Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Classic WOW is a huge success how does that effect Retail and future expansions ?

13»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    For some who were there in 2004 it will be a novelty nostalgia trip and will play it a bit... that's me. For those who weren't there they may learn a thing or two about why MMOs have evolved the way they have. But for the majority who play on the current unofficial WOW classic servers it will just be $15 a month and they will quickly go back to their free servers.

"Huge success" is a pipe dream IMO.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Iselin said:
    For some who were there in 2004 it will be a novelty nostalgia trip and will play it a bit... that's me. For those who weren't there they may learn a thing or two about why MMOs have evolved the way they have. But for the majority who play on the current unofficial WOW classic servers it will just be $15 a month and they will quickly go back to their free servers.

I don't mean to sound arrogant or financially privileged ( ha i just created a new PC term) But is a 15 dollar sub really that big of a deal to adults ? I say Adults because the only scenario i could see 15 dollars being a deal breaker would be a college student paying his own way or a child using mommy & daddys money . I'm sorry but i can't see why anyone would run to a private server to save 15 bucks when offcial servers provide the security that you time and progress wont be wiped out by a lawsuit or cease and desist demand against said server. You get the the idea...
    [Deleted User]Quizzical
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    thunderC said:
    Iselin said:

I don't mean to sound arrogant or financially privileged ( ha i just created a new PC term) But is a 15 dollar sub really that big of a deal to adults ? I say Adults because the only scenario i could see 15 dollars being a deal breaker would be a college student paying his own way or a child using mommy & daddys money . I'm sorry but i can't see why anyone would run to a private server to save 15 bucks when offcial servers provide the security that you time and progress wont be wiped out by a lawsuit or cease and desist demand against said server. You get the the idea...
    It has nothing to do with affording it and everything to do with those who have been getting it for free being used to the free ride. I mean... I don't know the crowd you refer to as the "overwhelming amount of people are playing Classic over Retail" but you seem to be assuming they are adults willing to sub. Are they" Or is a big part of that overwhelming crowd's reason for being there the fact that it's free? I'm thinking it's the second reason but I guess time will tell.
    Soki123
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Elidien said:
    I think it will be similar to classic servers on any game that does them. 

Hugely, bigly, majorly popular at launch. Queues, new servers, login frustration for a week or so.

Then the memories of why classic was frustrating and different will set in. People's love of nostalgia will wane and the blinder will come off - they will see how the game improved over time (not as a whole but quality of life improvements) and will either go back to their regular servers or quit.

Seen it before, expect it again.
    where have you seen that? could you please elaborate?
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    What if it's a huge success? hmm, I think there was a poll at around the same time the petition was delivered to Blizzard with what classic fans would want, and the majority had voted for new content /lore without disturbing the gameplay balance of Classic.

So WoW 2 might actually at some point be Classic WoW with adjusted content from future expansions. That would be grand!
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Galadourn said:

So WoW 2 might actually at some point be Classic WoW with adjusted content from future expansions. That would be grand!
    No my friend that would be AWESOME and kind of where i was going with this thread when i created it .
    Galadourn
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

thunderC said:
    Galadourn said:

No my friend that would be AWESOME and kind of where i was going with this thread when i created it .
    ... and for some strange reason, I think there's a good chance of this happening.
    JeffSpicoli
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Iselin said:

Can it make profit in millions per month over a long period of time?

I think it could

What is a Huge success?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    sipu said:
    Elidien said:
    I think it will be similar to classic servers on any game that does them. 

Hugely, bigly, majorly popular at launch. Queues, new servers, login frustration for a week or so.

Then the memories of why classic was frustrating and different will set in. People's love of nostalgia will wane and the blinder will come off - they will see how the game improved over time (not as a whole but quality of life improvements) and will either go back to their regular servers or quit.

Seen it before, expect it again.
    where have you seen that? could you please elaborate?
    Prit near in every "classic"/ progressive or freeshard launched to date.

Glad to see you finally got off that desert island though.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    It will be huge, along with live. Go play your shit games and complain away, lol.
    Scorchien
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     I think it will do fine for Blizz , of course initial start up will be very high , but then settle into good Pop , Ironically Classic Wow will breathe fresh life into Wow ..
    Kyleran[Deleted User]laserit
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is not weather it is a huge success,it is a matter of how much.The game is already made,this is costing Blizzard so little they will profit huge from doing almost nothing.How long the parade lasts is more in line with the term success because these ideas have been tried before and don't last long.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    thunderC said:
    Galadourn said:

A lot of people who say that they want Vanilla WoW really want some things as they were in Vanilla and some things as they are now, or at least at some later point in time that is not Vanilla.  No one is clamoring for Vanilla's server instability, for example.

The problem is that different people want different combinations of things, and it's not possible to do something that makes them all happy.  If you add some newer stuff that some people want in their Classic WoW, others will complain that they're bringing in the stuff that ruined WoW in the first place and it's not Classic WoW anymore.  Which particular group of people will have that complaint depends on the particular features that are imported.  But the only way to avoid it entirely is to leave the code base as it was in Vanilla and not update anything, and people will complain about that, too.

It's the classic problem of, "why don't the game developers just do what they players want?"  Because different players want different things.  You can't please them all.
    bliss14AlBQuirky
    We will be able to see when Classic releases in summer 2019 just how many of the "classic" fans are 100% purists and how many are simply WoW players that didn't like the dumbing down of the game with each expansion, not being dogmatically opposed to meaningful improvements/ changes.
    The good thing is, Blizzard will also see this, and plan the future of Classic accordingly. I think purists are a minority in the Classic fanbase.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2018
    Galadourn said:
    We will be able to see when Classic releases in summer 2019 just how many of the "classic" fans are 100% purists and how many are simply WoW players that didn't like the dumbing down of the game with each expansion, not being dogmatically opposed to meaningful improvements/ changes.
    The good thing is, Blizzard will also see this, and plan the future of Classic accordingly. I think purists are a minority in the Classic fanbase.
    I think they're a loud minority.  I don't want sweeping mechanical changes..  But if under-utulized specs could become more accepted at endgame with a few numbers tweaks, I think it'd be akin to shoving your head in the sand to not look into tweaking it.

Classic's pros lay in its design philosophy, not the code itself.  Keeping the design philosophy and mechanics pure doesn't mean copy paste the code so that everything, including bugged or useless specs, remain.
    laserit

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    edited November 2018
    thunderC said:
     Lets just say Classic is a huge success, I'm not talking about initial success, we know thats a given. I am talking what if 9 -12 months after Classic launches a overwhelming amount of people are playing Classic over Retail. Blizzard Subs are going up in droves and WOW is seeing growth that it hasn't seen in years.

Hypothetically  if this was to happen do you think Blizzard begins to rethink the future direction of WOW and makes retail more classic like ? Does Blizzard build upon Classic and if so in what way ? Or does Blizzard do what Blizzard does best and just plow straight ahead with their own plan giving us more of the same  ?
    For me it would be cool if they decided to expand the game with classic in mind..like only 40 man raids..all new xp are slow and grindy and all the good stuff

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• ImprostorImprostor Member UncommonPosts: 7
    The best possible effect imho would be them learning, how important some of the aspect in Vanilla were to Social interaction and player perception of the world.

Even Ian directly said on stage during Blizzcon, as example, 1 hour delay on mails to guildies have cascading effect on social interaction.

I doubt Vanilla will draw huge numbers in for longer period. But, it may still show that some systems and ideas should not be killed by "QoL" improvements.
    Galadourn said:
    I think they're a loud minority.  I don't want sweeping mechanical changes..  But if under-utulized specs could become more accepted at endgame with a few numbers tweaks, I think it'd be akin to shoving your head in the sand to not look into tweaking it.

Classic's pros lay in its design philosophy, not the code itself.  Keeping the design philosophy and mechanics pure doesn't mean copy paste the code so that everything, including bugged or useless specs, remain.
    There was a loud minority crying "RUINED" with every new patch in Vanilla WoW, iirc. That said, if Blizzard chooses to "update" Classic, that would be done on the basis of the three principles they mentioned: authentic experience, integrity of social dynamics, and not messing with the 1.12 database.

Now of course, there can't be "authentic experience" when introducing new content, unless.... it's not new.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2018
    thunderC said:
    Iselin said:

For some it could be.

Then there are those who might play several games in a month - $15 per game could be closer to $100 per month.

Same deal with TV services say - lots of people were expressing annoyance that they might have to pay Disney for Disney content or CBS for CBS content etc. which might not be on Netflix / Amazon / Hulu.

For others - including people who can afford to pay - it could be a question of "value" - is subscribing to Netflix or XBox Live etc. better value; or "worth" which applies to lots of products "Heh its only 10 cents a gallon more from that place why do you go to the cheaper one?" And for some its simply the fact that they get "annoyed" if they believe they are being "over-charged" / "ripped off". Whatever term you want to use. Especially if Blizzard don't release any content patches for a year or more.

You get the idea ...
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2018
    Torval said:
    Will it be only subscription on this server with no token/gold RMT or cash shop? Or will there be a cash shop or do we know yet? I haven't had time to keep up on the details sorry.
    I haven't read anything about WoW tokens or cash shop mounts.  Seeing as those things would substantially change the outlook most have about whether this is a truly "classic" experience, I can't see Blizzard adding them.

Oh, wait, you mean post Diablo: Immortal announcement Blizzard.  Forget what I said above.  It's a toss up.