Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legendary Server - Every 4 Months???

nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
I just heard about Legendary servers today and what timing! I was actually open to playing something new. I played LOTRO when it released and had some interest over the years in returning, but being so behind and not getting to experience the content I missed was a deal breaker for returning. So this Legendary server sounds like a great time to return, right? Nope! Every 4 months they'll release a new expansion. There's no way in hell, with me being a working adult, having a girlfriend, etc that I'll complete every quest, dungeon, and raid in just 4 months. I'll be left in the dust by the hard core with no one to play with in no time flat. So what sounded like an opportunity to return to this great game and community is ruined with 1 bad decision. Give me 6 month releases and I'm there. 1 year release even better. 

Comments

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Leveling is pretty fast on the server, so most people will be 50 within 2 months. Then there is not that much to do at 50 because it is not the vanilla game. It is the game as it is now just capped at 50. So there is only Urugarth, Carn Dun, Helegrod and The Rift. People will blow through that quick. Everything is easier now so there really is no need to kill yourself doing deeds, there is no Legendary skill quest chain anymore. So for even the most casual player 4 months will be plenty of time
    PhryOctagon7711
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    I think four months will he fine.  You dont need to worry about the hardcore players just find some people who play like you which I'm guessing the majority are not hardcore.  
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    nate1980 said:
    I just heard about Legendary servers today and what timing! I was actually open to playing something new. I played LOTRO when it released and had some interest over the years in returning, but being so behind and not getting to experience the content I missed was a deal breaker for returning. So this Legendary server sounds like a great time to return, right? Nope! Every 4 months they'll release a new expansion. There's no way in hell, with me being a working adult, having a girlfriend, etc that I'll complete every quest, dungeon, and raid in just 4 months. I'll be left in the dust by the hard core with no one to play with in no time flat. So what sounded like an opportunity to return to this great game and community is ruined with 1 bad decision. Give me 6 month releases and I'm there. 1 year release even better. 
    I think you are making the assumption that everyone is going to be capped, geared and ready to go every four months.

You have essentially created a problem that doesn't exist. Don't do that. some people will be at cap and some not. I Probably won't, I've been very busy.

Just enjoy the game and see where you are at the 4 month mark and see where other people, the average people, are. If you can't keep up then there you go. But I think there will still be people you can group with.
    Itstimetodealceratop001
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Sovrath,

You have a good point. However, how is grouping done in LOTRO? Is there a Dungeon Finder that groups people together based on role and time spent in que or do I have to spam chat hoping to find groups for a long period of time? In the modern MMO space, people have become less social and have grown dependent on group finders to ensure they can see all the content. 
    nate1980 said:
    Sovrath,

You have a good point. However, how is grouping done in LOTRO? Is there a Dungeon Finder that groups people together based on role and time spent in que or do I have to spam chat hoping to find groups for a long period of time? In the modern MMO space, people have become less social and have grown dependent on group finders to ensure they can see all the content. 
    I see people in chat. I've never used a group finder. Does Lord of the Rings Online have one? maybe? I've never used it and have always gotten my groups by chat.

I don't really think of it as "spamming."

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

nate1980 said:
    Sovrath,

Grouping is usually done through chat.  Then you have two options.  One walk to Great Borrows for example and run the entire thing.  Or two use group finder and run three runs broken down into smaller chunks. Most groups use group finder after forming the group (instant travel). 
    BossChono
    Okay I'm struggling with the UI for LOTRO. I play on a 4k system and so I have the resolution set high. I found a way to increase the size of everything, but the UI is very clunky. I have to keep my portrait and the enemies portrait small or else they'll overlap. But I can't see the buffs and debuffs on the portraits with them that small. The quest log overlaps my minimap if I have the minimap the size I need it in order for it to be useful. Basically, the UI blows and I haven't had this issue with any other game, old or new, when playing at max settings and resolution. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    edited November 2018
    nate1980 said:
    Okay I'm struggling with the UI for LOTRO. I play on a 4k system and so I have the resolution set high. I found a way to increase the size of everything, but the UI is very clunky. I have to keep my portrait and the enemies portrait small or else they'll overlap. But I can't see the buffs and debuffs on the portraits with them that small. The quest log overlaps my minimap if I have the minimap the size I need it in order for it to be useful. Basically, the UI blows and I haven't had this issue with any other game, old or new, when playing at max settings and resolution. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Why don't you just move them so they don't overlap when you make them large enough to read.

ctrl + \ is what I believe puts you in "I get to move everything I want" mode.
    [Deleted User]

I didn't know about that option. I'll check it out. Thanks guys!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Sovrath said:
    nate1980 said:
    Why don't you just move them so they don't overlap when you make them large enough to read.

ctrl + \ is what I believe puts you in "I get to move everything I want" mode.
    If you have a non-US keyboard the combo may be something different.
    Sovrath
    nate1980 said:
    Lotro isnt setup for 4k.  I switched to 2k and it makes the UI way better.  Also like others have said you can adjust the UI.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Lotro players tend to sync with the landscape. They craft and do other things besides focus on leveling. A pure lotro player will take their time and just enjoy being within the environment. This game believe it or not is sort of spiritual for us.
    laseritOctagon7711

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited November 2018
    Sovrath said:
    nate1980 said:
    I think you are making the assumption that everyone is going to be capped, geared and ready to go every four months.

You have essentially created a problem that doesn't exist. Don't do that. some people will be at cap and some not. I Probably won't, I've been very busy.

Just enjoy the game and see where you are at the 4 month mark and see where other people, the average people, are. If you can't keep up then there you go. But I think there will still be people you can group with.
    You don't need to be geared for Moria, as loot from instances and crafted gear is currently utter garbage.

Believe it or not, with the current state of the game, you get the best gear from Quests at the moment. 

I hope SSG makes it a priority right now to fix this, so that it's at least worthwhile for people to craft on the Legendary server and run instances... otherwise it will be a very boring affair quickly, if all you can do on the Legendary Server is questing and the rest being obsolete, because it has never been fixed. :(
    Itstimetodeal
    edited November 2018
    JeroKane said:
    Sovrath said:
    nate1980 said:

You don't need to be geared for Moria, as loot from instances and crafted gear is currently utter garbage.

Believe it or not, with the current state of the game, you get the best gear from Quests at the moment. 

I hope SSG makes it a priority right now to fix this, so that it's at least worthwhile for people to craft on the Legendary server and run instances... otherwise it will be a very boring affair quickly, if all you can do on the Legendary Server is questing and the rest being obsolete, because it has never been fixed. :(
    *Disclaimer* 

Jerokane has been doom and glooming LOTRO for years.  Please do not listen to a word he says.  He just comes here and regurgitated whatever he read from his handlers on the official forums as there are multiple doom and gloomers over there who also have a weird obsession with lotro.

Example one: this thread has been dead for two days and he couldn't stand not doom and glooming lotro so is trying to get this on page one in hopes people stay away from the Legendary servers.

Example two: for the first week Jero was complaining about how "Crafters can buy crafting boost and level up their crafting and make money and gear all their friends"  now he is desperately trying to claim crafting is useless which is furthest from the truth.

Example three:  He will talk about the the "Rift being three manned" and how end game is broken but leave out it was the first two bosses and took 5 HOURS, one guy actually left cause it was such a pain and they were in FULL PURPLE CRAFTED GEAR!

Instance gear, crafting gear, is all very viable on the Legendary Servers Jero has an agenda here so better just to throw him an LOL or WTF on his post.  
    Post edited by Itstimetodeal on
    edited November 2018
    I don't have an agenda. I am paying and playing on the friggin'  Legendary server myself. I am leveling up my Metalworker crafting and the gear is sub-par to what you get via quests now.

So people who are level 50 on the Legendary Server are lying about the state of the game?

Instances aren't faceroll due to the Talent trees that were not available back then?

Instance loot isn't outdated since it has never been updated like the revamped quest loot when Turbine overhauled the old zones and quests years ago?

You know what's the worst?  Blind fanbois like yourself preaching the game is perfect with no issues and stick their heads in the ground and singing LaLaLaLaLa like a child /Facepalm

If SSG doesn't fix this, you will get your wish sooner or later....most will quit and be gone again, when the new fancy grass isn't so shiny anymore and you have the whole Legendary server all by yourself with a handful of other blind fanbois.
    edited November 2018
    JeroKane said:
    I don't have an agenda. I am paying and playing on the friggin'  Legendary server myself. I am leveling up my Metalworker crafting and the gear is sub-par to what you get via quests now.

So people who are level 50 on the Legendary Server are lying about the state of the game?

Instances aren't faceroll due to the Talent trees that were not available back then?

Instance loot isn't outdated since it has never been updated like the revamped quest loot when Turbine overhauled the old zones and quests years ago?

You know what's the worst?  Blind fanbois like yourself preaching the game is perfect with no issues and stick their heads in the ground and singing LaLaLaLaLa like a child /Facepalm

If SSG doesn't fix this, you will get your wish sooner or later....most will quit and be gone again, when the new fancy grass isn't so shiny anymore and you have the whole Legendary server all by yourself with a handful of other blind fanbois.
    Never said it was perfect just pointing out who you are and not to believe what you say.  

I gave three specific examples.  I have more if you want me to post them I can.  

Nobody in chat is complaining about face roll content. That's only occurring on the forums by those like you who complain no matter what.

Landscape content in lotro hasnt been hard in years level 50 content is not face roll for the normal players. Sure some hardcore players with all PURPLE CRAFTED gear already are breezing through shit but that's no different then any other game ever released.   Your desperate attempt to say lotro is any different screams you have an agenda.  

Its pathetic those like you are so desperate to bash and dream of games like lotro closing down.  

You keep screaming your doom and gloom I am here to correct the record for those who may want to try these new servers that have already started to weed out those like you.  

You have not spent over a week regurgitation every talking point from the official forums that nobody goes to because you want the game to get better.  You have been telling people on this random site NOT TO PLAY LOTRO for years!  These new servers have egnighted pure desperation in you.

People hate on Developers that they are ruining video games...not even close it people like you who are ruining video games.  Spending every second you have for YEARS crying about a video game you dont like.  Spending YEARS telling people NOT to play games you dont like , spreading lie after lie making shit up.  Yeah dude those like you cause more damage to video games than any Developer could dream of. 

Normally I would ignore those like you but the damage you can cause is worth the effort to correct every post you create on lotro.  
    Post edited by Itstimetodeal on
    JeroKane
    What the hell are you talking about?

Did I say I want the game being closed down?   Yeah I am paying VIP and play on the Legendary server because I want the game to close down.

Your logic boggles my mind.... you are so busy aggressively defending the game everywhere that you just too blind to even acknowledge the problems with the game or bother reading what I post.

I am actually enjoying the Legendary Server a lot. It's fantastic to see that many people roaming around again in the old zones, since it has the best content still of the entire game.
    Moria expac was good (looking forward to that one too) and I actually enjoyed Skirmishes in Mirkwood.
    After that it went downhill. Absolutely hated Isengard and Helm's Deep for example. Rohan was decent.

Back to the Legendary Server...
    I never said overland content was hard or should be made hard! 
    I said time and again in my recent posts that I would love for the dev at SSG to leave the overland content alone, since it's clear he has trouble understanding all the old code (seeing the mistakes he keeps making on the live servers. Again with new adjustments in the latest patch doing the exact opposite in what he intended. He just has no clue what he is doing. /shrug ).

Turbine has done too many overhauls of the old zones, that I just don't see the point as to why they would even bother trying to start messing with it, since they don't have the resources anymore. Especially since it's too late now anyway. Legendary Servers are online and people are playing.

I personally rather like to see them focusing on the Group Instance content (difficulty and loot), faction rewards and the Crafting (especially Crafting Guilds), since it's important for the Endgame and keep people busy when they reach the current and future level caps.
    Otherwise people just pay for a month. Reach the new level cap, quit and come back 3 months later when the new content unlocks again. Which would be a shame. Not to mention a lot of lost revenue via VIP subcriptions, defeating the purpose of the Legendary Server.

So stop being such and ass, as I actually want the Legendary Servers to succeed and not having them end up dead before the end of the year, because people are bored and quit.
    JeroKane said:
    What the hell are you talking about?

Did I say I want the game being closed down?   Yeah I am paying VIP and play on the Legendary server because I want the game to close down.

Your logic boggles my mind.... you are so busy aggressively defending the game everywhere that you just too blind to even acknowledge the problems with the game or bother reading what I post.

I am actually enjoying the Legendary Server a lot. It's fantastic to see that many people roaming around again in the old zones, since it has the best content still of the entire game.
    Moria expac was good (looking forward to that one too) and I actually enjoyed Skirmishes in Mirkwood.
    After that it went downhill. Absolutely hated Isengard and Helm's Deep for example. Rohan was decent.

Back to the Legendary Server...
    I never said overland content was hard or should be made hard! 
    I said time and again in my recent posts that I would love for the dev at SSG to leave the overland content alone, since it's clear he has trouble understanding all the old code (seeing the mistakes he keeps making on the live servers. Again with new adjustments in the latest patch doing the exact opposite in what he intended. He just has no clue what he is doing. /shrug ).

Turbine has done too many overhauls of the old zones, that I just don't see the point as to why they would even bother trying to start messing with it, since they don't have the resources anymore. Especially since it's too late now anyway. Legendary Servers are online and people are playing.

I personally rather like to see them focusing on the Group Instance content (difficulty and loot), faction rewards and the Crafting (especially Crafting Guilds), since it's important for the Endgame and keep people busy when they reach the current and future level caps.
    Otherwise people just pay for a month. Reach the new level cap, quit and come back 3 months later when the new content unlocks again. Which would be a shame. Not to mention a lot of lost revenue via VIP subcriptions, defeating the purpose of the Legendary Server.

So stop being such and ass, as I actually want the Legendary Servers to succeed and not having them end up dead before the end of the year, because people are bored and quit.
    Sure I'll stop being an ass and I'll ask you tone down the doom and gloom .  

Lotro is not immune to something that plaques mmos.  Even WoW has this issue and its hardcore players will RUSH to endgame beat it and then complain there is no content.  These legendary servers wont be immune to that.  I hear far more people state four months is NOT long enough compared to I'm bored already.

So sure the hardcore players will be around for two months the rest will be around the entire time.  The hardcore players will return rush through Moria the rest will hangout and do our own thing.  It's the nature of the mmo beast and these legendary servers will be impacted just like every other mmo ever created.  
    [Deleted User]Sovrath
  • kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    nate1980 said:
    4 months is just the initial plan, they have already stated they will take stuff in considerations and even said they might go EQ route and let the players vote after 4/6 months to unlock the next book/exp/etc.
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    I am kind of hoping that they release one more server after these first two get their expansions. 
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Im in a level locked guild that is going even SLOWER if that might interest you http://wot.gamerlaunch.com/

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    I leveled to 50 and while I enjoyed the running the old zones again, the power creep from all the changes over the years kind of made  leveling boring. I pretty much ran naked in order to make it more difficult. The zones are fun though. Like a poster said above sometimes it is just nice to just exist in the game world not even worrying about that you are playing a game. 

Im in a level locked guild that is going even SLOWER if that might interest you http://wot.gamerlaunch.com/

I highly recommend anyone who wants to take the game slowly and hit all content at level that kins like this are amazing for accomplishing that. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    SSG and LOTRO are on a very slippery slope right now , play it while you can
    Isn't every MMO in play it while you can mode? 
    [Deleted User]