Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers - Relic Weapons & Forts Dev Stream - MMORPG.com

Comments

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Wizardry said:

Hope ...promise?It looks like a cheap Indie game,cartoon graphics,cheap texture work.
    At this point in time,this era of gaming,that locked camera angle needs to go and fast,like get out of here.Sure maybe a small team first game using a crap game engine,needed to make some money first,but this is well beyond that point,time to step up and make a real game or one that looks professional.

There is a reason Wildstar failed,that cartoony  look is not just cartoony,it looks CHEAP,it looks bad.I said the same thing back then with WS,if your gear looks bad,your items look bad,your housing/fort and objects all look cheap and cartoony,your character looks cheap/low poly then HOW can you enjoy your game stay?

To me it is like if you had to drive a car around that had tons of rust and a faded paint job,you wouldn't feel good about your driving experience.

Yeah i get it,they have little money,they are aiming for a cheap build that is fast to make but can we still call them an Indie company?I mean some of these guys have a LOT of experience in the field,time to move past the Indie phase.

Dude, you are crazy, the game looks gorgeous.
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    They are in league with Perfect World??? Not touching this like ever.
  • ceh430ceh430 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    yea this reminds me good old Mythos, damn i loved that game... i still have on external disk leaked server source code, but never had time to check it out :P
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2018
    Gravend said:

xDarkjoy said:

Gravend said:

Scorchien said:

Gravend said:

Also putting a lot of hope into this game. Nothing in the next few years atm looks as promising.

Chaosbane and Wolcen also look promising for the ARPGs

Not familiar with chaosbane. However, I do own Wolcen and in it's current state its pretty but gameplay is lacking. It's very similar to how grim dawn plays.

Wolcen is nothing like Grim Dawn... and I can't even fathom how you made that connection.

Played both games for several weeks and the combat and fluidity of both feels exactly the same with shinier graphics. Perhaps you should do some more playthroughs
    Ive been playing Wolcen for near 3 years now, every build,  and grim dawn to end game , it most certainly has its own distinct feel from GD
    edited November 2018
    If PWE wasn't the publisher, I'd be all over this.  I loved Torchlight ... just thinking about it makes me want to pickup Torchlight 2 again, which I never did finish.
    PWE also published Torchlight 1 and 2 , and we had no trouble ..
    ThupliinfomatzTokken
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I just feel this is Torchlight 2 MMO, which is not bad but easy way to explain what it is.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Scorchien said:
    If PWE wasn't the publisher, I'd be all over this.  I loved Torchlight ... just thinking about it makes me want to pickup Torchlight 2 again, which I never did finish.
    Everybody is looking for some reason to discredit Torchlight when it's track record has been shiny. When Blizzard was blowing it with the D3 launch, Torchlight 2 was there with open arms.

The only bad thing I can say about the franchise will be from me playing Torchlight Frontiers and it not being good. Until then, based on what's being presented and history, it's a good bet that this will be decent.

On another note, I get that some people need art style to make them feel like a serious adult while playing video games but it's OK. It's 2018. No one is judging. Gaming is an accepted hobby. It doesn't need to be dark, dank, and photo realistic. If no one pushed you in a locker for Minecraft/Trove you'll survive.  :D
    [Deleted User]ThuplielveoneinfomatzTokken
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Wizardry said:
    Hope ...promise?It looks like a cheap Indie game,cartoon graphics,cheap texture work.
    At this point in time,this era of gaming,that locked camera angle needs to go and fast,like get out of here.Sure maybe a small team first game using a crap game engine,needed to make some money first,but this is well beyond that point,time to step up and make a real game or one that looks professional.

There is a reason Wildstar failed,that cartoony  look is not just cartoony,it looks CHEAP,it looks bad.I said the same thing back then with WS,if your gear looks bad,your items look bad,your housing/fort and objects all look cheap and cartoony,your character looks cheap/low poly then HOW can you enjoy your game stay?

To me it is like if you had to drive a car around that had tons of rust and a faded paint job,you wouldn't feel good about your driving experience.

Yeah i get it,they have little money,they are aiming for a cheap build that is fast to make but can we still call them an Indie company?I mean some of these guys have a LOT of experience in the field,time to move past the Indie phase.
    Jesus, guy.  You're like a broken record.  

Cartoon graphics bad!  
    Locked camera angle needs to go!

This isn't your style of game, move along and quit shitting all over other peoples work.  Surprised there are no UT or FFXI comments thrown in there.
    ThupliSolar_Prophetinfomatz
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Scorchien said:
    Everybody is looking for some reason to discredit Torchlight when it's track record has been shiny. When Blizzard was blowing it with the D3 launch, Torchlight 2 was there with open arms.

The only bad thing I can say about the franchise will be from me playing Torchlight Frontiers and it not being good. Until then, based on what's being presented and history, it's a good bet that this will be decent.

On another note, I get that some people need art style to make them feel like a serious adult while playing video games but it's OK. It's 2018. No one is judging. Gaming is an accepted hobby. It doesn't need to be dark, dank, and photo realistic. If no one pushed you in a locker for Minecraft/Trove you'll survive.  :D
    Perfect World only published 1 and 2

This one is completely different from a development perspective and PW is all over this. With money involved this time from PW do not think this Torchlight will be like the others. This is just another online game from PW that is created to monetize exactly like their other games. 
    GaaS and Torchlight = fail for fans  
    Given the stock they have with the previous versions, they've earned the ability to f#$% up before I pass judgement. I'm not saying you're wrong, but given your stance on Neowiz/Bless I find your response hilariously ironic. 

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Scorchien said:

This one is completely different from a development perspective and PW is all over this. With money involved this time from PW do not think this Torchlight will be like the others. This is just another online game from PW that is created to monetize exactly like their other games. 
    I definitley understand the concern , but im gonna stay 1/2 full , and hope they dont mess this up .. Or maybe they just the Cosmetic route like POE , there certainly is room in the genre if done right ..
    [Deleted User]

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited November 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I definitley understand the concern , but im gonna stay 1/2 full , and hope they dont mess this up .. Or maybe they just the Cosmetic route like POE , there certainly is room in the genre if done right ..
    I agree and it is for sure the most positive way to think. I have seen PW ruin otherwise decent games one after another and seeing as they actually own the Torchlight IP now there is no doubt in my mind that it will be a good game gone bad in the end. =/
    respect your opinion and hope your wrong ..... this time :)

You dont think they could go the POE route BLue i mean clothing is endless/weapon effects /skill effects /fort deco etc... POE has proven successful and reatining there fans , not driving them off with invasive cash shop items ..

I mean also you would have to think they at least looked at GGG monetization , with the success they have had ..

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:
    Tokken said:
    The hype is strong with this one, I feel it beckoning me.

But I'm waiting on word about payment model. Anyone know about that yet? Can't find anything on it.

I'm not touching this if it's anything like I've come to expect from PWE.

*insert picture of cow milked dry here*
    I am hoping it is a buy to play model. Not a subscription.  Pay for Frontier Expansions. I think.
    If the game has a cash shop at all I'm out. I'm so tired of getting milked. If it is truly B2P then I'll play it. I love hack-n-slash looters. I liked TL2 well enough modded. But no cosmetic cash shop, no paying for respecs with real money. No R.M.T.

If people want to play whale driven gaming, that's fine. PoE is popular and people love it, but I hate it. I have a few of those left that I'm winding down and I'm trying really hard not to pick any more up.
    Why do hate POE Torval , Because of the Cosmetic Shop ..? And i realize there are Stash Tabs also ....

And i would understand if the thinking is that stuff should be earned in game i would agree . it can be hell finding decent looks in that game without paying , But it is less offensive than most, and they gotta make money some how .. I imagine that POE would survive on a modest sub also.. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:
    Tokken said:

But I'm waiting on word about payment model. Anyone know about that yet? Can't find anything on it.

I am hoping it is a buy to play model. Not a subscription.  Pay for Frontier Expansions. I think.
    If the game has a cash shop at all I'm out. I'm so tired of getting milked. If it is truly B2P then I'll play it. I love hack-n-slash looters. I liked TL2 well enough modded. But no cosmetic cash shop, no paying for respecs with real money. No R.M.T.

If people want to play whale driven gaming, that's fine. PoE is popular and people love it, but I hate it. I have a few of those left that I'm winding down and I'm trying really hard not to pick any more up.
    Yeah right there with ya. 
    After years of being nickel and dimed it is getting harder and harder to keep supporting companies that continue to do it. (I helped contributed to this with Bless)
    It is getting worse too. ActivBlizz made $4 billion last year in microtransactions alone. $4 billion! Companies like PWE would never release this game as a B2P only game. Just no way. The cash shop will be front and center just like their other games. Shame too, they own a few quality IPs (Star Trek, D&D, Torchlight and their upcoming game Remnent) but their GaaS model ruins the experiences. Torchlight as was known is dead. Long live the cash shop.
    Dang you 2 bringing me down a bit , but bear with me , im medded up pretty good , had a Full Left Knee Replacement Wednesday
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Since it's a quasi-MMO, don't count on no cash shop. That said, I don't get why people feel they have to spend money in a cosmetic-only shop. I very rarely do and enjoy myself immensely in every game I play where the gameplay is good.

So much angst when we simply don't know anything about monetization yet. *shrugs* I guess we'll know in time.
    [Deleted User]Tokken

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Scorchien said:

Dang you 2 bringing me down a bit , but bear with me , im medded up pretty good , had a Full Left Knee Replacement Wednesday
    D: 

Take care of yourself!
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Tokken said:

Yeah right there with ya. 
    After years of being nickel and dimed it is getting harder and harder to keep supporting companies that continue to do it. (I helped contributed to this with Bless)
    It is getting worse too. ActivBlizz made $4 billion last year in microtransactions alone. $4 billion! Companies like PWE would never release this game as a B2P only game. Just no way. The cash shop will be front and center just like their other games. Shame too, they own a few quality IPs (Star Trek, D&D, Torchlight and their upcoming game Remnent) but their GaaS model ruins the experiences. Torchlight as was known is dead. Long live the cash shop.
    Ouch! Hope your recovery is quick and as pain free as is possible
    yea man , thx , im actually gonna go lay down .. ill check back later ..
    [Deleted User]

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I love the art and camera for this. It looks like so much fun. I hate Diablo 2 and PoE style. So depressing and not fun. I enjoy things that make me smile and feel good and that is what this art does for me.
    [Deleted User]
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i would be all over this if it were released on PS4.
    [Deleted User]