Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Immortal

Comments

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    I'll just bring this up. The rest of their shit is not ready to be revealed as they themselves said. While this is disappointing (these games are a dime a dozen on mobile atm). We shouldn't act like they don't have some further stuff in the works. This furthers the Diablo lore/narrative and bridges 2 to 3 a bit story wise. Hopefully they support it well and it brings some new fans to blizzard and the diablo frnachise and we also see a proper new diablo game put out on PC/Console.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'll just bring this up. The rest of their shit is not ready to be revealed as they themselves said. While this is disappointing (these games are a dime a dozen on mobile atm). We shouldn't act like they don't have some further stuff in the works. This furthers the Diablo lore/narrative and bridges 2 to 3 a bit story wise. Hopefully they support it well and it brings some new fans to blizzard and the diablo frnachise and we also see a proper new diablo game put out on PC/Console.
    We judge companies by what's already revealed. Anything else beyond that is just hope. 

Playstation Experience got canceled this year due to lack of new announcements and they already had more to reveal compared to Blizzard. They understood what happens when you invite everyone to a big party then serve them an excuse instead of booze.
    hamlathis[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonGobstopper3D
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Xasapis said:
    If the shoe was on the other foot Mark Kern would have a mobile/wearable version of Firefall while his poor fans tear each other apart about weapon/armor breaking mechanics during the never ending alpha of the PC version.  :D
    That tweet was actually part of a chain. Unfortunately twitter is a subpar media for meaningful interaction.

As for Firefall, it was fun for the time I spent there. It was however lacking a direction and it showed when in each major iteration the game mechanics was changing the gameplay completely. If anything, Firefall would have like to have ended in Warframe's fate, not becoming a mobile version.

I'll try and quote everything.
    Blizzard gamers are not smugly "entitled." Nor are they toxic, and they most certainly are not made about a mobile version of Diablo because they hates the wemyzn (the craziest blue-check theory I've seen so far).
    Since I was producer on Diablo 2, a lot of people have been asking for my thoughts on the whole "Diablo Immortal" fiasco. I hate to say it, but what you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore.
    There is nothing wrong with having a mobile version of Diablo. In fact, I would have wanted one as an option. But the way it was hinted at, and presented, and the failure of Blizzard management to predict the backlash caught me my surprise. Blizzard used to be really gamer driven
    Blizzard coyly played up the Diablo hype, which is a good move, but failed to anticipate that their PC based audience was going to expect...well...a PC based announcement. And that following all that hype up with a *different* product is a huge bait-n-switch feeling moment.
    Blizzard has said now, that they are working on multiple Diablo projects. They really should have dropped a teaser for their PC based project alongside their mobile announcement if that's the case.
    But what is really telling, is that this *surprised* them. They were expecting backlash, but they didn't have a plan for it. They didn't predict the wave. Any Diablo gamer could have simply TOLD you what would happen if you asked.
    Blizzard never used to have to ask, because it was made up of hard core gamers from top to bottom. We used to say we were our own harshest audience for our games. I would have had a line of devs outside my door telling me this was a bad move.
    The fact that Blizzard was a) unprepared for this reaction and b) had no plans to mitigate it even knowing some of it was coming, is a great disappointment to me. It smacks of "Ya well, suck it down" (sorry J. Romero, wasn't your fault).
    This isn't a toxic gamer issue, it's not an entitlement issue. It's just bad PR handling and ...a bad culture on the part of Blizzard I'm sad to say. It's a culture that says "we know better" and fits right in with "you think you don, but you don't."
    Maybe you don't know better, anymore, Blizzard. Maybe you've really lost touch with gamers and you are now in some billion dollar a year ivory tower. That needs some reflection on your part. Because that's out big businesses fail. Remember Nokia? Remember Blockbuster Video?
    Today's devs needs to talk to gamers all the time. Game dev has gotten so big it's easy to lose touch. Many devs stop playing games as they start making them professionally. You need to make an effort to connect and tear down the corporate wall and get to know your audience.
    And I like how Blizzard isn't blaming their customers (yet), but say they are "passionate." That's pretty good so far, but an apology an a PC reveal would be better. They are busy with Blizzcon wind-down, but I hope to see a better response after all this.
    As for mainstream game journalists, they ARE blaming gamers, and so are a lot of know-nothing devs in mobile and indie. To them I say: be prepared to lose a lot of customers and money. Because it's never right to blame your customers for your own PR blunders and learn nothing.
    kjempffbartoni33deniterCazriel
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    "Personally I would rather do nothing than play a mobile game"
    This sums up nicely how the majority of pc gamers feel, the same who buy Blizzard products, who made Blizzard what it is, and who attend Blizzcon.
    So what if 800m in china (far east region) play mobile shit games and pay for those, we the pc gamers want quality games and that is what we pay for. There is still a fundamental difference between mobile games and pc games (and console games mostly), one is about killing time and counting beans and the other is about gaming.
    NildenRobsolf
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, nobody here is saying their move does not make sense @DMKano
    We are saying we dislike it.

They have their right to opt to pull some candy crush fiscal year carnival move...

And we have the right to dislike it because as fans of their IPs it does not take our desires in consideration.

I don't get your point in trying to see their side. We know their side: Money. Edit to add: We just expected more from them. Because we like them. Such cheap move is something below them.

I am saying that us disliking it has zero impact on Blizzards bottom line in case of Diablo mobile.

This is literally none of Blizzards concern - they knew that Diablo mobile would have zero appeal to your average Blizzcon patron - these are not your mobile players.

They still chose to announce it at Blizzcon because they lose nothing if the crowd was disappointed, so might as well do it.

Mobile players are often unaware of upcoming games because every day there's a huge number of them released. The ones that bubble to the top have huge marketing campaigns behind them - Blizzard can do that no problem.

People have every right to be upset about whatever they want - it's a bit delusional to think that Blizzard has any obligations to live up to everyone's expectations as far as what products they release.

The core issue is - unmet expectations create disappointment,  and that is not Blizzards problem, people have to manage their own expectations 

You think no one at Blizzard cares that this is happening?

I'm sorry but you're wrong. They are busting their balls right now trying to keep it quiet and minimize the damage. They would not be doing that if it didn't matter.

I am telling you that Blizzard knew about the backlash and was ready to do damage control months ago. 

Well, the stuttering and stammering guys on the stage that everyone could see were stunned by the crowd's reaction would beg to disagree with you.

Follow that up by the utter lack of simultaneous PR spin in the media and it's clear to everyone that this was NOT a reaction that Blizzard expected. 

Did they recently hire Scott Hartsman or something?

I agree that they probably anticipated some backlash. But it was way more brutal than they expected. I've never seen a crowd so disappointed and agitated as this year's Blizzcon. The facetious questions asked by the attendees put the hosts on the spot. They did their best to keep their composure. Unfortunately it did not go well for them. 

If as Kano says they were absolutely ready for the onslaught. Why were the hosts responses so terrible and unprepared? Like a deer paralyzed in the middle of the road by headlights. I actually felt bad for the guys on stage. 

I agree with you @Slapshot1188 . Blizzard for the first time ever were not master's of their domain. I wonder what kind of effect this will have on next year's attendance 
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, nobody here is saying their move does not make sense @DMKano
    We are saying we dislike it.

They have their right to opt to pull some candy crush fiscal year carnival move...

And we have the right to dislike it because as fans of their IPs it does not take our desires in consideration.

I don't get your point in trying to see their side. We know their side: Money. Edit to add: We just expected more from them. Because we like them. Such cheap move is something below them.

I am saying that us disliking it has zero impact on Blizzards bottom line in case of Diablo mobile.

This is literally none of Blizzards concern - they knew that Diablo mobile would have zero appeal to your average Blizzcon patron - these are not your mobile players.

They still chose to announce it at Blizzcon because they lose nothing if the crowd was disappointed, so might as well do it.

Mobile players are often unaware of upcoming games because every day there's a huge number of them released. The ones that bubble to the top have huge marketing campaigns behind them - Blizzard can do that no problem.

People have every right to be upset about whatever they want - it's a bit delusional to think that Blizzard has any obligations to live up to everyone's expectations as far as what products they release.

The core issue is - unmet expectations create disappointment,  and that is not Blizzards problem, people have to manage their own expectations 

You think no one at Blizzard cares that this is happening?

I'm sorry but you're wrong. They are busting their balls right now trying to keep it quiet and minimize the damage. They would not be doing that if it didn't matter.

I am telling you that Blizzard knew about the backlash and was ready to do damage control months ago. 

Well, the stuttering and stammering guys on the stage that everyone could see were stunned by the crowd's reaction would beg to disagree with you.

Follow that up by the utter lack of simultaneous PR spin in the media and it's clear to everyone that this was NOT a reaction that Blizzard expected. 

Did they recently hire Scott Hartsman or something?

Even as a PR fuck up - do you believe that this will have any impact on Diablo Immortal sales?

You do know that when a company knows something that doesnt mean that every single employee is given the privilege?

Blizzard higher ups probably laughed at the stammering and said "those poor bastards" I guess they didnt want to demoralize the presentation team hehe.

Blizzard knew about the backlash, obviously not everyone working there knew.

But hey Diablo Immortal will live or die by a how well Blizzard markets this globally - again the mobile masses dont know what Diablo and certainly completely unaware of any kind of a PR issue.

The thing is as usual the only people outraged here are those who are not the intended players - aka non-mobile players, so they pissed off the customers who would have never spent a cent on Diablo Immortal - yeah heh
    I think the point you're missing is that while this might not effect their mobile sales. It could very well have an impact on their future PC titles/expansions. They are currently working on a new IP. After this Blizzcon, the fans might not embrace it right away like in the past. A good example is the reception Anthem has gotten so far. People are interested, but I never see anyone foaming at the mouth for it. Bioware pissed off their fans, so it's not shocking.

For someone on the inside, you seem oblivious to what is really happening. No offense.
    edited November 2018
    So the Diablo mobile title isn't even an original Blizzard work?

They literally made a big announcement about how they were licensing skins to NetEase?

/Facepalm

I agree with @Superman0X, they are wayyyyy out of touch with their general fanbase, and it's starting to snowball between BfA and this Blizzcon announcement.
    @MadFrenchie ; I reacted the same way finding out this information. Blizzard has always built solid games. Building their own engines. Taking their time. So to read that they outsourced their second most popular IP. It diminishes any interest I might of had.

I like mobile gaming. So I was excited to see what Blizzard could bring. Thinking they might revolutionize mobile gaming expectations. Instead this just feels like them trying to make as much $ as possible with the least amount of effort.
    MadFrenchie
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    So they just keep reloading that video until they get a response they like? niiiice and apparently deleting negative comments. Finally done with Blizzard

Again - if you worked for Blizzard marketing team you would be doing the same thing.

The downvoting is being done by a  PC crowd - not mobile gamers - which Blizzard is well aware of so yep - they will keep doing whatever it takes to minimize the pissed off mob who was not the intended market of ruining this for them.

If the mobile gamers were coming out in droves and downvoting - you'd have a point.

But again put it all into perspective and their actions make sense
     How does one know if a downvote is from a mobile gamer or PC gamer? What about a super duper gamer like me that games on phone, tablet, PC and console? Is my downvote counted as Pi?
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

I am telling you that Blizzard knew about the backlash and was ready to do damage control months ago. None of this is surprising to them - again because they know that 95% of Blizzcon crowd are not mobile players.

Blizzard cares greatly about things that would impact their bottom line - upset forum posters and blizzcon crowd - they weren't gonna blow money on a mobile game anyways - so Blizzard is like - Fuck it  - we'll manage the fallout but Diablo Immortal can still be a major cash cow for us.
    Which is precisely why Blizzcon is a weird place to make the announcement. They could have generated the same buzz with 1/100th of the negative fan reaction if they had chosen to do the reveal anywhere other than Blizzcon.

Expected or not the shitstorm of negativity they're getting is something you generally want to avoid.
    It may work for them, at least for a while. If they don't change directions, at some point, it will come back to bite them in the ass.

Trion played fast and loose and so did SoE. That didn't work out well for them in the end. But Kano might say, Blizzard is on a completely different plane. Sun, DEC, and Red Hat thought they could ignore their core base and never evolve and they paid.

Blizzard is only as good as their next game. WoW is dying fast. There are only so many times and ways they can spin that. The Classic release is a huge signal they're done. Done with ideas and energy left for the game.Of their remaining stable only Overwatch is a bigger player, but it's not in the same league as WoW used to be, or Fortnite is now. It's more like Dota or Team Fortress.

The thing that lets Blizzard play like they do is the inertia they have with their massive game franchises. They're losing that and once it's gone they're just another company.

Mobile is a double edged sword. Mobile games don't last like others do. So either a company gets in the mobile development loop or it's a one off hope for a good cash grab. My guess is this is a short term revenue grab to keep corporate numbers up while they desperately try to move forward with more solid franchises. I expect a Diablo 4 reveal sometime, and if that doesn't go over well, what else do they have? Overwatch skins? :lol:

@Torval I was thinking the exact same thing. I imagine they have shareholders that need appeasement. Bfa subs are dropping and they need something to offset that lost revenue. A low effort mobile game would be a great short term solution. If it takes off it could even help long term. Guess only time will tell.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    hamlathis said:
    :D
    Even if D:I isn't a reskin of this, the craziest thing is that Blizzard have teamed up with a company that cloned their game. It's like they saw that someone copied their game, the looks, the skills, etc... and thought, "Hey, they did a great job ripping us off. We should get them involved with our next project!".
    laxie
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    DMKano said:
    So they just keep reloading that video until they get a response they like? niiiice and apparently deleting negative comments. Finally done with Blizzard

Again - if you worked for Blizzard marketing team you would be doing the same thing.

The downvoting is being done by a  PC crowd - not mobile gamers - which Blizzard is well aware of so yep - they will keep doing whatever it takes to minimize the pissed off mob who was not the intended market of ruining this for them.

If the mobile gamers were coming out in droves and downvoting - you'd have a point.

How does one know if a downvote is from a mobile gamer or PC gamer? What about a super duper gamer like me that games on phone, tablet, PC and console? Is my downvote counted as Pi?
    Because logic. Mobile gamers are not going to downvote a Diablo game in droves like that and we already know the pc gamers are doing it. 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Diablo Immortal proves that Activision Blizzard is out of touch with it's players. Creatively bankrupt and motivated by greed and not passion or upholding a reputation for quality games. All they care about is getting money from the mobile market.

It's so self evident it's depressing and soul crushing anger being felt by most fans, myself included.

The Blizzard that made amazing quality games like Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft is gone. In it's place is a Blizzard who partners up with a company that rips off their games with cheap reskins on mobile and they announces them at Blizzcon.

No King lives forever. R.I.P. Blizzard.

Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

DMKano said:

Because logic. Mobile gamers are not going to downvote a Diablo game in droves like that and we already know the pc gamers are doing it. 
    That's a fairly big assumption to make. A lot of gamers do PC, consoles and mobile. I'm part of that group. So unless you have more than a gut feeling. I suppose both our opinions are valid. But only that opinions.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    it can be immortal all it wants, but it will always be dead to me. hard pass o:)

i honestly never liked the idea of playing games on my phone, thats the whole reason why i bought a console or pc in the first place.
    DMKano said:

That's a fairly big assumption to make. A lot of gamers do PC, consoles and mobile. I'm part of that group. So unless you have more than a gut feeling. I suppose both our opinions are valid. But only that opinions.
    It's quite logical. You are probably in a minority group of people that plays PC and Phone games as well as follows Blizzard enough to give a crap and complain if they produce a mobile game. So like I said, most mobile gamers are not on there downvoting the video.
    DMKano said:

It's quite logical. You are probably in a minority group of people that plays PC and Phone games as well as follows Blizzard enough to give a crap and complain if they produce a mobile game. So like I said, most mobile gamers are not on there downvoting the video.
    I actually don't believe that I'm in the minority. The total mobile players is full of all kinds of people. A lot are maybe mobile gamers only. But I would bet that a good amount (if not majority) of PC and console players play some form of mobile gaming. I play 2 mobile games (Star Wars:Galaxy of Heroes,  and Marvel Strike Force), in each one I have been in many guilds/alliances and the vast majority of in game chat is about console games and/or PC. 

"Can't make the raid Red Dead released" is all i read in global and guild lol. It might be anecdote, but it's more than just your opinion. This site is not a good indication of the multiplatform gamers. It's PC mmo fans, bitter vets, some old timers and Bill and Susie. Younger gamers are all about playing it all. 

I used to think just like you. But actually giving them a shot(mobile) and learning what I have from my experience taught me otherwise. You probably won't agree so let's just respectfully disagree.
    ceratop001[Deleted User]
    DMKano said:

I actually don't believe that I'm in the minority. The total mobile players is full of all kinds of people. A lot are maybe mobile gamers only. But I would bet that a good amount (if not majority) of PC and console players play some form of mobile gaming. I play 2 mobile games (Star Wars:Galaxy of Heroes,  and Marvel Strike Force), in each one I have been in many guilds/alliances and the vast majority of in game chat is about console games and/or PC. 

"Can't make the raid Red Dead released" is all i read in global and guild lol. It might be anecdote, but it's more than just your opinion. This site is not a good indication of the multiplatform gamers. It's PC mmo fans, bitter vets, some old timers and Bill and Susie. Younger gamers are all about playing it all. 

I used to think just like you. But actually giving them a shot(mobile) and learning what I have from my experience taught me otherwise. You probably won't agree so let's just respectfully disagree.
    You think mobile gamers downvoted the videos? Really? Honestly? 
    DMKano said:

Im sure some did. I mean, I watch stuff on YouTube on my phone all the time. Diablo Immortal also is on the Android play store. You can pre-register now. Game details and trailer are on the front page lol.

I'm willing to bet mobile gamers watched the trailer, noticed it looked identical to a previous mobile game. Something they would pick up way easier say than someone like yourself who doesn't game on mobile. Saw the cloning and downvote whether they know what Diablo is or not.
    Phrylaserit[Deleted User]
  • WenchesnmeadWenchesnmead Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Xiaoki said:
    I call bullshit. 

The user base that took Blizzard to the mega corp it is are not people who would get hype about a mobile re-skin of an older version. There are no "mobile gamers" there is only a mobile user base. If Blizzard desired to fleece the mobile user base,they could have done it without the dramatics that target their die-hards.

They thought the base wanted this. They invested in the reveal. They were confident. They were wrong.

People being consumer drones has nothing to do with it. Sure it will likely do well on sales day because compulsive mobile purchase people and FOMO (fear of missing out), but they have a 1:32 ratio of positive to negative sentiment. Blizzard got their ass kicked on this in plain view, and the fans don't forget.

So here's to hoping the uptick in revenue was worth the marketing diarrhea they now have in the bed

Do remember EA/Bioware/Mass Effect debacles...
    This post perfectly illustrates the disconnect this board has with reality.

There are mobile gamers, just because you dont know any doesnt mean they dont  exist.

If they didnt exist then Black Desert Mobile wouldnt be making 3x more money than the PC version.

Or NCsoft's mobile games making almost 2x more than all of their PC MMOs combined.

In Activision Blizzard's reports you can see that King(Candy Crush) makes more than Blizzard at a fraction of the production costs.

Also, you call ME Andromeda a debacle and it did perform under expectations but it did sell millions of copies and was a financial success.

Developers persue the mobile market because thats where the money is.
    The disconnect is on your end.  It’s like McDonalds making an announcement at the cattle convention for their new veggie burger. And telling attendees “You eat veggies right?”

Actually you're way off on this comparison and there's a real life example.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/canadian-burger-chain-sells-out-of-plant-based-patties

A and W in Canada pushed out a veggie burger when no other competitors were.

I am sure when it launched in the summer neckbeards and average plebs thought it was the worst idea ever.

But lo and behold it was an effing lights out success for them and now their competitors have to play catch up.

So assuming you know anything before there is real world evidence beyond a bunch of whiny gamers start crying and that proves literally nothing at all.

We will see once the game is released how it is received.

Personally I just think the game looks like a typical crap game and have zero interest in it.

But everyone on these boards are acting like they got shit figured out.

You don't.

Let it launch and when it fails then we can all rub our puds together how we were right.

Until then stop the pretentious bs like any of us know shit.

• WenchesnmeadWenchesnmead Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Aeander said:
    klash2def said:
    I will never understand why people get so upset because their favorite game company made something that's not for them. Its the same thing to me as getting upset because Marvel is making toys aimed at 10 year olds instead of a film. 

It not like Blizzard is never going to make another Diablo, and even if they didn't, you can still play the other Diablo games or products by blizzard. Hell there are thousands of games to play not named Diablo. 

I find it hard to be upset because some new thing isn't made with me in mind. I'm not even trying to defend blizzard, I personally dont care for diablo that much but its just nuts seeing people get so upset over this new game because they feel like it wasn't for them. I really dislike gamer entitlement, and the sooner we move past it the better quality content we will get. Devs already have enough pressure as is. Some reactions are just not necessary. 

Btw there is a huge market for Mobile gaming so Blizzard did nothing wrong b trying to throw a real contender in that market. Even Bethesda has a big Mobile game coming. Mobile is part of the future of gaming. 
    The problem isn't that we are getting a mobile game. It is fine that we are getting a mobile game. The problem is that the franchise has been dormant for four years, and for the forseeable future, the ONLY thing we're getting is a mobile game. 

Perfectly stated Aeander. 

I would have been thrilled to effing bits if they announced anything relevant even if it was for D3. But the game has become the flying dutchman for blizzard.

Thats the part thats aggravating.

A mobile game makes 100% sense to make. 

I may not play it but making a mobile game is not the issue in the slightest.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Personally I see no attraction in mobile games. I play PC games for fun, I play mobile games to kill time. Snake is a good mobile game, not Immortal. I have job where I dont get bored and I rarely have to wait anywhere for more than 10 minutes and If I have long enough free to play a game I sure as hell wont spend it tapping a mobile screen when my PC is right next to me.

So who is the target audience? Kids mostly, of course. My friends daughters spend more time playing games on mobile than we boys did playing on PC 20 years ago.

It just that... we are simply not Blizzards target audience anymore.
  • cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    the only reason diablo immortal is being released is for the cash grab since they were jealous of lineage M making 1 billion dollars in 6 months. china is a gold mine for gaming, you can just develop a sub par online game and make so much profit if you become successful.

there is absolutely nothing special with this pile of garbage considering it was developed by netease. why did they partner up with a chinese company? because china no longer allows foreign companies to make profit in their country so they have to partner up with a chinese company and have them develop the game to rake in the profits.

tldr: netease developed this garbage cash grab to make profit in china.
    DMKano said:

Im sure some did. I mean, I watch stuff on YouTube on my phone all the time. Diablo Immortal also is on the Android play store. You can pre-register now. Game details and trailer are on the front page lol.

I'm willing to bet mobile gamers watched the trailer, noticed it looked identical to a previous mobile game. Something they would pick up way easier say than someone like yourself who doesn't game on mobile. Saw the cloning and downvote whether they know what Diablo is or not.
    Some possibly, but I would bet real money that 99% or more of the downvotes come from blizzard fans that are pissed off they didn’t get a pc version announced.
    MrMelGibsonRobsolf
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Some possibly, but I would bet real money that 99% or more of the downvotes come from blizzard fans that are pissed off they didn’t get a pc version announced.

Agree, but I think there's more to the reasoning than that.

ANYBODY that sits people down in a big auditorium to announce their "big deal of the year" is a friggin' mobile game, should expect to have fruit thrown at them.  But here we have the folks at Blizzard, of which great things are expected.  I can't imagine paying that much money for tickets to a Con and having the flagship announcement be a friggin' mobile game.  You think the birds are angry...

If they had announced it along with other new, bigger things happening, I think it would be a different story.  D:I is 30 person room news, tops.  Or a 5 minute blurb in the big room, which is about what Bethesda did for Fallout Shelter.  While, in true social media style the thing has been overblown to the power of 42, I can understand the initial reaction.

Now, this all could just be a matter of bad timing and unforeseen setbacks which may keep them from announcing other projects that people could actually be excited about.  Those sorts of things are a day to day reality in software development.  But this is probably the BEST CASE scenario.

The others are:

-They've got nothin'.  All that work on Titan(even being old news by now) sucked the wind out of their sails and they're way behind on their other projects.

-Blizzard(Activision) wants to move from PC development to spewing mobile crap at peeps for the MT's.  If you're in it for money and security(2 of the main reasons most of us also choose our careers), it's a legit temptation.

-They really thought PC and console players would think a portable version of D3 would be mostly considered the beez-neez by that community.

I'm honestly not sure which one of those scenarios is the scariest, let alone that it could be a combination of the three...
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DMKano said:

1. You announce a mobile product during a major convention that is primarily PC/Console gamers and anger a LOT of people.

2. Anger spreads like wildfire - again among fans and people who want  PC/Console version not mobile version

3. Blizzard anti-mobile bandwagoning effect happens globally

The downvoting is a result of the above.

Even if you downvote this as a mobile/PC/Console multi-platform player - chances are the reason for downvoting is because how Blizzard handled the mobile announcement - not the actual game itself being the reason.

So again - it's obvious to conclude that the trailer is not being downvoted because those who want to play it think the game will be bad - it's being downvoted by those who are pissed at Blizzard.
    The mobile "base" is anyone with a mobile phone capable of running these games.

I'd wager good money the vast majority of folks down voting the video own one of those phones.  They're part of the base Blizzard wanted to spend money on Immortal, don't fool yourself.
    MrMelGibson