Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online Murkmire DLC Impressions - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online Murkmire DLC Impressions - MMORPG.com

When ESO released its latest DLC: Murkmire however, I was eager pick up my sword and board and dive into this latest offering. So after a week or so of bog hopping (totally a thing) and adventuring my way through ESO’s latest zone, Murkmire, I’ meager to share my thoughts and impressions. So grab that coffee, kick back and enjoy this impressions piece of Elder Scrolls Online: Murkmire.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

NorseGod

Comments

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    That screenshot of the house inspired me to purchase this DLC...inspirational photography...
    SBFord
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Great IP, boring ass game.
    Alomar

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I really enjoy all ESO has to offer. But like every MMO, it needs to come out with new features to make the game feel revitalized, not just new content that's similar to the other content. It's a painful place to be, because an MMO needs both "the usual" content and new systems/features to play with. ESO's next chapter needs to be something unique.
    eddieg50NorseGod[Deleted User]TacticalZombehIselinOctagon7711

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I really enjoy all ESO has to offer. But like every MMO, it needs to come out with new features to make the game feel revitalized, not just new content that's similar to the other content. It's a painful place to be, because an MMO needs both "the usual" content and new systems/features to play with. ESO's next chapter needs to be something unique.
    What did you have in mind?

I for one, would like to see achievements carry over to alts. But, I generally agree with the consensus of what others come up with as long as it doesn't break canon and immersion.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Great IP, boring ass game.
    That's what pretty much all the objective reviewers said on release, and they haven't really done anything to fix that.

They just released as much DLC as possible to rake in as much cash as possible.

NorseGod said:

I for one, would like to see achievements carry over to alts. But, I generally agree with the consensus of what others come up with as long as it doesn't break canon and immersion.
    It's 2018.  Immersion is dead.  We all know the difference between a game and real life, at this point.  It's nearly impossible for a game to "immerse" me.

Maybe VR will change that.  But nothing on a flat display can really do that, especially when you're constantly reminded by the people in game; 99.9% of which aren't even trying to pretend to be role playing :-P
    Iselin

OG_Zorvan said:

Problem is that's the last of the pre-existing content from the original dev team, only partially finished by the original dev team meaning the current team actually had to do some work themselves, and it shows. The Murkmire patch managed to break things in multiple areas of the game, from simple bugs like benches in Summerset suddenly all facing the wrong way to some trials and dungeons having broken scripts and missing textures. The Murkmire dlc itself is a lackluster affair having absolutely nothing in it you'll remember a month from now. There's a reason they're giving it away for free.

The Original dev team churned out one of the most boring MMORPGs of the last 2 decades. I don't think their work is really bearing any standards, frankly.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Darksworm said:

NorseGod said:

It's 2018.  Immersion is dead.  We all know the difference between a game and real life, at this point.  It's nearly impossible for a game to "immerse" me.

Maybe VR will change that.  But nothing on a flat display can really do that, especially when you're constantly reminded by the people in game; 99.9% of which aren't even trying to pretend to be role playing :-P
    True.

However, I wouldn't like cars as mounts in game. Or VOIP where you can hear nerds talking about dumb IRL stuff near by.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well if they think that new idea of a leader board is going to entice me,no way in hell.That is one idea i detest in these games,i don't want to see ANY bragging platforms.

The other idea is good,been there done that though,this little game i often mention has already done most content other games just now trying.
    None the less fighting off hordes with friends sounds fun for a bit,hence why they likely tossed in the leader board crap to keep players motivated to keep playing.In a way it is like trying to force everyone into instances,to that i say no thanks.
    You see that same little game i often mention did similar content in the open world.
    As to the looks of the zones,well i see a lot of typical lazy work,like a lot of dead buildings,easy way to give a surface paint job with no real effort.
    Iselin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:
    Well if they think that new idea of a leader board is going to entice me,no way in hell.That is one idea i detest in these games,i don't want to see ANY bragging platforms.

For once I agree with you and I'm also not a fan of the gamification of RPGs with leader boards. But there's nothing new about this in ESO. They've been doing it with PvP campaigns, 12 man trials, 4-man and solo arenas since day one.

The only new thing here is that Murkmire adds another 4-man arena.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm wondering just how much impact their new secret MMO project is having on ESO and if their team is big and capable enough to handle both. As someone who plays this daily and watches what they're doing carefully, there are a lot of things about ESO development recently that scream MMO development assigned to the "B team" and put on the back burner.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm slowly checking off the daily rewards gifts until I get Murkmire for free in a few weeks. Plus they have the free premium status coming up on the 15th that allows access to play the DLCs I don't have, for free anyways for about a week.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    NorseGod said:
    Darksworm said:

NorseGod said:

True.

However, I wouldn't like cars as mounts in game. Or VOIP where you can hear nerds talking about dumb IRL stuff near by.
    You want to role play, but not with nerds?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Darksworm said:

NorseGod said:

Immersion requires imagination.
    Iselin

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee