Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hrothi armour - genius or laziness

AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29239/Tribal-Armor-Concept-Hrothic-Light-and-Medium-Armor

OK so many people on the official forums bootlicking so I need honest opinions.

Who thinks (like 90% of Coe forums) that this is two great sets of armour.
Or
The Devs are lazy, reusing same model with different textures.

Gdemami

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    All devs re-texture and use the same models, so it's not really that big of a deal, in reality.  It's just weird that the way they worded it as if it were two completely different sculpts.

There's nothing wrong with reusing assets.  All games do it... but... generally you don't try and pitch the same asset as two separate things in the exact same post.  Seriously, what the heck?

Geez, they didn't even bother to change the caption on the pictures.  Both pictures are subtitled "light armor".  That's some sloppy stuff.

To be fair, the "medium" version does add shin-guards, so it's not 100% the same.

It does feel a bit lazy that they didn't at least alter the helmet a little or something, though, to give it a slightly different appearance.  But, they have so many more important things to focus on, given how far they have to go, that it's the least of concerns.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Oh I agree in reusing assets.

It's that they are pitching the same armour as light and medium by adjusting the textures and adding a minimal amount to it. 

Just feels lazy. 

The comparison I found with that would be

Leather and studded leather. 
    Both light armour but one offers slightly more protection. 
    Gdemami
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    It seems more to me that they are both medium or heavy armor sets, but one is higher level or more advanced than the other. I guess that puts my in the 'lazy' camp.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I'll agree the two armor sets look almost identical especially in the miniature view my phone displays them at, same for the Dras sets linked in the one helpful, but snarky reply from Markov.

Recommend you put his kingdom on the list for immediate destruction if game ever launches, I'll be happy to assist. 

The final link in in his post was most useful where Snipehunter explains their baseline armor crafting and design philosophy under Waerd heavy armor.

This is only an excerpt; recommend reading the entire post for proper context.

"They often build on one another so that a tribe's medium armor is like its light armor, but embellished to reinforce it for heavier duty. In our crafting system, this is literally how such armor is made. In the case of the Waerd for example, you might have a recipe for Waerdic chainmail, which you could use, as written, to produce their medium armor. But the same recipe can, by swapping out equivalent components, be used to create something more like the heavy armor concept you see here."

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29072/tribal-armor-concepts-waerd-heavy-armor#post317555

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    It seems more to me that they are both medium or heavy armor sets, but one is higher level or more advanced than the other. I guess that puts my in the 'lazy' camp.
    Taking their crafting and classless design philosophy into consideration it makes sense how the armor appears between tiers.

Does it save them time? I am sure it does, but this isn't a bad thing for several reasons. 

With limited resources saving on art asset creation and upkeep is a benefit. It standardizes how crafting works regardless of race, and hopefully it will improve performance from having to render fewer unique elements, but not really sure how that works.

I realize perhaps it appears the devs are being lazy, but I think gamers too often jump to a negative motivation when the real answer might be based on practical reasoning.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ugly, and ugly with slightly different colours. Everquest 2 called and wants its armour back....

What really boggles my mind is the reactions on the forums, how this can excite anyone is beyond me.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited November 2018
    um, I like it. It certainly blows most "fantasy" crap out of the water as it has a nod towards realism.

I should add that the difference between light and medium is negligible so not sure why the are doing that. Maybe what Kyleran said.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    I think... on the scale of things wrong with this game’s development this is really far down the list.   I mean, they reportedly had a developer walk out during the map production...

That said, both pictures are clearly labeled Light Armor so maybe even the devs are confused?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    My issue is, it looks like an embellished light armour, I'm calling it lazy because for showcasing, imho, they should have shown something with more variety.

For example, 
    A leather tunic - light
    A leather tunic with chain mail vest - medium.

Just a bit of variety tbh. 

Slapshot1188 said:
    I think... on the scale of things wrong with this game’s development this is really far down the list.   I mean, they reportedly had a developer walk out during the map production...

That said, both pictures are clearly labeled Light Armor so maybe even the devs are confused?
    I agree 100% I'm still hopeful but not holding my breath anymore 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I know nothing about this team but let’s ask a couple questions. What do you consider a dev? A designer? And did either if them actually write the post or put together the screen shots?

Adding studs and a few minor components to a light armor to make it a medium armor is fine, but the person to put this presentation together probably didn’t know wtf they were talking about.  
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited November 2018
    I know nothing about this team but let’s ask a couple questions. What do you consider a dev? A designer? And did either if them actually write the post or put together the screen shots?

Adding studs and a few minor components to a light armor to make it a medium armor is fine, but the person to put this presentation together probably didn’t know wtf they were talking about.  
    The person who made the post is the "Lead Designer" so take from that what you will.
    AnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

The person who made the post is the "Lead Designer" so take from that what you will.
    My bad I meant artist. Even a designer may not know what a “sculpt” is. Maybe this persons knows it all and just didn’t care, who knows. I do think that particular argument is silly.