Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last known good in the mmorpg industry

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
For those who think the mmorpg landscape sucks, when, in your opinion, was the last time it didn't suck? What was going on in what (for you) was the golden age of mmorpg gaming just before the sun set? 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

ConstantineMerusGdemamiAlBQuirky

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited November 2018
    It was exciting at the beginning but I wasn't a superfan until EVE. 

I think the last good one is Black Desert although I didn't get into it. Personal last favorite is FFXIV. 

I think MMOs stopped trying to create a virtual world after WoW. And that's not WoW's fault. People are not interested in a virtual world that much unless every aspect of it is gamified, then all those aspects got simplified for marketing reasons, then monetized for financial reasons. So ironically what pushed the genre forward also killed it. For me, of course. 

GdemamiAlBQuirkyBluelinerTuor7
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited November 2018
    Amathe said:
    For those who think the mmorpg landscape sucks, when, in your opinion, was the last time it didn't suck? What was going on in what (for you) was the golden age of mmorpg gaming just before the sun set? 
    It's always suck . In early day , things wasn't so good , and latter all become wow clones
    That's why player keep look for next good one , even gamble with kickstart .
    mmolouGdemamiAlBQuirkyBlueliner
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    When pure P2P was still the norm. Now players prefer to access the games for free just to pay thousands of bucks to improve their characters via P2W microtransactions.
    WellspringAlBQuirkyNilden[Deleted User]craftseekerTuor7
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Fantasy- DAOC until TOA launched
    SciFi - EVE, until Nov 2016 F2P Expansion

Could have been a contender- ArcheAge in Alpha, then...."Trionized" into darkness.

Best Themepark - trick question, there is none.  (OK, WOW, until BC launched, ending the dream for some) 

Perhaps if only I had waited - ESO, refusal to refund 3 weeks post launch while others were getting them swore me off game forever.  Might have been different had I started a year or so later. 
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonviddster

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    - It was whenever they decided to take the RP out of the Game and made it all streamlined and bite-sized. Redundant systems merged. What many deemed "tedious" was cut out.

- Whenever F2P became the norm is when I lost all interest.
    collekt

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    It was all downhill after Pong.  </sarcasm>
    PhaserlightSovrathOctagon7711immodiumpsychosiz1AlmostLancelot
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    It was good until the novelty wore off. When the novelty wears off is different for every person. Mine was after SWG. I barely play them any more. 

Cryomatrix
    Kyleranklash2defHatefullAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Im still having fun , since my first MUD in 83 ...

But currently UO for 21 years now .. just logged out to log into ESO for pledges then Cyrodill its all good :)
    KyleranPhaserlightExistentialist
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Scorchien said:

But currently UO for 21 years now .. just logged out to log into ESO for pledges then Cyrodill its all good :)
    I just can't fathom your game playing style, neither I suppose can you fathom mine.

We are North and South.

Cheers!  B)
    Scorchien

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It would be the one I've been playing off and on since beta and always end up coming back to, GW2.  Not perfect, but comes closest to my definition of fun, next to SWG.
    AlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I there are or were a loot of good MMO's out there, the problem with most of them is they they seldom stay true to what what made them "good" to start with, and end up trying to be like other games to attract those players, as opposed to focusing at being great at what they are good at.

Case in Point: GW2, was a good game, really could have been a market trend setter, and then with HoT they put in raids, and role based class like situations, and all in all had undone many of the things that made their game 'good' to start with.

Another example would have been DDO, they really had a good DnD feel to that game, and then they went all "generic mmo" and made the game feel more like a DnD Skin (like Neverwinter) then the really attentive creation of a 3rd edition DnD game into MMO format that it was originally.

So there are a lot of good MMO's out there, but, a lot of what makes an MMO good is also what makes it unique from other MMO's.. after all, if it was not unique in some way, it would be generic.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I liked most of the MMORPGs from WoW back to EQ, but I didnt feel I should have to pay $15 a month just to access them. The MMOs now I wouldnt even consider it but i will chip in a few bucks here and there if I like something enough.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Right around the time of Wow/EQ2.FFXI was the game that was headed in the right direction but soooo much change along the way,some great,some good,some terrible kind of sent the game all over the place.
    Nothing has improved what FFXI started so for me,nothing looks playable.
    Should be easy but the approach has to have quite a bit of testing,not something al these budget strapped devs want to afford.Instead they want to give us more WOW/EQ2 clones with 1-2 cheapo gimmicks.

The industry has been stagnant since,i had really hoped FFXI woudl evolve into a great FFXIV but soem realy bad decisions to copy dumb ideas from Blizzard ruined everything.Besides that ,FFXIV/Square Enix did not put enough thought effort into the class combat system the way they did with FFXI.

Instead of IMPROVING immersion and game play,we got....
    Automation
    auto grouping in instances
    Item levels
    gear scores instead of player/character skills and abilities
    questing that gave xp for no reason than to give xp...sigh
    Eq2 way back then and now Wow>>>SCALING,terrible idea,immersion ruining.

probably many more bad ideas to ruin a MMO and ruin immersion but this is enough to turn me off.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FromZeroToMinus1FromZeroToMinus1 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    After ten years, I still jump back into dofus sometimes. No mmo has ever really come close to it. Now-a-days, everyone tries too hard to be the next big thing. Back then it felt more like people made mmos because they wanted to have fun with other.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I had crazy amount of fun with M59, UO, AC.  EQ had its moments and so did DAOC.  SWG was mostly unplayable on my computer.  I didn't get fully into it.  WoW was fun as well. 

After that the game play started to feel repetitive and bored me for the most part.  I had some fun with ESO, SWTOR, Archeage but for the most part never dived into them.
    AlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2018
    I want to take this time to explain the WHY games like Wow and it's clones are soooo poorly designed.

Keyword>>HANDCUFFED combat

explanation or i will try and explain.Most every mmorpg uses ideas like bars,mama bars,energy bars, etc etc and they slowly replenish over time.What MOST players do is just SPAM away,when the bar refreshes they spam again and again,it is mindless and dumb combat.They are handcuffed by those bars,they do literally nothing waiting for that bar to replenish enough to get off some special attack.

Pet classes??Almost every single game does pet classes like crap.The developer tries to turn you and your pet into essentially ONE character or as good as one other better class character.FFXI pet classes ,especially the Beastmaster is extremely potent,you are as good as at least 2 characters or MORE.

The Ranger?? Arrows,bolts,bullets,guns,bows,xbows,boomerangs.There is NO energy bar,you can fire away till your hearts content,you know why no handcuffing?
    Answer at 11 folks>>>AGGRESSION,hate meters,only certain classes can draw hate and survive because you fight mobs 5-10 levels higher.So you have to THINK about when to use powerful attacks,timing,team work etc etc.

This is just a skim coat of how to and not to do combat design.Then there is mob ai,resistances,class structure like FFXI's sub class systems etc etc.

A lot or MOST devs do it half assed,sloppy lazy and crappy designs and until i see a dev that has a clue,we won't be seeing any good mmorpg's for awhile.Know why,well because most new upstart developers are hiring from the very studios that do it crappy,so guess what they are going to be doing>>>crappy designs.

Ungood

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Scorchien said:

Man...I wish I had that. Nothing catches my attention as SWG did, and I suppose that is more the novelty wearing off more than anything. But I wish I still had my childlike wonder at games, it was so much more fun then.
    Existentialist

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Scorchien said:

Which MUD? Mine was Avatar, at age 16.
    Scorchien

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited November 2018
    Scorchien said:

First one i played i cant remember the name of it , was in 83 on c64 , and was a Middle Earth MUD it was amazing .. I remember playing Mark Jacobs game Dragons Gate on Gamer World ..and then Gemstone, Then it was AOL Neverwinter , then to UO where i still am :)

PhaserlightMrMelGibson
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Scorchien said: 
    Scorchien said:

First one i played i cant remember the name of it , was in 83 on c64 , and was a Middle Earth MUD it was amazing .. I remember playing Mark Jacobs game Dragons Gate on Gamer World ..and then Gemstone
    It's amazing how vivid some of the pictures in my head were painted with only words.
    ScorchienAmatheAlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Scorchien said: 
    Scorchien said:

First one i played i cant remember the name of it , was in 83 on c64 , and was a Middle Earth MUD it was amazing .. I remember playing Mark Jacobs game Dragons Gate on Gamer World ..and then Gemstone
    It's amazing how vivid some of the pictures in my head were painted with only words.
       Yup , i still will jump into Gemstone once a year for the experience , and i will still be blown away at times at how rich a beautiful a text world can be ..
    PhaserlightAmathe
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    edited November 2018
    Pre WoW and Classic WoW to a degree in some aspects, although there been a couple hits inbetween for short period of time but devs messed up there game.
    Archeage being one of those started out decent but the RNG gear upgrade combinbed with pay to win ruined that one.
    Darkfall was another one but there development speed was absolutly abyssmal that eventually killed the game.
    Tree of life was another good in beta but in one patch they lost 95% of there pop when they basicly made it impossible to PvP and screwed crafting up

My memorable games has been Everquest 1, Runescape, Classic WoW, Darkfall Archeage, GW2 (Although got repetative quickly with no open world PVP.
    There the only games ive been able to play for a decent period of time

They simplify MMO to much these days imo or make them way to convient with quick travels, maps and instances and so on (I absolutely hate instances with a passion myself)
    AlBQuirky
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    edited November 2018
    There were lots of good games, the market got flooded and people realized they never really liked RPG games but mmorpgs were really the only genre that combined social and gameplay first and people didn't have an option for massive social interaction centric gameplay.

For me the high water mark was Warhammer Online, i feel that was peak mmorpg golden era.  It wasn't bad but it failed because it wasn't all that special vs every other game.  Games that came after it that were good and are still going are GW2/ESO/FFXiV

GW2 capitalized on the fact many hated standard RPG centric mmorpgs and just wanted to mindlessly kill stuff quickly hit endgame and enjoy shallow pvp, none of that is a negative.

FFXIV focused on raids

ESO had a singleplayer esque storyline and sieges

Now its utterly pointless to have a big budget western mmorpg.  PVPers would rather play a MOBA and that makes 100% sense why they would.  RPG fans have single player games that just do it better.  There are L4D style co-ops and ARPG games to fill the gaps.  All do their focus far better than any do it all mmorpg could ever do.

Sadly, for as much hate as it got, i wish i had just started, loved, and stuck with WOW, Went through too many mmorpgs that never made it, we all need breaks from games and it sucks getting the urge and going back to see a game dead, or on its 3rd publisher since i last played, or unable to even download and play due to it being shut down.

Only good ones left are the ones that were late stage development once the MMORPG golden era peaked, GW2/ESO/FFXIV.  No one with a brain would create a new mmropg these days...too expensive not enough interested.

I think WAR was the last great game of the golden era, and to see how quickly it declined, and how EA kept it in necro-mode so long was so sad.

At the peak there were just too many competing games, people didn't stick around, and developers stuck hard to their plans regardless of reality in front of them.  Everyone was determined to have their WOW-Killer or die trying and they all died.

Now its budget indy games that will probably be in development until they die, or private server sandbox survivals in their place, able to sustain on low budgets and low playerbase.

I hope one day someone will put a big budget modern mmorpg that isn't trying to be everquest/wow on the market....though its still "too soon" the mmorpg burn out still exists.  No one wants to spend months helping lazy farmers clearing boars from their field eternally, deal with moody guild leaders trying to run over complicated raids, or shallow battleground pvp...and if they do, they play wow or the 3 surviving late stage mmorpgs and would most likely go back due to communities with in a few months.

Just my over worded rant and 2 cents.
    zzax
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited November 2018
    It's like everyone hates everything when they respond to topics. 
    Yet, when confronted all is good. 

I'm often puzzled :o