Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perhaps we can put away the torches and pitchforks

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
edited November 2018 in Ashes of Creation
At least for now.

I was able to find a short, hopefully accurate written summary of the video for those of us with real lives and it presents the Apocalypse announcement in a better light. (Streaming needs to DIAF)

As there will be rewards that can be earned in the BR which transfer to the main title, it could bring a horde of new gamers who are not currently backers to it at launch.

If they keep it entirely F2P using it strictly as a drawing tool for new customers to the main game, then really no harm, no foul unless they try to turn it into a money maker of course.

So I will stop heating up the tar and plucking feathers from the chickens.....for now

:D 

https://www.theaocdungeon.com/threads/ashes-of-creation-apocalypse-announced-31-10-full-stream-recap.307/

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

ConstantineMerusGdemami

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    If we don't speak up now, then what's the point? Is this not a game being built on community feedback, and a company that has said they like constructive criticism?

In just over one month's time they announced an easy to build game mode being used for testing that "MAY" not be implemented into launch. 

https://www.mmorpg.com/ashes-of-creation/videos/ashes-of-creation-live-stream-stress-test-news-and-battle-royale-mode-1000006217

And now, it's going to be it's own F2P game? This is EXACTLY the concern many of us had. 

They can promise how it's not going to delay the MMORPG side of development and how it's only being used for testing combat mechanics, but does anyone believe that for a second?

The issue has nothing to do with how this BR game is being monetized. The problem is... KS never mentioned a Battle Royale mode. For them to now (after selling millions in pre-order packages), use company resources on this new game -- when they were supposed to be focused on building an MMORPG for the next few years -- is a slap in the face to all of us KS backers. 

Finish the MMORPG first, then they can build whatever other game they want. 
    Slapshot1188Kyleranmmolou[Deleted User]GdemamiWaan
    --------------------------------------------
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited November 2018
    I'd have to agree with @Wellspring here.  In just a few weeks this went from:

• Being announced for the first time.  
    • Clarified to just be something quick and easy to implement for testing using no resources
    • Now it is billed as a standalone F2P game that everyone can join.

Come on...  

Edit to add:  Even if you believe the bullshit... it costs money to host these games.  How many players will join a F2P Battle Arena game?   How much will that cost?  Are those funds coming from the Kickstarter or at least from the main game budget?  Will even more resources be diverted to play balance and bugs in a BattleRoyale mode that has nothing to do with the MMORPG?

Any bets on when the first cash shop items for BattleRoyale come online?  Or that they get linked to the main game?

KyleranIselin[Deleted User]Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Yes. No pitchforks and torches. What we first need to do is determine DOES IT FLOAT?
    KyleranMadFrenchie[Deleted User]BossChono

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2018
    I'll not be at all surprised if they eventually decide to monetize the BR mode while still claiming it will be for "the good of the MMORPG."

Mendel[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Kyleran said:
    At least for now.

I was able to find a short, hopefully accurate written summary of the video for those of us with real lives and it presents the Apocalypse announcement in a better light. (Streaming needs to DIAF)

As there will be rewards that can be earned in the BR which transfer to the main title, it could bring a horde of new gamers who are not currently backers to it at launch.

If they keep it entirely F2P using it strictly as a drawing tool for new customers to the main game, then really no harm, no foul unless they try to turn it into a money maker of course.

So I will stop heating up the tar and plucking feathers from the chickens.....for now

https://www.theaocdungeon.com/threads/ashes-of-creation-apocalypse-announced-31-10-full-stream-recap.307/
    well, according to the official book of burning witches, he who defends the witch, is a witch!

BURN HIM!
    WellspringIselinKyleranJamesGoblin[Deleted User]Gobstopper3DSiug

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I know what's being said but I want to see what is shown.

But as @blueturtle13 said above, there's probably not enough there to make this BR a hit. That's some hope there for the fans of the original concept to cling to.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    If the BR feature is a hit (which I doubt) I would be very surprised if the mmorpg even came out at all. Would not be the first project to start as one thing and switch to BR in the end. 
    Poor Fortnite STW!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Kyleran said:

I hope the rewards from BR can also be earned in the actual game. I didn't back a BR game because I'm tired of them. I don't want to feel required to play BR simply because there is a weapon I want or a skin.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Interitus said:
    Kyleran said:

I hope the rewards from BR can also be earned in the actual game. I didn't back a BR game because I'm tired of them. I don't want to feel required to play BR simply because there is a weapon I want or a skin.
    I'm sure you will be able to buy them if all else fails :)
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Interitus said:
    Kyleran said:

I'm more concerned if the items can be earned in BR, they should be able to be earned in the MMO. I don't want to pay for something I can earn in the BR, because again, I didn't KS a BR.
    [Deleted User]
    Interitus said:
    Interitus said:
    Kyleran said:

I'm more concerned if the items can be earned in BR, they should be able to be earned in the MMO. I don't want to pay for something I can earn in the BR, because again, I didn't KS a BR.
    Actually... you may not have INTENDED to do so, but you have in fact Kickstarted a BR.
    Congrats!? 

WellspringMadFrenchiekitarad[Deleted User]Lokero

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       All Torches and Pitchforks are needed in the BlizzCon thread .....Thank You

This has been a public service announcement
    mmolouWellspringceratop001kitarad[Deleted User]Gobstopper3D[Deleted User]SpottyGekko
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Amathe said:
    Yes. No pitchforks and torches. What we first need to do is determine DOES IT FLOAT?
    Torches and pitchforks are so medieval.  Let's use pool noodles and bics!
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    The thread starts by insulting people. Then it proposes that F2P BR will attract people to the the main game?

Am I understanding this right?

This seems all fine and dandy but the majority of us smell bullshit. My opinion is they need money bad, and they are trying to raise capital in some futile attempt to save the game. Granted I don't have proof. I can go by the history of kickstarter games and make a fairly reasonable assumption. Fairy tales are fun to believe in I guess...
    Kyleran

t0nyd said:
    Creating a BR game first seems like a good idea to me. I would want to nail combat down first and foremost before creating a game around it. 
    Yeah because 1-1 Rattle Royale combat is exactly what group-based MMORPGs should be based on.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Interitus said:
    Interitus said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually... you may not have INTENDED to do so, but you have in fact Kickstarted a BR.
    Congrats!? 

This made me chuckle out loud. Well said. :lol:
    Slapshot1188
    --------------------------------------------
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    The thread starts by insulting people. Then it proposes that F2P BR will attract people to the the main game?

Am I understanding this right?

This seems all fine and dandy but the majority of us smell bullshit. My opinion is they need money bad, and they are trying to raise capital in some futile attempt to save the game. Granted I don't have proof. I can go by the history of kickstarter games and make a fairly reasonable assumption. Fairy tales are fun to believe in I guess...
    If you think my OP was insulting than perhaps internet gaming forums aren't for you. 

May I suggest Pinterest perhaps? 

• GigabearGigabear Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited November 2018
    On second thought, I think I should indeed dispense with the torches and pitchforks. 
    Post edited by Gigabear on
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited November 2018
    Kyleran said:
    I'll not be at all surprised if they eventually decide to monetize the BR mode while still claiming it will be for "the good of the MMORPG."

I couldn't agree more with that option.
    Have the BR suckers fund our Main Game (That's actually really really orgasmic) !
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

erevus said:
    Kyleran said:

Have the BR suckers fund our Main Game (That's actually really really orgasmic) !
    Just how Fortnite BR is funding the main Fortnite... oh wait :)
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Slapshot1188SpottyGekkoSiug
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Iselin said:
    erevus said:
    Kyleran said:

You just need to be more positive and flexible nowadays in order to get what you want.

Fortnite was never introduced as an actual MMORPG game.
    Kyleran
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

erevus said:
    Iselin said:
    erevus said:
    Kyleran said:

You just need to be more positive and flexible nowadays in order to get what you want.

Fortnite was never introduced as an actual MMORPG game.
    Whatever the original Fortnite is or isn't it was the original game until they came up with the BR mode for it. It was the huge popularity of that BR mode that prompted Epic Games to focus on the BR mode and totally neglect the original game.

You better hope that the F2P Ashes BR mode doesn't become a hit :)
    KyleranGdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    For all of you that have anger stemming from being a Kickstarter backer, there is a lesson to be learned here. Stay off of Kickstarter. 
    edited November 2018
    TimEisen said:
    Gotham by gaslight. Kyleran said:
    At least for now.

What makes business sense and what makes backers happy are, most often, not one in the same. From AOC's POV they see a more profitable business path. From the backer's POV they feel they were sold one thing and got swerved. Both are right. Such is the story of crowd funded gaming. If anything this crowd funded thing has been a thorough lesson in marketing and business.

Dear humans, most businesses will tell you anything to get your money, once they have it you are less important than the person they don't yet have. They will do whatever it takes to acquire more, especially since the first buyers tend to be the most loyal.
    But I think the most frustrating part is that they wiggle their fingers, use the Jedi mind trick, say "these plans have not changed" and a core group of diehards will actually believe it and evangelize all over the forums.

I think a better approach would simply have been:

We see an opportunity to market a BR version of Ashes.  This is good for us because it will (hopefully) give us an influx of cash.  It will take some resources, but given that influx of cash we should be able to off-set that by hiring more developers.  
    This is good for YOU because it means we will become more stable revenue-wise and we won't have to bleed you dry for every last cent you own!

We know this can raise some concern about a change in focus, but ASHES is our DREAM game.  ASHES always has and always WILL be our focus.  The BR game is just a means to accomplish that. We will keep you looped in every step of the way and if our target dates should slip (which we DO NOT ANTICIPATE) we will pro-actively inform you up front.  As a matter of fact we pledge to give you an updated schedule each and every month to make sure that you have the latest information!

KyleranMendel[Deleted User]