Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Every time I read a CoE thread I get annoyed and the only thing going through my mind is “stop with all this BS and go build your bloody game, stop wasting everybodies time and resources.” 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    UngoodGdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer