Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 – Proving Comebacks are Possible - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageDestiny 2 – Proving Comebacks are Possible - MMORPG.com

In the last few months we have heard all manner of game news. Fortnite was said to be falling off, if by losing a few million players out of their hundred million plus population, well, okay. Call of Duty launched their battle royale and is doing well. Diablo is on the Switch, and there is this little western game out there sweeping up all the headlines. Red Dead Redemption 2 is amazing. However, in all this news, Destiny 2 continues to prove its value with a hugely successful expansion called Forsaken.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I enjoyed playing Forsaken but it became a drag the longer I played. Unless doing story then for me there is little reason for me to keep playing. I might on occasion log in to goof around at something but it has nothing to retain me. This is a game that for me is better with friends. Solo just doesn't really feel like it is anything but kill things as loot is not really important. If others are finding it is keeping them then I am happy the game is doing that for them.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm just glad they put it on PC as I don't have a console.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Pretty sure this game is still in decline, rehashing old content from Destiny 1 wasn't really that interesting, besides, now that RDR2 is out, is anyone even playing Destiny 2? ;)
    XingbairongAlomar
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    What qualifies as a comeback? I know over 20 people who played it at launch and only 2 played this dlc, briefly. Personally, I'm glad I never bought a ticket for the Destiny train at all.
    Solancer
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • chrisapete123chrisapete123 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Call of duty Battle Royale has fall off a cliff and PUBG still alive and strong.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Destiny 2 finally lost me due to the grind to get raid ready.

I have done every raid in Destiny and Destiny 2... except this latest one. Why? Because I didn't want to do the 10+ "Powerful Rewards" quests every week for like a month to get to 560 or whatever.

Too many other great games to play to spend all my gaming time doing 30+ quests over and over again every week on 3 separate characters JUST to keep up with the power level grind.

That's one thing I think like WoW got right a long time ago...

Quest/whatever to max level, run dungeons to gear up, run heroics to gear up, be raid ready, do easy mode raid, do hard mode raid.

It's a clear, simple, easy path for players looking to engage in that level of content.

Destiny is (like always) too convoluted. You have to not only do all of that, but then also do Crucible and Iron Banana and Patrols and Public Events and the Dreaming City stuff and... and.. and... 

No thanks. The game simply doesn't respect the players time.

Never has really, not since day 1 of Destiny 1.

Such a shame too. Still the best gunplay/movement/abilities etc. of any FPS to date.
    [Deleted User]Roin
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    edited October 2018
    BadSpock said:

I have done every raid in Destiny and Destiny 2... except this latest one. Why? Because I didn't want to do the 10+ "Powerful Rewards" quests every week for like a month to get to 560 or whatever.

Too many other great games to play to spend all my gaming time doing 30+ quests over and over again every week on 3 separate characters JUST to keep up with the power level grind.

Quest/whatever to max level, run dungeons to gear up, run heroics to gear up, be raid ready, do easy mode raid, do hard mode raid.

It's a clear, simple, easy path for players looking to engage in that level of content.

Destiny is (like always) too convoluted. You have to not only do all of that, but then also do Crucible and Iron Banana and Patrols and Public Events and the Dreaming City stuff and... and.. and... 

Such a shame too. Still the best gunplay/movement/abilities etc. of any FPS to date.
    I dont really understand what people want. Not enough to do. Too much to do. Want my raid gear to be easier to get. The game does not keep me occupied. 

I do not play destiny 2 anymore, but your post just make me scratch my head and wonder wtf. 
    Post edited by boris20 on
    [Deleted User]
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    boris20 said:
    BadSpock said:

I dont really understand what people want. Not enough to do. Too much to do. Want my raid get to be easier to get. The game does not keep me occupied. 

I do not play destiny 2 anymore, but your post just make me scratch my head and wonder wtf. 
    Repetitiveness is what I think @BadSpock is trying to convey. 
    boris20Phry

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Comebacks, sadly, do exist.

This game should had been burned and buried to send a clear message to industry. Instead its making tons of money and pulling all the industry towards its sale by instalments.

Most of them being shabby patches that not so long ago would have been free and a lot more complete and polished. Fast food gaming is proven highly profitable and its here to stay until it destroys itself.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Uhm its this a paid for ad or something? Alot of bamboosling going on and word smithing. Destiny 2 might being having a resurgence but its due to an expansion and the lack of quality gaming to compete with at the time.

1) open world end game zone? Say what? What on earth are you talking about this doesnt exist.
    2) PVP and destiny? It is maybe some of the worst iteration of PVP FPS ever envisioned.

I will say the quality of the new content is very nice but its exactly more of the same, nothing more nothing less. Its still hampered by an insulting peer to peer networking design instead of server client, extremely limited instances zones, honestly most of the time you play D2 you will have a hard time convincing yourself more than a handful of other players even play the game. You will almost never see more than 6 other people in the same zone as you.

There is no comeback, this is propaganda pushing your virtue signalling communities product. Its a surge due to an expansion like every other game nothing has changed is the truth if you liked D2 at release you will like the expansion is more of the same if you didnt or got bored after 3 weeks expect the exact same hamster wheel of limited content poorly hidden behind a gear grind.
    uriel_mafess
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Not sure wether any numbers from that games population are correct. As far as me and everyone else i know.... The game has been non-stop dying and forsaken was not even worth a "meh" AT BEST. Not comeback worthy by a far mile
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED

Not sure wether any numbers from that games population are correct. As far as me and everyone else i know.... The game has been non-stop dying and forsaken was not even worth a "meh" AT BEST. Not comeback worthy by a far mile

I suspect the data that indicates Destiny 2 is somehow making a comeback originated with superdata, they have a fairly dubious reputation when it comes to accuracy, its more speculative opinion than actual data.
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Phry said:
    Pretty sure this game is still in decline, rehashing old content from Destiny 1 wasn't really that interesting, besides, now that RDR2 is out, is anyone even playing Destiny 2? ;)
    Not sure how being the top selling video game on consoles a month ago equals decline.  I no longer play it but to say its on a decline is inaccurate.   

https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm?read=50323&game=1477&ismb=1
    NarmorPhry
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

Phry said:

Not sure how being the top selling video game on consoles a month ago equals decline.  I no longer play it but to say its on a decline is inaccurate.   

Heh, you really cant envision a scenario where lets say ONLY 1 tripple a title is sold for the month making it number 1 by default? Not sure if that was the case or not just pointing out how poor the correlation between top seller for 1 month and OMG COMEBACK EVERYONE IS PLAYING DESTINY2! can be.

As someone who is currently playing D2 I can only say the game feels like a total ghost town, with most every zone i am in having at best 3-4 other people in it and what I would call long que times for pvp matches that seems to consistently pit the same group of players against each other over and over meaning they are the only ones queing for a match....
    Phry[Deleted User]
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    So Garrett Fuller... how does a non-mmo prove anything mmo? Its not a fucking MMO and perhaps you shouldn't be writing about MMO's if you don't even know the god damned basics.
    TheScavengeruriel_mafessNilden
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I remember playing Doom2 & Heretic over LAN with other 3 guys in the mid 90s at school. At that time I didnt know that was my first MMO experience.
    Phry said:

Not sure, but didn't you just answer your own question  ;)    
    Also, if there is doubt its probably because its Superdata, they don't supply facts, they supply opinion pieces :p
  • MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    edited October 2018
    Spider-Man came out the same month as Forsaken, so it wasn't the only AAA game in September. I don't understand the hate Destiny has always received? It's population is, and always has been, quite large. And everyone who I speak to playing the game really enjoys it, especially right now. It always seems to be people who clearly aren't playing it, that are hating on it. On console, where Destiny is most popular, there are next to no queue times for PVP or PVE, and the social hubs are booming even late at night - which is something I can't say for any other game I play outside of Fortnite. Destiny makes WoW look like a ghost town. If you play Destiny on PC and it's not as popular then I feel sorry for you, but on consoles it is packed. Destiny is popular, that can't really be disputed. Destiny is well received by those playing it, also can't be disputed. Why not let Destiny players, like myself, just enjoy the game? If you don't like it - fine. Go play something else.
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Phry said:
    Phry said:

Not sure, but didn't you just answer your own question  ;)    
    Also, if there is doubt its probably because its Superdata, they don't supply facts, they supply opinion pieces :p
    Opinions?  just like yours?  At least their's isnt driven by some weird hatred and bias for a video game.  It's also on the top charts on both xbox and ps stores.  

Like I said I no longer play but to say people didnt come back for Forsaken is pretty ignorant. 
  • AyinAyin Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Well, I recently deleted D2 off my PS4 HD to update other games. Never bought Forsaken, so I guess that expansion was forsaken by me. My roommate played it, but he's got a whole clan type thing, while I only solo, so maybe the game was a little more fun for him... but now he's playing Red Dead Redemption 2, dropping D2 like a brick.

D2 failed as soon as they made it a standalone game, rather than a continuation of D1, IMO. Yeah, come buy the same game you're playing, only you lose all your stuff, all your levels, all your abilities, all your customization, and earn it all new, only worse. Oh yeah, and buy these tiny stories and DLC too...

Yeah, not gonna happen.