Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlizzCon 2018 - Tempering Fan Expectations - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzCon 2018 - Tempering Fan Expectations - MMORPG.com

BlizzCon 2018 will be kicking off in about 24-hours. The annual convention is usually chock-full of exciting news about Blizzard’s stable of games. This year, however, fans are confused. For weeks starting in September, Blizzard has assertively sold BlizzCon to its fans and primed the hype train. Over the past couple of weeks, however, developers have started tempering players’ expectations leaving many to wonder, “Just what is there to be excited about during BlizzCon 2018?”

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2018
    Couple things we left out:

1) The pretty pathetic "rewards" for the Virtual Ticket. In years past, players received WoW Murloc pets and even a two-seater mount. This year, pretty much a whole lot of nothing.

2) All panels are 15 minutes shorter than in years past and the Virtual Ticket costs $10 more.

Just not feeling it this year. :C
    MensurSamhaelThupliCoolitOctagon7711[Deleted User]MadFrenchieYaevinduskScotty787Cazrieland 7 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited November 2018
    SBFord said:

1) The pretty pathetic "rewards" for the Virtual Ticket. In years past, players received WoW battle pets, Diablo Murloc pets and a two-seater mount. This year, pretty much a whole lot of nothing.

2) All panels are 15 minutes shorter than in years past and the Virtual Ticket costs $10 more.

Reminds me of the new packaging you get on a product you have used before only to find that only half the bottle is filled and the scoop is 2/3rds the size of the previous one.

I think Blizzard fans support their games like a religion. So the shortcomings will be forgiven.
    MensurSBFordJeffSpicoliSamhaelCoolitAzaron_Nightblademoshralaserit[Deleted User]d_20and 1 other.
    Chamber of Chains
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I was thinking about the slim pickings offered this year (no mounts or anything good) and was wondering why they didn't do more. I'm cautiously optimistic about announcements and secretly hoping we get something good. How often in life, though, are you surprised like that? Expect the worst and anything good will be a nice surprise.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    it will be a mixed bag of "laughs" and "tears" , dont expect any big announcemnt , sidegames or some crappy mobile game that no1 cares about.

expectactations are low this blizzcon
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I have a boat that doesn't float, so I'd expect maybe a dragon that doesn't fly or something.

Gut Out!
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I don't expect anything this year. In fact, I'm severely disappointed because I can definitely see the main Diablo announcement to be a mobile version of Diablo 3. Even worse, which would add insult to injury would be to announce the Diablo 2 remaster to be for mobile consumption.

@cheyane Normally I would agree with you that their shortcomings would be forgiven, but I think this year the hate against Blizzard is trending so I don't think they will come out as unscathed as they may be hoping.
    Tuor7d_20
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I have purchased the VT for a few years now, this year.... Nope!
    [Deleted User]
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Maybe panels are 15 shorter to make way for a secret new IP that they will announce this year. Yeeeeea maybe not
    SBFord[Deleted User]NordicApache
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, I didn't buy the virtual ticket either. Nothing worth it (no mounts, pets, etc.) when I can check this site or mmo-champion and see all the information for free. All it offered was a cloak??? Seriously? And it's not even a good looking one. If it was a cloak with the graphics from the legendary MOP cloak then I'd probably have gotten it.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I think what's happening to them right now also stems from them drinking their own Kool-Aid for too long, and being in a place where they feel they can do no wrong. I say this with believing that most of them don't read or heed any player feedback or their own forums, for the most part.

But I know I get bored after a while working on the same things day in and day out, so maybe 'the talent' has a collective 'writer's block' situation happening?

I know there are plenty of fans that come up with great ideas, and some would let the Devs use them with just a shout out if it improved the game.

Gut Out!
    Octagon7711SBFordd_20

What, me worry?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    cheyane said:
    SBFord said:

1) The pretty pathetic "rewards" for the Virtual Ticket. In years past, players received WoW battle pets, Diablo Murloc pets and a two-seater mount. This year, pretty much a whole lot of nothing.

Reminds me of the new packaging you get on a product you have used before only to find that only half the bottle is filled and the scoop is 2/3rds the size of the previous one.

I think Blizzard fans support their games like a religion. So the shortcomings will be forgiven.
    Fan is short for fanatic, so that would probably be the case.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Still holding out hope for Diablo 4.

In the age of leaks, misdirects often work.

I'm sure I'll be disappointed tomorrow.
    [Deleted User]SBFord
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I agree that the price of the Virtual Ticket was way too high for so little .. the only thing I was interested in was the Classic Demo .. but I am not paying for a DEMO .. and only a few days worth at that
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Market saturation seems to be getting to Blizzard and they're not re-acting well to it.  I wouldn't be surprised if they went F2P past level twenty one day to stay competitive.  Unless they bring back some of the old leadership to get things back on track.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    a Biblical proportion disappointment, that's what we all will get this year.
  • asnowasnow Member UncommonPosts: 43
    king is dead long live to the king
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I think this is more of a middle year Blizzcon.. we have had one or two of those before and one yer they simply did not run a Blizzcon at all.. I prefer this over no Bizzcon but we all know there is not much going on... Not in WoW, SC or Diablo... They like to save the Overwatch stuff for Gamescon and to be fair nobody cares THAT much for hearthstone.

So.... A slow middle year when they take the chance to save some money seeing how most people get their ticket anyway... virtual or otherwise.

Is it a nice move.. No... But it is a thing they do every now and then.

Me i will have my popcorn and drinks ready and still enjoy the show. This is as close to a geek superbowl that i am going to get.

This have been a good conversation

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!!!!

[Deleted User]KalebGraysonGutlard
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    All this negativity may make this Blizzcon the most interesting one so far.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It's looking like there's nothing to look forward to if you aren't already involved in the released stuff.

I hope it's all a ruse.
    SBFord
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Let's be real... Blizzcon hasn't had an exciting announcement for almost a decade.
    KabulozobgzgamerRain_Deathraven
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Titan!
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited November 2018
    New Diablo Battle Royal Mobile Game.

Pretty much all I expect.  They also stated that the Overwatch reward will be obtainable in 2019... so the ticket is worth even less, while sold for more.

It's sad when I think the best they can do in an optimal setting is a new class for D3 and a remaster of a game that's still operation and can be played on a modern resolution already (with a little tweaking).  Might even pull a "We did D2 in D3" thing like they did with the first Diablo.  Though that could be interesting if they also went the whole nine yards and changed some systems up as well.  But I don't really think Activision Blizzard is capable of it.

If they do something with the Forsaken Elves and add them to playable races, it might be the hole they needed to add alliance High Elves to elven out the playing field.  B)

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to my free Final Fantasy Festival 2018-2019 streams that they go all around the world for, for their fans.  (>o.o)>
    KalebGrayson
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.