Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bill Murphy - Fallout 76 May Be the Sandbox MMO We've Been Waiting For - MMORPG.com

Comments

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    People didn't want a game like this? People wanted Fallout with the ability to play with friends. How much did they pay you to say this crap? The game is pretty bad. It's still just as buggy as 4 and uses all the same content from 4. It runs like ass in higher level areas on PC. Consoles runs like ass period. With the last update on PC my fps went from around 90-104 to 65 most of the time in the higher areas which was pretty bad at times it dropped to 39! Running an Intel I7 6700k, 12 gigs of ram, and an Nvidia 1070.

I spent 100% of my time in 76 from level 2 to 22 in the 35+ areas. These areas are crazy buggy!
    Since most of the play time is focused for hours at a time many people didn't wonder out of the low level areas to test the higher level areas. I am telling you once the game is released and people have time to level they will find out how insanely buggy the game really is since the high end zone never got a full test unlike the low level zones. I am talking about mobs getting stuck inside walls, mobs sliding around like they're on ice, mobs being able to hit you through objects, and mobs getting stuck inside buildings. AI just up and not working, AI glitching out on simple things like stairs, a chair, a desk... I have had quests just up and stop working on me making me have to get them again. I have found areas that you can get stuck inside things forcing you to have to fast travel to get out of them. This game is a buggy mess and it honestly needs to be pushed back a month to fix the broken and horribly buggy AI.
    Also, without NPC's in the game it feels really dead. If you walk from town to town in the bog areas and just in general the mountain areas you will find so little wildlife that it's just boring to walk around. I have walked 20 minutes straight from one point to another and found only a couple level 1 frogs near mountain ranges. Even in the higher level areas a lot of the time you will find maybe 1 thing along the way to another town if that. The game honestly feels dead at times.

Know what game is a pretty great survival mmorpg? New World! From Amazon. It actually is a survival MMORPG with 500 people on a server, clan wars, actual good pvp, clans can take over areas and fight people for new areas. It's a pretty fun game. It also runs pretty smooth for being an Alpha running off a modded Unreal 4 engine.
    maskedweasel
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Back in the days, when mmorpgs first surfaced, players was not focused on being in a game surrounded by 100s of other players (which actually often spoil any kind of immersion), but a crpg where you meet and team up with random people, from a massive community.
    Fallout 76 is that. The community is (will be) massive. Its online and its an rpg. The feel is what I believe a lot of players are looking for, when coming to this site.
    Whatever you like it or not is one thing, but I sure find this game belong on this site
    You've made me reconsider it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    edited November 2018

1.) My title probably made you all miss the point of the actual article - try this game if and when a trial comes. If you get a free BETA key, at least try it. 

2.) I wish I did get paid for articles like this by the devs. I do get paid by Ben and Craig, but at part time wages. So yeah?

Your title is wrong. You are either starting to resort to click-bait titles to get reads/views, or you have really lost your grasp on the content you write about.
    GdemamiTheScavengerYashaX
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Bethesda is known for failures and even their flagship games were basically fails until modders saved them from themselves. This looks to be no different, other than it is, and its going to be even worse. Mostly because there will be no mods for it and the fact they are not addressing the most talked about negatives people have about the game.

The whole push to talk, one of the most simplistic and fundamental aspects of the new generation of multi player games is not going to happen. They give some bullshit comment about not wanting to ruin immersion or some nonsense by allowing people NOT to have everything they say (whether they want it to be broadcast or not) put into voice chat.

That is just one of the issues they are glossing over. Bethesda has always release d bugfest games and this one might be the worst. Again because this is technically the first multiplayer online game Bethesda itself has put out. But in reality a company like them should have more brains. But it likes they dont even look at other games (successes or failures) or listen to people whom they claim they want feedback from.

Which goes to show the whole idea of 'beta' these days especially OPEN beta isnt an actual beta but what these people think is some free preview of their 'awesome' game. Something Bethesda grossly overestimates with this trash.

Its so bad its almost like theyre doing it on purpose and that its a joke and that whatever releases officially is going to be a completely different game. While some people might want that to happen it might be a stretch.

The best thing about it all is no matter what this is its still a  one off and that Fall Out 5 is getting done so regardless of whatever this is it isnt anything necessary to worry about. If it wasnt Bethesda I would say it was a simple cash grab trash release. But that is really what its looking like.
    Gdemami
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Blueliner said:
    Iselin said:

Especially when it makes no difference other than perhaps some misguided sense that it's better to call them that for "reasons". Blizzard just did the exact same thing with Diablo Eternal.

FO76 is a multiplayer survival game. WTF is wrong with just calling it that? You can still cover it and sing its praises if that's what you want to do. All you accomplish by calling it an MMO is to confuse the issue and derail the discussion into the usual "it's an MMO", "No it's not" debate. Maybe that debate and its larger number of clicks is the "reason" this time.

As to why Bliz did it. I have no idea unless their market research tells them calling things MMOs is cool once again. It wasn't that long ago that developers were falling all over themselves trying to avoid the stigma and expectations those 3 letters generate.
    Developers are calling their games MMOs because , I think, they are realizing that people are wanting a real MMO. However the people bankrolling these games are to cheap to finance a real MMO and rather just pass off these cheap to make MMO-Light knockoffs as the real thing.
    The devs are not calling 76 an MMO. If I remember right they even did a twitter comment about it not being one.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I don't mind the number of players. Like Kano said, this looks like a multiplayer mod for FO4. Not enough game to justify $60. I wouldn't mind if the launch price was cut in half, or even $40. This will be a pick up on sale for me, if it's still alive in a couple of years.
    With GCU Bestbuy had it for 20% off and $10 in points. 
    [Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I have played in the beta on both PC and XBox. All in all, I find the game enjoyable. There are aspects I don't care for but we'll see if some of them are changed.

I would say I am amazed at the amount of toxic feedback to this article but I'm not anymore. Don't want to play the game? Don't play it.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    I think this game was pretty meh when I played it. The world just felt shallow and pointless due to the severe lack of interesting story bits. I may just have not played far enough, but if the game doesn't grab me that quickly, it is not my fault! I didn't like not having a real VATs system, the game needs tons of optimization, and being unable to turn off motion blur and screen distortion is lame as well.

I also think the whole PvP system is unnecessarily complex and only really creates an environment where PvPers can't enjoy themselves, PvErs are left confused by people chasing them around poking them, and griefers still have plenty of fun to be had by just following people around poking them. They should just have PvP and PvE servers.
    [Deleted User]
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I would have loved to play the beta but Bethesda knows if they made it an open beta they would not have caught a lot of suckers and there are enough people out there that are satisfied with average crap games to make the gaming companies money so quality of gaming is out of the window its just going to keep getting worse and worse we are in the dumbing down of society you can see it in everything.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    So you admit your title is click-bait or something? Seems like you know its not an MMO... You think its okay to call things an MMO when they aren't just for views? Gonna turn into Buzzfeed or something?
    TheScavengerYashaX
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I have this feeling Bill threw a live grenade into a crowded room just to see the reaction.
    maskedweasel[Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaXRobsolf[Deleted User]Panther2103JeffSpicoli
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Bill Murphy WTF ??  This is only an another replica of Fallout 4, nothing else. An MMO..Sandbox really?  At that point we can say that Witcher 3 is an action fighting game…  Come on dude, you've dropped the ball on that one.
    [Deleted User]YashaX

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Albatroes said:
    I have this feeling Bill threw a live grenade into a crowded room just to see the reaction.
    He rubbed his hands together and cackled like an evil genius right before submitting this article.
    [Deleted User]YashaXRobsolf[Deleted User]Phry
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited November 2018
    The most hypocritical part of it all is people say MMOs are where you play with 1000s of players...

but...

then move the goal post back and say MMOs with less than 20 people online are still MMOs because there is the "potential" for 1000s (then at that point any game would fit the "potential" part lol.) But fallout 76 still has more people on at a time then many smaller MMOs do lol
    mmolouYashaXalkarionlogPanther2103

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    The most hypocritical part of it all is people say MMOs are where you play with 1000s of players...

but...

then move the goal post back and say MMOs with less than 20 people online are still MMOs because there is the "potential" for 1000s (then at that point any game would fit the "potential" part lol.) But fallout 76 still has more people on at a time then many smaller MMOs do lol
    That's not really hypocrisy mate. Capacity and success are two different factors to measure. 
    PhryMadFrenchieMendelYashaXPanther2103
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

but...

That's not really hypocrisy mate. Capacity and success are two different factors to measure. 
    True, if a game does not have the capability of handling hundreds of players at the very least then it isn't Massively Multiplayer, just regular Multiplayer, at the same time a game that is capable of handling hundreds if not thousands of players but only has a dozen or so players does not cease being a Massively Multiplayer game on that basis, the capability is there even if the players are not. It is something that actually happens quite a bit in region locked MMO's where during off peak hours when players are either sleeping or at work, there are far fewer people logged in than during peak hours in the evening.
    As a quick rule of thumb, if a game has 10's of players then its Multiplayer and if it has 100's of players its probably a Massively Multiplayer.
    You can't have Massively Multiplayer without having 100's of players at the very least, its a basic requirement. :/
    ConstantineMerus
  • CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I will not be playing this "MMO".
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    I will not be playing this "MMO".
    Welcome to the boards!

A pithy first post at that. :)
    ConstantineMerus
  • DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Fallout 76 the mmo i was paid to advertise - Better name for your article !
    [Deleted User]Blueliner
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    It's definitely not lmao. Still gonna play it though.
  • ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118
    That saying a lot about current MMORPG states. By all standard of gaming this game is obviously bad but still the most fun mmorpg lite experience to be had. Sad year to come
  • sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    Doesnt matter if this game can host 2 people or 200.
    In current beta state the game is riddled with bugs, bland gameplay , lack of challenge and meaninful npc.
    Till today modders saved all Fallout games .  You will be heavily disappointed 76 does not have mod support due to online element.

maskedweasel
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I have been considering replaying the Fallout games and when I had a look at the mods and the number of modding videos it is extremely obvious why this franchise did so well. It's the modders and 76 will not have that. It will be fraction of what a modded game would be like and it will show its flaws very quickly and the fact that there will be no modders to help this game will ultimately drive away the fans.
    Asm0deus

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    sassoonss said:
    Doesnt matter if this game can host 2 people or 200.
    In current beta state the game is riddled with bugs, bland gameplay , lack of challenge and meaninful npc.
    Till today modders saved all Fallout games .  You will be heavily disappointed 76 does not have mod support due to online element.

You've obviously been playing a different version of FO76 than me, because it isn't riddled with bugs, and the gameplay isn't bland... and as for challenge LOL it's way more challenging than most games I've played on the market lately. 

The challenge has to do with the leveling disparities as you progress through areas, as well as enemies that people may not be familiar with.   I'm around level 20 now, and I was traveling through an area with level 16 mobs.. but barring my way across a gorge that I needed to get through was a Snallygaster, level 30, hidden within other roving enemies that I was slowing wading through.  As a long range sniper, going slow and taking out enemies would generally feel less challenging,  but if you've never fought a Snallygaster, you're in for a surprise.  

They do these things often, where you have tough enemies in their own right, but then they pump the difficulty by throwing in high level enemies in with the low.  I've also had puzzle missions where I've been required to find things by actually reading text,  or I've had to complete objectives in time frames that required near perfect execution to achieve.  Things you rarely if ever see in online games. 

People can say what they will about FO76, apart from the bugs on the PC version, which are valid criticism, most of the hostility towards the game seems to be that people dislike change, and plan to resist it.  

Through and through FO76 is a fallout game in every facet.  I'm excited to be able to finally get in for good this week.

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    You forgot to add the "sponsored" tag because it's obvious you're lying through your teeth.

But of course, i forget, gaming journalism here doesn't do that, isn't that right?
    maskedweasel