Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modern LoTR:O

13»

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,777
    Po_gg said:
    Dragnelus said:
    Does dying from cliff counts? I trusted my sister, was making some tea and putted follow on.
    I'm afraid it does (never trust anyone :wink: ). Not much loss though, no virtue or freebie Points for it, you only lost the title - which is just a shadow of its former value nowadays, compared to the early years where it was a real feat.

I think it was before the bridge, most people I know of lost their Undying either
    -at the first group quest while not noticing the little "small fellowship" mark, around level 12, the sheep rescue from the goblin camp or Prunella's umbrella (hobbits and their quests...), defending the shirrif from the brigands in Bree or saving the dwarf from the spider nest,
    -or bumping into a signature and not noticing / knowing the difference. In Ered Luin while doing the Rath Teraig missions, in Bree the Southern Barrow-downs, or even before at around level 14 in the Marshes the eastern part had signatures. Old Forest was a dangerous place too, with high mob density and fast respawn.
    Lots of places between 10 and 20 for a quick defeat :smiley:
    I started to think about all the places that were deadly in early Shadows. So many places to die. I thought through your list and started to add places and kept thinking of more and more.
    Po_gg
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Dragnelus said:

Some event started pretty croud, and im soo drunk. Thought dwarves could handle it.
    The Inn League quests are so fun. There is a quest where you drink a beer at each tavern. As you know each drink adds more screen effect and time. You have to navigate the circuit in the Shire with that screen effect. It's hilarious and a bit hard until you learn the route. Then it's a bit more manageable. Don't give up.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,102
    edited December 2017
    Torval said:
    Dragnelus said:

Some event started pretty croud, and im soo drunk. Thought dwarves could handle it.
    The Inn League quests are so fun. There is a quest where you drink a beer at each tavern. As you know each drink adds more screen effect and time. You have to navigate the circuit in the Shire with that screen effect. It's hilarious and a bit hard until you learn the route. Then it's a bit more manageable. Don't give up.
    Yeh quests are fun!

I have no idea what to do with the tokens.

Edit: Found it, cosmetic vendors :) 
    Post edited by Dragnelus on

• Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,753
    edited December 2017
    Dragnelus said:
    Edit: Found it, cosmetic vendors :) 
    Not just cosmetics, there are housing items and mounts too, plus some crafting stuff and essence removal too I think.

Since you just started and missed the Fall festival it is just a lucky timing they've switched it back yesterday for an encore event :wink:  will be on for 10 days, and then a few days of pause before the Winter festival starts.
    If you like those funny (and sometimes silly) festival quests then you'll have a treat with the winter one, the story of Frostbluff is great (maybe even better than the Haunted Burrow of this current Harvest festival), the theatric play is really fun (especially throwing bad apples to the actors, haha) and there's a snowball arena for some -mostly- harmless pvp fun.

If you did the Inn League initiation you might noticed that at the same time you got negative rep with the Ale Association - well, those guys are maybe a better fit for you roleplay-wise, since they are the dwarven version of a drunkard faction. Their initiation quest is active now as well (during festivals are switched on, you can join to those groups), it starts in the inn of Thorin's Hall.

A fair warning, those festival quests are easy and always on level, so even just a few days at festivals can fast overlevel you from your current standing, and turning your current list of quests grey. If you don't want to make your story / leveling experience over-easy, you might want to consider putting an xp-disabler stone in your pocket :wink:

But if that is not your concern (or even the opposite and you like to go fast), these times are handy for some easy levels. For example, if you're familiar with the layout of the Haunted Burrow, you can finish the quests there in about 10 minutes. That means 7 or 8 (if you do the Inn League / Ale Association quest there too) level-appropriate quest completion in 10 minutes, so at level 20 those are level 20 quests, and level 70 those are level 70 quests. With the same difficulty and 10 minutes overall completion time... :wink: and if you already have LIs, the quests give Item xp too. I know players who raise their alts during festivals...

And if you really like festivaling, they also switched on Hobnanigans for the weekend, that's a weird / funny sport event, kinda like a mix of hockey, golf and lacrosse - where the ball is a chicken :smiley:  It's pvp(-esque) like the snowball fight, with two teams (3vs3 or 6vs6), for cosmetic rewards, emotes and chicken (cosmetic) pets. Looks something like this: https://youtu.be/RUhn2ZOqshQ
    (kinship's name and language is a bit odd, Withy was an Eu english server...)
    Torval
    edited December 2017
    Torval said:
    I started to think about all the places that were deadly in early Shadows. So many places to die. I thought through your list and started to add places and kept thinking of more and more.
    Yep, the game was noticeably tougher back then. My first (and for years the last :wink: ) burglar character attempt ended up at the bandit camp (Adso's storyline in Bree-land) where I sneaked up to the bandit leader, with a nicely thought order backstabbed him and finished off with a few followup attacks - but in the meantime his adds showed up and wiped the floor with my corpse...

Same boss a few months ago on a same level hunter as that burg was: trap placed, one-shot the boss, one of the adds dies from the trap (c'mon...) and the other I kill with one (c'mon...) quick shot. With brawler games' term, flawless victory. And that used to be a tough fight at start...

(luckily as you reach higher levels, this OP mode, which is largely a result of the trait trees, is slowly fading away, but not entirely. All the way until Rohan the game is easier than it was 5-6 years ago *edit: and not even in the same league compared to the state at launch, 10 years ago)
    Scot
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,637
    Po_gg said:
    Torval said:
    Yep, the game was noticeably tougher back then. My first (and for years the last :wink: ) burglar character attempt ended up at the bandit camp (Adso's storyline in Bree-land) where I sneaked up to the bandit leader, with a nicely thought order backstabbed him and finished off with a few followup attacks - but in the meantime his adds showed up and wiped the floor with my corpse...

Same boss a few months ago on a same level hunter as that burg was: trap placed, one-shot the boss, one of the adds dies from the trap (c'mon...) and the other I kill with one (c'mon...) quick shot. With brawler games' term, flawless victory. And that used to be a tough fight at start...

(luckily as you reach higher levels, this OP mode, which is largely a result of the trait trees, is slowly fading away, but not entirely. All the way until Rohan the game is easier than it was 5-6 years ago *edit: and not even in the same league compared to the state at launch, 10 years ago)

I am doing everything while its mostly orrange on my Warden, thats quite undergeared and its fun...

looking back to early game, its a different game tough. the game has so much systems and details to get lost in.  The deed system gives you enough to get your teeth wet... 

there is 2 things this game could use... and thats an item that levels you down to the level of the area you are in. ... and a sliderto set game difficulty... but then i think thats something every game could use. To make all the area’s replayable.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

The slider is basically what you do (and a lot of people do as well) playing "under" the content a few levels. Unfortunately that only works on alts, if you try to do that at your very first gameplay you will miss a lot of stories and areas due to constant moving forward.
    (unless you use an xp-disabler, but that's not something a first-timer used to do, and rightfully so, might I add. It paints an odd image of a game to tell a new arrival: hey, welcome, use an xp-disabler or you will either outlevel everything or miss out a lot of content :wink: )

Downscaling item is not necessary I believe, you always can ditch the gear... the fun times when a bunch of hobbits killed the balrog with frying pans for the additional challenge :wink:  (they were overleveled obviously, that's why the no-gear approach)

Replay you can, or at least the story quests and not the entire area. In many areas there are replayable quests too, usually on daily cooldown.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    This game has a higher risk of being shut down than Wildstar. Which already has a pretty high chance already but its NCsoft special baby so they keep it running despite making less money and has less people than City of Heroes.

The question with LOTRO isn't how long it'll stay up, but how soon it will shut down. And that makes me not want to spend any time at all in it when it can shut down at any moment. Also daybreak games has a high record of shutting down many of their MMOs, even more so than NCsoft.
    people have been saying that for years.
  • HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited January 2018
    This game has a higher risk of being shut down than Wildstar. Which already has a pretty high chance already but its NCsoft special baby so they keep it running despite making less money and has less people than City of Heroes.

The question with LOTRO isn't how long it'll stay up, but how soon it will shut down. And that makes me not want to spend any time at all in it when it can shut down at any moment. Also daybreak games has a high record of shutting down many of their MMOs, even more so than NCsoft.
    people have been saying that for years.
    Game is outdated, not a lot of players, only last ones dreaming about a lotro2,
    a lot  of messages sent by gold sellers on the chan. I'm done. Played this game since the beta but it's time to switch.
    mmolouScot
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,387
    Always best to get the stuff when its on sale! There were some very good deals indeed over Christmas.

Having just re-read this - somewhat old - thread I think I will also add that mobs at 115 are .... more challenging. Not so bad when well geared but pushover isn't the word that springs to mind. Not sure whether I like the 115 "change" but that is another matter.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,320
    Also, Daybreak is an investment company. That is what its owned by, an investment company that has no positive motives to be in the game industry.
    No they are not owned by daybreak. daybreak is their publisher.
    TorvalScorchien

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 846
    Well, you're getting your progression server, but with current game systems....so what's the point?

My whining is spreading, sorry.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

Gutlard said:
    Well, you're getting your progression server, but with current game systems....so what's the point?

Gut Out!
    The point of a new server is to start a journey with new characters and players. It's like playing a new D&D campaign with some old and new friends with all new characters. You're still doing the same D&D stuff you did in the last campaign, but having adventures with new people starting afresh.

That alone can be a powerful and enjoyable experience.
    SovrathmmolouScotgervaise1

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,320
    Torval said:
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    The point of a new server is to start a journey with new characters and players. It's like playing a new D&D campaign with some old and new friends with all new characters. You're still doing the same D&D stuff you did in the last campaign, but having adventures with new people starting afresh.

That alone can be a powerful and enjoyable experience.
    That's pretty much it. It's a controlled way to focus the community and a chance to go through the early material with a lot people around.
    mmolou

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,083
    Po_gg said:
    Torval said:

All part of the move to easy mode, and they wonder why players in all MMOs get to end level really fast and then want to leave? The problem was that once enough MMOs started easy MMO levelling they all had to all do it, even though in the long run it was obviously going to be detrimental to the genre.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Po_gg said:
    Torval said:
    Baugarch (a warg) was the bane of Chetwood, used to be lethal if you ran across it while questing, now it is just another mob, shame really.
    ScotTheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
    Torval said:
    Dragnelus said:

There were no screen effects when I did them during the Harvest Festival and the impact of such heavy drinking was limited.
    Torval
    mmolou said:
    Po_gg said:
    Torval said:
    Baugarch (a warg) was the bane of Chetwood, used to be lethal if you ran across it while questing, now it is just another mob, shame really.
    With the - most recent - changes if you run across Baugarch at anything close to on-level it will be a serious fight. 
    Torval
    Scot said:
    Po_gg said:
    Torval said:

All part of the move to easy mode, and they wonder why players in all MMOs get to end level really fast and then want to leave? The problem was that once enough MMOs started easy MMO levelling they all had to all do it, even though in the long run it was obviously going to be detrimental to the genre.
    LotR's combat has had an overhaul. In some respects combat has gotten harder - boss fights in particular. Note: Po-og's comments were from 2017.
    Po_ggTorval
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 2,979
    GorweTorval

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, samsung evo 860 500gb SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

gervaise1 said:
    LotR's combat has had an overhaul. In some respects combat has gotten harder - boss fights in particular. Note: Po-og's comments were from 2017.
    Yep, looks like this thread is kind of a necro - I was surprised to see my name there :smile:
    Torvalgervaise1