Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Hard to Believe, But World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King is 10 Years Old

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageIt's Hard to Believe, But World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King is 10 Years Old

It's one of those "where were you when" days as it's the tenth anniversary of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. WotLK was the second expansion to World of Warcraft and is touted by many as the best of Blizzard's creations.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    edited November 2018
    Man I am getting old. Thanks s for putting things into perspective for me.
    SBFordScotConstantineMerusnatpickMrMelGibson

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Man do I miss my Unholy DK tank. Some of my best gaming memories are from WoW. Some of my worst gaming memories (regarding changes they made that I hated - talent tree removal for example) are from WoW.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    it is a 16 years old game
    [Deleted User]
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    How can you have an anniversary for an expansion?  Especially when you can't even play said expansion anymore... just snippets there of?

We're basically celebrating somethings death not it's life... more like, remember when WotLK was a thing?  Ahh, those were the good ole days.  Too bad Blizzard f'd it all up.

This is a wake, not a celebration.
    SBFord
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I remember that day. I was standing in line at a midnight launch event. Got a copy, went home and played for about 7 hours untill I had to go to work.

It was glorious.
    SBFordKalebGraysonXingbairongCoolitTuor7MrMelGibson
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    This expansion - Wrath of the Lich King - is 10 years old. We all know the game itself is older. *facepalms*
    halfmystic[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532
    I loved WotLK, though it had it flaws. Doesn't matter.

I remember it so clearly, when we were in Ice Crown Citadel, we wiped several times because back in those days tanks couldn't turn their backs to bosses as it would ruin mitigation - you couldn't block.

So when we got to the Lich King and didn't know what we were doing, and I was tanking, I turned my back to Arthas and he one shot me. Teamspeak lit up with "YOU DON'T TURN YOUR BACK TO THE LICH KING BRO!".

Good days, haha.
    SBFordTuor7MrMelGibson
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    this has been in WoW since vanilla. In order to block, you need to face your opponent.
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532
    edited November 2018

Galadourn said:

this has been in WoW since vanilla. In order to block, you need to face your opponent.

Seems way less of a problem with the cooldowns you can pop to save yourself and not be one shot, but maybe you're right. I rarely see issues with tanks turning and running away for a moment to get into position when a boss is whaling on their backs. They changed something between then and now so you wouldn't have much issues, I guarantee it.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    edited November 2018
    To be honest, Wrath was the last time I truly enjoyed logging in to WoW. I played through Cata and Mists (months after each launched), but Wrath culminated (for me, anyway) the story begun in Warcraft III, and waiting for that is what kept me going, I think.

Then the fundamental changes to classes during Cata were where the devs really started pushing classes to be played the way they wanted them played. I can't say I don't miss those earlier days, but....

My name's Whitelantern, and I've been Wow-clean for 4 years.
    MrMelGibson

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    just leveled my dark iron dwarf through that  expansion area and it was still fun today as it was back then,i just love the theme and the music and the leveling just glides through,this is what blizz have forgotten over the years,i think wotlk tells a great story.
    SBFordMrMelGibson
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
      WoW released in Nov 2004....Its Nov 2018...Thats 14 years....
    [Deleted User]
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Good post and a great expansion
    SBFord
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited November 2018
    Very Immersive expansion, It was the pinnacle of WOW for me before everything went on a steady decline. It would also be the last expansion I played for more than 6+ months
    MrMelGibson
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GarySevenGarySeven Member UncommonPosts: 14
    LK was the last expansion that truly epitomized WoW lore and the need for community. Once LFD and LFR were added all the social aspects I enjoyed were destroyed. The need for quality guilds disappeared, and PUGS brought out the worst in folks. I haven't run dungeons or raided since LK, because I no longer have the tine to maintain my own guild.

Those are things that just can't be fixed.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I feel like that I often wake up and when I have difficulty getting out of bed I cannot believe I'm almost 60 but my body never fails to remind me of this daily.
    Chamber of Chains
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

BizkitNL said:

I remember that day. I was standing in line at a midnight launch event. Got a copy, went home and played for about 7 hours untill I had to go to work.

It was glorious.

Yeah. I did the TBC and Wrath launch events at midnight and it was awesome. One of my most fond memories related to gaming.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Those were the days....

WoW was exciting back then both PvP and PvE were fun and meaningful, getting prepared before a raid was a thing (yes, looking at you warlock stones), as was more than 5 button classes, the story was great and I still knew who the top guilds on my server were oh and which player had the best gear.

Now I just look at BfA and think ...meh what's the point.
    JeffSpicoli
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Best x-pac of the game.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    That was my favorite time in WOW for me and my Aflock. I'd re-sub to play that version.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

BizkitNL said:

It was glorious.

I remember being on ventrilo chatting with guildies while being phoned buy someone standing in the launch queue who didn't believe that we were all playing two hours before the official launch, he was so mad lol.

Even today it’s still brought up from time to time\(^_^)/
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    eh....Vanilla was better....

lol j/k I just had to, but honestly any of those three mentioned were lightyears better than what we have now.
    [Deleted User]
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited November 2018
    WoTLK was my first real visit to PC/MMORPG gaming. I was a WASD-moving tank turning skill-clicking n00b, but I loved it! It didn't help that I started on a PvP server either....ha! Anetheron for life! Can't wait for WoTLK Classic servers!

Gut Out!
    SBFordMrMelGibson

What, me worry?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    WOTLK was my second favorite expansion of any game I have ever played. Luclin in Everquest was my first (though few people agree with me on that one, but I stand fast).
    MrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• donpadrexdonpadrex Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Those were the times. When you farmed a dungeon to get that one piece of gear that you wanted, not the RNG fest that WoW is now where a new armor drop with better stats could be far inferior because it doesn't have the passives you need for your Job.