Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

U23: Where Dragons Dwell and Spammers Don't

gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
I returned after c. 4 months for Harvest Festival; WDD had launched a few weeks earlier. 

And came to realise that there was no spam in world chat. None. Nothing.

Amidst the other stuff there were a few changes that I missed / went unreported:

1. All (new) keys are Black Steel Keys; all (new) loot boxes are now Traveller's boxes. Old keys & boxes will fade away as used.
2. Key Black Steel Keys are only available from the store. No drops. No key rewards for finishing an area.
3. Store bought items can no longer be mailed with mithril coin.

So not only is there no spam from botters there is no spam from people wanting to sell Sturdy Steel Keys.

Its so "restful". Well done SSG.

Po_gg

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited November 2018
    Yup, though not actually an U23 change, I think it was before that (*). They added new filters, adjusted spam catching parameters (at the first version it was pretty wonky, caught a few normal conversations as well), and in a couple weeks they got to this current stage of no or minimal spam.
    Sometimes you can still see a "kamikaze" attempt, but it gets removed after a few spammed messages. I think I saw maybe two during the entire festival, which is great compared to the darkest hours when you couldn't see anything else but continuous walls of spam.

The removal of MC-mail option is not related to spammers, and that was also before U23. I believe it was more out of greed, lots of LTAs (and players with plenty of Points at hand) used that route and SSG wanted to stop it.

How do you like the new stuff at the festival? Bingo's storyline, the new Maze, etc.
    I think it's really well-written, loved the hints of spooky stories from last year inside the house. The maze-run with cheats is also an interesting idea, doubles the fun with such an easy solution...

(*) edit: just to make it sure I checked the notes :smile:
    https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/update-23-release-notes
    "Spam detection triggers have been slightly loosened. "
    With U23 it was already the tweaking which I mentioned above, since it caught you even when typing something too fast or responded to someone with a quick smiley. The fight against the spams started in the late Summer I think.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    @Po_gg
    As I said I took a break. It had become very bleak indeed spamwise. The difference is phenomenal. I can't remember seeing anything in the couple of weeks I have been back.

And yes the new Harvest Festival stuff is a nice addition. A whole new area and set of quests. A maze with a route through that changes - plus a "cheat route" and as you say more in the Bilbo Halloween storyline. I agree its well done. The letter reading goes on a wee bit to long is a niggle but a nice addition and a suggestion of more next year.