Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Immortal

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    147k downvotes, keep it up guys.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Mensur[Deleted User]

5players?  :D :'( :*

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2018
    The official forums are where it's at. There's a new negative topic appearing at 'least' every minute.. and I'm only looking at the EU one.

Also, they've uploaded 2 new unlisted trailers, for US and EU, that are identical to the original one so there's a fresh one without negative ratings linked through BNet and helps spread the negative ratings and comments over multiple videos. Scummy.

https://youtu.be/5iajnrdSj1o

https://youtu.be/XfW3n1rpbdE

They are not handling this well.. deleting comments and trying to hide the outrage. It's just going to make it worse.
    kjempff
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Tbh I will still try it  :#

DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, nobody here is saying their move does not make sense @DMKano
    We are saying we dislike it.

They have their right to opt to pull some candy crush fiscal year carnival move...

And we have the right to dislike it because as fans of their IPs it does not take our desires in consideration.

I don't get your point in trying to see their side. We know their side: Money. Edit to add: We just expected more from them. Because we like them. Such cheap move is something below them.

I am saying that us disliking it has zero impact on Blizzards bottom line in case of Diablo mobile.

This is literally none of Blizzards concern - they knew that Diablo mobile would have zero appeal to your average Blizzcon patron - these are not your mobile players.

They still chose to announce it at Blizzcon because they lose nothing if the crowd was disappointed, so might as well do it.

Mobile players are often unaware of upcoming games because every day there's a huge number of them released. The ones that bubble to the top have huge marketing campaigns behind them - Blizzard can do that no problem.

People have every right to be upset about whatever they want - it's a bit delusional to think that Blizzard has any obligations to live up to everyone's expectations as far as what products they release.

The core issue is - unmet expectations create disappointment,  and that is not Blizzards problem, people have to manage their own expectations 

You think no one at Blizzard cares that this is happening?

I'm sorry but you're wrong. They are busting their balls right now trying to keep it quiet and minimize the damage. They would not be doing that if it didn't matter.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Gutlard said:
    I don't like mobile games even on the can.... If gaming goes totally mobile that's when I'll know it's time to hang up the joystick, and then put down the controller after leaving the can.  :o

Gut Out!
    Not a mobile gaming fan either but think for a minute on how many people world wide have gaming PCs, or Consoles, compared to how many own mobile devices.
    Pc is the most popular gaming device in other countries too. Its just Asian is such a huge population they skew the market in favor of mobile phones. 

MurderHerd

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:

I am telling you that Blizzard knew about the backlash and was ready to do damage control months ago. None of this is surprising to them - again because they know that 95% of Blizzcon crowd are not mobile players.

Blizzard cares greatly about things that would impact their bottom line - upset forum posters and blizzcon crowd - they weren't gonna blow money on a mobile game anyways - so Blizzard is like - Fuck it  - we'll manage the fallout but Diablo Immortal can still be a major cash cow for us.
    Which is precisely why Blizzcon is a weird place to make the announcement. They could have generated the same buzz with 1/100th of the negative fan reaction if they had chosen to do the reveal anywhere other than Blizzcon.

Expected or not the shitstorm of negativity they're getting is something you generally want to avoid.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, nobody here is saying their move does not make sense @DMKano
    We are saying we dislike it.

They have their right to opt to pull some candy crush fiscal year carnival move...

And we have the right to dislike it because as fans of their IPs it does not take our desires in consideration.

I don't get your point in trying to see their side. We know their side: Money. Edit to add: We just expected more from them. Because we like them. Such cheap move is something below them.

I am saying that us disliking it has zero impact on Blizzards bottom line in case of Diablo mobile.

This is literally none of Blizzards concern - they knew that Diablo mobile would have zero appeal to your average Blizzcon patron - these are not your mobile players.

They still chose to announce it at Blizzcon because they lose nothing if the crowd was disappointed, so might as well do it.

Mobile players are often unaware of upcoming games because every day there's a huge number of them released. The ones that bubble to the top have huge marketing campaigns behind them - Blizzard can do that no problem.

People have every right to be upset about whatever they want - it's a bit delusional to think that Blizzard has any obligations to live up to everyone's expectations as far as what products they release.

The core issue is - unmet expectations create disappointment,  and that is not Blizzards problem, people have to manage their own expectations 

You think no one at Blizzard cares that this is happening?

I'm sorry but you're wrong. They are busting their balls right now trying to keep it quiet and minimize the damage. They would not be doing that if it didn't matter.

I am telling you that Blizzard knew about the backlash and was ready to do damage control months ago. None of this is surprising to them - again because they know that 95% of Blizzcon crowd are not mobile players.

Blizzard cares greatly about things that would impact their bottom line - upset forum posters and blizzcon crowd - they weren't gonna blow money on a mobile game anyways - so Blizzard is like - Fuck it  - we'll manage the fallout but Diablo Immortal can still be a major cash cow for us.
    I think it's worse than they would have anticipated. People said similar things to what you're saying about Battlefront II at first. Social media can get out of control in ways marketing teams can't predict these days.

It's already getting near the point where it won't only be gaming sites talking about it. Big fish like UniLad will be all over it soon, they probably have it on the agenda already, and then it won't just be the Blizzcon crowd and forums lurkers complaining about it.
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    edited November 2018
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

Which is precisely why Blizzcon is a weird place to make the announcement. They could have generated the same buzz with 1/100th of the negative fan reaction if they had chosen to do the reveal anywhere other than Blizzcon.

Expected or not the shitstorm of negativity they're getting is something you generally want to avoid.

Not necessarily - it might help Diablo Immortal catch the ear of mobile players - could be the ripple that Blizzard can magnify into a tidal wave with marketing dollars and get the game to the top of mobile charts.

A product announcement that upsets those who were never gonna buy it  - not really a bad thing. Creating a ripple in the news that will bubble up said product to the attention of  actual intended consumers - not bad either.

But the flip-side is annoying the fans that already, you know, give them money. I agree with Iselin that if they had intended this, they would have just released it as news instead of hyping it up so much about a new Diablo game if they honestly knew that this would be the backlash. Caching in on your existing playerbase to create a wave of discussion is definitely a viable and popular way to make money, but I just don't see Blizzard honestly being ok with it tainting the whole Blizzcon because that is what it has done. This will now be the Blizzcon where they announced the Diablo game everyone hated. So maybe they counted on some negativity but I doubt they expected this.

Edit: Especially after the problems with BfA
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

Not necessarily - it might help Diablo Immortal catch the ear of mobile players - could be the ripple that Blizzard can magnify into a tidal wave with marketing dollars and get the game to the top of mobile charts.

A product announcement that upsets those who were never gonna buy it  - not really a bad thing. Creating a ripple in the news that will bubble up said product to the attention of  actual intended consumers - not bad either.

The mobile market being as shitty as it is, Diablo WILL be at the top even if they did nothing but a whisper campaign lol.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,511
    Dragnelus said:
    Prvoking content again!! :pensive: 
    Dragnelus[Deleted User]

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

Ah dear DM Kano. I logged into account after year not posting just to answer this.

Mobile gaming market is made up of bored woman on the commute , 8-12 year old kids and people that have 2-3 minutes to burn.

None of them dont know or give a damn about Diablo in any way or form.

Entering mobile game with property like Diablo is huge gamble. Where Blizzard has much more to lose than to gain.

Up to now Blizzard was known for their quality. Their word was their bond.
    People bought their games in millions on launch just because it was known that Bilzzard knew exactly what players want and how to make it.

To be booed on live stage , during your own convention, that people payed lot of money to attend.
    Thats bad, even unheared of.

There is no price for spinning that. And surely not marketing something to unexisting populus.

Now that only leave us with China. It is a big question mark. Some say mobile gaming is the gaming in China, and Blizzard basically made this for them.

Again. As people said. They could just left that announcement for ChinaJoy. And Spin Diablo Mobile as side project in western media, and as exclusive focus in chinese media. And none would be the wiser.

Huge fail fail fail. That sounds like EAfication ,corruption of the marketing suits to the highest degree in Blizzard.

Basically people in charge know nothing about the games , but pretend they know all.

You Kano know what I am talking about very well

CazrieljimmywolfMrMelGibson

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Unfortunately while we on this site might dislike it, the overall numbers are going to prove that this is a lucrative decision for them. Mobile gaming is big money =/
    MrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Erinak1 said:But the flip-side is annoying the fans that already, you know, give them money. I agree with Iselin that if they had intended this, they would have just released it as news instead of hyping it up so much about a new Diablo game if they honestly knew that this would be the backlash. Caching in on your existing playerbase to create a wave of discussion is definitely a viable and popular way to make money, but I just don't see Blizzard honestly being ok with it tainting the whole Blizzcon because that is what it has done. This will now be the Blizzcon where they announced the Diablo game everyone hated. So maybe they counted on some negativity but I doubt they expected this.

Edit: Especially after the problems with BfA

Based on Wyatt Cheng's reaction, I'd say they were stunned at how badly this went over. 

China is about 25% of the mobile market, but, according to Chinese players on Diablo forums, they hate NetEase. 

Nonetheless, even if they thought it would be poorly received, they don't care, because the mobile market in China is so huge, it undoubtedly will make up for the pissed-off PC crowd. 

The insulting part about this is not that it's a mobile game.  Or that it's a notorious P2W developer.  Or that it's a reskin of half a dozen existing games.   It's that a major piece of Diablo lore has been exclusively developed for mobile and then announced like it was the greatest thing in the world to hardcore PC fans.  

It's giving Blizzard too much credit to imagine they thought this all the way through.  This was very damaging to them and unexpectedly so. 
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Yay!

Whod thought that big company like this (that recently made only silly card game, f2p moba, fan service F2P! pvp game with price tag) gonna fall even deeper...

LOLZ

P.S. Destiny 2 is free.  ^_^
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    DMKano said:

I have to disagree... they lose the good will of those willing to PAY to go to Blizzcon.

As for Diablo: Cashgrab, meh, wasn't a big fan of Diablo 3, so for me this just leaves more room in the PC ARPG market for the likes of Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Torchlight Frontiers and (hopefully) Lost Ark.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Dragnelus said:
    Well there you have it. You officially need only 5 players to be considered an MMO.
    MrMelGibson
    Gorwe said:
    DMKano said:
    Gutlard said:
    I don't like mobile games even on the can.... If gaming goes totally mobile that's when I'll know it's time to hang up the joystick, and then put down the controller after leaving the can.  :o

Gut Out!
    Not a mobile gaming fan either but think for a minute on how many people world wide have gaming PCs, or Consoles, compared to how many own mobile devices.
    Pc is the most popular gaming device in other countries too. Its just Asian is such a huge population they skew the market in favor of mobile phones. 

You are forgetting that mobile is about to overtake PC - it may have already done it.

http://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile-tablet/worldwide

Edit - actually PC has been playing catch up - go PC!

Also look at places like India - 75% mobile vs 25% PC and India will overtake china by population in the next 7 years. Talk about a massive untapped market.

http://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile-tablet/india

Kano, what's the point of Blizzcon again? While pissing off people is one way of generating interest in new markets, it still doesn't fit what Blizzcon is about. At all. Plus, both Overwatch and Hearthstone would be better candidates for mobile than Diablo. And then there's always the new IP. So, again, what's the point of Blizzcon? Surely not to announce a mobile game nobody wants. It really should've been handled differently.
    Just want to point out that HearthStone has been on mobiles for over 3 years
    Mensur said:
    Dragnelus said:
    Prvoking content again!! :pensive: 

MrMelGibson

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    We know you are always defending the industry, but maybe you should step out of this one gracefully?
    They messed up on this one, and by censoring cmments and trying to reset dislikes by uploading the same trailer again, they are only stepping in the pile and dragging it on the carpet.
    Slapshot1188
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Exposure might not produce desirable numbers from the start, but over time the exposure will make ten fold. So I disagree with some of the commenters. Gaming companies that have bad reputations rarely see a benefit, but they already dug their graves long ago. Mobile market isn't hard, but it can be confusing. Once a company has a bad reputation it is just a matter of time before they go belly up. Look at trends. Find out what gamer's want to play and how it works. Quit being so matter of fact, because eventually it is your downfall. We all need to pay attention to the niche we have created. Yes it is dying but so is the planet.
    MrMelGibson

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited November 2018
    So they are moving away from PC/console to mobile for profits? Meanwhile R2D2 opens with $750m and BO4 with $500m. Hmmm. 

Everything about this event screams how they got nothing original or creative left to offer. A relaunch, a remaster, and a mobile game or - The good, the bad, and the ugly! This ain't a blizzard, this is just a mild temperature drop. A pathetic one for sure.
    BossChono[Deleted User]laseritMadFrenchie[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    If we want to be fair, the problem is not Blizzard announcing the release of a Diablo version for mobiles; the problem is Blizzard not announcing anything else Diablo-related.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I only play on pc

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.