Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Immortal

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,157
    Any game developers wanting to try their hand in the wonderful world of precision metal fabrication can give me a call ;). It's very difficult to find skilled employees these days and in that I'm 100% serious.
    blueturtle13IselinSedrynTyrosMrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,880
    DMKano said:
    So they just keep reloading that video until they get a response they like? niiiice and apparently deleting negative comments. Finally done with Blizzard

Again - if you worked for Blizzard marketing team you would be doing the same thing.

The downvoting is being done by a  PC crowd - not mobile gamers - which Blizzard is well aware of so yep - they will keep doing whatever it takes to minimize the pissed off mob who was not the intended market of ruining this for them.

If the mobile gamers were coming out in droves and downvoting - you'd have a point.

But again put it all into perspective and their actions make sense
    I call it manipulation. And I love Blizzard.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    SBFordNycteliosPhryCazriel
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,760
    lahnmir said:
    DMKano said:
    So they just keep reloading that video until they get a response they like? niiiice and apparently deleting negative comments. Finally done with Blizzard

Again - if you worked for Blizzard marketing team you would be doing the same thing.

The downvoting is being done by a  PC crowd - not mobile gamers - which Blizzard is well aware of so yep - they will keep doing whatever it takes to minimize the pissed off mob who was not the intended market of ruining this for them.

If the mobile gamers were coming out in droves and downvoting - you'd have a point.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    If only my Pixel 2 mobile phone had a YouTube app that would let up and downvote videos. Then, as a mobile user I could voice my opinion. Dang, it's only on PCs that people can vote, eh?
    cheyaneblueturtle13PhryCazrielMrMelGibson
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,827
    cheyane said:
    DMKano said:
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Oh they knew

They would have walked off stage if they were so shocked and blindsided. But no they had a quick come back - you guys have phones right?

lol - nice

So yes - even those guys were well aware that this was gonna go as well as a turd in a punchbowl
    Just because they were not ignorant of the backlash does not mean they aren't stupid for doing it.  Especially with that response.  

Even worse than "you think you want it, but you don't".

I actually really liked the way Blizzard handled this - they were in a no win situation. But then again - I am not watching this a disappointed PC gamer - that's not my mindset.  I know it's only a matter of time before we get a proper PC Diablo game - might be 7 years from now but it will happen.

I think it's actually a pretty snarky remark - it's like "hey we know you guys hate this - but we don't care - you do have a phones don't you" - hahahah that's just cold 

The response was not really meant to change anything - as they knew - no matter what they said they were not going to change anyone's mind, they audience was going to remain pissed off no matter what.

So they decided - hey instead of being miserable - might as well have some fun with the angry mob "you guys have phones right?" 

Classic

A lot of people in and connected to the industry think this way Kano. I'm sure a bunch got a huge laugh out of that subtle "fuck you".

And that's why Trion and SoE are dead, like the companies that will follow them, unless they have a change of heart and mind. The last laugh is the best laugh. Have your laugh now while you can and watch all that burn down around you. Keep saying, this is fine.

Gamers are an odd and fickle demographic. Tomorrow we could all love Blizzard, if they do an about face and start making good games again. Or they could end up burning in a dumpster fire if the don't. Gamers generally rebel against belligerent interaction. Blizzard in a word is the definition of belligerence.

The belligerence is due to the current state of the video game industry. There's not a lot of happiness for video game devs at this point.

I think the trend of game devs leaving the industry for good will continue - because what most are realizing is that it's just not worth it to stick around.

The truth is - the devs are not happy anymore, not at Blizzard, not at Square Enix not even at CD project RED nor Epic.

So yes more companies (especially smaller ones) will meet the same fate as Trion and SoE - this won't stop, more devs will leave the industry and never come back.

This article nails it
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/318588/The_great_video_game_exodus.php

"Truthfully, I don't love my work anymore. But my life has been so much more comfortable. Ultimately, leaving the game industry was the right choice."

Perhaps this is just the natural ebb and flow of things - sometimes you have to burn it all down to have a fresh start.

But lots of my friends in the game industry are very much in the "leaving and never coming back" mode right now. They are just fed up and would happily take jobs that they don't like as much - but bring them a better life/work balance.

Ultimately - the gamers are the ones who lose as the end result of all this - less MMO devs - less MMO games.

That was such a sad article. I would not want to work in an industry like that. I think something has gotta give soon as far as these poor workers go in this industry.
    Many people in the industry are contract workers. It is honestly not that bad. Just depends on who you know. Yet that is true for all industries. 
    The biggest threat to the video game worker force is the other entertainment sectors. They pay much better in my experience =p 
    TorvalSBFordNycteliosMadFrenchiecheyaneOctagon7711MrMelGibson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,880
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    DMKano said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    If only my Pixel 2 mobile phone had a YouTube app that would let up and downvote videos. Then, as a mobile user I could voice my opinion. Dang, it's only on PCs that people can vote, eh?
    I mean manipulation from Blizzards side in case that wasn’t clear ;)  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TorvalNyctelios
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Cazriel said:
    Gotta to ask cuz I don't know.  Is mobile gaming big in China?
    Mobile gaming is minimal risk max profit. Corporate types love this crap. 
    TorvalNycteliosPhryOctagon7711MrMelGibson
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited November 2018
    I call bullshit. 

The user base that took Blizzard to the mega corp it is are not people who would get hype about a mobile re-skin of an older version. There are no "mobile gamers" there is only a mobile user base. If Blizzard desired to fleece the mobile user base,they could have done it without the dramatics that target their die-hards.

They thought the base wanted this. They invested in the reveal. They were confident. They were wrong.

People being consumer drones has nothing to do with it. Sure it will likely do well on sales day because compulsive mobile purchase people and FOMO (fear of missing out), but they have a 1:32 ratio of positive to negative sentiment. Blizzard got their ass kicked on this in plain view, and the fans don't forget.

So here's to hoping the uptick in revenue was worth the marketing diarrhea they now have in the bed

Do remember EA/Bioware/Mass Effect debacles...
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    PhryCazrielNordicApacheMrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,760
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    DMKano said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    I mean manipulation from Blizzards side in case that wasn’t clear ;)  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah, I was riding on your post mostly in response to Kano, sorry. I think it is silly to claim that mobile gamers can't or won't vote on a youtube video.
    lahnmirNycteliosSlapshot1188Phryblueturtle13CazrielSlyLoKlaseritMrMelGibson
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member RarePosts: 1,145
    For a second I was thinking it was a mistake to announce it at Blizzcon, but now I don’t think it was. They have every right to and they have every right to make any games they feel like making. You don’t have to support the games they make, but the reactions are ridiculous.
    Slapshot1188NycteliosIselinNordicApache
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,633
    DMKano said:
    Oh they knew

They would have walked off stage if they were so shocked and blindsided. But no they had a quick come back - you guys have phones right?

lol - nice

So yes - even those guys were well aware that this was gonna go as well as a turd in a punchbowl
    It is funny how you keep trying to spin this.
    To most everyone else, he might as well have said "well go f.. yourselves"

Not saying that is what he meant, but in the heat of the moment that is what it sounded like. My guess is that they were genuinely surprised by the reception. If they were ready for a shitstorm, then they wouldn't do the stupid thing of trying to censor youtube comments either - That is a typical panic reaction.
    SwampySackCazrielRexKushmanMrMelGibson
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,507
    For a second I was thinking it was a mistake to announce it at Blizzcon, but now I don’t think it was. They have every right to and they have every right to make any games they feel like making. You don’t have to support the games they make, but the reactions are ridiculous.
    T... Again this?

They have all the right to announce whatever they want wherever they want...

And fans have the rights to react however they want.
    PhryTorvalSlapshot1188SwampySackOctagon7711NordicApache
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It was like going to a posh resterant and paying up front for the best they have, struggling through a half cooked and unappealing appetiser and then finding out that was actually the main dish, disatisfaction guaranteed.  :p
    blueturtle13MrMelGibson
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,691
    edited November 2018
    And we have every right to express what we think of them and their games. We used nothing but our words now didn't we? Is that ridiculous - to voice one's opinion? Well, why are you voicing yours then? Be the change you want in the world.
    cheyaneNordicApacheNycteliosMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 745
    DMKano said:
    sayuu said:
    DMKano said:
    Absolute garbage.

The downvotes on the reveal trailer are currently at 107k.. the upvotes are 4.1k.

They have completely messed up. Announcing a crappy mobile game when all the fans have been starved of a proper Diablo for years is ridiculous.

While I agree - lets consider this from Blizzards perspective.

In their current portfolio - mobile titles are lacking - so from a business perspective of growing users in all markets - a mobile Diablo game makes complete sense.

I think its easy to forget that billion dollar companies focus on growing their earnings and wealth  first and foremost even if it means upsetting some portion of their former fanbase.

I mean the pissed off fanbase is a really minor thing - as as soon as Blizzard announces Diablo4 - all will be instantly forgotten.

So it's a win-win for Blizzard, win with a mobile game - have a minor upset of the players and then get them all back with a proper D4 game.

if diab-lol 4 is being developed (  I seriously doubt it at this point ) how hard would it be to mention that this mobile game is just to "hold over fans till D4" much like how bethesda did with their first model offering announcement fallout shelter.

there is a right way and a wrong way to expand a franchise to new platforms, what happened at Blizzcon definitely wasn't the right way. . .

it seems 2018 is the year of big game companies pissing off their fans, like they all had a secret meeting and bet who could generate the most rage. . .mind bogglingly stoopid.

Diablo 4 or whatever it ends up being is in the works. 

Blizzard simply is not ready to even drop a blurb about it, as they frankly dont need to. It gains them nothing to do so now as once ready they will market the hell out of it and make a killing.

Video game market is changing rapidly and Blizzard simply has no need to risk dropping any hints about projects in the works that still have some slim chance getting cancelled internally.

So for them the proven formula is - keep it under wraps until its ready for showtime then - ensure mega sales with a strong arm marketing campaign 

If they said something now - that initial wave of hype is hard to maintain for year+ and Blizzard doesnt need to use "small studio, we don't have money to advertise" tactics where you know about the product 4 years prior to launc and there are constant developer updates during development. By the time the game is ready to launch you are already sick and tired of it.

When you have a huge marketing budget like Blizzard does, you dont need to resort to early reveal and an onslaught of dev updates for years before release.

dont give me that crap. . . diablo 3 was announced almost 5 years before its release and it STILL made a buttload of cash, and during those 5 years there was no major announcement outside of blizzcons.

I'm not saying Blizzard needs to show anything, they just need to mention that this mobile abomination is not the only thing fans have to look forward to.

all of what I've seen is blizzard bowing out of the ARPG genre because they no longer have the talent to compete.

P.S. it seems that with Trion being no more you've transferred your white knight flag to blizzard.
    Slapshot1188NordicApacheNycteliosMrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,593

PhryStoneRosesNycteliosNordicApache
    edited November 2018
    I want everybody to understand that in this metric/analytics worshiping society we live in, Blizzard (one of the largest and well known game developers/distributors in the business) has a;

1:32 positive to negative ratio on a game reveal.

That means for every person who liked the idea of Diablo Immortal, 32 people said "hell no". That's crazy. There's probably a video of some sicko kicking a puppy that doesn't have negative sentiment like that.

There's no spinning this as good. The mobile revenue won't be worth the long term damage.

That's like cheating on a great spouse, with a great job, who always supported you for a quick nut from a hooker, getting CAUGHT... THEN trying to rationalize the fallout as worth it.

TorvalPhrySlapshot1188NildenNycteliosSwampySackNordicApacheMrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Gaming journalists on Twitter seem to be reacting to fan backlash...  Disagreeably.

I find that strange.  They took special issue with the red shirt guy asking the April fool's question.  I wonder exactly what they expected from Blizzard's fans when the developer has always been known as a PC developer and built a fanbase around such?
    CazrielMrMelGibson

Gaming journalists on Twitter seem to be reacting to fan backlash...  Disagreeably.

"We're getting killed out there, can you talk to them for us?"

NycteliosXarkoPhryNildenCazrielNordicApacheConstantineMerushallucigenocidelaseritkjempffand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find that strange.  They took special issue with the red shirt guy asking the April fool's question.  I wonder exactly what they expected from Blizzard's fans when the developer has always been known as a PC developer and built a fanbase around such?
    Just like they acted against any sort of movement or backlash made by consumers against any toxic, exploitative or just ill intended action from publishers or developers.

Because they are paid as an outlet for ads and that's it. Major game news sites/outlets are just paid ads.

Support small content creation from independent journalists with no brand on their forehead.

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,021

Gaming journos can be just as out of touch as anyone else. It's cliche for them to berate grass roots negativity. When they do so they invariably come across as self-important blowhards and reveal their inner disdain for their audience. Sound familiar?

Payola doesn't even have to come into it (although their reaction does definitely provide fertile ground for conspiracy theorists.) They just know for a fact that they are much more knowledgeable critical thinkers than their regular folk gamer audience - something they try to hide since they want to be seen as "one of us." When push comes to shove though they know who invites them to special events and sends them the free review copies to play with.

TorvalNyctelioslaseritMrMelGibson
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    edited November 2018
    I'm about as disappointed as can be imagined, both in the Diablo Immortal announcement and in BlizzCon overall. I'm sure there's much more that we don't know, but this whole thing could have been handled better.

Just look at what Bethesda did with revealing games that are years down the road. Just a flyby, "Hey look what we're working on" without any details, but fans are satisfied.

Blizz could learn something from that and understand that this isn't the early 2000s any more. They simply don't have that luxury.
    NycteliosMisterZebubIselinBeansnBreadCazrielNildenTorvalMadFrenchieblueturtle13MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,909

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,854
    Blizzard is doing what a lot of companies tend to do.  They are so anxious to bring in new customers to increase revenue, that they start taking their current customer base for granted.  Little by little they start treating their customers more like employees and whittle away their rights while dumbing down their games.  This explains a lot of they may be prepping some of their other games for future mobile distribution.
    TorvalMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CazrielCazriel Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Nilden said:

You Got A Phone, Don't You? 

You know this sprang out because this is how they justified what they were doing internally.  Everybody's got a phone, right?  Everybody can play!  This is probably what Wyatt was told when it was dropped in his lap.  Mobile?  You're kidding, right?  Nope.  Everybody's got a phone. 
    TorvalSlapshot1188SedrynTyrosMrMelGibson
    SBFord said:
    I'm about as disappointed as can be imagined, both in the Diablo Immortal announcement and in BlizzCon overall. I'm sure there's much more that we don't know, but this whole thing could have been handled better.

Just look at what Bethesda did with revealing games that are years down the road. Just a flyby, "Hey look what we're working on" without any details, but fans are satisfied.

Blizz could learn something from that and understand that this isn't the early 2000s any more. They simply don't have that luxury.
    To be honest, kinda off topic but oh well, the contents they are adding in 8.1, 8.1.5 and 8.2 (wow) are pretty cool. 

Sure, they need to fix the issues too but the content sounds really great.