Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Rankings

djpearcedjpearce Member Posts: 38

Perhaps some changes to the way that game rankings are done might be in order:

1) Is there a way for rankings to expire after a certain time period? Some games seem very over-rated for what they are in comparison to the latest games.

2) Is there some control over people simply voting 1 or 10 for all categories for a game, I only ask because with one extra vote out of 280 a game can drop two or three places on the chart?

Comments

• britocabritoca Member Posts: 1,484
    imho, I think there should be at least these additional features in the game rating ui:

1 - "Does not apply" or "not applicable" rating alternative to 1-10 value scale:
    For example:  the custumer support rating bar, if one only does a trial , or even if a player tries the game for a while, unless he actually requires costumer support, he will never know what custumer support service is like.  However, none of th rating scales has a "does not apply" option.  When I rate games, and I do not know what to rate, I usually go with a 5, my best attempt at neutrality.  A NA or DNA option would effectively remove those scores from the displayed calculated average.

2 - Additional rating categories
    How about a category for crafting? For immersion?  For gameplay? For other different game-enjoyment concepts, like the economy, the progression?  Feel free to opinionate on this, I just feel like it's sorely lacking atm.

3 - Periodic reminders to review and update your game ratings
    Like djpearce, I also wonder how may of these reviews are by now dated.  A simple reminder email every few months or so, would require the user to log in, review, and update his game rating.  If the user didn't review/edit/reconfim his game rating after say... 3 reminders or so, his rating would be discounted and erased

-virtual tourist
    want your game back?

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

An update rating request from previous voters would be merited, since many never update their opinion which may alter after time especially compared to newer games on the market.

It has already been stated that scores of 1 and 10 are disregarded, but it doesn't change much if people uses 2 and 9 instead. People are entitled to their opinion, and if you decrease the size of the scale, all games just become lumped together which is a disservice to all of us.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• britocabritoca Member Posts: 1,484

Originally posted by Jorev

An update rating request from previous voters would be merited, since many never update their opinion which may alter after time especially compared to newer games on the market.
    It has already been stated that scores of 1 and 10 are disregarded, but it doesn't change much if people uses 2 and 9 instead. People are entitled to their opinion, and if you decrease the size of the scale, all games just become lumped together which is a disservice to all of us.

Ya know, I understand that the lowest and highest scores be dropped to avoid the fanboy/haters children that roam the website but on the other thand, it's not nice to know that if a player really thinks that the particular game deserves a 10 in any category, that his vote will not count. What if it really is the game with the best graphics he has seen so far??

I think this could use some sort of reputation verification:

If the user is a frequent forum user, other forum users could rank his messages/post good or bad, the user gains a reputation score.  After a certain threshhold, say 50 "good posts" or more maybe, the user has a right to have his extreme votes counted in because it would have gained the right to do so by community approval.

No?

-virtual tourist
    want your game back?

• SpiritCrawlerSpiritCrawler Member Posts: 157
    I disagree. If we have voter A vote '10' because he thought the game was the best in the world and nothing compared to it...What makes you think voter B through voter Z would not opinionate himself accordingly? You would have a good percentage of user rating of a particular game that does not serve the game justice, (i.e., Star Wars Galaxies). For instance, Star Wars Galaxies was the best game of all time. I'm going to rate the game 10 because I'm a fanboy and I can't get it past me that Star Wars Galaxies is past its time. I am one of 25% to 40% of SWG fanboys that would opinionate themselves the same way. In the end, you would have SWG with a good rating, when in fact it isn't. The above was an example and instance to prove my point. Hopefully, I delivered my point and have enough information to prove it.

Regards,
    SpiritCrawler

"In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don''t." -Blaise Pascal

• BanthaFodderBanthaFodder Member Posts: 47
    I dont like the idea of not counting 10s or 1s. However I think they should implement a timer. After a month or two ur vote is discarded. I think the main problem is the ppl who will vote 1 or 10 just because they dont want that game to beat their gae on the charts. Maybe require everyone to leave a comment after they vote. And if ppl notice someone that posted a comment which is hateful (just shooting down the game cause it challenged their game or they dont like that style "fantsy, sci-fi, etc"then they can report them.)
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

I agree that 1's and 10's should be counted; with an explanation to players:

Voting 10 on the Hype Meter does not mean the game is perfect, but only means this is the game you are looking forward to the most.

Voting 10 on the ratings does not mean that a feature is perfect, but only means that this feature is better in this game than any other.

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    The more I think about it, it's not such a bad idea to eliminate all the 10's and 1's.  Especially if those 10's and 1's came from people that had only logged into the site once. Even if they had logged in much more, a person can only fairly vote a 1 or 10 if they have already read about or played all the games available and voted on them all, which likely never or very rarely occurs.