Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Recurring Issue in Guild Wars 2 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited November 2018
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:

Is the late game of any video game ever made hardcore? Are the difficult later levels in Candy Crush hardcore. Fucking no, because hardcore and difficult are two separate concepts. Yes, even casual mobile games progress in difficulty because people, even casual people, like to be engaged in what they are playing.

Do you even realize how fucking stupid you sound?
    Let me hold your hand here.
    No thanks. I don't consent to that.

I am Obviously a  Casual.
    Yes. 

You are a Obviously a Hardcore.
    No. You think I'm a hardcore. I'm average at best and frankly far too easily stressed out to engage in hardcore activities. But then, I'm also not dumb enough to think that Heart of Thorns open world maps are hardcore.

If you like the changes and I do not.. you would need to be dumber then donkey shit not to realize that the game is catering to Hardcore players with those changes.
    You can dislike the changes all you want. But you have yet to demonstrate how the game is no longer casual friendly because of them. Because from where I stand, there isn't a more casual friendly MMO at best.
    I tire of you. It's like arguing with a toddler, and an especially entitled brat of a toddler at that.
    Says the person who came into a casual game and cried it was too easy... 
    Is it casual or hardcore? Pick one.

At any rate, no, I didn't demand that they make it super hard. My 4,000 hours played and hundreds of dollars spent attest to the fact that I personally found it satisfying. But I'm also not complaining to that end either way. If I have complaints, it's that the game isn't compelling to me on an intellectual/buildcrafting level like its predecessor was.

But hey, there are parts of the game, like world bosses and most dungeons, that are really poorly designed, frequently exploited, and utterly devoid of even a reasonable level of player engagement. That's just a fact. These can stay easy, but it might - just might - be in their best interest to at least make these things compelling despite their lack of difficulty.

Oh, and how dare you accuse me of "coming into this game and ruining it." I have been with this franchise for 12 years. I rode that Guild Wars 2 hype train from start to finish. I was here before you. I was here from the start, enjoying myself. I was practically a Guild Wars fan before you were born.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    edited November 2018
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:

Is the late game of any video game ever made hardcore? Are the difficult later levels in Candy Crush hardcore. Fucking no, because hardcore and difficult are two separate concepts. Yes, even casual mobile games progress in difficulty because people, even casual people, like to be engaged in what they are playing.

Do you even realize how fucking stupid you sound?
    Let me hold your hand here.
    No thanks. I don't consent to that.

I am Obviously a  Casual.
    Yes. 

You are a Obviously a Hardcore.
    No. You think I'm a hardcore. I'm average at best and frankly far too easily stressed out to engage in hardcore activities. But then, I'm also not dumb enough to think that Heart of Thorns open world maps are hardcore.

If you like the changes and I do not.. you would need to be dumber then donkey shit not to realize that the game is catering to Hardcore players with those changes.
    You can dislike the changes all you want. But you have yet to demonstrate how the game is no longer casual friendly because of them. Because from where I stand, there isn't a more casual friendly MMO at best.
    I tire of you. It's like arguing with a toddler, and an especially entitled brat of a toddler at that.

and as opposed to doing the mature thing, which would have been moving on to another game that was your skill bracket, you just stayed around and cried.. and cried.. and cried that the game needed to be made harder to make you happy.. screwing over the casuals that were enjoying it..

The only entitled brat in this discussion is you, and people like you, that come into games and ruin them.
    Actually, it was you, the hyper casual who cried and got the game changed. The game was way more difficult than it is even now during its first beta phase, and it was incredible. It was interesting. It was fun. It was challenging without being frustrating. But you couldn't have that. You cried. You complained. You had the entire game sloppily reworked before it even launched. It is YOUR fault that all of this happened. Yours. You, and people like you, compromised the developer's early vision of the game because you just had to have your way.

Ungood said:
    also, there are other more casual MMO's out there, but I'd rather not tell you about them, in case GW2 becomes too hard for you, I'd rather not see you in the game I am currently playing.
    Hello Kitty Online?
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Calling anything in Guild Wars 2 "hardcore" (in terms of difficulty) is rather funny to me. As a very casual player, I was able to do pretty much all of the content without much difficulty. In fact, the only "hardcore" part of GW2 I encountered was the grind to get some of the legendary weapons, which even that can be done "casually" over a longer period of time.

The only hardcore thing about GW2 I remember specifically were pocket raptors in HoT. To be sure, HoT/PoF was more difficult than vanilla, however, that isn't saying much considering vanilla could have been easily completed with your eyes closed.
    Nanbino said:
    Sadly, although pretty much a different Genre, the original GW is still their shinning gem
    The only true thing in your entire post.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Nepheth said:

Ungood said:

Ungood said:

Aeander said:

Ungood said:

They chose to cater to the "hard Core" player group when they made HoT, and that group will only do the "events" when they are new, once they have chewed though the content (and they will do it very quickly) and got the item they needed or wanted, the content becomes worthless to them and they swiftly return to their end-game grind content like raids and fractals.

This is what Anet wanted, this was their design direction, and that was the group and community they wanted to cater to.

You can't fix getting what you wanted.

If by "cater to," you mean acknowledge the existence of, then sure. They have harcore content now. It exists. It makes up less than 1% of the game, doesn't provide any superior progression, and is strictly optional. 

Every time you make these statements, it comes across as entitled whining. Other people exist and want content which appeals to them. Them putting a handful of developers out of their pool of hundreds of developers towards optional raiding content doesn't remove the incredible breadth of casual content that the game already has, nor has it stopped them from producing large, high quality casual maps every few months. 

You still have what you want, but you're also throwing a fit because a small group of other people are now able to mind their own business and play content that appeals to them separately of your experience. The game doesn't have to only cater to you in order to cater to you.

HoT, is hardly 1% of the game.. and the whole expansion, all it's content, and even the entire elite spec of every class, is geared towards hard core players... spare me your ill informed and totally wrong rhetoric.

A full revision to Fractals, and even a few World Bosses got revised to appeal to the hard core crowed, this is NOT some little off in the way side with your private thing, this encroached into the entire game.

Coupled that with Anets approval and support of DPS programs.. they went and catered to the hardcore crowed. No matter how much you can cry and lie about it otherwise, that is the truth.

Try sucking less.

Try go fucking yourself.

Awww what a cutie you are... There is nothing hardcore with HoT. Every single thing in that expansion except raids are pretty casual and soloable. But you couldn't even do that. So it is clear that you are the problem here not the game. So you should take your own advice and perform that by yourself. Maybe that can fix your sucking problem and you can actually become a decent gamer?
    Right?  My guess?  Bought the expansion and a level boost and tried to go fight mobs with no idea how to play.  Good riddance.
    edited November 2018
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:

and as opposed to doing the mature thing, which would have been moving on to another game that was your skill bracket, you just stayed around and cried.. and cried.. and cried that the game needed to be made harder to make you happy.. screwing over the casuals that were enjoying it..

The only entitled brat in this discussion is you, and people like you, that come into games and ruin them.
    Actually, it was you, the hyper casual who cried and got the game changed. The game was way more difficult than it is even now during its first beta phase, and it was incredible. It was interesting. It was fun. It was challenging without being frustrating. But you couldn't have that. You cried. You complained. You had the entire game sloppily reworked before it even launched. It is YOUR fault that all of this happened. Yours. You, and people like you, compromised the developer's early vision of the game because you just had to have your way.
    Wrong Dumbass, I didn't start paying till a year after launch.

The more you speak the more your bullshit gets exposed.
    I meant you as in the group you represent. Not you as in you in particular. Just as I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were doing in regards to me. 

Stop being disingenuous. My point stands.

Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    I was practically a Guild Wars fan before you were born.
    I was websiting as on the internet before you sperm in your daddy's balls. 
    You being old and stupid isn't any better than you being young and stupid. And that's beside the point.
  • BekkrBekkr Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    I was practically a Guild Wars fan before you were born.
    I was websiting as on the internet before you sperm in your daddy's balls. 
    I wwebsite as on the internet.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/paul-christoforo-ocean-marketing-emails
    Ungood

|The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it. -Salvador Dali|

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I was hoping someone would catch that! Kudos and Gold Stars! 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Nepheth said:

Ungood said:

Ungood said:

Aeander said:

Ungood said:

They chose to cater to the "hard Core" player group when they made HoT, and that group will only do the "events" when they are new, once they have chewed though the content (and they will do it very quickly) and got the item they needed or wanted, the content becomes worthless to them and they swiftly return to their end-game grind content like raids and fractals.

This is what Anet wanted, this was their design direction, and that was the group and community they wanted to cater to.

You can't fix getting what you wanted.

If by "cater to," you mean acknowledge the existence of, then sure. They have harcore content now. It exists. It makes up less than 1% of the game, doesn't provide any superior progression, and is strictly optional. 

Every time you make these statements, it comes across as entitled whining. Other people exist and want content which appeals to them. Them putting a handful of developers out of their pool of hundreds of developers towards optional raiding content doesn't remove the incredible breadth of casual content that the game already has, nor has it stopped them from producing large, high quality casual maps every few months. 

You still have what you want, but you're also throwing a fit because a small group of other people are now able to mind their own business and play content that appeals to them separately of your experience. The game doesn't have to only cater to you in order to cater to you.

HoT, is hardly 1% of the game.. and the whole expansion, all it's content, and even the entire elite spec of every class, is geared towards hard core players... spare me your ill informed and totally wrong rhetoric.

A full revision to Fractals, and even a few World Bosses got revised to appeal to the hard core crowed, this is NOT some little off in the way side with your private thing, this encroached into the entire game.

Coupled that with Anets approval and support of DPS programs.. they went and catered to the hardcore crowed. No matter how much you can cry and lie about it otherwise, that is the truth.

Try sucking less.

Try go fucking yourself.

Awww what a cutie you are... There is nothing hardcore with HoT. Every single thing in that expansion except raids are pretty casual and soloable. But you couldn't even do that. So it is clear that you are the problem here not the game. So you should take your own advice and perform that by yourself. Maybe that can fix your sucking problem and you can actually become a decent gamer?
    mmm, I wouldn't say it's all soloable. I guess "soloable" when you run around with a train of some sort. Plenty of skill point missions are too tough for most people to accomplish on their own. 

While I have soloed some of the tough ones, I certainly wouldn't be able to do that on every class.

That being said, in no way is GW2 catering to the hardcore crowd outside of raids and the very highest levels of fractals.  Pretty much everything else can be done simply by showing up, and barely participating. 

Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:

I meant you as in what you represent. Not you as in you in particular. Just as I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were doing in regards to me. 

No.. I meant you.. in the sense that you directly cried and whined on their forums, twitter, reddit, etc, that the game was too easy and you needed it harder or you would quit.. like the entitled bratty child I see you as.

Me on the other hand, did the mature thing.. I just quietly walked away when it was no longer what I liked.

This does not change the fact that they have chosen to cater to their hardcore player base, and to that end, Unless they put in massive artificial grinds, things like group events for this beetle mount will be consumed swiftly after launch and then forgotten just as quickly.

That is what they wanted.. that is what they will get.
    Aeander
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited November 2018
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:

I meant you as in what you represent. Not you as in you in particular. Just as I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were doing in regards to me. 

No.. I meant you.. in the sense that you directly cried and whined on their forums, twitter, reddit, etc, that the game was too easy and you needed it harder or you would quit.. like the entitled bratty child I see you as.

Me on the other hand, did the mature thing.. I just quietly walked away when it was no longer what I liked.

This does not change the fact that they have chosen to cater to their hardcore player base, and to that end, Unless they put in massive artificial grinds, things like group events for this beetle mount will be consumed swiftly after launch and then forgotten just as quickly.

Then you would also be factually incorrect. As I, personally, did not whine about the content or the state of the game as far as difficulty or endgame. I defended it. For years. Just about anyone with knowledge of me on these forums can attest to that, as I routinely argued that Guild Wars 2's endgame was fine and that there was plenty to do.

I was happy with the game 6 years ago, and I'm even happier with it now. It's far from perfect, but it's damned good regardless.

But feel free to call me an entitled bratty child. You have no credibility. You're a walking punchline on par with such prestiguous posters as Wizardy and TheScavenger. Good fucking day, sir.
    ShadowStyleB
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited November 2018
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:

Then you would also be factually incorrect. As I, personally, did not whine about the content or the state of the game as far as difficulty or endgame. I defended it. For years. Just about anyone with knowledge of me on these forums can attest to that, as I routinely argued that Guild Wars 2's endgame was fine and that there was plenty to do.

I was happy with the game 6 years ago, and I'm even happier with it now. It's far from perfect, but it's damned good regardless.

But feel free to call me an entitled bratty child. You have no credibility. You're a walking punchline on par with such prestiguous posters as Wizardy and TheScavenger. Good fucking day, sir.
    Smart as a bag of hammers he is.  
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    This is why introducing character boosts to MMORPGs is a bad thing.

Ungood said:

Also, for those that do not know this.

With HoT, Anet and GW2, went the direction of catering to the Hardcore player base. The entire expansion was designed with hard, punishing, and complex maps, to keep average and casual players out them.

Regardless of the intention, the cancer maps of HoT were the end of GW2 for me. Not even sure why they thought this would be a great idea. Most people hate the HoT maps. Flying trying to find something and falling into an abyss 20x before you get it by chance is an absolutely horrible gameplay experience, especially when you basically have to do it in order to skill up your new "class."

Also, class revamps every expansion - with accompanying meta changes - basically re-rolling your character for you, forcefully. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Ungood

Aeander said:

Ungood said:

Aeander said:

Ungood said:

Aeander said:

Ungood said:

Aeander said:

Except there was not much to do at end game. Fractals and the few raids they have? The dungeons weren't challenging, and were a rush fest, anyways... and they served no purpose as they dropped almost nothing of worth. You just bought Gold and geared up from the Auction House.

There is PvP, but that is par for the course in any MMORPG - including those with 10x the PvP content that GW2 has.

In reality, this game feels more like a Diablo-type venture than an MMORPG to me.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    GW2 is like a can of Spam. It can sit in your pantry for ages but still be good to eat if you' re desperate enough. I occasionally still play. but I'm not hooked on the game. Not like I have to log in everyday to get my GW2 fix. Anyways that's my take on the game in my personal viewpoint.
    ShadowStyleB

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    This is one of the games I just don't get. I know people love this game but I cant ever get past level 20. I find it boring and generic story wise and I really really dislike the art style. I tried to get into it several times since it came out but nope nothing. Just not for me I guess. 

Funny though I was super into the first GW.. I had a Warrior/Necro and It was a lot of fun. I played all the way until the Eye of The North xpac, so I thought I would like GW2 but once I got it, I just couldn't get into it. Idk if its a mental block or maybe my expectations are all backwards. Every time I see people talk about it I want to retry but then I remember why I quit like 10 times already. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

klash2def said:
    This is one of the games I just don't get. I know people love this game but I cant ever get past level 20. I find it boring and generic story wise and I really really dislike the art style. I tried to get into it several times since it came out but nope nothing. Just not for me I guess. 

Funny though I was super into the first GW.. I had a Warrior/Necro and It was a lot of fun. I played all the way until the Eye of The North xpac, so I thought I would like GW2 but once I got it, I just couldn't get into it. Idk if its a mental block or maybe my expectations are all backwards. Every time I see people talk about it I want to retry but then I remember why I quit like 10 times already. 
    Unfortunately, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are about as different as they could possibly be. They exist in the same universe, they share some of the same lore and locations, and they both attempt to design content around a particular maximum progression level. The similarities end there.

Guild Wars 1 was an incredibly deep game with a profound respect for the player's intelligence. Guild Wars 2 is a relatively shallow game with an emphasis on reflexes and player skill. Despite everything that Guild Wars 2 does well, I would have much preferred that they stick with the philosophies of the original. 
    klash2def
    Aeander said:

hummm?
    Aeander said

Is this really the Same person, or some odd Split kind of shit going on?

Anyway.. nothing you have said disagrees with what I have said, all you have done is express that you liked their direction change.

edited November 2018
    Ungood said:
    Aeander said:

hummm?
    Aeander said

Is this really the Same person, or some odd Split kind of shit going on?

Anyway.. nothing you have said disagrees with what I have said, all you have done is express that you liked their direction change.

I see you met Bob. Bob's an asshole.

The two statements aren't even directly contradictory. You accused me of complaining and getting the game changed back during/before Heart of Thorns. I did not. I can feel however I want about the direction of the game in the beta, at launch, and now, but if I did not publicly complain and attempt to strong-arm Arenanet into changing the game (as people like you did in the beta), then your accusation remains false. 

However I felt about the game, I stayed relatively off the official forums, enjoyed myself (I'm actually up to 6,100 hours, not 4,000 as originally stated), and when I did have a complaint to levy, it was about the game's skill design philosophy and lack of build variety, not its difficulty or lack thereof. 
    For those that have gotten lost with the exchange between myself and @Aeander

It went like this:

I said: Anet made GW2 harder to Cater to their Hardcore Player Base.

@Aeander said: @Ungood ;You're Soooo Wrong, they Just made the Game Harder to Cater to their Players that Like Challenge and Harder Content... but Obviously this was not done to cater to their Hardcore players... it was some OTHER group of players that must love harder and more challenging content.

Yes Folks.. that is the kind of nonsense I have been dealing with the last 2 pages with this guy.

Everything else is just hyperbole. 
    AeanderDvora

Aeander said:
    The two statements aren't even directly contradictory. You accused me of complaining and getting the game changed back during/before Heart of Thorns. I did not. I can feel however I want about the direction of the game in the beta, at launch, and now, but if I did not publicly complain and attempt to strong-arm Arenanet into changing the game (as people like you did in the beta), then your accusation remains false. 

I quietly stopped playing.. so people like me didn't do anything to your precious game but play it for a while till it was no longer fun for them and moved on to another game.  If anyone is making up bullshit accusations, it's you.

Pots and Kettles
    Aeander

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I get that you really hated HoT, @Ungood, but they have done a complete u-turn with Path of Fire and they also made HoT easier. HoT is still harder than usual because of the density of the mobs but it's a lot better than when you probably left the game.

I hated HoT as well when it launched and stopped playing for a long time. I don't know if you've tried PoF but you really should if you felt let down by HoT.
    Ungood
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Commenting on the article. I agree. I'm a casual, GW2 is just one game in my rotation, that means no guild as it's pointless and no grouping by choice. I still played to cap easily enough, but end game goals at the time were out of my reach, so I moved on. No tears :).

However of all the games I play, I find GW2 the most frustrating It's not just a case of end game goals being gated behind grouping, but the fact that at a certain point there is nothing else to do. So I guess my conclusion is too much is gated behind grouping.

I am well aware many like grouping and playing together, but this is *my* opinion and what keeps me personally out of GW2 now is the forced grouping. For that reason it is low on my list of games to rotate meaning I get there about once every three years or so. At level cap, it's just wasn't lone adventurer friendly enough to be worth the effort.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited November 2018
    Was never a good game to beginn of, for me at least. GW1 was just superior. GW2 is like a diablo immortal, except for PC.
    DaemonweaverAeander