Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't dodge for poop. Can I play GW2?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I'm old and slow and uncoordinated.  In games with actiony combat, I just can't seem to pull off the timing of directional dodging.  Do I have a shot at playing GW2 successfully?  I would just do solo content and maybe some dungeons, no raiding or PvP.  Is there maybe a class and build that would minimize dodging and might work for me?

Thanks!
ceratop001

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    alesters1 said:
    If you are not getting the right position for the gameplay of the game then you must try to get those kinds of the process from the help of the Epson technical support for the right guidance which you may need to know from there.
    Umm, right.  Thank you.
    MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Dodging isn't too crazy in this game. Unless you play a thief lol. I imagine a tanky guardian with a shield or the ranged classes would probably be ok. The good news is the base game is F2P so you can always try it out and see if the dodging is more involving than you would prefer.  

Pro-tip: If you like awesome races with great stories choose a Charr Blood clan :smile:
    ceratop001
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dodging isn't too crazy in this game. Unless you play a thief lol. 
    Gibson is right.
    Thief is the only class where your dodge timing has to be absolutely perfect.
    With tankier classes it's ok to just hit dodge now and then and it will soak up enough incoming damage.

I have never enjoyed running dungeons with pugs however so I don't know how they will react to tanky characters.
    5CARLLeTT
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I'm old and slow and uncoordinated.  In games with actiony combat, I just can't seem to pull off the timing of directional dodging.  Do I have a shot at playing GW2 successfully?  I would just do solo content and maybe some dungeons, no raiding or PvP.  Is there maybe a class and build that would minimize dodging and might work for me?

Thanks!
    I don't think dodge is that hard to master in GW2. Just practice a lot and you will get the hang of it.
    rojoArcueid

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    You almost always have loads of time to dodge in GW2, usually between something like 3-5 seconds with a red indicator on the floor showing you need to dodge. You shouldn't have any major problems.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited November 2018
    Despite what others are saying here...

You will die a lot if you are bad at dodging

Perfect example is reaper necro...even if built with full survivability (at the time it was best solo class/spec that I went with) if you suck at dodging you'll die quick. And I'm someone who sucks at dodging...and I died all the time lol

ESO is quite a bit slower. And, while need to time blocks/dodges in ESO, its much slower paced than what is needed in GW2. So if you are also bad or just "okay" at combat in ESO, it'll be even worse for you in GW2

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

I disagree with TheScavenger. Dodging is not the be all and end all in combat, it's like a side mechanic. If your build and gear is right for the activity, you'll be able to beat most PvE content without ever pressing dodge. If you're trying to solo champion level world content, sure, you're going to have a hard time but that content was never meant to be soloed (although it can be with effort).

In large group activities you will go down even if you dodge all the time.. so.. be aware that with how bosses and champions scale with how many players are fighting it.. they will simply be able to one shot you. That's just how the big group events work.. someone will get you up when that happens so it's not a big problem. It happens to everybody.
    [Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Despite what others are saying here...

You will die a lot if you are bad at dodging

Perfect example is reaper necro...even if built with full survivability (at the time it was best solo class/spec that I went with) if you suck at dodging you'll die quick. And I'm someone who sucks at dodging...and I died all the time lol

ESO is quite a bit slower. And, while need to time blocks/dodges in ESO, its much slower paced than what is needed in GW2. So if you are also bad or just "okay" at combat in ESO, it'll be even worse for you in GW2
    That depends on your playstyle. ESO is certainly slower but if you are basing it on dodging alone i personally have died a lot more in ESO. I find it easier to dodge in GW2 because of its smoother animations and more accurate hit detection.

Sure in the beginning the OP can use the low levels to get familiar with dodging and he should be fine. If he doesn't try it he will never know how easy/hard it can be to dodge.
    StoneRoses

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'd probably say Ranger is your best bet and is usually seen as the "new player friendly" class of the game (then again, I haven't played since before HoT expansion, so that might've changed). Your pet usually tanks for solo and you can pet swap during combat without your pets losing threat while the other one has time to recover.
    edited November 2018
    I disagree with TheScavenger. Dodging is not the be all and end all in combat, it's like a side mechanic. If your build and gear is right for the activity, you'll be able to beat most PvE content without ever pressing dodge. If you're trying to solo champion level world content, sure, you're going to have a hard time but that content was never meant to be soloed (although it can be with effort).

In large group activities you will go down even if you dodge all the time.. so.. be aware that with how bosses and champions scale with how many players are fighting it.. they will simply be able to one shot you. That's just how the big group events work.. someone will get you up when that happens so it's not a big problem. It happens to everybody.
    Some things that stick out from OP, I'll bold them and capitalize. The OP would be trying to solo world content, unless people were around to help

I'm old and SLOW and UNCOORDINATED.  In games with ACTIONY combat, I just can't seem to pull off the timing of directional dodging.  Do I have a shot at playing GW2 successfully?  I would just do SOLO CONTENT and maybe some DUNGEONS

GW2 is pretty action oriented. Its definitely faster paced than even BFA WoW is which is super easy compared to GW2.

And if he is going to do dungeons and solo content, he'll still need to dodge even if people around help him up...but there are times where everyone is too busy to resurrect or there are too many people down

And Rojo said for him ESO was harder because of the animations, but ESO is still much slower paced. And this is coming from someone who thought ESO is a shit MMO that is worse than skyrim, due to certain mechanics (animation cancelling ruined it, and the dumb trade system they puked out)

But GW2 is one of the harder MMOs if you want to solo mostly, which the OP said he would be doing solo content and dungeons. And dungeons are much harder than WoW dungeons. Plus, dunno how any class is gonna face tank anything when even as a reaper necro I still died super fast...and it was the easiest class I played in the game lol. 

But GW2 felt almost as fast paced as TERA did. Both pretty similar actiony style and super fast gameplay. Which...kinda is the opposite of what the OP said when he said "SLOW"

But this is what I find...

Games that are easier combat wise:

WoW, ESO (ignoring stupid animation cancelling)

I dunno how ESO can be considered harder combat wise as far as PVE goes. I could do almost the entire game (ignoring forced group content) without dying after one tamriel was released. That is opposite of GW2 where I died all the time.

Easiest MMOs:
    WoW, LOTRO, EQ2

Games that are slow paced:

-LOTRO (super slow paced MMO)
    -FFXIV (granted at later levels there is a ton of buttons to press, early on its slow as hell)
    -EQ2 (though it didn't age well at all)

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited November 2018

Thanks!
    I'm old and slow too, that's why I use necromancer in this game and specialize in minion master  :D

Some things that stick out from OP, I'll bold them and capitalize. The OP would be trying to solo world content, unless people were around to help

I'm old and SLOW and UNCOORDINATED.  In games with ACTIONY combat, I just can't seem to pull off the timing of directional dodging.  Do I have a shot at playing GW2 successfully?  I would just do SOLO CONTENT and maybe some DUNGEONS

GW2 is pretty action oriented. Its definitely faster paced than even BFA WoW is which is super easy compared to GW2.

And if he is going to do dungeons and solo content, he'll still need to dodge even if people around help him up...but there are times where everyone is too busy to resurrect or there are too many people down

And Rojo said for him ESO was harder because of the animations, but ESO is still much slower paced. And this is coming from someone who thought ESO is a shit MMO that is worse than skyrim, due to certain mechanics (animation cancelling ruined it, and the dumb trade system they puked out)

But GW2 is one of the harder MMOs if you want to solo mostly, which the OP said he would be doing solo content and dungeons. And dungeons are much harder than WoW dungeons. Plus, dunno how any class is gonna face tank anything when even as a reaper necro I still died super fast...and it was the easiest class I played in the game lol. 

But GW2 felt almost as fast paced as TERA did. Both pretty similar actiony style and super fast gameplay. Which...kinda is the opposite of what the OP said when he said "SLOW"

But this is what I find...

Games that are easier combat wise:

WoW, ESO (ignoring stupid animation cancelling)

I dunno how ESO can be considered harder combat wise as far as PVE goes. I could do almost the entire game (ignoring forced group content) without dying after one tamriel was released. That is opposite of GW2 where I died all the time.

Easiest MMOs:
    WoW, LOTRO, EQ2

Games that are slow paced:

-LOTRO (super slow paced MMO)
    -FFXIV (granted at later levels there is a ton of buttons to press, early on its slow as hell)
    -EQ2 (though it didn't age well at all)

Thanks for the patronising reply. I still disagree though.

The OP's question was about dodging, not difficulty level. I'm sure the OP knows that there is hard content and easy content in MMOs.

OP, the base game is free to play.. so just give it a go.

P.S. My Reaper Necro can kill most mobs in 1 hit with the greatsword.. so.. there's that.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    I find the hondas hardest to dodge, and if they are a hybrid, forget it :)
    edited November 2018
    Ppiper said:

I just dinged 80 on my Nec and never hit dodge once, a pontiac yes, just not a dodge
    Did you do actually any HARD content, like champions or group mobs? Those require full combat ability.

Any MMO or game is easy if you stick with easy mobs. That is just obvious. That doesn't make combat easy or hard. The true test is if you can take on harder content with limited reflexes.

Like in the hearts of thorns areas, you need to dodge all the time or get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of AI there. I dunno what path of fire is like, cause never played it. I bought it, but it was too bad FPS on my PC. But in HoT even as a reaper necromancer its super hard. Much harder combat than any other MMO I played.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If you're built for high DPS with little health as a trade off you really have to be on time with positioning, dodging, and timing, one mistake and your dead.  If your specced more for survival then most of the time you have more time to get out of the way or if hit, you won't drop in seconds, but it will take longer to kill stuff.  You have even more room if your playing a tanky class.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, I'd might as well try it.  I think I have the base game and the first expansion, don't really remember.  So I can play a minion-spec necro, a ranger or a...warrior, are they?  Out of those, a tanky warrior sounds like the most fun to me.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    In my opinion no....this is a heavily twitch based game. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Ppiper said:

I just dinged 80 on my Nec and never hit dodge once, a pontiac yes, just not a dodge
    Did you do actually any HARD content, like champions or group mobs? Those require full combat ability.

Any MMO or game is easy if you stick with easy mobs. That is just obvious. That doesn't make combat easy or hard. The true test is if you can take on harder content with limited reflexes.

Like in the hearts of thorns areas, you need to dodge all the time or get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of AI there. I dunno what path of fire is like, cause never played it. I bought it, but it was too bad FPS on my PC. But in HoT even as a reaper necromancer its super hard. Much harder combat than any other MMO I played.
    HoT isn't like it used to be when it launched. The whole area was balanced for grouping back then and for awhile after. I'm not sure when you last played but it's not as tough anymore. Though, it's still worse than core and Path of Fire purely because of mob density.

Path of Fire is the best part of GW2, Heart of Thorns is the worst.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    From what I gathered from your post, GW2 will be too much twitch combat.  I would say try WoW which while does have some quick movements, doesn't have dodging.  If WoW dungeons are too much for you GW2 is a hard no.

I'd try ESO as well.  Outside of it being a great solo MMORPG it has what I believe slower dodging that what would be required for GW2.  It more move when you see red than actual dodging.

Honestly, WoW Classic slated for summer 2019 sounds more your speed.  No dodging/minimal movement during fighting but is balanced by managing a larger toolkit.

Viper482

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    edited November 2018
    I am part of a group with several older players.  Some of them have arthritis and have trouble beyond dodging at times.  Dodging is an issue for some of these players.  GW2 is one of the more forgiving games in most of its content.  Heart of Thorns is maybe the only content where you may have some issues.  I also believe class choice is a big part as well.  I would definitely avoid playing a thief as well as an elementalist since its squishy for the most part.   Many people, including the older group I mentioned above have had success with the Necromancer minion master.  Its the easiest class based upon your post.  You may also have some success with a Ranger, Engineer, and Mesmer with the right builds.  I believe the tank melee classes would be a possibility as well but this game tends to favor non melee classes for the most part.  It really comes down to your comfort level and how you want to play.   Lastly,  a few of the players in my group came from ESO to GW2 and liked the experience better in GW2.  
    TheScavenger
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    Guilds Wars 2 is a great mmo the quests are all different its not just dumb fetch quests play it!
    i just got pissed of in the last dlc the one quest is too hard the chef quest and i cant progress cause i cant do it.
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    edited November 2018
    If you play casually, yes. If you want to play max level content, no.
    I don't know why people are answering you like you said you were disabled and couldn't dodge at all...

What I suggest you do if you do try it is use the Action Camera Mode so you don't have to press extra keys for targeting and make sure the dodge is bound to a handy mouse button or something. Maybe even the middle mouse button.