Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dreadnought Review - A Welcome Break from 'Real World' Ship Battlers - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageDreadnought Review - A Welcome Break from 'Real World' Ship Battlers - MMORPG.com

Games like World of Tanks, Star Conflict, and War Thunder are out there with bigger crowds of people to play with. Sometimes that is what drives people to or from a game. Dreadnought does bring its own features to the ship battle game type though.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Wow this game still exists? Knew it was a thing years ago but it's been so quiet for years that I thought it was dead.
    WhiskeydustNanbino
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    "It's a welcome break"

*mentions the setup for P2W and how it forces you to get Premium to level in any normal capacity*

Hmm. Doesn't sound like a welcome break to me, it sounds like the same old shit games like World of tanks/warships/dildos does, but with even less polish and in space.
    ananithandheldsakernecrolockSamhaelNanbinomeonthissite
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Cons

Pay to win set up

----------------
    Lost me right there...
    sakernecrolockNanbinoLeiHngWeiGdemami
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    How does this get an 8? This game is soulless as fuck.
    [Deleted User]Nanbinolecram64
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Score 8 **
    It has to be a Pay to win score. So I give a 3 to MMORPG.

• Tom272Tom272 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Man, im so sad over this. I tried the game, and it was "fine", but Fractured space which is beeing shutdown was so much better..
    Id never want any studio to drop any project but in this case the better one got the short end of the stick. :/
    Keldor837
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Pay 2 Progress is not Pay 2 Win.
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    How did this article get on main page?
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    I am sorry, but this review is really badly written.

For a start, look at your pros and cons section, now look at your review, how much time do you spend actually talking about the pro's and cons.

Its like you wanted to write a basic introduction to the progression system, you did not talk about the "Pay to win" aspect at all, you barely touched on the actual feel of combat, how do the ships feel, is there noticeable differences between the ship classes? What are the controls like, how hard is it to get a kill, how long can a new player expect to "Grind" for the big ships, how does the matchmaking system work? Can a team be entirely composed of Dreadnaughts if so is this viable?

What difference do premium ships make, how do I obtain "Hero" Ships.

The sentence structure is also very off-putting, now I do not want to come across as just bashing for hte sake of it, if your dream is to be a videogame "journalist" though you are going to have to go back to the drawing board on how you write and present information.

The review does not talk about the gameplay or business model or any of the information that would actually matter to some one playing the game, and reads like a poorly translated tutorial.

Find some one to be your editor, and good luck with your future efforts.

Keldor837
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    More proof that game publications are still being affected by the true enemy of games, shareholders. If any any game is free to play but requires real money to win it is quite simply THE ENEMY OF ALL GAME DEVs AND ALL PLAYERS! It does not matter what format pay to win exists in the game from requiring building blocks of progression, to buying gear with in game currency that can be purchased with real money (GW2), to buying resource building land (Archeage), to outright buying gear directly (too many to count)! Pay to win is pay to win because it allows real money into the game to offcenter the competitions!

Asch126 said:

"It's a welcome break"

*mentions the setup for P2W and how it forces you to get Premium to level in any normal capacity*

Hmm. Doesn't sound like a welcome break to me, it sounds like the same old shit games like World of tanks/warships/dildos does, but with even less polish and in space.

Gdemami
  • KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159
    This game isn't even remotely pay-to-win.

There are hero ships you can buy for money which have all their slots filled and are generally okay, but you can't adjust the loadout (which is HUGELY important), and they basically never use the most meta-friendly loadout possible for a given role. They're usually very hybrid-y, which means they're solid all-rounders but fail to cover a few specific bases that are essential to the class.

Yes, having Elite status is obviously the way the game is intended to be played, and that's how you actually level up. I'm fine with that, since I really enjoy Dreadnought's gameplay and have spent many, many hours getting good at it. The game offers Elite status very cheap for new signups, and frankly it's not expensive to keep Elite up for thirty days' worth of play. Further, there are sources of cash-shop coin in-game which are enough to keep Elite afloat for a dog's age just on gameplay alone.

Their pay system is a little silly - it's not pay-to-win, it's pay-to-turn-ship-XP-into-everywhere-XP. This does not win you any games; not even close. Going up to new tiers of ship does not make you substantially more powerful; you can win games with small numbers as long as you do your job and operate within your role, taking care to maintain ranges and utilize all your modules and your energy reroute system (which is -excellent-, by the way).

Dreadnought is a fucking GREAT game. It's free to play, allows you to maintain Elite on short money for a long period of time, and once you're out of the period where you get lots of GP for missions, you're deep enough in the game that it's perfectly reasonable to toss them ten bucks for thirty days' playtime.

Someone above says it's soulless, and I just don't see that at all. Big stately ships slugging it out? God -damn- it feels good.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    I'm not entirely sure how it's Pay to win!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

How does this get an 8? This game is soulless as fuck.

Well this is not a random review yo u can bet on that so this site typically gives over inflated scores to support their business partners.
    You think if this site was HONEST about anything it does they would receive free games,free hardware to review?if they came out and said CRAP game,they are not getting any business with anyone afterwards.
    So it is a business filled with deception and dishonesty,oh and we should mention the reviewers are paid and also know WHY they are reviewing said games.

Except one big problem,Angry Joe plays these game and does videos and streams to PROVE it and even though he is paid.sponsored he usually speaks his honest thoughts and that is why he is typically more respected than most.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.