Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linda 'Brasse' Carlson Now Working with Visionary Realms on Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Sovrath said:
    When your job is to bullshit in public to your customers, and you get debunked twice (fault of your own or not) it doesn't matter if you were doing your job. It's a stock drop. That's why doing anything public relations related has to have integrity checks because yours is on the line too.  Especially when it's recognizable. That's part of the game.

It doesn't matter if they're great people, raise their kids right, cook pies, cosplay, and go to church every Sunday.
    Nonsense.

If you are hired by a company to liaise between the company and the customers then you still work for the company and you are told what to do.

This is a "gamer thing" because gamers think it's all a club and everyone is "doing it for the gaming" and then they get surprised when companies act like companies.

I guarantee that all companies that have community managers are going to have people who are going to do what the company wants them to.

These Community Managers aren't going to rush to the forums and say "run while you can!"

Because that will NOT get you a job in any future companies as a community manager/public relations person.

It's not her fault that she worked for companies that people didn't like and that made bad decisions.
    You can say whatever you want g. It's the nature of the beast and every person who works in PR or public facing on behalf of entities with bad reputations know the hit they take is the hit you take as well. It's not a gamer thing. Sure you'll get hired again by standing tall and bold facing but that $#!% has a life bar attached to it. In a field where you can be easily replaced by a fresh face with a fresh pool of "Aw man they're cool and shoot straight" you can bet your ass it ain't nonsense.
    bcbully
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited November 2018
    Sovrath said:
    When your job is to bullshit in public to your customers, and you get debunked twice (fault of your own or not) it doesn't matter if you were doing your job. It's a stock drop. That's why doing anything public relations related has to have integrity checks because yours is on the line too.  Especially when it's recognizable. That's part of the game.

It doesn't matter if they're great people, raise their kids right, cook pies, cosplay, and go to church every Sunday.
    Nonsense.

If you are hired by a company to liaise between the company and the customers then you still work for the company and you are told what to do.

This is a "gamer thing" because gamers think it's all a club and everyone is "doing it for the gaming" and then they get surprised when companies act like companies.

I guarantee that all companies that have community managers are going to have people who are going to do what the company wants them to.

These Community Managers aren't going to rush to the forums and say "run while you can!"

Because that will NOT get you a job in any future companies as a community manager/public relations person.

It's not her fault that she worked for companies that people didn't like and that made bad decisions.
    You can say whatever you want g. It's the nature of the beast and every person who works in PR or public facing on behalf of entities with bad reputations know the hit they take is the hit you take as well. It's not a gamer thing. Sure you'll get hired again by standing tall and bold facing but that $#!% has a life bar attached to it. In a field where you can be easily replaced by a fresh face with a fresh pool of "Aw man they're cool and shoot straight" you can bet your ass it ain't nonsense.
    Well, put that way I suppose that makes some sense. So sure, if a PR person is constantly being hit in the face with crap and constantly comes off badly then "sure" that will stick with you.

As for this person, all I find are decent things so I'm not sure if she has used up her credibility yet.

[Deleted User]MensurcraftseekerMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I agree 100% with that newsletter clip and YES that person GET;s it.
    However how does that relate to this new hired person and what impact does she if ANY or is she just a community liaison,tell us what we want to hear,say good stuff,keep us engaged but won't matter one bit?
    They obviously didn't hire her to tel them how to design the game or facilitate any form of let's change things up and design it to make sense instead of the linear questing nonsense.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The sad reality of gaming in this era is that days of old the devs just designed a game they felt was right.
    NOW there is so much information out there on games the amount of players,finances that devs can easily see what is making money.So rather than make a game that makes sense,they are always looking over their shoulder thinking,ok we need to make money,this is what sells....BR..Moba...ARPG's ...cheap mobile games etc etc.

So tell me HOW a developer can ignore making money to build a better game?I mean this is why we have cash shops now,devs are not going to turn down new or more ways to make money.
    So there lies the problem and it has been said since the beginning of this century...money is the root of all that is evil.
    How can we get devs to make HQ games over profit,are both even possible knowing that using an example,IF Destiny 2 waited another year,how much money over that year are they out on....millions.

$$$$$..thanks for ruining our games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Sony Online Entertainment > Daybreak > Trion Worlds > Visionary Realms

Hopefully everything goes well, and she won't have to tank a nostalgic user base that is 100x more rabid and informed that "normal" gamers she's used to dealing with.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Wizardry said:

So tell me HOW a developer can ignore making money to build a better game?I mean this is why we have cash shops now,devs are not going to turn down new or more ways to make money.
    I believe we could find principled Devs who would choose gameplay over money. Now, finding someone to finance that principled undertaking is another story.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    now im worried :(
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I dont understand the people giving her shit for doing her job at previous companies... She is basically a Press Secretary... you do whatever the fuck you are told by your president to say what you need to say and everyone blames you for what he is telling you to do.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]bcbullyPhryTacticalZombehtweedledumb99
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    She seems like a nice woman but some of the things she would say at Trion would really leave me wondering 'wtf' sometimes.
    bgzgamer said:
    I dont understand the people giving her shit for doing her job at previous companies... She is basically a Press Secretary... you do whatever the fuck you are told by your president to say what you need to say and everyone blames you for what he is telling you to do.
    You don't understand people giving a person shit whose entire job is to take shit so the person who is making them take shit doesn't have to take shit for the shit they're doing that affects people?
    Samhael

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SnackMasterBSnackMasterB Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Welcome back Brasse - good to see you again. Best of luck!
    craftseeker
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2018
    bgzgamer said:
    So basically , if thats all it is , Anyone is qualified to do it , along with several of the Muppets , the only difference is by choosing cookie monster , he would not be associated with 3 failed Dev houses that have each, left there communities with a bad taste in there mouth..

So why bring that luggage to your new game , get a fresh face , not one that is associated with failure,lies , deception and let down

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Sony Online Entertainment > Daybreak > Trion Worlds > Visionary Realms

Hopefully everything goes well, and she won't have to tank a nostalgic user base that is 100x more rabid and informed that "normal" gamers she's used to dealing with.
    Visionary Realms is targeting the old EQ and Vanguard players. That's players she directly interacted with for years before Daybreak lay her off.
    craftseekerMrMelGibsonTacticalZombeh
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    I thought this would be her next job. She is a great asset and VR made the right decision.

Hope the game does well and she is happy at VR for years to come.
    Soki123
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    DMKano said:
    First of all - I am going to give you my personal biased opinion as I know Linda first hand IRL.

She is an amazing person, she has her own farm and raises farm animals - she is a down to earth loving human being and a great friend. She is one of those people that will help anyone in need.

As far as community management goes - it's a thankless job today. You have to stand in front of an angry mob that is eternally unhappy no matter what. Community management sucks - period.

You cant tell players everything because it would change a thing, and withholding information again - sucks - but it's part of the job.

On top of all of that - the pay is shit.

Bottom line - I wouldn't do community management ever, period.

Why is Linda at VR - she is great at her job first and foremost and she also know Brad and the crew there first hand.

I am happy for her

It's nice to have an insider's view of things. People are ruthless on this site and about games. They like freak out and get personally offended about what gaming companies do. 

craftseekerThupliKyleranSiugMrMelGibsonkitaradMensurTacticalZombehSovrathtweedledumb99and 1 other.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    LOL DMKano and his insight, it means nothing like his Trion news LOL
    Kyleran
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Soki123 said:
    LOL DMKano and his insight, it means nothing like his Trion news LOL

Oh and sorry SBFord I f it isn t  to your pleasing, Oh well, shit happens.
    KyleranCryomatrix
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    Soki123 said:
    Not like the game was going to be good anyways. Maybe for the circle jerk nostalgia group that doesn t realize, IT WON T HAPPEN AGAIN morons. This news just made it worse lol. Thank god I have good games I play.

Calling other people names for having a different taste in games than yours?

Reaching new lows, you are better than this.
    No, I don't think he is. This is the real @Soki123
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

DMKano said:

First of all - I am going to give you my personal biased opinion as I know Linda first hand IRL.

She is an amazing person, she has her own farm and raises farm animals - she is a down to earth loving human being and a great friend. She is one of those people that will help anyone in need.

As far as community management goes - it's a thankless job today. You have to stand in front of an angry mob that is eternally unhappy no matter what. Community management sucks - period.

You cant tell players everything because it would change a thing, and withholding information again - sucks - but it's part of the job.

Why is Linda at VR - she is great at her job first and foremost and she also know Brad and the crew there first hand.

I am happy for her

Great post.

Let's all remember that people are humans.
    craftseekerTacticalZombehSovrath
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    DMKano said:
    Soki123 said:
    Not like the game was going to be good anyways. Maybe for the circle jerk nostalgia group that doesn t realize, IT WON T HAPPEN AGAIN morons. This news just made it worse lol. Thank god I have good games I play.

Calling other people names for having a different taste in games than yours?

Reaching new lows, you are better than this.
     No, she really isn't. 

;)
    craftseekerkitaradTacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Sovrath said:

Nonsense.

I bet you yell at the server when the cook fucks up. 
    [Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:

Nonsense.

I bet you yell at the server when the cook fucks up. 
    No, I send a 3rd party to yell at them because dumb people think it magically indemnifies all parties.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    bgzgamer said:
    Or you resign, preserve your character and get a new job.
    Kyleran
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • vocedeisognivocedeisogni Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I guess the game is already ruined then.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

DMKano said:

I am happy for her

That's cool. I don't know who she is, but I wish her the best of luck. VR could do a lot worse.