Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. Impressions - Thriving in the Wastelands - MMORPG.com

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

Scarran said:

Going to give this one a miss at launch, I might pick it up later on sale or when they introduce the ability to create your own private server. Overall im not liking what im seeing so far to warrant me buying this one.

Too bad as I think you are selling the game short. I played in the Oct. 30 BETA on PC (yes, I was one of the lucky ones) and found that the game plays a lot like Fallout 4 except with other people. I personally played with 3 friends, would have been four except for the launcher issues. We had a blast. No pvp was forced upon us and we did not try to force it upon anyone else either. Although I accidently sent a shot at another player thinking he was a ghoul at one point...sorry. We made it through the first 10 levels and like I said had a blast.
    [Deleted User]

Let's party like it is 1863!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

In Mortal Online it was known as Blue Blocking.

it works here too cause everyone is wearing blue jumpsuits....HAHAHAHAHA!

oh man, this is going to be a disaster. blue blocking is cancer. i can't believe devs didn't see this coming. if it's pvp....and it can be exploited.... it WILL be. end of story.
    Slapshot1188
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    At lvl 5 you can put yourself in pacifist mode so your dmg won't initiate pvp

Welcome to the boards!

You don't have to buy white hankies in the cash shop for an hour of cowardly constructive PvE or anything like that? ;)
    ConstantineMerus
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:

thunderC said:

On PC, if you get 200+FPS (most noticeable at that) the game speeds up like you have a speedhack. So you can move super fast and do fast movement. Though I'm not sure if that goes with combat as well

here is the source

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9suwl5/unlocking_your_fps_gives_you_speed_hacks_just/

WTF !! This is huge. How does a game in 2018 have a bug like this ? Lately iv noticed games launching alot buggier then they use to, especially coming from Big studios such as Bethesda,Blizzard and Bioware. I'm not sure if its a case of games being much more complex then they use to be or the talent level ie people being hired are less then qualified to be working on them.

Bethesda using the same engine frankenworked over the years is the main issue. This same bug has been around since Skyrim. (same engine)
    Bethesda is a lazy nuts and bolts developer. They have good ideas and some amazing execution in certain areas but their ability to create an engine in good working order is and always has been suspect.  (Tying logic to Vsync? ugh)
    The community has always bailed Bethesda out with their single player games. It will be interesting to see how Bethesda reacts to the backlash they will receive from sloppy work in an online game with PvP like 76.

This is what I've been thinking on since they announced no mod support for the foreseeable future. Modders have always bailed them out. I'm thinking primarily of the Unofficial Patches that have been put out for Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, Fallout 3, NV and 4.
    While I imagine there are loads of people who don't bother with those patches, they all fix a load of things Bethesda can't be bothered with fixing... ever.

Now all the bugs will just languish there until there's enough of an uproar to maybe make them fix stuff.
    Kinda amusing... on the final (hopefully) use of the wheelchair bound Creation Engine, they'll have to put out the most bugfixing effort... or not. We shall see.
    see elder scroll online, they will do nothing
    I beg to differ the beta I played and the version I played a year or so later was vastly improved. OTOH considering how bad the game was in beta perhaps it could only have been improved meaning any progress would have been an improvement. :p
    Agreed. 
    ESO is a fine example of fixing many things wrong early on. Beta was bad but the game is considerably better now and has been for some time. 
    Shame Zenimax Online is not the same developer for TES or Fallout or Fallout 76 ;)
    I was going to say the same for Fallout 4, I played it a little over 2 years post release and have never loaded any sort of mod or patch from modders.

Played through fully 4 times and didn't really hit too many bugs, though there were still some of course, but nothing game breaking.

Biggest one was on my first play through although taking a decision the game clearly warned would make me forever an enemy of the BOS, nothing much happened other than I could no longer buy/sell stuff or get quests, and still had airship access.

This resulted in my accidently getting the "best" ending in the story line which it really shouldn't have.

On another play through the same decision really did turn BOS wrath on me in a huge way, which forced me to resolve by going scorched earth on them, which actually disturbed me and made the ending probably the least satisfying of the four tries.

Yeah FO4 was their best 'fix it' project of recent years.
    Their engine has aged horribly and with each passing year it amazes me how some of the same bugs and/or issues remain. Lazy attention to coding detail for sure. (poor producer leadership imo)
    I mean 8 or so hours into the game I got stuck in an elevator and had lost my progress. 

Patches have fixed many issues with many of their games but many fixes came from the work done by community patches first and Bethesda adding it to their patch list after that.

They remain in my opinion, the sloppiest big league developer in the world.   
    I'd put Funcom right up next to them, at least in the MMORPG space.

I was lucky, no progress breaking issues in FO4 that I can recall outside of freezing up a few times and having to restart.

Not a big issue as I'm a "save every 10 steps" sort of gamer (normally have well over 1000 in every play through)  
    I have never had an issue with a Funcom game but then I don't play until ages after launch. And it may well be modders fixing things but I think other gaming companies might learn from that. I have played Ubisoft games years after their release on the PC and found game breaking bugs.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:

thunderC said:

On PC, if you get 200+FPS (most noticeable at that) the game speeds up like you have a speedhack. So you can move super fast and do fast movement. Though I'm not sure if that goes with combat as well

here is the source

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9suwl5/unlocking_your_fps_gives_you_speed_hacks_just/

WTF !! This is huge. How does a game in 2018 have a bug like this ? Lately iv noticed games launching alot buggier then they use to, especially coming from Big studios such as Bethesda,Blizzard and Bioware. I'm not sure if its a case of games being much more complex then they use to be or the talent level ie people being hired are less then qualified to be working on them.

Bethesda using the same engine frankenworked over the years is the main issue. This same bug has been around since Skyrim. (same engine)
    Bethesda is a lazy nuts and bolts developer. They have good ideas and some amazing execution in certain areas but their ability to create an engine in good working order is and always has been suspect.  (Tying logic to Vsync? ugh)
    The community has always bailed Bethesda out with their single player games. It will be interesting to see how Bethesda reacts to the backlash they will receive from sloppy work in an online game with PvP like 76.

This is what I've been thinking on since they announced no mod support for the foreseeable future. Modders have always bailed them out. I'm thinking primarily of the Unofficial Patches that have been put out for Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, Fallout 3, NV and 4.
    While I imagine there are loads of people who don't bother with those patches, they all fix a load of things Bethesda can't be bothered with fixing... ever.

Now all the bugs will just languish there until there's enough of an uproar to maybe make them fix stuff.
    Kinda amusing... on the final (hopefully) use of the wheelchair bound Creation Engine, they'll have to put out the most bugfixing effort... or not. We shall see.
    I beg to differ the beta I played and the version I played a year or so later was vastly improved. OTOH considering how bad the game was in beta perhaps it could only have been improved meaning any progress would have been an improvement. :p
    Agreed. 
    ESO is a fine example of fixing many things wrong early on. Beta was bad but the game is considerably better now and has been for some time. 
    Shame Zenimax Online is not the same developer for TES or Fallout or Fallout 76 ;)
    I was going to say the same for Fallout 4, I played it a little over 2 years post release and have never loaded any sort of mod or patch from modders.

Played through fully 4 times and didn't really hit too many bugs, though there were still some of course, but nothing game breaking.

Biggest one was on my first play through although taking a decision the game clearly warned would make me forever an enemy of the BOS, nothing much happened other than I could no longer buy/sell stuff or get quests, and still had airship access.

This resulted in my accidently getting the "best" ending in the story line which it really shouldn't have.

On another play through the same decision really did turn BOS wrath on me in a huge way, which forced me to resolve by going scorched earth on them, which actually disturbed me and made the ending probably the least satisfying of the four tries.

Their engine has aged horribly and with each passing year it amazes me how some of the same bugs and/or issues remain. Lazy attention to coding detail for sure. (poor producer leadership imo)
    I mean 8 or so hours into the game I got stuck in an elevator and had lost my progress. 

Patches have fixed many issues with many of their games but many fixes came from the work done by community patches first and Bethesda adding it to their patch list after that.

I was lucky, no progress breaking issues in FO4 that I can recall outside of freezing up a few times and having to restart.

Not a big issue as I'm a "save every 10 steps" sort of gamer (normally have well over 1000 in every play through)  
    I have never had an issue with a Funcom game but then I don't play until ages after launch. And it may well be modders fixing things but I think other gaming companies might learn from that. I have played Ubisoft games years after their release on the PC and found game breaking bugs.
    You obviously didn't play Conan at launch. That MMO set the (low) bar for buggy releases... other than in Tortage that is - that part they did polish the crap out of because it was the only part accessible when they were having open betas and pre-selling it.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Gobstopper3D
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Phry said:
    Albatroes said:

here is the source

Yeah, I was reading about that today that your fps determines your character's physics.
    The gameplay is tied to the framerate, so if you unlock the framerate you get a 'speedhack' its a problem with the game engine that Bethesda have used, Polygon have even reported on it, but here is one from SidAlpha, looks like the problem is inherent to the game engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMKyVI1MgXs
    Seriously, to release a PVP game that is tied to FPS?

I..........I..........I***SIGH***

On one hand I am left speechless, on the other I recognize Bethesda's thumbprint.
    [Deleted User]Phry
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:

Do you do what I do? I hurry up and get through ArcJet so that I can get back to CPD and shoot Danse?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:

thunderC said:

here is the source

Agreed. 

I think that's because you were conditioned that way from the Bards Tale and similar games :)

Yup. Some of those old games tried to delete your save or something when you died (back in the 5.25 floppy disk days) so even though my PC had a whopping 20 Meg HD I would make floppy disk back up copies of the config and save files regularly to thwart such attempts.

Did I ever mention how much I loath losing progression?

:# 

Also, I enjoy facing a new situation and replaying it until I master it with the optimal solution or to get past an obstacle such as a high level rad scorp or death claw which can only happen if I land three critical head shots in a row, saving after each success and reloading until I succeed on the next. 

Hmm, I'm starting to understand why it takes me so much longer than most to complete games.

You should see the "fun" I have trying to overcome sentinels in NMS. (Run Forest, Run!!!)

Still haven't beaten those damn walkers....

Scowl.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I am the same I save like mad too every fight .
    Chamber of Chains
    edited November 2018
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:

thunderC said:

here is the source

Agreed. 

You obviously didn't play Conan at launch. That MMO set the (low) bar for buggy releases... other than in Tortage that is - that part they did polish the crap out of because it was the only part accessible when they were having open betas and pre-selling it.
    I don't play at launch, though it should have been better I avoid launches for that reason. I never really had a problem with bugs in Conan but then I started maybe six months after launch. Where as Ubisoft releases Assassins Creed and years after release when I played on the PC there where game breaking bugs in main quests in I think three AC titles now, solved them all but still a bit much.

I noticed the difference between Tortage and the rest of the game even 6 months down the line, after Tortage not buggy but still was an exercise in bare faced cheek. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    best $5 wasted on beta. Wow just saved money on buying the game. Game is very unpolished .No wide monitor support , graphics meh
    Kyleran
    Argh..tricked into clicking on a Twitter link...

Have to throw away this phone and buy a new one now.....

PsYcHoGBR[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusScotcheyaneanemo

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Believe it or not... so far having a decent amount of fun with my group.  It’s got some bugs and is hampered by some design decisions but we are having a pretty good time.  They really need a tutorial though.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusMadFrenchie

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Believe it or not... so far having a decent amount of fun with my group.  It’s got some bugs and is hampered by some design decisions but we are having a pretty good time.  They really need a tutorial though.
    So there may some hope down the road aways....

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

It does worry me.

Also, guys: how the hell you gonna let my terribad grammatical errors persist without calling me on it?  I sounded like a 10 year old in that post before I edited it just now!

Because people come down on you for being the grammar police. I've seen so many "should of" and "could of" I've just given up, anyway.
    MadFrenchie

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    You think our world looks more bleak than Roger Maxsons'? There's always hope mate you just need to put faith in the righteous.

Steel be with you!
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Kyleran said:
    Just wait until the game launches and then give it at least a couple of months to iron out the bugs. You start with a much better experience, sometimes it feels to me players who play too soon are almost fighting the game to play it. :)
    Kyleran
  • sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200
    After reading all those comments around, I was expecting a dull, broken game with no immersion. But the recent B.E.T.A. session has proved to me, that listening to vocal minority is a waste of time. I had so much fun during the session.
  • Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 965
    From what I have been reading, the game aside from the bugs, is fun with friends and meh without.  Although I did hear that exploration part of the game is really good, but once you have explored the whole map, then what?  I have heard more than one reviewer state the gun play is sloppy and that isn't good news for a shooter.

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.

Kyleran said:
    Yeah, although you should keep in mind that my perspective is from someone that never played a Fallout game before so I had no pre-conceptions about how it should play. This also hurts me though because it seems they expect people to have played the prior games when it comes to understanding how things work.  Luckily the rest of my group walk me through those items.

I still haven't figured out the whole CAMP thing... but just had the one night to play.  Won't get another chance until launch due to travel. 

[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    edited November 2018
    After watching the video from the first page it now looks to me this game is Bethesda's version of Fortnite, except the PvP is kind of disabled or tuned down. There's no way non-PvP'ers will play this game as it is at the moment (not even in the current care bear mode), but i can see a bright future for the game if they lift all restrictions for engaging PvP and turn it to Fallout:Fortnite.

It's yet another example of a modern game trying to reach market as wide as possible by watering the game down for everyone. FO76 is not a PvE RPG but it's not a proper PvP MOBA game either.

Come back to your senses Bethesda and make the game good for at least one group of gamers.
    edited November 2018
    deniter said:
    After watching the video from the first page it now looks to me this game is Bethesda's version of Fortnite, except the PvP is kind of disabled or tuned down. There's no way non-PvP'ers will play this game as it is at the moment (not even in the current care bear mode), but i can see a bright future for the game if they lift all restrictions for engaging PvP and turn it to Fallout:Fortnite.

It's yet another example of a modern game trying to reach market as wide as possible by watering the game down for everyone. FO76 is not a PvE RPG but it's not a proper PvP MOBA game either.

Come back to your senses Bethesda and make the game good for at least one group of gamers.
    We did not PvP at all.  At level 5 we turned on pacifist mode and never had a single PvP fight.  Much of our time was spent digging into the locations.  Clicking through the terminals to read the back stories, etc...

We saw one red-guy on the map very far away (yes it was marked on the map).  Not sure if he could have shot us if we encountered him.

Edit to add: Though I do wonder if PvP is the end-game...
    [Deleted User]

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited November 2018
    Tirent000 said:
    Well I spent my few hours conning people in an uncle Sam outfit with a bobble head. Note that if you do use the bobble head you are immune to headshots. After my 9th victum I had a horde of materials and crafted a 16 turret base inside a food factory that constily was under event that gave slot cool loot and experience It felt like lvling was fast I got to lvl 23 in the short time playing. The best thing is to get people to shoot you first and then pvp them and steal all there stuff. Quite hilarious that you can abuse a system so easy. Working in tandom with another you can bait shooting other people and Rob them blind. Low life and down right drama that enused is what makes gaming with others brings joy to how people come up with this. I can't wait to see what other people do or try to pull off for themselfs. I applaud and welcome it as well as this game is very well done. Where there is a will there is a way. I might seem evil or azzhole but it sure makes gameplay more interesting
    Seeing as Raiders are a huge part of the Fallout universe and Bethesda giving us the chance to role play one this is what I'm going to be doing.

I expect to be killed a lot just like raidres in the single player game. I just want to play the bad guy, maybe form my own raider gang. :)
    Kyleranbartoni33