Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last known good in the mmorpg industry

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    If instead of using your "I'm always right" engine you'd use what remains of your brains, you'd be way less puzzled.
    45 minuets to think of that... That's the best you can do when I say I'm puzzled, I left myself wide open and that the best thing you can come up with?
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Member UncommonPosts: 58
    2004 was the high water mark in my view

I've loved UO, Lineage2, WoW (when in a raiding guild) but the one that has been my home since 2009 is Darkfall. Still playing it (in Darkfall New Dawn).

Just wish someone would invent a way for Australians to get 50 ping on European servers :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    The last decent mmorpg I played was Gran Skrea Online
    Just looked it up on Steam, doesn't look too bad... why did you stop playing it ?
    It's uneven system wise. It is not too far along in development and it shows. If they can stay funded and continue the work it could be a pretty good mmorpg.
    The pvp has changed a couple of times. I like the system in place now but the world is not very large at the moment and pvp just seems pointless. PvE is ok but needs fleshed out more.
      It does have a good feel to it though. Almost like an old Runescape feel? 

I would say hold off for 6 months to a year to see where they go with it. 
     yea been playing this off and on for 3 months checking there progress , it could end being a nice little game , But they do need to make up there minds on PvP direction , as Blue said they keep changing , and do not seem to have goal yet ..

They have there feelers out in to many directions at this point imo and need to focus more on trying to get a couple of there systems further along ..

But ill keep checking it out every couple weeks to see there progress.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    You know with only a few MMOs being released each year...  Have you ever stopped to think you might have to settle for adequate instead of amazing?

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    anemo said:
    You know with only a few MMOs being released each year...  Have you ever stopped to think you might have to settle for adequate instead of amazing?
    Sure we can give that a consideration,i am sure most do.It is not as simple as either or though.

IF by adequate do you mean ,designed how i want the game to play or complete opposite?

There is a megaton that goes into each part fo the game's design,it is not as simple as adequate or amazing.

Then if we already have something that is really good to play,WHY would we choose a LESSER/adequate product and give them money to give me a subpar game?This analogy is like saying,trade me a Lamborghini for a Honda Civic,the Civic is still adequate but why would I ?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2018
    If you mean there is nothing you really like...period,then maybe you have to choose something adequate or don't play at all,then yeah there is a point to be made then.

it is still not that simple...

A game might offer 90% of what i want but let's say it is open pvp all maps,that one poor design is enough to keep me away forever.Linear questing,i don't like that one bit,it is a mindless waste of time to me.If the quests at least had some part of the LORE and immersion and perhaps related to your class,then yeah "adequate" or acceptable comes to mind. NO they are usually designed in a LAZY slap the game together manner,to which i am not paying you money to sell me that crap.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Although I've played many MMOs, I've never felt they were great. I stopped playing WoW about the time BC came out because it was tedious. The one I stuck with longest was ESO.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    anemo said:
    No, can't really agree, too many games in other styles which are pretty amazing which I've yet to play instead of settling on an MMORPG which is merely "adequate."

I don't play games like many do, who are really tourists who bounce between multiple titles on a whim.

I focus on one game at a time, and only one, until I've consumed most of its content on its entirety, so it has to be great 

delete5230CryomatrixConstantineMeruszzax

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    It was a slow process, I guess Lotro was the last MMO I joined always knowing there was going to be a MMO for me. Since then I have had to hunt for a good MMO the last one I played was ESO, there have been MMOs after that but they were came up short and not so sweet.
  • tewifiedtewified Member UncommonPosts: 4
    maplestory 2
  • BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23

Depends I guess, for me it's not a steady decline but more of a peaks and valleys kind of thing.  FFxi was my first one and I loved it, but I can't go back, the controls and ui are too wierd to me now.  I liked Vanguard but my pc couldn't handle it and could never find anyone to go delving into caves with.  Bdo was fun for a bit but got boring, Lotro I keep going back to mostly because I like the scenery and story.  FFxiv was fun till my buddies quit and I realized I don't like speed running instance dungeons where you have to know everything before you start.  Never found another group of people to play with that weren't cliquish or elitist.  Gw2 is fun for me in spurts but a bug in a story mission really pissed me off not too long ago so stopped playing it.  Aion was a high point till I got to end game and was way to far behind on pvp gear and my legion dissolved. I don't mind getting ganked because I know I'm not that good at pvp but when it's constant I get sick of it.

So I guess the 2nd time I played lotro was the highpoint to me, from Rise of Isengard to Helm's Deep.  Till my kinship broke up and the Helm's Deep big battles got boring.  I think I see a trend here of enjoying not that great games because I meet cool people but when they leave my interest wanes. And really not liking instance dungeons since I meander through games and take my time.  By the time I get to end game everyone has already done it and I go in "blind" and "noobish" and underperform.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited November 2018
    Hmmm difficult, I think it was right before everybody turned into a whiner. No clue what I was playing at that time, but man, everything was much more fun before that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    BossChono said:

Aion was a high point till I got to end game and was way to far behind on pvp gear and my legion dissolved. I don't mind getting ganked because I know I'm not that good at pvp but when it's constant I get sick of it.

That is the lifecycle of a grind, PvP-centric MMORPG.

The egotistical hardcores really make the game unworthy playing.

They grief players into quitting, and then blame the developers for not doing enough to keep or attract new players...

Ignorant of the fact that the game's biggest problem is them and their attitude.

FFA PvP is good, in theory, but such a system doesn't account for the fact that the people who are there first may (and usually do) grief everyone below them simply "because they can." This actually turns something that should be good (when approached properly) into a massive negative for the game.

Karma systems can exist (i.e. Lineage II), but usually the developers put something in the game that allows it to be mitigated if not outright eliminated as a factor (i.e. L2 Sin Eater quest).

Personally, I would never play an FFA PvP game.  I don't mind organized PvP (WoW BGs, Areana, Competitive FPS like Overwatch, Destiny 2 Crucible, etc.), but I don't do FFA anymore.  It's just heaven for griefers, which does nothing but make the entire experience a chore.
    [Deleted User]
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Quizzical said:
    It was all downhill after Pong.  </sarcasm>
    Those were the days... when innovation really meant something!
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited November 2018

Kyleran said:
    anemo said:
    No, can't really agree, too many games in other styles which are pretty amazing which I've yet to play instead of settling on an MMORPG which is merely "adequate."

I don't play games like many do, who are really tourists who bounce between multiple titles on a whim.

I focus on one game at a time, and only one, until I've consumed most of its content on its entirety, so it has to be great 

That's a great way to fall into the trap being referred to in the post you quoted, and really not a great way to stay informed about what the market has to offer.  If you don't play other games, then you aren't informed about them.  Reading about them on a website does not inform you.  Reading forum posts doesn't inform you.  Playing them does.  That is why game reviewers... PLAY the game when reviewing them (and that is really only their own, personal, review of it... not YOURS).

Human beings are fickle.  Our likes and dislikes are fluid.  Our preferences are fluid.  Our moods are fluid.  A game that was good today may get an update or expansion that makes it bad tomorrow.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with jumping from game to game.  Boredom and monotony are actual things that exist.

In most MMORPGs on the market, you can point to specific instances when the game got a huge update or a change in business model or development philosophy was made.  Those can put players off and drive them to other games.  These don't happen at the same time...  They can bounce players around...

The reason why the players are bouncing around is because no one is offering anything that captures their attention for more than a few months.  That is not their fault.  That's normal human behavior.  You don't waste your time consumer content in a mediocre game just for some completionist ambitious.  Time flies when you're having "fun."

You'll be 5 years older before you know it.

I'd rather not :-P

I tend to be fairly quick triggered with games.  If an MMORPG doesn't interest me within the first 5 hours of gameplay, I am not gambling the next 1-500 hours on the off chance that it "eventually will."

I'm not that stupid, anymore.
    Darksworm said:

Kyleran said:
    anemo said:

That's a great way to fall into the trap being referred to in the post you quoted, and really not a great way to stay informed about what the market has to offer.  If you don't play other games, then you aren't informed about them.  Reading about them on a website does not inform you.  Reading forum posts doesn't inform you.  Playing them does.  That is why game reviewers... PLAY the game when reviewing them (and that is really only their own, personal, review of it... not YOURS).

Human beings are fickle.  Our likes and dislikes are fluid.  Our preferences are fluid.  Our moods are fluid.  A game that was good today may get an update or expansion that makes it bad tomorrow.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with jumping from game to game.  Boredom and monotony are actual things that exist.

In most MMORPGs on the market, you can point to specific instances when the game got a huge update or a change in business model or development philosophy was made.  Those can put players off and drive them to other games.  These don't happen at the same time...  They can bounce players around...

The reason why the players are bouncing around is because no one is offering anything that captures their attention for more than a few months.  That is not their fault.  That's normal human behavior.  You don't waste your time consumer content in a mediocre game just for some completionist ambitious.  Time flies when you're having "fun."

You'll be 5 years older before you know it.

I'd rather not :-P

I tend to be fairly quick triggered with games.  If an MMORPG doesn't interest me within the first 5 hours of gameplay, I am not gambling the next 1-500 hours on the off chance that it "eventually will."

I'm not that stupid, anymore.
    I have been called many things but "fluid" is not one of them, especially when it comes to understanding my personal preferences.

I actually can fairly accurately discern whether I will enjoy something or not from reading or listening to the opinions of others. 

The more I know about their personal preferences the better I can hit the target.

Last summer I asked people here for their favorite single player games from which I boiled down to a list of 25 or so to play.

I might be 7 or 8 games into the list and so far I've really not missed on any of them and only one game did I not play until "finished." (My lack of hand eye coordination prevents me from getting past a certain point, quite a ways into the game)

Well, I haven't finished with NMS. set aside while I do my 5th playthrough of Fallout 4, in preparation for FO76 which I'm going to play in spite of what I've been reading. (I'll likely regret this decision)

So no, I am not concerned I'm missing out on much by not trying everything under the sun, I view my actions as being terribly efficient at choosing new games to play.

B)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Kyleran said:
    anemo said:

I can see this thought set working.

Though I've found myself less open to single player games, so obviously I need to cast wider nets than you.   The randomizing element that real people can add is defining (for me),  even in games like FFXIV which have some explicit designs to minimize how much others can actually change your gameplay.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    anemo said:
    I'm one of the lucky players that doesn't need to play an MMO, though I'd like to. I have so many other games I can play that "settling" is out of the question.
    Kylerankitarad

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

anemo said:
    Kyleran said:
    anemo said:

Though I've found myself less open to single player games, so obviously I need to cast wider nets than you.   The randomizing element that real people can add is defining (for me),  even in games like FFXIV which have some explicit designs to minimize how much others can actually change your gameplay.
    I was like you for about 15 yrs, pretty much only playing MMORPGs up until last summer

I was finally worn down and resigned myself to the fact the industry had long since stopped making MMOPRGs I considered worthwhile so I moved on rather than settling for less.

Really sad thing is, the NPCs in Fallout 4 "talk" to me more than real life players have in MMOs for many years now.  I actually care about what happens to them, something I no longer feel for real people in games.

;)

kitaradAlBQuirkypsychosiz1ceratop001Tuor7

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Kyleran said:
    anemo said:
    Kyleran said:
    anemo said:

I was like you for about 15 yrs, pretty much only playing MMORPGs up until last summer

I was finally worn down and resigned myself to the fact the industry had long since stopped making MMOPRGs I considered worthwhile so I moved on rather than settling for less.

Really sad thing is, the NPCs in Fallout 4 "talk" to me more than real life players have in MMOs for many years now.  I actually care about what happens to them, something I no longer feel for real people in games.

;)

In a lot of ways I agree with you I am more invested in the NPCs in my single player games than what I feel for my online group mates. Most are so damn rude and annoying I am wishing them dead every few minutes when they run off and pull more before I am ready. Then when they die they blame ,yeah you got it the healer > me.
    KyleranAlBQuirkypsychosiz1

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I used to enjoy playing MMOs because it was fun to play with other people...Then it was fun to play alone but have others to talk to and to sell and buy from....Now its like a single player game where other people are around but no one talks.
    Tuor7
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    I haven't had this much fun in video games (not just mmorpgs) in years as I have had in the last four days in the lotro legendary servers.  

You can doom and gloom all you want but there are plenty of good games including MMOs are there.  
    Kyleran
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Burning Crusade, imo was the last time I really was into MMO's

I have tried them all since and none capture me