Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Immortal

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,069
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, nobody here is saying their move does not make sense @DMKano
    We are saying we dislike it.

They have their right to opt to pull some candy crush fiscal year carnival move...

And we have the right to dislike it because as fans of their IPs it does not take our desires in consideration.

I don't get your point in trying to see their side. We know their side: Money. Edit to add: We just expected more from them. Because we like them. Such cheap move is something below them.

I am saying that us disliking it has zero impact on Blizzards bottom line in case of Diablo mobile.

This is literally none of Blizzards concern - they knew that Diablo mobile would have zero appeal to your average Blizzcon patron - these are not your mobile players.

They still chose to announce it at Blizzcon because they lose nothing if the crowd was disappointed, so might as well do it.

Mobile players are often unaware of upcoming games because every day there's a huge number of them released. The ones that bubble to the top have huge marketing campaigns behind them - Blizzard can do that no problem.

People have every right to be upset about whatever they want - it's a bit delusional to think that Blizzard has any obligations to live up to everyone's expectations as far as what products they release.

The core issue is - unmet expectations create disappointment,  and that is not Blizzards problem, people have to manage their own expectations 

You think no one at Blizzard cares that this is happening?

I'm sorry but you're wrong. They are busting their balls right now trying to keep it quiet and minimize the damage. They would not be doing that if it didn't matter.

I am telling you that Blizzard knew about the backlash and was ready to do damage control months ago. 

Well, the stuttering and stammering guys on the stage that everyone could see were stunned by the crowd's reaction would beg to disagree with you.

Follow that up by the utter lack of simultaneous PR spin in the media and it's clear to everyone that this was NOT a reaction that Blizzard expected. 

Did they recently hire Scott Hartsman or something?

ConstantineMerusblueturtle13PhryNyctelioslaseritBeansnBreadNildenMrMelGibson

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,691
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:

They have their right to opt to pull some candy crush fiscal year carnival move...

And we have the right to dislike it because as fans of their IPs it does not take our desires in consideration.

I don't get your point in trying to see their side. We know their side: Money. Edit to add: We just expected more from them. Because we like them. Such cheap move is something below them.

I am saying that us disliking it has zero impact on Blizzards bottom line in case of Diablo mobile.

This is literally none of Blizzards concern - they knew that Diablo mobile would have zero appeal to your average Blizzcon patron - these are not your mobile players.

They still chose to announce it at Blizzcon because they lose nothing if the crowd was disappointed, so might as well do it.

Mobile players are often unaware of upcoming games because every day there's a huge number of them released. The ones that bubble to the top have huge marketing campaigns behind them - Blizzard can do that no problem.

People have every right to be upset about whatever they want - it's a bit delusional to think that Blizzard has any obligations to live up to everyone's expectations as far as what products they release.

The core issue is - unmet expectations create disappointment,  and that is not Blizzards problem, people have to manage their own expectations 

I'm sorry but you're wrong. They are busting their balls right now trying to keep it quiet and minimize the damage. They would not be doing that if it didn't matter.

I am telling you that Blizzard knew about the backlash and was ready to do damage control months ago. 

Well, the stuttering and stammering guys on the stage that everyone could see were stunned by the crowd's reaction would beg to disagree with you.

Follow that up by the utter lack of simultaneous PR spin in the media and it's clear to everyone that this was NOT a reaction that Blizzard expected. 

Apparently their master plan is to keep removing and re-uploading the video on YouTube to flee the negative votes and removing all the negative comments. I'm glad they were ready to damage control for months, otherwise they might've ended up doing something silly! 
    Slapshot1188blueturtle13mklinicPhryjdnewellNyctelioskjempffMadFrenchieTorvalNildenand 2 others.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,497
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:

Apparently their master plan is to keep removing and re-uploading the video on YouTube to flee the negative votes and removing all the negative comments. I'm glad they were ready to damage control for months, otherwise they might've ended up doing something silly! 
    The sad thing in Blizzard's mind is that they'll probably end up thinking people are disliking it just to see how many dislikes each get instead of disliking it cause its bad. I guess they can hire me for PR ideas if they haven't thought of that idea already.
    Post edited by Albatroes on
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,826
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:

Agreed. Kano is not correct about this. Blizzard honestly thought this would be better received. To think otherwise is naïve at best.
    Yes there is a ton of money in mobile and Blizz wants in on the action. Yet NetEase is doing all the heavy lifting on this title or did already with 'Endless of God' being what this title is.  

Blizzard completely dropped the ball with this and most of their IPs. 

Blizzard is a shell of their former self as are their titles.  
    SBFordConstantineMerusPhryNyctelioslaseritTorvalMrMelGibson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,691
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:

Agreed. Kano is not correct about this. Blizzard honestly thought this would be better received. To think otherwise is naïve at best.
    Yes there is a ton of money in mobile and Blizz wants in on the action. Yet NetEase is doing all the heavy lifting on this title or did already with 'Endless of God' being what this title is.  

Their recent 'dehype' is a testament to how low they have fallen. What other company has ever made an announcement to bar their fans of becoming excited about their upcoming product? The sheer lack of confidence was just pathetic. 
    TorvalMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:

Their recent 'dehype' is a testament to how low they have fallen. What other company has ever made an announcement to bar their fans of becoming excited about their upcoming product? The sheer lack of confidence was just pathetic. 
    Well, the hype "overdrive" did happen after this: https://www.mmorpg.com/diablo-3/news/multiple-diablo-projects-are-in-the-works-according-to-this-dev-update-1000049438#vanilla-comments

To be fair to Brack, he wasn't officially steering the ship at this point. This year was probably known to be a lackluster blizzcon year since probably last blizzcon, but they "had to hype it a little." Oddly, I only now know of 2 of the "multiple" diablo projects they were working on (maybe 3, I think the netflix thing got shelves?). Besides the mobile, the only other 1 I can think of is the comic. Was that really the "multiple projects" in the works?
    Phry
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 694
    Great a Diablo...nm, they lost me at mobile
    SBFordPhry

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, anything Dark Souls-like, Hearthstone, DDO
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    edited November 2018
    SBFord said:
    Yeah, that's about the time the official transition started if I recall correctly. I really dont know what they could've done if those were the only 3 projects they meant by MULTIPLE. It just feels like something is off to me, especially with Diablo the supposed focus of this blizzcon. They have more stuff today dont they?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    Albatroes said:
    I have a feeling that those guys are "choking" on the other projects that they know are in the works but aren't allowed to speak about. :/ I feel sort of sorry for the Diablo team.
    DragnelusMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RnjypsyRnjypsy Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited November 2018
    This announcement was bad enough, but the timing of it is just ludicrous. If Blizzard had made this announcement at a mobile con as an  offshoot project or as a lead in to a major expansion or new title there may have been some concern as to resources applied to developing it, but I think real objections would have been minimal.  Instead they chose to announce it to their core player base, primarily PC player base, who had paid for tickets and travel costs to hear this tone deaf and insulting reveal.  The whole thing is just so disappointing it makes my face tired.
    Post edited by Rnjypsy on
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member RarePosts: 5,819
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:
    I have a feeling that those guys are "choking" on the other projects that they know are in the works but aren't allowed to speak about. :/ I feel sort of sorry for the Diablo team.
    There are no other projects

If they even had a sliver of prototype for D4 they would mention it now to prevent loss of name.

If anything they are working on pre-production for something. But they are unsure what it will be or how it will play. So they can not announce nothing.

And even in best scenario it could not be released in 6-7 years from now

SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:
    Diablo Immortal - World and Q&A - 5:45 pm  to 6:30 pm pst

This would be worth the virtual ticket price after mobile's reaction.
    Slapshot1188
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,441
    Gorwe said:
    DMKano said:
    Gutlard said:
    I don't like mobile games even on the can.... If gaming goes totally mobile that's when I'll know it's time to hang up the joystick, and then put down the controller after leaving the can.  :o

Gut Out!
    Not a mobile gaming fan either but think for a minute on how many people world wide have gaming PCs, or Consoles, compared to how many own mobile devices.
    Pc is the most popular gaming device in other countries too. Its just Asian is such a huge population they skew the market in favor of mobile phones. 

You are forgetting that mobile is about to overtake PC - it may have already done it.

http://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile-tablet/worldwide

Edit - actually PC has been playing catch up - go PC!

Also look at places like India - 75% mobile vs 25% PC and India will overtake china by population in the next 7 years. Talk about a massive untapped market.

http://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile-tablet/india

Kano, what's the point of Blizzcon again? While pissing off people is one way of generating interest in new markets, it still doesn't fit what Blizzcon is about. At all. Plus, both Overwatch and Hearthstone would be better candidates for mobile than Diablo. And then there's always the new IP. So, again, what's the point of Blizzcon? Surely not to announce a mobile game nobody wants. It really should've been handled differently.
    Just want to point out that HearthStone has been on mobiles for over 3 years
    But its not only on mobile.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    Oh my -- saw this somewhere else where Steve Jobs was speaking about how companies can get "out of touch" with making good products. It's enlightening in this situation. 

Torvalblueturtle13PhryIselinSedrynTyrosMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 893
    Sorry to the people that went and paid to see that shitshow expecting real news for Diablo.
    I said weeks ago blizzard, despite enjoying their titles, were a shadow of their former self and got lol'ed, wtf'ed and booed to oblivion.

Who is laughing now?

No one. That's the point.

I worked for years in retail. When I was wearing said retailer uniform I wasnt me anymore. My gender, orientation, religion views, hobbies - gone. When I was wearing the uniform I was there representing the company and it's values - for better or worse. And that's why I got money in exchange for my time serving said companies.

Those devs are not working for free. They should be prepared to people pissing on them and do their job defending their project, with passion.

If they can't... Sargeras help us all.

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    edited November 2018
    https://clips.twitch.tv/CalmMoralAniseBrokeBack

(cant post them embed here for some reason)

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Looks to me like they finally ran out of idea's to steal from other companies. Would've thought if they're doing remakes they'd at least do a remake of the one original thing they ever came up with (Diablo). Also, maybe they can do a remake of the original bnet while they're at it, as it still even now shits all over the incarnation they're currently running.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Pass for me on mobile. What a terrible idea.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,185
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

I am telling you that Blizzard knew about the backlash and was ready to do damage control months ago. None of this is surprising to them - again because they know that 95% of Blizzcon crowd are not mobile players.

Blizzard cares greatly about things that would impact their bottom line - upset forum posters and blizzcon crowd - they weren't gonna blow money on a mobile game anyways - so Blizzard is like - Fuck it  - we'll manage the fallout but Diablo Immortal can still be a major cash cow for us.
    Which is precisely why Blizzcon is a weird place to make the announcement. They could have generated the same buzz with 1/100th of the negative fan reaction if they had chosen to do the reveal anywhere other than Blizzcon.

Expected or not the shitstorm of negativity they're getting is something you generally want to avoid.

Not necessarily - it might help Diablo Immortal catch the ear of mobile players - could be the ripple that Blizzard can magnify into a tidal wave with marketing dollars and get the game to the top of mobile charts.

A product announcement that upsets those who were never gonna buy it  - not really a bad thing. Creating a ripple in the news that will bubble up said product to the attention of  actual intended consumers - not bad either.

Ah dear DM Kano. I logged into account after year not posting just to answer this.

Mobile gaming market is made up of bored woman on the commute , 8-12 year old kids and people that have 2-3 minutes to burn.

None of them dont know or give a damn about Diablo in any way or form.

Entering mobile game with property like Diablo is huge gamble. Where Blizzard has much more to lose than to gain.

Up to now Blizzard was known for their quality. Their word was their bond.
    People bought their games in millions on launch just because it was known that Bilzzard knew exactly what players want and how to make it.

To be booed on live stage , during your own convention, that people payed lot of money to attend.
    Thats bad, even unheared of.

There is no price for spinning that. And surely not marketing something to unexisting populus.

Now that only leave us with China. It is a big question mark. Some say mobile gaming is the gaming in China, and Blizzard basically made this for them.

Again. As people said. They could just left that announcement for ChinaJoy. And Spin Diablo Mobile as side project in western media, and as exclusive focus in chinese media. And none would be the wiser.

Huge fail fail fail. That sounds like EAfication ,corruption of the marketing suits to the highest degree in Blizzard.

Basically people in charge know nothing about the games , but pretend they know all.

You Kano know what I am talking about very well

I do want to chime in on the demographics. For mobile gaming in general, they skew slightly male (~60/40) with the key demographic being 22-26. We are also seeing a solid core gamer that is willing to put down ~1k for a new phone every 2 years. This is all very similar to what we saw in PC decades ago, and is following a similar trend.

I dont disagree that Blizzard marketing blew this opportunity, and could easily have made this release less problematic. I would not say that this was done intentionally... it is just an indication that they are really out of touch with who they were presenting too. This is an industry problem, caused by development teams being too insular, and buying too much of their own hype.  However, you could point to the same problematic approach for other big companies as well (Apple for example). 
    Slapshot1188MadFrenchieTorvalMrMelGibson
    And their effort to keep reuploading the same video so the dislike/like count will be reseted to avoid backlash just shows how much their care for us.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,211
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:

Even as a PR fuck up - do you believe that this will have any impact on Diablo Immortal sales?

You do know that when a company knows something that doesnt mean that every single employee is given the privilege?

Blizzard higher ups probably laughed at the stammering and said "those poor bastards" I guess they didnt want to demoralize the presentation team hehe.

Blizzard knew about the backlash, obviously not everyone working there knew.

But hey Diablo Immortal will live or die by a how well Blizzard markets this globally - again the mobile masses dont know what Diablo and certainly completely unaware of any kind of a PR issue.

The thing is as usual the only people outraged here are those who are not the intended players - aka non-mobile players, so they pissed off the customers who would have never spent a cent on Diablo Immortal - yeah heh
    blueturtle13Trolldefender99
    edited November 2018
    Maybe this is the real reason Mike left. Not necessarily because of Diablo Mobile itself (since he obviously knew about this for 1-2 years), but the direction the company is going. Next year, they will announce WoW's next expansion more-than-likely while sliding Overwatch mobile in there. Couple that with having both existing people and having to hire new people that care more about a paycheck instead of the product. I think people who've interacted with Blizzard products from early wow and prior understand this a little better since you might've felt like the company you were buying stuff from were gamers first and a business 2nd.

I think, what's worse than all of this are the moderator post responses on each game's forum over the past year-ish. There was a joke thread about a month or 2 ago about Activision HQ being a raid in WoW, which had so many MvPs and a Blue just jumping on anyone talking about it, all saying the same thing "Activision does not influence the development of Blizzard games," like anyone with a brain can't tell that it obviously does. Who do you think Blizzard gets its developmental budget from....? Obviously, they dont tell Blizzard dev teams what to do, but if the word 'mobile' or 'pacing' is mentioned in a meeting, are we really supposed to be shocked at them announcing a mobile game or locked features?
    Phry