Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDOSer caught and will be severely punished

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
https://massivelyop.com/2018/11/08/another-e-thug-responsible-for-ddosing-soe-years-back-is-brought-to-justice/

All I can say is "ABOUT TIME"
These slugs should all be publicly tarred and feathered.  It's fine not to like a game, but if you DDOS or hack then you deserve to go to jail.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

DakeruQuizzicalrojoArcueidIlayaInteritus

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Well, he should at least be sent to his room without tv or dessert.
    [Deleted User]CitizenX007
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    He should have to write "I will not commit DDOS attacks" a hundred zillion times.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Amathe said:
    He should have to write "I will not commit DDOS attacks" a hundred zillion times.
    Sure.. as long as he also has electrodes hooked up to his nuts that turn on every time someone visits the site he DDOSed.
    Sovrath

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Couldn't belonging to a hacking group be subject to prosecution under the US RICO laws?  These groups do nothing positive for society.

Slapshot1188

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Amathe said:
    He will probably program a script to do it lol...
    [Deleted User]Amathe
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I don't see why this needs jail time. Couldn't they focus on the election hacking and not some random kid (at the time)? What a waste of resources and time that can be spent on stuff that really matters to 99% of the people in the world
    BananableSBFordKyleransacredcow4FlyByKnight

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I don't see why this needs jail time. Couldn't they focus on the election hacking and not some random kid (at the time)? What a waste of resources and time that can be spent on stuff that really matters to 99% of the people in the world
    I really wish this country had more than one court and investigative unit...
    Slapshot1188AethaerynKyleranGrunty
    frostymug said:
    They do. But they are too spread out with too many investigations. If they focused at least 99% and left 1% to other stuff, we would have much better results with finding out the hacks, bribes, corruption, money laundering etc and that would help lead to impeachment.

Hence why they need to take ALL resources and put that to stuff that actually matters to people. Some random kid (again at time, now an adult) being an annoyance? THAT is a waste of resources. At most, a tiny fraction of resources could have gone to it...not some many year long investigation that should long been abandoned for more important things.

I don't get why they spent so many years, time and money to screw some kid(s) that probably need mental treatment and medication, therapy and what not...not jail time. What a waste of resources and time and the only reason it was done was to screw people over instead of getting them help.

And you know why they do that? In the US every prisoner makes the prisons tons of money. So they want as many people in prison as possible, instead of helping the people actually get better with therapy/medication etc, they send them to jail cause it earns them a ton of money.

edited November 2018
    Totally disagree.  This turd not only cost a company 6 figures but also deprived tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people of the ability to access the site.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Its nothing 10 months in the GP wont fix
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    I hope this becomes a lesson to any other would-be e-thug, that there can and will be real-world punishments for their antics, I would love to see this kind of treatment done to people that make game hack programs as well, just to cull the heard.

In the end, if people feel that they won't get caught because they are 'small fries" or that what they are doing is harmless when it really is not, it gives them the illusion that they can do whatever they want with impunity, an illusion that should and needs to be shattered very harshly.
    Slapshot1188
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited November 2018
    Totally disagree.  This turd not only cost a company 6 figures but also deprived then if not hundreds of thousands of people of the ability to access the site.

Which doesn't matter to the vast majority of people, compared to hacks, corruption etc.

On top of that, the investigators literally HUNTED down a bunch of kids.

Kids. 

Hunted.

They literally hunted kids.

Just to throw them in jail instead of get them therapy and help.

That should be a criminal offense, and the investigators should instead get a taste of their own medicine and thrown in jail for wanting to screw a bunch of kids lives forever. They don't even want the kids (who are now adults, but at the time they were kids) to get help, just lock them up in jail.
    AlmostLancelotSlapshot1188[Deleted User]KyleranLokero

frostymug said:
    They do. But they are too spread out with too many investigations. If they focused at least 99% and left 1% to other stuff, we would have much better results with finding out the hacks, bribes, corruption, money laundering etc and that would help lead to impeachment.

Hence why they need to take ALL resources and put that to stuff that actually matters to people. Some random kid (again at time, now an adult) being an annoyance? THAT is a waste of resources. At most, a tiny fraction of resources could have gone to it...not some many year long investigation that should long been abandoned for more important things.

I don't get why they spent so many years, time and money to screw some kid(s) that probably need mental treatment and medication, therapy and what not...not jail time. What a waste of resources and time and the only reason it was done was to screw people over instead of getting them help.

And you know why they do that? In the US every prisoner makes the prisons tons of money. So they want as many people in prison as possible, instead of helping the people actually get better with therapy/medication etc, they send them to jail cause it earns them a ton of money.
    Luckily nobody is forced to live in the USA!

Posts like this just really make me cry for what the world has become but anyhow... Seriously. "the only reason this was done was to screw people over".  WHAT THE FUCK?  There are actual laws, and people don't get to just go deny people a service they pay for and cost companies 6 figures. Sorry, no the entire structure of law enforcement should not drop everything they do because some sheep want to believe we should impeach a President. Now that said, this thread is NOT about the President so let's stay focused on the DDOSer and not any political rabbit hole.

Glad they caught the little bastard and I hope he rots for a while AND has to make restitution.

Kyleran

edited November 2018
    frostymug said:

Posts like this just really make me cry for what the world has become but anyhow... Seriously. "the only reason this was done was to screw people over".  WHAT THE FUCK?  There are actual laws, and people don't get to just go deny people a service they pay for and cost companies 6 figures. Sorry, no the entire structure of law enforcement should not drop everything they do because some sheep want to believe we should impeach a President. Now that said, this thread is NOT about the President so let's stay focused on the DDOSer and not any political rabbit hole.

Glad they caught the little bastard and I hope he rots for a while AND has to make restitution.

Doesn't change the fact a bunch of investigators HUNTED ...KIDS...HUNTED KIDS (again who are now adults) with the sole purpose of throwing them in jail, and not even wanting to get them help or therapy or anything.

The US is the only country where they throw so many prisoners in prison, that would instead benefit more to get them help and therapy.

Did you know the vast majority of prisoners come out...to be even WORSE? But only in the US

Other countries they instead for most part help the people get better, have nice prisons and treat them well and actually give them therapy and counselling. And did you also know those countries also have very low crime rates? Not the US which doesn't want to help anyone and just lock them up as the answer.

Slapshot1188KyleranLokero

Personally, I don't think kids should ever be hunted down by anyone. 

I also think criminals would vastly benefit from therapy, medications and actually becoming better people...than just locking them up to become even worse, as prisons tend to breed criminals instead.

These investigators never cared about helping these kids, only about locking them up. And they spend years hunting kids...in any other country the investigators would be jailed for child abuse, or at least fired from their jobs.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]KyleranLokero

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Mendel said:
    Couldn't belonging to a hacking group be subject to prosecution under the US RICO laws?  These groups do nothing positive for society.

Were they trying to extort money, or just cause damage?  If the latter, then that's not racketeering.

Merely belonging to an organization isn't criminal.  RICO laws made it so that you could prosecute leaders of an organization for ordering underlings to commit crimes, but I'd be surprised if hacker groups did that in as organized of a manner as the mafia.
    frostymug said:

What if... it was many years long because there were very few resources going to it?

Letting people commit small crimes and get away free never leads to them committing larger crimes later, right? You're making excuses and projections to try to force your view anyways. Where did it state that the kid had any mental issues? I'm thankful for VA every day for the meds keeping me from running out and committing all the DDOS attacks the voices in my head tell me to. I can't even imagine the PTSD growing up in suburban Utah might entail...

For the uninformed, his group also swatted a guy and leaked a ton of login credentials.

Also, pretty sure U.S. election hacking doesn't matter to 99% of the people in the world either, so why bother with that instead? I'm pretty certain you would be hard pressed to find any single issue that really matters to 99% of the people in the world so, fuck it, get rid of the courts and investigators all together.

Here's a fun list of laws that may apply to DDOS attacks: http://users.atw.hu/denialofservice/ch08lev1sec2.html

Interestingly, there is no specific law regarding leaking credentials. There are, however, many regarding obtaining credentials illicitly.

There's no particular law on swatting either, but fuck him with a rusty rake for that alone.

What is the approved therapy/medication plan for overcoming DDOS desires anyways?

Here's a better article on this misguided child: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18071764/austin-thompson-derptrolling-sony-blizzard-game-ddos-arrest-guilty
    Slapshot1188Ungood

I also think criminals would vastly benefit from therapy, medications and actually becoming better people...than just locking them up to become even worse, as prisons tend to breed criminals instead.

These investigators never cared about helping these kids, only about locking them up. And they spend years hunting kids...in any other country the investigators would be jailed for child abuse, or at least fired from their jobs.
    Good thing I don't live in one of those countries.

And investigator's job is NOT to care about helping the people that commit the crimes.  The investigator's job is to find out who broke the law.  WHich they did successfully.  

Job well done although I wish justice had been swifter.

Ungood

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I think because it sends a message.  It might not change much now but the more they prosecute the more people will be reconsider. .. worked for swatting. . waaaaait.

Honestly I think it is because the justice system considers the violation of a crime for what it is.  it doesn't matter who did it or why UNTIL the case goes to court.  Also. . corporations have weight.
    Ungood

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

. "In any other country"?. . you are aware of the abuses that happen to children in many countries. . often by authorities.  
    Ungood

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

frostymug said:

Doesn't change the fact a bunch of investigators HUNTED ...KIDS...HUNTED KIDS (again who are now adults) with the sole purpose of throwing them in jail, and not even wanting to get them help or therapy or anything.

The US is the only country where they throw so many prisoners in prison, that would instead benefit more to get them help and therapy.

Did you know the vast majority of prisoners come out...to be even WORSE? But only in the US

Other countries they instead for most part help the people get better, have nice prisons and treat them well and actually give them therapy and counselling. And did you also know those countries also have very low crime rates? Not the US which doesn't want to help anyone and just lock them up as the answer.

They didn't hunt kids. They hunted criminals who happened to end up being... 18, which, by the way, is not a kid by legal definitions in this terrible country.
    UngoodInteritus
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Personally, I don't think kids sho8uld ever be hunted down by anyone. 

Time to do some math. Accused is 23 in 2018. In 2013 /2014 he very likely was 18 or 19 when he was launching his attacks.

He was legally an adult when he committed his offenses, so he faces adult penalties,  a point I carefully drove home into all of my children when they came of age.

Never faced any serious issues such as this, but then my children even now in their 30s still know not to test my wrath when it comes to performing activities which harm others.

Ungood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517

Ok lets get a few things clear.

Children that Break Laws are still criminals, being young is not an excuse to break the law, while it can lead to reduced punishment due to being naive' or ignorant, it is not, nor has it ever been, grounds for dismissal of charges, simply because they were not 'legal adults"

In fact, allowing children to commit crimes with zero repercussions is what gives them the illusion that they are above the law and can lead to more aggressive criminal behavior. 

With that said, no, these investigators were not looking to help these children, just like they are not looking to help adults that commit crimes, they were looking to catch criminals, that is their job, that is their goal, and that is what they did. While in prison the criminal, err I mean poor victim, can talk to a social worker to get help, assuming they think they need any.

and Finally.. In Every Country Punishes Children for the Crimes they Commit, there is no country that someone could run to that they would above legal recourse if they committed a crime, simply because they were a Juvenal, and no country in the world today would find fault with what the investigator did, which was peruse a criminal.. which is their job.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Good thing I don't live in one of those countries.

And investigator's job is NOT to care about helping the people that commit the crimes.  The investigator's job is to find out who broke the law.  WHich they did successfully.  

Job well done although I wish justice had been swifter.

To another point, until the perpetrator is tracked down and caught investigators have no idea how old they are.
    UngoodQuizzical

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    The law is the law. And justice for all.
    UngoodCitizenX007