Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortnite: For Better or For Worse - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFortnite: For Better or For Worse - MMORPG.com

The long-standing problem with every game ever made is a little thing called diminishing returns. This issue is especially prevalent in shooters because the players race through the exact same gameplay loop ad nauseam. This is why shooters tend to launch hot and quickly burn through their player base which, in the modern game saturated climate, is more than happy to hop onto the next latest greatest thing.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited November 2018
    "The long-standing problem with every game ever made is a little thing called diminishing returns. This issue is especially prevalent in shooters and Asian MMOs because the players race through the exact same gameplay loop ad nauseam. This is why shooters and Asian MMOs tend to launch hot and quickly burn through their player base which, in the modern game saturated climate, is more than happy to hop onto the next latest greatest thing."

Fixed it for ya !
    [Deleted User]Scotty787RueTheWhirlDavodtheTuttTacticalZombeh
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    erevus said:
    "The long-standing problem with every game ever made is a little thing called diminishing returns. This issue is especially prevalent in shooters and Asian MMOs because the players race through the exact same gameplay loop ad nauseam. This is why shooters and Asian MMOs tend to launch hot and quickly burn through their player base which, in the modern game saturated climate, is more than happy to hop onto the next latest greatest thing."

Fixed it for ya !
    funny enough the Asian mmo is more likely to keep me around then a western mmo, funny how things go huh?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I hope games like this don't shape the future. This is literall a quick fix for the 12 year olds.
    You want to know what is going to change the scence in 2019? Head over to Nerd Slayer on youtube and check out his last video "Death of a Game: Dark Age of Camelot" - Towards the end, he shows a game being closed beta produced right now with features that could change the game (mine craft like world building in RvR setting + other new stuff)
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    I really wish more people talked about, and played, Fortnite's PVE game.
    RueTheWhirlbobbymcswanson[Deleted User]
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

koldmiser said:

I really wish more people talked about, and played, Fortnite's PVE game.

I been grinding it pretty hard....super addicting....wish they had more content and wider variety of enemies though...a never ending zombie rush mode would be groovy too....
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Some games turn me away before I even try them...THis is one of those....It looks like it was made with 12 year old kids in mind.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2018
    I still play UT99 for a reason,best overall game for pvp fps'r.The player base dwindles for one reason,people hate to lose and will eventually go to a new game to try their luck there.
    The way some devs keep people around and imo a bad reason for gaming is they create grind goals ,like ranks or a rating system.
    I don't pay a lot of attention to Fortnite but i have watched it.It is imo a very cheesy game,not something i want to play.
    I like the purest idea of choose a weapon and my wits versus yours.Of course some people have godlike accuracy,you can't beat that which is also why i do not like low ping gaming.I prefer players to play like they have some lag on the internet,reason it it offers a more strategic game than simply aiming first and dead fast.

I have no idea why people think that eye sore/strain of constantly building stairs is fun or offers good game play,to me it looks ridiculous.I see the WHY,they can attract crappy players because those players can dress up in cute pink outfits or just try to look cool.

Vanilla fps'r gaming,yep that si what i want and like,not goofy gimmicks.

As a pro style fps'r i give FN a 2/10.
    OW is closer to the type of design that is more suited to a pro atmosphere but imo UT99 is stil the best followed by Quake perhaps OW or GOW is 3rd.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Nanbino said:
    I hope games like this don't shape the future. This is literall a quick fix for the 12 year olds.

Nothing like lack of perspective to define an opinion.

The real issue is that games like Fortnite are exactly what help to shape and define the near future. The amazing part is that it's not just kids who are playing, (and I work in a construction related field, so pretty far away from video games...). It parents who know their kids play, who picked up the game to play with their kids, and even they think it's fun.

In the past 6 months, I've talked with more people who are not video game fans, who know it because it's become pop culture, and with the money it rakes in, that's exactly what other studio's and other developers want to replicate. It may be a generational fad, but it's rapidly becoming a defining game of this era. 

Expect more of the same, because it's not literally a quick fix for 12 year olds, it's become a hell of a lot more.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Fortnite Battle Royale and plain vanilla FPS? Apples and oranges. Maybe it started out more like an FPS but I think they intended to be distinct from that genre from the beginning; it just took a little while to really take off on a new route.

I hope other games don't try to borrow too much from it -- a lot of things just wouldn't carry over or translate. They'd be getting that "what have you done to our game?" up-in-arms reaction.

I am only a casual Fortnite Battle Royale player, and unorthodox (if not unique) at that, but I've continued to play it longer than some other games I've played, because I'm still finding different approaches to take, different ways to play, and finding surprises -- e.g. there's a speed indicator sign located where a road slopes down to some tunnels (except they're only painted on) and there's an achievement for getting a high enough speed reading on it -- which I serendipitously discovered as I came in for a landing with my parasail!

I enjoy spectating the player who killed me, too -- a couple of times, even though I didn't last as long as I hoped, I got some satisfaction in seeing that the one who took me out went on to be one of the last few or even the winner!