Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Team Q&A + Immortal World Information

Comments

• ZhenoxZhenox Member UncommonPosts: 59
    DMKano, are you working in mobile game business? 
    JeffSpicolisofeenhaftchronoss2015Alomar
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Imo this mobile game is all good, they should never have brought it to blizzcon though since only 1% og the 1% of the attendes and online viewers want a mobile diablo game. They should have just released quietly
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:

The justification of action doesn't preclude the justification of another. Feel free to not be angry. That's your prerogative. But do not pretend that we do not also have just cause to be angry. 

As for me, I'll be boycotting all of their games until one of those 'multiple Diablo projects' reveals itself as a proper expansion, remaster, sequel, or prequel. As is my consumer right, justified by the glacial development pace fans of this franchise have dealt with for far too long. 

I am in the same boat - except I don't boycott game companies 

If a game is released that I don't like - I just skip it.

I never take it personally if a company tries to make a buck off someone else, or a different market segment like mobile - it's what businesses do.

My personal hope is that Diablo 4 turns out to be something that I will enjoy - I hope that Blizzard can pull off a good game - something far better than D3.

But if D4 happens to fall short - again no big deal for me personally, I just won't play it.

I am not going to hold an axe over Blizzards head just because they fail to meet my personal expectations, instead I will just keep playing other games that I find enjoyable.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable. I don't boycott lightly.

As of now, I only have 2 gaming companies permanently blacklisted. Those being Aeria Games (for canceling a game that I wanted after discounting their Aeria Points shortly before the intended release of that game) and Cyanide Studios (for making what I feel to be shoddy products off of hardcore roleplaying and fantasy IPs). Neither company makes games of a quality that would be any real loss to me.

Blizzard is the only company on temporary boycott. They can lift that by giving the fans what they want. If they're working on that, then it won't take long for them to get off my shitlist. If they aren't working on that, then they deserve to be on my shitlist. I don't see the problem with that.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Zhenox said:
    nastilon said:
    0 interest in a mobile game. Guess this will be great for 12 year olds and the burgeoning market in Asia.
    you forgot moms and people who take long shitting sessions. 
    Mobile is huge the world over.

Marketing studies indicate that as far as revenue goes Mobile is bigger than Console and PC put together. Around 50% mobile, 30% console, 20% PC. Different surveys, slightly different numbers and some put mobile even higher.

Step back. What is mobile? Phones yes but also tablets. So what? Consider:

Apple announced their new iPad Pro last week with, according to Apple, power of an XBox 1S. Its Apple? Well Apple today, non-Apple tomorrow. And the screen size on large tablets can be around 12 inches / 300mm. As big, in other words, as the monitor size of early "PCs". And they will get more powerful and bigger.

Mobile no longer means "puny". The A12X processor in the iPad is being compared to an 8th gen i7 (and in some tests wins). Sure there are more powerful cpus and gpus but this power makes it possible to offer games far more complex than Tetris and Farmville. 

Activision Blizzard has been trying to get into mobile for years. Their first efforts - not so good. They bought King (for $5.9B) but has it really worked given the decline in user engagement.

The power now available on mobile means that "serious" games can now be introduced. Games that Activision Blizzard, I believe, feel they can deliver.

If you remember playing the first Diablo you will know why Blizzard became what they are. Imagine someone with a large tablet who has never had a PC experiencing something even better ..... for the first time.

I think that is what lies behind D:I. "PC like" mobile games.
    Perjure
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    I'm sorry but I don't believe D4 is in the works and Kano you are going to have to show some proof besides beating people up for expressing their opinions. Just because you think you sit on some high and mighty throne does not give your words any more power than anyone else's.

Blizz knew damn well what people's reaction would be to this announcement. If they didn't they should all fired for being so out of tune with their community. All they had to do was show a hint of D4 or something along those lines to pacify the crowd but no they choose to create this shitstorm themselves.

They made it perfectly clear. The future of Diablo is on your phone.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    DMKano said:
    Wizbuiz said:
    What a bummer, they are so arrogant, just cuz blizz fanbois Will play any expansion they make and have had Great success, they Think they Can get away with everything since fans arent boycotting them. This is the time to show that the customers wont swallow any crap they make just cuz it has a blizz tag. Diablo 3 was fun the first 6 months. But a spin-off on mobile is just ridiculous, getting more attached to our phones is what we need the least

Why are they so arrogant? Do companies not have the right to release products on platforms that you don't like?

Diablo Immortal is NOT and never was meant for PC gamer crowd. A proper PC version is in the works.

What's more arrogant is players thinking that their personal needs must always be met and are the sole focus of everything game companies do - and that announcing one product that doesn't cater to them specifically give them the right to sling poo at the company.

Hello?
    Blizzcon is aproduct, one that cost $50+

Maybe Blizzard should be offering refunds

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    laserit said:
    DMKano said:
    Wizbuiz said:
    What a bummer, they are so arrogant, just cuz blizz fanbois Will play any expansion they make and have had Great success, they Think they Can get away with everything since fans arent boycotting them. This is the time to show that the customers wont swallow any crap they make just cuz it has a blizz tag. Diablo 3 was fun the first 6 months. But a spin-off on mobile is just ridiculous, getting more attached to our phones is what we need the least

Why are they so arrogant? Do companies not have the right to release products on platforms that you don't like?

Diablo Immortal is NOT and never was meant for PC gamer crowd. A proper PC version is in the works.

What's more arrogant is players thinking that their personal needs must always be met and are the sole focus of everything game companies do - and that announcing one product that doesn't cater to them specifically give them the right to sling poo at the company.

Hello?

I mean, if you went just for that then maybe?  Even then there's tons of other stuff....so no.

I think they're idiots for doing what they did too.....but I mean if you spent money to go see one announcement out of a whole con then I'm sorry but you're (the person who did) not very bright either.

laserit
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DMKano said:
    Wizbuiz said:

Hello?
    Announcing it as a big deal at a convention where your biggest PC fans paid money to see news and reveals on games they care about is just shit practice.

Quit with the "they're entitled to make the games they want!" horseshit like it wasn't a straight gaffe for Blizz to make Diablo Immortal some big Blizzcon announcement.
    Phry[Deleted User]Alomar

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    edited November 2018
    Q: Will we see a lot of microtransactions or will it be single pay?

A: Blizzard’s tradition is gameplay first regardless of if it’s boxed or F2P. We want to focus on making an excellent game first–system, items–and then when the game is farther along we can take a look at the game and figure out what the best business model is.

Are you telling me that a company like Blizzard spent years making a game, have not decided yet the payment model and are leaving a very important step such as monetization to when the game is about to be finished?

Right.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Wizbuiz said:

Hello?
    Announcing it as a big deal at a convention where your biggest PC fans paid money to see news and reveals on games they care about is just shit practice.

Quit with the "they're entitled to make the games they want!" horseshit like it wasn't a straight gaffe for Blizz to make Diablo Immortal some big Blizzcon announcement.
    Announcing Diablo:Eternal at Blizzcon was definitely the wrong time the wrong place and almost certainly the wrong audience.
    Diablo fans would have been a lot happier with just a few statements that there was a Diablo 4 etc. in development rather than what they did get, which was far too vague. Ending on Diablo:Eternal was probably the worst thing they could have done. :/
    SBFordMadFrenchieAlomar
    gervaise1 said:
    Zhenox said:
    nastilon said:
    0 interest in a mobile game. Guess this will be great for 12 year olds and the burgeoning market in Asia.
    you forgot moms and people who take long shitting sessions. 
    Mobile is huge the world over.

Marketing studies indicate that as far as revenue goes Mobile is bigger than Console and PC put together. Around 50% mobile, 30% console, 20% PC. Different surveys, slightly different numbers and some put mobile even higher.

Step back. What is mobile? Phones yes but also tablets. So what? Consider:

Apple announced their new iPad Pro last week with, according to Apple, power of an XBox 1S. Its Apple? Well Apple today, non-Apple tomorrow. And the screen size on large tablets can be around 12 inches / 300mm. As big, in other words, as the monitor size of early "PCs". And they will get more powerful and bigger.

Mobile no longer means "puny". The A12X processor in the iPad is being compared to an 8th gen i7 (and in some tests wins). Sure there are more powerful cpus and gpus but this power makes it possible to offer games far more complex than Tetris and Farmville. 

Activision Blizzard has been trying to get into mobile for years. Their first efforts - not so good. They bought King (for $5.9B) but has it really worked given the decline in user engagement.

The power now available on mobile means that "serious" games can now be introduced. Games that Activision Blizzard, I believe, feel they can deliver.

If you remember playing the first Diablo you will know why Blizzard became what they are. Imagine someone with a large tablet who has never had a PC experiencing something even better ..... for the first time.

I think that is what lies behind D:I. "PC like" mobile games.
    The thing is, it's not even a Blizzard game, it's been farmed out to China.

This announcement just showed the fan base in no uncertain terms that Blizzard is not the same company that it used to be.
    Nilden

DMKano said:
    laserit said:
    DMKano said:
    Wizbuiz said:

Hello?

Blizzcon is not really a product - because the show costs way more money than it ever makes back in tickets - every Blizzcon is a huge monetary loss for Blizzard - so in reality it's written off as "marketing campaign" - as the hope is the money spent on the show will pay off by the buzz generated in future sales

But maybe they should offer refunds - however this is highly unlikely as you stil get the "experience" of being there even if the experience is a negative one. 

Like how many can say "I was there when Blizzard got booed at Blizzcon" - not many can say that, and again maybe that's the type of experience that you can't put a price on (for some).

But the excitement of game conferences is the "unknown" that's the attraction. If everything that was going to be announced was 100% known before the show - not many people would go.

So in reality - you buy the tickets for this - you never know what you are gonna get - maybe it's something awesome, maybe it ends up being a turd - that's the dice you roll when you pay for a show with an unknown agenda.
    If you're selling it, it's a product.

Its an entertainment product and I wonder how many who paid for it are happy with their purchase?

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I'm just bummed the game doesn't have witch doctor. Why not include it? Witch doctor was my favorite class to play in D3.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    No Witch Doctor love in that picture? ; ;

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    If D4 was in the works, wouldn't they have concept art, storyboards or lore they could have revealed? They didn't even have a logo. Cyperpunk dropped an image all those years ago.

Saying, "They have other Diablo stuff in the works" means it could be anything, could be t-shirts for all we know.
    JeffSpicoli

DMKano said:
    Wizbuiz said:

Hello?

I believe Blizzard actually thought Diablo fans would groove on it,  Diablo on the go, ching$ ching$

There has been a huge miscalculation here.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]cmacqDiabhualAvarixFlyByKnight

• dajjal1983dajjal1983 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    DMKano said:
    laserit said:
    DMKano said:
    Wizbuiz said:

Hello?

Blizzcon is not really a product - because the show costs way more money than it ever makes back in tickets - every Blizzcon is a huge monetary loss for Blizzard - so in reality it's written off as "marketing campaign" - as the hope is the money spent on the show will pay off by the buzz generated in future sales

But maybe they should offer refunds - however this is highly unlikely as you stil get the "experience" of being there even if the experience is a negative one. 

Like how many can say "I was there when Blizzard got booed at Blizzcon" - not many can say that, and again maybe that's the type of experience that you can't put a price on (for some).

But the excitement of game conferences is the "unknown" that's the attraction. If everything that was going to be announced was 100% known before the show - not many people would go.

So in reality - you buy the tickets for this - you never know what you are gonna get - maybe it's something awesome, maybe it ends up being a turd - that's the dice you roll when you pay for a show with an unknown agenda.
    while normally I enjoy your insightful post, but this is inaccurate unless you have something to back it up. they sold a ton of virtual tix @ 60$ a pop, there is no way they didn't make a profit 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Wizbuiz said:

Hello?

Yep - it was a shitty thing to do - Blizzard is obviously dealing with the fallout of the negative reaction right now.

But you can't deny that it's their show, so they can do whatever the hell they want, if they decided to not reveal any games but instead have devs take their pants off and play butt bongos in front of the audience - again their show they can do that too

They just have to deal with the consequences of their actions afterwards, and that's what they are doing now

it comes down to managing expectations in the end - those who expected D4 announcement and didn't get it - well that's on them, as there were zero guarantees that D4 was getting announced this year.

Should Blizzard have managed players expectations better - yep, I think they should have been more transparent on that whole "hey keep your Diablo expectations in check" - should be more like "hey PC/console gamers - we have stuff in the works but won't be making any announcements at this Blizzcon" - that would have been a lot better.

Now next year - that's a different story - the thing is D4 is coming just not now, disappointments happen. Maybe Blizzard won't do any mobile announcements at future Blizzcons - or maybe they will heh.

Still - hope for the best, but expect the worst - manage your own expectations, don't have your own happiness be determined by whims of other companies announcements  - at least that's my advice

Or don't - and get pissed whenever your personal expectations aren't met by a video game company that fails to deliver what you hoped they would

Your choice
    The expectation of Blizzcon, considering that Blizzard literally built their company on primarily PC titles, was that the culmination announcement at the end of Blizzcon wouldn't be something that has shit-all to do with PC gaming.  It's not even a console release.

There's no need for the PC fanbase to go into Blizzcon with the expectation that the big announcement for one of the most lauded PC IPs Blizzard has was for....  mobile only.  Blizzard was simply wrong for focusing on something that the crowd they had at Blizzcon (and their fanbase in general) had no interest in.  There's a lesson to be learned here about knowing the crowd you're dealing with when you plan a presentation.  It goes back to companies buying their own hype; Blizzard thought if they acted excited for it, their PC fanbase would, too.  They were wrong; not the players.

You can try to blame the players all you want Kano, but you're off-base here.
    SwampySackjimmywolf

DMKano said:
    laserit said:
    The thing is, it's not even a Blizzard game, it's been farmed out to China.

This announcement just showed the fan base in no uncertain terms that Blizzard is not the same company that it used to be.

Blizzard has no in-house devs with mobile experience - actually I don't know of many western studios that have any mobile devs in house - so outsourcing to top mobile developers like Netease is what pretty much all studios do.

Blizzard is a growing billion dollar company, of course they are not going to remain the same old company - as a business they will go expand their portfolio into markets where they feel they can get traction - and mobile makes complete sense for Blizzard right now.

Is the fan base that out of touch to not understand that companies change over time? Especially a company as huge as Blizzard - they have to expand into new markets to reach more players.

Also Blizzard is also working on a Diablo games for PC/console gamers - they just haven't announced those yet 

Expecting a game company the size of Blizzard to remain in the same markets over and over again - that's just not realistic thinking.

They're part of a corporate conglomerate. They own a whole company who makes mobile games.

They farmed it out to China for the same reasons that almost every other industry does.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This wouldn't have been a bad announcement had they not backed out of showing D4.
    Aeander
  • BloodDiimondBloodDiimond Member UncommonPosts: 26

I understand that, but if the controversy had not happened, would the audience who Diablo Immortals is for even have known about the announcement? Are the people who are into mobile heavily even pay attention to traditionally games media or conventions?

We do and I'm very excited! I like being able to game on the road or game while watching movies so I'm good! Looking forward to both this and the next PC version!
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    A: Blizzard’s tradition is gameplay first regardless of if it’s boxed or F2P. We want to focus on making an excellent game first–system, items–and then when the game is farther along we can take a look at the game and figure out what the best business model is.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/diablo-3/news/diablo-team-qanda-immortal-world-information-1000050394#2m3WIqmgXbz9qHuX.99

LOLz so said every F2P dev ever
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited November 2018
    "Blizzard’s tradition is gameplay first regardless of if it’s boxed or F2P. We want to focus on making an excellent game first–system, items–and then when the game is farther along we can take a look at the game and figure out what the best business model is."

I hate this PR bullshit. We know you know, you know you know. IF you cant talk about it, then just say you cant talk about it.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2018
    A Diablo focused Blizzcon (according to Blizzard) with a Diablo 'project' that wasn't even really made by them and blizzard wonders why people are mad. Its not hard, just announce anything about your other projects and provide concept art to tickle people's nipples before you go in raw with your only real Diablo announcement being a mobile game. Announcing other projects outside of your company's biggest event of the year is just stupid. On top of all of this, this isn't even something that is really being marketed to the western market. This is mainly something for the eastern market yet being headlined at an western event....what???
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    edited November 2018
    I watched the openning ceremony of Blizzcon and just a few minutes in I felt that people are reaching a point of satiety with the BS they are fed. Reception was cold, interaction with the public was almost non-existent primarily because the audience was tense, fearful, non responsive.

That room was not only filled with fans, it was filled with people that work in the auxiliary Blizzard industry, content creators, merchandise/auxiliary product publishers, "franchise" shop owners, small share holders, etc.

Everybody there with their attitude and their reactions gave off the aura that the "honey moon" is coming to an over. Fans are starting to perceive Blizz as any other impersonal company. Wich isnt a bad thing per se but its not what that company had been for more than a decade and not by far what the collective imaginary built them to be.

Also it was a dull Blizzcon. No annoucements nor any hype (hope) given. But one thing stays true. They still produce the best CGi cinematics/shorts you can find.