Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers - Relic Weapons & Forts Dev Stream - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageTorchlight Frontiers - Relic Weapons & Forts Dev Stream - MMORPG.com

Dying to learn more about Torchlight Frontiers and two of its major features? If so, then this week's live stream that covered both relic weapons and forts is right up your alley! Check it out and let us know what you think about these two awesome systems and then get prepped for next week's first alpha event!

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Very cool , cant wait to try , it reminds a a bit of Mythos a bit now also
    SBFord[Deleted User]ceh430velimiriusjayheld90
  • akssel02akssel02 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    the game seems great with the controls and the classic graphics
    and i guess this is the time to shine without d4 ..
    SBFordRukushin[Deleted User]HarikenvelimiriusinfomatzSamhael
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    This is actually really cool. Dang can't wait to try it now.
    SBFordScorchienTokkenPhixion13
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GravendGravend Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Also putting a lot of hope into this game. Nothing in the next few years atm looks as promising.
    Gravend said:
    Also putting a lot of hope into this game. Nothing in the next few years atm looks as promising.
    Chaosbane and Wolcen also look promising for the ARPGs

SlyLoK
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Scorchien said:

I still have Mythos somewhere around here on one of my old hard drives.
    ScorchienIlayaceh430[Deleted User][Deleted User]infomatz
    edited November 2018
    MikeB said:
    Scorchien said:

I still have Mythos somewhere around here on one of my old hard drives.
    Mythos was such a great game i played every minute of it while it was up ..was better than Torchlight imo , and never understood how it got so lost , i think there was licensing trouble when Matt and co. split from Flagship..

[Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Thanks Blizzard for screwing up this year's Blizzcon so games like this have time to shine. Such a selfless company Activision-Blizzard is.
    NordicApacheTokken[Deleted User][Deleted User]jarsku85JeroKaneinfomatzSamhael
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I didn't know Billy Bob Thornton was on the dev team.
    TokkenJeroKane
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Scorchien said:

Gravend said:

Not familiar with chaosbane. However, I do own Wolcen and in it's current state its pretty but gameplay is lacking. It's very similar to how grim dawn plays.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Scorchien said:

Mythos was such a great game i played every minute of it while it was up ..was better than Torchlight imo , and never understood how it got so lost , i think there was licensing trouble when Matt and co. split from Flagship..

It is kind of a long story but basically Flagship made a deal with Hanbitsoft, Hanbitsoft was bought and the new ownership acted in an assholish manner which resulted in Flagship being dissolved and the IP transferred to Hanbitsoft where it was ruined. The team that made Mythos in Flagship banded together and they founded Runic Games who made Torchlight as a proof of concept and Torchlight 2 as a stepping stone toward remaking Mythos but then some of the team decided to make Hob instead of going on with the MMOaRPG they were building toward and then two of the three main designers and founders split to make a space faring adventure RPG in a two-man studio(Erich Schaefer and Travis Baldree - Double Damage Games) and Max Schaefer was offered to make a new studio in order to make whatever game he wanted so he did that and founded Echtra Games where development of Torchlight Frontiers began almost immediately.
    ScorchienXophjimmywolf[Deleted User]SlyLoKinfomatzSamhael
    elveone said:

Scorchien said:

It is kind of a long story but basically Flagship made a deal with Hanbitsoft, Hanbitsoft was bought and the new ownership acted in an assholish manner which resulted in Flagship being dissolved and the IP transferred to Hanbitsoft where it was ruined. The team that made Mythos in Flagship banded together and they founded Runic Games who made Torchlight as a proof of concept and Torchlight 2 as a stepping stone toward remaking Mythos but then some of the team decided to make Hob instead of going on with the MMOaRPG they were building toward and then two of the three main designers and founders split to make a space faring adventure RPG in a two-man studio(Erich Schaefer and Travis Baldree - Double Damage Games) and Max Schaefer was offered to make a new studio in order to make whatever game he wanted so he did that and founded Echtra Games where development of Torchlight Frontiers began almost immediately.
    That was it thx for the refresher , i played Mythos under Hanbitsoft also .. was a good game
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I'm impressed that UI feels like High school project with C- :)
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    The hype is strong with this one, I feel it beckoning me.

But I'm waiting on word about payment model. Anyone know about that yet? Can't find anything on it.

I'm not touching this if it's anything like I've come to expect from PWE.

*insert picture of cow milked dry here*
    They've made the usual comments about no P2W and all that.. but so did many other devs that ended up making their game P2W.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Hope ...promise?It looks like a cheap Indie game,cartoon graphics,cheap texture work.
    At this point in time,this era of gaming,that locked camera angle needs to go and fast,like get out of here.Sure maybe a small team first game using a crap game engine,needed to make some money first,but this is well beyond that point,time to step up and make a real game or one that looks professional.

There is a reason Wildstar failed,that cartoony  look is not just cartoony,it looks CHEAP,it looks bad.I said the same thing back then with WS,if your gear looks bad,your items look bad,your housing/fort and objects all look cheap and cartoony,your character looks cheap/low poly then HOW can you enjoy your game stay?

To me it is like if you had to drive a car around that had tons of rust and a faded paint job,you wouldn't feel good about your driving experience.

Yeah i get it,they have little money,they are aiming for a cheap build that is fast to make but can we still call them an Indie company?I mean some of these guys have a LOT of experience in the field,time to move past the Indie phase.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If you don't GET IT,i feel it is because i feel they DO have some money and i KNOW they can do a MUCH better job,so then maybe ask yourself as i did,then why are they not doing a better job,using a better engine and utilizing better artwork/graphics/textures/lighting etc etc?

Is it because they don't have to,they expect to make a good profit as is?
    Is it because they don't have the expertise?The team?
    Is it because they think their game looks good?Or is it simply as i mentioned earlier,to save cost,to cut lots of corners to get a game out fast within 1 year and start making money.

I prefer to see a passionate game design,not a FAST one.If your game is going to look bad,then it needs to be a REALLY good game doing a LOT of stuff and has an open camera view.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Scorchien said:

Gravend said:

You can add Last Epoch to that list. Those are pretty much the games in the genre to look for.
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

Gravend said:

Scorchien said:

Gravend said:

Not familiar with chaosbane. However, I do own Wolcen and in it's current state its pretty but gameplay is lacking. It's very similar to how grim dawn plays.

Wolcen is nothing like Grim Dawn... and I can't even fathom how you made that connection.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Wizardry: They are using Unreal Engine 4. Not many blame devs for using UE4. It's like you don't like the art style and therefor say the graphic quality is bad. Do you also think Fortnite and WoW have bad graphics?

xDarkjoy said:

Gravend said:

Scorchien said:

Gravend said:

Wolcen is nothing like Grim Dawn... and I can't even fathom how you made that connection.

Played both games for several weeks and the combat and fluidity of both feels exactly the same with shinier graphics. Perhaps you should do some more playthroughs
  • SequSequ Member UncommonPosts: 8
    As cool as this sounds nothing, the fact this is made by Perfect World Entertainment means I will never take it seriously
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Wizardry said:
    Hope ...promise?It looks like a cheap Indie game,cartoon graphics,cheap texture work.
    At this point in time,this era of gaming,that locked camera angle needs to go and fast,like get out of here.Sure maybe a small team first game using a crap game engine,needed to make some money first,but this is well beyond that point,time to step up and make a real game or one that looks professional.

There is a reason Wildstar failed,that cartoony  look is not just cartoony,it looks CHEAP,it looks bad.I said the same thing back then with WS,if your gear looks bad,your items look bad,your housing/fort and objects all look cheap and cartoony,your character looks cheap/low poly then HOW can you enjoy your game stay?

To me it is like if you had to drive a car around that had tons of rust and a faded paint job,you wouldn't feel good about your driving experience.

Yeah i get it,they have little money,they are aiming for a cheap build that is fast to make but can we still call them an Indie company?I mean some of these guys have a LOT of experience in the field,time to move past the Indie phase.
    To me, that art style fits the game. It tells me it's a Torchlight game. I like it because it makes it unique. 
    elveoneinfomatz

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    While im still hyped.. this yeah...

Sequ said:

As cool as this sounds nothing, the fact this is made by Perfect World Entertainment means I will never take it seriously

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    The hype is strong with this one, I feel it beckoning me.

But I'm waiting on word about payment model. Anyone know about that yet? Can't find anything on it.

I'm not touching this if it's anything like I've come to expect from PWE.

*insert picture of cow milked dry here*
    I am hoping it is a buy to play model. Not a subscription.  Pay for Frontier Expansions. I think.
    [Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited November 2018
    This looks like its going to be fun. These forts are everything Garrisons in WOW should have been.
    • Aloha Mr Hand !