Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Internet Browser are you using?

2»

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    This thread topic would benefit from a poll!
    Well, I could make a poll... but I wanted to know why people are using x browser which you can't with a poll. Plus there's so many browsers mentioned I've never heard of them.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    There is a new ad free browser called Brave, havent tried it myself yet. Take a look here 
    https://brave.com/
    What is their business model?
    No idea! :D 

This might have to do something with it i guess.

REWARD YOUR FAVORITE PUBLISHERS

Earn rewards and give back to your favorite publishers.

Support your favorite sites with micropayments. Brave features blockchain-based tokens which can be used to reward content creators. 

Its founded by the inventor of Javascript and co-founder of Mozilla.
    This got me wondering about how other browsers money. I found this 2015 article:

"Mozilla Firefox

Mozilla releases its annual financial statements each November for the previous year. The company’s latest revenue numbers are from 2013 when the browser brought in $314 million, 97 percent of which came from royalties. These royalties refer to the percentage of advertising revenue Mozilla receives whenever someone uses the built-in search engine that the Firefox browser provides. Of Mozilla’s 2013 revenue, $275 million came from a single search engine. While the Mozilla Corporation doesn’t share the name of the company, it’s safe to assume that the money came from Google.

In addition to search royalties, Mozilla earns money from donations and from sponsored new tab tiles, which can be disabled."

Perhaps Brave will do something similar by monetizing a built in search bar.
    --------------------------------------------
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    After a year of messing around with Yandex, I'm back to Firefox.  Not from choice or preference. Yandex simply stopped working.  I've no real idea why Yandex chose to install itself where it did (and I don't remember being asked where I wanted to install it), and I think that, plus a chkdsk seemed to prevent it from starting.  So it met it's ultimate fate via control panel's uninstall feature.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Chrome on desktop, Safari on mobile.

adblockers on both
    Phaserlight
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I will also say, based on a few posts here, I'm looking into Brave.

I've tried FF and Opera both off and on over the years - Opera came close, but neither were able to hook me into full time use. IE/Edge are non starters.

On mobile, I just can't be bothered to swap from Safari. I don't like it well enough to replace my desktop browser with, but it works well enough on my phone that I don't see any large benefit in using anything else.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Anymore, I want to know how companies make their money.  This is why I now exclusively use Duck Duck Go as a search engine.

Firefox for me but interested in vivaldi and brave after reading this thread.
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    "What Internet Browser are you using?"

Nice pick up line  :P

Chrome

Octagon7711Bloodaxes
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Brave seems pretty good.  I've used it in the past and just recently started experimenting with it again.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited November 2018
    Firefox is still the one for me.  It still has pretty much the best extension support and to me from what I do know is the one that is the safest so far.

I just looked into Brave and after a cursory look totally lost interest in it due to:

Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software Inc. based on the Chromium web browser and its Blink engine. The browser blocks ads and website trackers. In a future version of the browser, the company intends to adopt a pay-to-surf business model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_(web_browser)

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Netscape Navigator...

Just kidding lol