Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Immortal

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    So they just keep reloading that video until they get a response they like? niiiice and apparently deleting negative comments. Finally done with Blizzard

Again - if you worked for Blizzard marketing team you would be doing the same thing.

The downvoting is being done by a  PC crowd - not mobile gamers - which Blizzard is well aware of so yep - they will keep doing whatever it takes to minimize the pissed off mob who was not the intended market of ruining this for them.

If the mobile gamers were coming out in droves and downvoting - you'd have a point.

But again put it all into perspective and their actions make sense
    You keep repeating this argument mate. But a Hard Rock band has a Hard Rock fan base. There is no evidence that shows mobile gamers would even like Blizzard, let alone become fans. That's like Slayer announcing they are changing genre to Pop and then Slayer fans burn down the stage and you say well they are just Hard Rock fans and their opinion doesn't matter we should seek Pop fans' opinions now. Well Pop fans don't give a fuck about Slayer. Slayer should work really hard to create a fan base among the Pop crowd and that hasn't happened yet. 

The only people who care about Blizzard, who would purchase Blizzard's product, heck even know who the hell Blizzard is, are overwhelmingly disappointed with this announcement. The mobile gamers fan club opinion does not matter, they can't come out, because they are imaginary! They don't exist yet. And there is no evidence that Blizzard would become successful in that market besides hopes and dreams. 

And yes, Blizzard guessed there would be a bit of disappointment. That's why they dehyped the announcement a while ago and had some smart-ass comments ready for this situation. But let's not forget that we are talking about a company that has been riding their fans with EVERYTHING they have put out there for 2 decades without an ounce of originality nor creativity in the last one. They consider themselves as Apple for gaming. They believe they had a cult following them and they could feed them everything they make, at any price - Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm ingame shop is the testament of that. So yeah, maybe they didn't expect their supposedly dying fans turn against them like this. 
    laserit[Deleted User]Slapshot1188kjempffPhryMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    All I have to say is....called it!
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    DMKano said:
    laserit said:
    DMKano said:
    So they just keep reloading that video until they get a response they like? niiiice and apparently deleting negative comments. Finally done with Blizzard

Again - if you worked for Blizzard marketing team you would be doing the same thing.

The downvoting is being done by a  PC crowd - not mobile gamers - which Blizzard is well aware of so yep - they will keep doing whatever it takes to minimize the pissed off mob who was not the intended market of ruining this for them.

If the mobile gamers were coming out in droves and downvoting - you'd have a point.

It's called "damage control" 
    It is and ever company has a damage control team.
    When you need to call in the damage control team, it pretty much means you fucked up.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Do you think Blizzard's cache has somewhat diminished as a result of this announcement?
    Chamber of Chains
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    DMKano said:
    Oh they knew

They would have walked off stage if they were so shocked and blindsided. But no they had a quick come back - you guys have phones right?

lol - nice

So yes - even those guys were well aware that this was gonna go as well as a turd in a punchbowl
    Just because they were not ignorant of the backlash does not mean they aren't stupid for doing it.  Especially with that response.  

Even worse than "you think you want it, but you don't".
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

You keep repeating this argument mate. But a Hard Rock band has a Hard Rock fan base. There is no evidence that shows mobile gamers would even like Blizzard, let alone become fans. That's like Slayer announcing they are changing genre to Pop and then Slayer fans burn down the stage and you say well they are just Hard Rock fans and their opinion doesn't matter we should seek Pop fans' opinions now. Well Pop fans don't give a fuck about Slayer. Slayer should work really hard to create a fan base among the Pop crowd and that hasn't happened yet. 

The only people who care about Blizzard, who would purchase Blizzard's product, heck even know who the hell Blizzard is, are overwhelmingly disappointed with this announcement. The mobile gamers fan club opinion does not matter, they can't come out, because they are imaginary! They don't exist yet. And there is no evidence that Blizzard would become successful in that market besides hopes and dreams. 

And yes, Blizzard guessed there would be a bit of disappointment. That's why they dehyped the announcement a while ago and had some smart-ass comments ready for this situation. But let's not forget that we are talking about a company that has been riding their fans with EVERYTHING they have put out there for 2 decades without an ounce of originality nor creativity in the last one. They consider themselves as Apple for gaming. They believe they had a cult following them and they could feed them everything they make, at any price - Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm ingame shop is the testament of that. So yeah, maybe they didn't expect their supposedly dying fans turn against them like this. 

The thing is mobile gamers don't have favorite companies that they follow - yes I am talking about majority of mobile gamers. 

So no mobile gamers dont' care about Blizzard because they don't care about any company - it's of no interest to them - what they care about is just mobile games that happen to be popular.

So did Blizzard disappoint it's own fanbase - yes. Did they know about it - yes. When Blizzard trains the presenters before Blizzcon - they go through all kind of mock up scenarios - those definitely include being booed or negative reactions in general. 

Will any of this impact their bottom line - IMO - nope. This singular event (talking about Diablo Immortal reveal) is not something that will make or break the company.

Is this whole thing overblown - majorly.

In the end - it's business as usual - this thing will blow over in a week or 2, and once Blizzard decides to reveal the next PC version of Diablo - all will be forgotten.

Meanwhile the mobile gamers will be blissfully unaware of Blizzard, or anything else because none of that means anything to them.

Maybe... maybe not.

In a few more years Diablo's reputation might be one of a shitty cash grab mobile game.

DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Oh they knew

They would have walked off stage if they were so shocked and blindsided. But no they had a quick come back - you guys have phones right?

lol - nice

So yes - even those guys were well aware that this was gonna go as well as a turd in a punchbowl
    Just because they were not ignorant of the backlash does not mean they aren't stupid for doing it.  Especially with that response.  

I actually really liked it - but then again - I am not watching this a disappointed PC gamer - that's not my mindset. 

I think it's actually a pretty snarky remark - it's like "hey we know you guys hate this - but we don't care - you do have a phones don't you" - hahahah that's just cold 

The response was not really meant to change anything - as they knew - no matter what they said they were not going to change anyone's mind, they audience was going to remain pissed off no matter what.

So they decided - hey instead of being miserable - might as well have some fun with the angry mob "you guys have phones right?" 

Classic

How to destroy a brand

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    DMKano said:
    Oh they knew

lol - nice

They didn't know. One of the presenters was freaking CRYING...

The level of absurdity you are going to defend this company is quite amazing.  I am going to go and check Scott Hartsman's LinkedIn and see if he's joined Blizzard.

kjempffMrMelGibson

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    What emulators/app players are for!

Can't wait!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Oh they knew

lol - nice

I actually really liked the way Blizzard handled this - they were in a no win situation. But then again - I am not watching this a disappointed PC gamer - that's not my mindset.  I know it's only a matter of time before we get a proper PC Diablo game - might be 7 years from now but it will happen.

I think it's actually a pretty snarky remark - it's like "hey we know you guys hate this - but we don't care - you do have a phones don't you" - hahahah that's just cold 

The response was not really meant to change anything - as they knew - no matter what they said they were not going to change anyone's mind, they audience was going to remain pissed off no matter what.

So they decided - hey instead of being miserable - might as well have some fun with the angry mob "you guys have phones right?" 

Classic

What fucking planet are you living on?   This is just totally disconnected from reality man.
    MrMelGibson

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    DMKano said:

But also finding a job as a CEO is 100x more difficult than finding a job as an animator.
    Especially when you're a failure.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited November 2018
    I do not have a phone that can run this, neither does anyone else in my circle, actually. I do a have laptop and PC that could run a new Blizzard PC game, shame there isnt any.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    DMKano said:
    So believe it or not - Hartsman doesn't look bad in the eyes of those who would give him a job.

Yes he does.
    Slapshot1188
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    DMKano said:
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Oh they knew

lol - nice

I actually really liked the way Blizzard handled this - they were in a no win situation. But then again - I am not watching this a disappointed PC gamer - that's not my mindset.  I know it's only a matter of time before we get a proper PC Diablo game - might be 7 years from now but it will happen.

Classic

A lot of people in and connected to the industry think this way Kano. I'm sure a bunch got a huge laugh out of that subtle "fuck you".

And that's why Trion and SoE are dead, like the companies that will follow them, unless they have a change of heart and mind. The last laugh is the best laugh. Have your laugh now while you can and watch all that burn down around you. Keep saying, this is fine.

Gamers are an odd and fickle demographic. Tomorrow we could all love Blizzard, if they do an about face and start making good games again. Or they could end up burning in a dumpster fire if the don't. Gamers generally rebel against belligerent interaction. Blizzard in a word is the definition of belligerence.

The belligerence is due to the current state of the video game industry. There's not a lot of happiness for video game devs at this point.

I think the trend of game devs leaving the industry for good will continue - because what most are realizing is that it's just not worth it to stick around.

The truth is - the devs are not happy anymore, not at Blizzard, not at Square Enix not even at CD project RED nor Epic.

So yes more companies (especially smaller ones) will meet the same fate as Trion and SoE - this won't stop, more devs will leave the industry and never come back.

This article nails it
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/318588/The_great_video_game_exodus.php

"Truthfully, I don't love my work anymore. But my life has been so much more comfortable. Ultimately, leaving the game industry was the right choice."

Perhaps this is just the natural ebb and flow of things - sometimes you have to burn it all down to have a fresh start.

But lots of my friends in the game industry are very much in the "leaving and never coming back" mode right now. They are just fed up and would happily take jobs that they don't like as much - but bring them a better life/work balance.

Ultimately - the gamers are the ones who lose as the end result of all this - less MMO devs - less MMO games.

That was such a sad article. I would not want to work in an industry like that. I think something has gotta give soon as far as these poor workers go in this industry.
    Chamber of Chains
    Any game developers wanting to try their hand in the wonderful world of precision metal fabrication can give me a call ;). It's very difficult to find skilled employees these days and in that I'm 100% serious.
    Iselin[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DMKano said:

I call it manipulation. And I love Blizzard.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    SBFord[Deleted User]PhryCazriel
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    DMKano said:

I call it manipulation. And I love Blizzard.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    If only my Pixel 2 mobile phone had a YouTube app that would let up and downvote videos. Then, as a mobile user I could voice my opinion. Dang, it's only on PCs that people can vote, eh?
    I mean manipulation from Blizzards side in case that wasn’t clear ;)  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Cazriel said:
    Gotta to ask cuz I don't know.  Is mobile gaming big in China?
    Mobile gaming is minimal risk max profit. Corporate types love this crap. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]PhryOctagon7711MrMelGibson
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited November 2018
    I call bullshit. 

The user base that took Blizzard to the mega corp it is are not people who would get hype about a mobile re-skin of an older version. There are no "mobile gamers" there is only a mobile user base. If Blizzard desired to fleece the mobile user base,they could have done it without the dramatics that target their die-hards.

They thought the base wanted this. They invested in the reveal. They were confident. They were wrong.

People being consumer drones has nothing to do with it. Sure it will likely do well on sales day because compulsive mobile purchase people and FOMO (fear of missing out), but they have a 1:32 ratio of positive to negative sentiment. Blizzard got their ass kicked on this in plain view, and the fans don't forget.

So here's to hoping the uptick in revenue was worth the marketing diarrhea they now have in the bed

Do remember EA/Bioware/Mass Effect debacles...
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    PhryCazrielNordicApacheMrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    For a second I was thinking it was a mistake to announce it at Blizzcon, but now I don’t think it was. They have every right to and they have every right to make any games they feel like making. You don’t have to support the games they make, but the reactions are ridiculous.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]IselinNordicApache
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    DMKano said:
    Oh they knew

lol - nice

It is funny how you keep trying to spin this.
    To most everyone else, he might as well have said "well go f.. yourselves"

Not saying that is what he meant, but in the heat of the moment that is what it sounded like. My guess is that they were genuinely surprised by the reception. If they were ready for a shitstorm, then they wouldn't do the stupid thing of trying to censor youtube comments either - That is a typical panic reaction.
    SwampySackCazrielRexKushmanMrMelGibson