Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fact check: People say WoW is dying and losing players in BFA

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited October 2018
    *Sees OP's screen name.*

inappropriate cartoon network GIF

MrMelGibson

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Died long time ago to me after the nerfs to mage that were never reverted, and insane talent changes Old WOW was the best WOW.

Only thing that will make me go back is a complete World OF Warcraft 2 on a completely new game engine similar to Black Desert and realistic character models.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Tich is one of the most over populated servers for the US realms. Plus cross server fills those areas in even more. 

Wow is dying a slow death by a thousand cuts. They might milk a few more expansions out of it, but at the end of the day the game is just boring anymore. People are finally waking up to the fact that dumb down theme park MMOs with zero community just ain't that fun. 
    MrMelGibson
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    edited October 2018

This was WOW in it's heyday. I see nothing like this in game. I rarely see more that ten players on screen at one time anymore. 
    Powermike

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    People are saying that for as long as they've been around they've never seen so much "I'm quitting/unsubbing" as now, but I guess we should also take into consideration that the Devs got rid of the Survey when closing your sub for a while (Still?), so peeps were posting on the forums instead.

As an aside, I've always wondered why Undead can't pick the body types of all race. I'd roll an Undead Tauren missing an antler with part of his face ripped off...

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    This... isn't a good representation of what the perceived goal is.  Those screen shots look barren compared to WoW years ago.  On low population realms.

Now I'm actually starting to believe that the population is at an all time low.  Which is scary, since I didn't think it could dip below WoD.

d_20
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Showing screen shots when Blizzard uses sharding in their game.....win. That means, the only thing a server is good for is the AH since that is server based. Regardless if you're in a town or out in the world, you're always grouped with people from different servers in that region to keep population numbers 'stable.'
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2018
    Catalysm was indeed the begining of the population decline in WoW, although there was some spikes due to an expansion launch, population dropped rapidly to even lower levels than before the patch. BFA is already showing signs of people leaving in the first months at a fast pace.
  • ZhenoxZhenox Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Fact: It is in fact still very popular

Source: These shots taken inside the game itself just minutes ago on Tichondrius, not even peak time/day of play time. This is just one area of the game. Other areas of the game have people everywhere, but I do not feel like having a thread of every single area of multiple parts of that area makes for a good forum post. If this was an actual website article, I would put up a lot more screenshots of how crowded everywhere is.  

Bwahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaha.

If you want to actually see populated server. Go to WOTLK Warmane server which has 12000 people in server and another 1k sitting in Q.  You know i'm gonna pop in and post some fucking pictures. 

Oh, btw, WoW Cross-realm was it that all about? 

Oh, btw, Blizzard not releasing any population statistics? What is that all about?

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    It s doing great people just want to see the king fail. Is it as good as it was, no, nut still way ahead anything else.
    edited November 2018

And btw, people are actually doing something important today, cause this area is usually packed on weekdays, when most people are not doing raiding. VOA 10/25

And btw, RDF is really shit in this server rarely they do it. 
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Um, did it occur to anyone that starting this thread with those screenshots is just OP doing another troll-job?

d_20 said:
    Um, did it occur to anyone that starting this thread with those screenshots is just OP doing another troll-job?
    He might have tried to do a troll-job, ended up doing blow-job to blizzard. 
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Tich is one of the most over populated servers for the US realms. Plus cross server fills those areas in even more. 

Wow is dying a slow death by a thousand cuts. They might milk a few more expansions out of it, but at the end of the day the game is just boring anymore. People are finally waking up to the fact that dumb down theme park MMOs with zero community just ain't that fun. 
    Honestly I am surprized it took them this long. I've pretty much given up on the mmorpg genre for the last 4-5 years as every "new" mmorpg is just another themepark for the most of them anyway. I keep up to date with whats coming out, maybe tried a few, but they are unable to hold my interest. If wow does die, maybe devs will finally stop making carbon copy clones of it and start trying their own thing like oldschool mmorpgs used to.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I see lots of peeps on my screen, we just all have different server names now...  >:)

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

edited December 2018
    FINALLY!!!! BFA MIGHT BE ABLE TO BE SAVED (the azerite system at least). In their latest Q&A, Ion said the heart of azeroth will get permanent power progression (heart will get a trait thing I guess similar to artifact weapon progression) in 8.2 with the armor from 8.2+ having all the traits unlocked and the heart level will just increase the potency of the armor traits. Problem is.....that's 6~ months away....yay....
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Albatroes said:
    FINALLY!!!! BFA MIGHT BE ABLE TO BE SAVED (the azerite system at least). In their latest Q&A, Ion said the heart of azeroth will get permanent power progression (heart will get a trait thing I guess similar to artifact weapon progression) in 8.2 with the armor from 8.2+ having all the traits unlocked and the heart level will just increase the potency of the armor traits. Problem is.....that's 6~ months away....yay....
    That does sound better than the current dogshit system.
    Nothing is permanent in WOW
    [Deleted User]
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Scorchien said:
    Albatroes said:
    Everything is rented. The first MMO where you RENT features and game/class mechanics. 

So blizzard did do something no other MMO has done. The first rentable MMO.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:
    Albatroes said:
    Everything is rented. The first MMO where you RENT features and game/class mechanics. 

well all games have changed in that regard some more than once ..
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I LOL'd so hard when I read Tichondrius...one of the most populated servers since the dawn of the game. 

Someone else was saying that WoW could lose 50% of its playerbase and it would still have 1 million more subs than any other game out there. <-- HA! Even bigger LOL

FFXIV is extremely close to WoW actually in terms of sub count. Many WoW players have transitioned over to FFXIV especially after BFA. 

The only true statement that beyond a shadow of a doubt can be said is, "WoW could lose 50% of it's playerbase and it still would not be a dead game".

It could even be a 75% loss of playerbase and not be dead, per say.

All I know is that I have never heard the WoW community as a whole be so vehemently opposed to a major portion of the systems in the game currently. Nor have I seen so many voices be so united in clamoring for Classic across multiple YouTube videos, the comments, these forums, the WoW forums, Reddit, and Twitter.

In the end only time will tell. Oh and let's not forget that Activision is currently doing a not-so-sneaky take over of Blizzard and changing how things are being run from the top, down. So, we never know if playerbase only comes down to lets say 1 million subs left and Activision says, "Nope, servers cost too much to maintain cause we've grown the network to accommodate 12 million. Shut-er down!" 
    edited December 2018
    Rukushin said:

FFXIV is extremely close to WoW actually in terms of sub count. Many WoW players have transitioned over to FFXIV especially after BFA. 

I'd love to see these numbers.

Scorchien said:
    Albatroes said:

Isn't an mmo in itself the definition of renting? You pay for access to a game and its servers, you never own anything in regards to it, so something like ultima online or everquest etc would've been the 'first rentable mmo.'

As for the 'permanence' it was more in regards to the current system, never aimed at lasting past the current expansion. With the current azerite system, we keep having to unlock the same stuff we've unlocked at lower tiers to get 'stronger' versions of it, which has always been a retarded idea. At least with the artifact, once we put AP into our weapon we gained something for the duration of the expansion, not having to worry about losing it and regaining it. With how 'fast' Ion addressed this though, it sounded like this was always the plan, just like azerite vendors, but they were trying to stall it out like usually. Its just sad seeing the game devolving more and more into content that maximizes playtime gains just to appease Activision and not actual stuff that has substance. Gear has so many ways to be gained coupled with wf/tf, it just makes content pushing pointless if you have enough luck.

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Rhoklaw said:
    Actually, WoW is dead and has been for a long time. Whatever game I was playing back in 2004-2008 no longer exists.
    The only FACT that doesn't need checking!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    btdt said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Actually, WoW is dead and has been for a long time. Whatever game I was playing back in 2004-2008 no longer exists.
    Facts pulled out of the darkest part of your opinion aren't facts! ;)
    Rhoklaw isn't wrong either though, the WoW of back then is not really present in todays WoW as things have really changed that much, its not just a matter of there being more content, the Character classes have changed, professions have changed, its all so much that the differences between then and now are total, todays WoW might have some visual similarities but thats pretty much it.
    Of course that is just my opinion, but it is based on observable evidence of what is present in todays WoW and my own memories of what WoW used to be, however faulty that may be. :/
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    btdt said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Facts pulled out of the darkest part of your opinion aren't facts! ;)
    Rhoklaw isn't wrong either though, the WoW of back then is not really present in todays WoW as things have really changed that much, its not just a matter of there being more content, the Character classes have changed, professions have changed, its all so much that the differences between then and now are total, todays WoW might have some visual similarities but thats pretty much it.
    Of course that is just my opinion, but it is based on observable evidence of what is present in todays WoW and my own memories of what WoW used to be, however faulty that may be. :/
    WoW isn't dead. That's a fact you can verify without much effort on the official site.
    True, but it doesn't mean both statements cannot be true as they are entirely conditional, although if Classic WoW does 'bring back' a particularly desired version of the game, then the 'dead' version that currently only exists on private servers, might again 'live' in a more legitimate fashion ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited December 2018
    Me and my friend from Blizz argue this non stop until we're blue in the face. He says according to the numbers they have available, the game is in fact actually growing.

I say the game has been dying since WoD. At least, in the area of the games I frequent, PvP, outside Durotar/Stormwind/GS for duels/world PvP, that part is 100% dying/dead lol.

There is an argument to be made that old school zones like that are dying because of all the new areas introduced.. but I'm not really buying it.

After WoD dropped, my friends list of about 90-100 people shrunk to about 2-4 active players, literally on launch day. And these are people who I had been playing with since 2010, and some have been playing since Vanilla, to me, that's proof enough.

I was very much an elitist by the end of MoP, raiding about 25 hours a week on two characters, a lot of us were concerned with the changes Blizz made later on to cater to casuals, the skill squish, removal of important ICD trinkets that had to be tracked, snapshotting, forced 20 man Mythics (aka.. Heroics, back in the day) when it was hard enough finding 10 competent players who could pull their weight, and then of course adding another a FIFTH difficulty for raid content, Flex, all of this made the game into a casual joke.

It would make sense if numbers were up, because everybody is able to compete with very little/no research/ involved, hardly any learning curve, and mostly everybody now gets carried by gear in order to clear content, but a lot of hardcore raiders and guild ended up breaking up and quitting for good after all of this went down.

Personally by the last day of MoP my one main Druid had 174 days played at max level, and I had a Rogue at around 60, and Priest around 30. Since MoP my Druid hasn't even ended an expansion at 15 days. I think she's at like 10 right now for this trash xpac, and I won't be resubbing.  :'( :(
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.