Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar Officially Announced as a Free to Play Title - MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2018

Like most MMOs that made the switch to Free2Play this obviously is the last burst of strenght before the end.

Also it is outrageous that they now simple make this game into a MMORPG, removing the other modes effectively after having collected money for a Selective Multiplayer Game. Shame on Portalarium for this scam! This game needs to die!

Without some major changes which bring in continuing revenue you may get your wish, as strange as it is to hope for it to occur.

Every time a dev draws lines in the sand that they supposedly will never cross all I can think of is....."read my lips, no new taxes."
    ScorchienJamesGoblin[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:

Like most MMOs that made the switch to Free2Play this obviously is the last burst of strenght before the end.

Also it is outrageous that they now simple make this game into a MMORPG, removing the other modes effectively after having collected money for a Selective Multiplayer Game. Shame on Portalarium for this scam! This game needs to die!

Without some major changes which bring in continuing revenue you may get your wish, as strange as it is to hope for it to occur.

Every time a dev draws lines in the sand that they supposedly will never cross all I can think of is....."read my lips, no new taxes."
    lol .. right ... good one :)
  • VladamirBegemotVladamirBegemot Member UncommonPosts: 100

this could be seen as a attempt to revamp a game that has been failing, but i actually think this is what this game needed one more thing i may add is make Housing MORE AVAILABLE To commoners i will be streaming the f2p version so check me out twitch.tv/snsgaming

You get a free deed for finishing the main story. You can also buy one from someone else for gold if you like, considering the recent improvements to loot, it's much easier now than when I did it back at release. Then it took me 66 hours, I don't think it would take anywhere near that now.
    edited October 2018

What are the limitations for a free player? I can't seem to find that. Also do I get anything as a previous backer?

@Panther2103, it took some doing but the only place I could find information was what Suzy posted in another thread.  I went to their site, and Steam and could find nothing available, just so happened I remembered her post.  One would think such information would be a lot easier to find.

Here is the updated list of Visitor limits:

• The term (Visitor) is appended to their character name
    • Max skill level set to 50
    • NEW! Limited to a single Story Path (Truth, Love or Courage)
    • Cannot purchase nor sell items via Player Vendors nor Public Vendors
    • No ownership of player property nor use of player property signs
    • Cannot move/interact with items on a player property (even if given permissions)
    • Cannot interact with public chests
    • Cannot give items to other players via Trade or Mail
    • Cannot flag as Open PVP
    • Cannot gain nor create ransom items when you kill or are killed in PVP (in Open PVP zones)
    • Character data may be deleted if not eventually upgraded to a paid account
    • Cannot play in Offline Mode
    https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/477021/sota-is-now-free-to-play

Someone on Steam forum added this: "And by finishing a story you can get a property deed and row home, so housing is now available for free accounts."

That's the old version, word for word from last January, the outdated version.

Here is from the latest release notes:

Free Play: We have removed the previous gameplay restrictions of story, trade and lot ownership from our free players. Now free players can trade with other players, own land, and play through the entire story! We have also lowered the price for posting in the forums from $5 to only $1 (the cost of the Universal Chat Orb when on sale). This means that you no longer need to make a purchase to have the real Shroud of the Avatar experience!

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=101017#more-101017
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]

Albatroes said:

"Character data may be deleted if not eventually upgraded to a paid account."

"Cannot give items to other players via Trade or Mail."

"Cannot purchase nor sell items via Player Vendors nor Public Vendors."

Unless I'm missing understanding each one of those, they have SWOTR beat on f2p restrictions.

laserit said:

If I was in charge I'd drop the F2P bullshit and call it a Demo

That is outdated. See my above post with link.
  • darren28darren28 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Kyleran said:

Chaserz said:

For the old school Ultima players: enjoy.

I uninstalled it after 10 minutes of trying it.

Crappy PC eh? I heard it was pretty hardware intensive.

Pretty sure that is not what he meant...
    My free 7 day sub referral with other goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/vGSnnl
    Amazon has a much better deal for Sub price just search for this on Amazon
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Premium Pack

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I tried it for an hour today, so far I haven't seen a single soul. Everything in game reminds me of ultima. The combat felt a bit clunky.

I tried it for an hour today, so far I haven't seen a single soul. Everything in game reminds me of ultima. The combat felt a bit clunky.

You won't see anyone on Isle of Storms or the intro battle scenes, those are Solo only.
    MadFrenchieKilrane
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I have often figured, "Hey, it's free, it's a full-fledged MORPG; why not give it a try?" But I'm getting burned out with game after game turning out to be so much like all the other, really. Just differences in graphics, technical details of how things are done, but nothing that makes me feel like I've found a new home in a new world. Somehow City of Heroes did that for me, and I keep looking for a game that will take Adventure World Simulation to a new level, but so far, they all seem like play-through solo adventure games that just happen to allow different people to play at the same time.

Somehow a game needs to encourage players to invite strangers to join up with them in teams where the characters are distinctly different and contribute different things to the overall success. I think that was the key thing about CoH.

Another was, although the graphics weren't as advanced as they can be today, the world still had a solid, real feel to it. Some of these fantastic-graphics games are too lush, plush, and far-out -- they seem more like dream-worlds.

Something games keep promising but I haven't found delivered is "open world" "sandbox" "choose your own..." They have improved over the limited travel and linear game progression of early games, but I still keep getting the feeling that it doesn't make much difference what character I create, and doing things other than walking through the quest line (starting with silly trivial things and graduating to mostly killing monsters and then more and/or bigger monsters) really doesn't matter or count much and don't involve anything much like the skills that those activities would have in real life, or a decent simulation. I was pleasantly surprised with Bless having very different starting points for different races, but it still has a lot of same-old, same-old feel to it otherwise.

SOTA had a free alpha or pre-alpha period that I tried. I did like the feeling I was free to explore on my own and could find some interesting things that way, and that the NPC contacts weren't fixed to one spot. The "LFG systems" sounds promising, and after all, it's FREE so... eh, once more into the breach...?
    VladamirBegemot
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    edited October 2018
    --> "Elimination of experience point decay on death" <--

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Richard Garriott  crapped his pants on this one..He went 100% retard..and we all know...you dont go full retard! <3 
    cover2xy[Deleted User]

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

You won't see anyone on Isle of Storms or the intro battle scenes, those are Solo only.

You won't see anyone even after the solo part. The game is just bad and empty. Nobody is playing that crap. It's the first reason why it went free to play..now what's the next step ?
    LB quits the gaming industry .
    Chris raging on his facebook page and blaming MMORPG.COM for his failure.
    JamesGoblincover2xy

LeFantome said:

You won't see anyone even after the solo part. The game is just bad and empty. Nobody is playing that crap. It's the first reason why it went free to play..now what's the next step ?
    Now this is just not true at all, when i tested the past 4 days i saw other players every area i went into , a couple of times i was actually surprised at the activity ... That being said because of the server Tech ,SoTA does not feel like a fully fleshed out MMO and more like a CooP/Mutli player expereince .. and there is nothing wrong with that ..
    JamesGoblinVladamirBegemotDavodtheTutt[Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Downloading now...

Don't judge me!
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

LeFantome said:

Since you don't play the game, of course you won't see anyone.

However, I do see people, and the numbers are climbing thanks to this. Global chat is also constantly active now. It's great, I'm glad they made these changes I do believe we've turned a corner.
    KyleranJamesGoblin
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    You seriously need to pay to post in chat?

• Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181

Kyleran said:

Chaserz said:

For the old school Ultima players: enjoy.

I uninstalled it after 10 minutes of trying it.

Crappy PC eh? I heard it was pretty hardware intensive.

I'm back with the facts, baby.

The real bottleneck is having a Hard Drive. Without a Solid State it's almost unplayable, because it's trying to pull a tonne of badly optimised assets off the drive all at once, due to the game being built around selling them on to players as home decoration.

There are other issues, such as poor net code, and the game using a Master instance on one player's machine everyone syncs too when the enter a zone, but it's the sheer data bandwidth that cripples it.

The sad thing is, you don't see reviews across multiple hardware any more in the media, they're all using near Dev-level spec so don't see issues like this.
    JamesGoblin

flizzer said:

Global chat, yeah. It's a paywall to prevent rampant spamming. You can use the other channels if you haven't paid anything, but we don't need the spam advertisements for plumming that are showing up on the forums to start being in global chat.
    JamesGoblinLeFantome

this could be seen as a attempt to revamp a game that has been failing, but i actually think this is what this game needed one more thing i may add is make Housing MORE AVAILABLE To commoners i will be streaming the f2p version so check me out twitch.tv/snsgaming

You get a free deed for finishing the main story. You can also buy one from someone else for gold if you like, considering the recent improvements to loot, it's much easier now than when I did it back at release. Then it took me 66 hours, I don't think it would take anywhere near that now.

You can buy it from Vlad here in particular, which is why he pushes the game so hard.

Notice he says "for gold" though? Well, here's the official Marketplace on Shroud of the Avatar., see for yourself how many Lot and Home deeds (you need one of both) are available for in game gold. And how many traders are actually asking for Real Dollars instead.

Then find how much in game gold is going for on the official marketplace in real dollars too.

I was going to say how much Markee Dragon, the Official Trusted Trader is selling it for, but interestingly, even he doesn't have any in stock at the moment. That's probably because most of the serious RMTs are not taking any more stock, because they know the game is a very short period from bankruptcy. They're dumping inventory and getting out whilst they can.

But it used to be $15 for 250k in gold when he was selling the currency though, as you can see.

Don't forget, you need to have also spent at least $1 in the store to post anywhere outside the introduction subforum, including the Marketplace which is the only place you're allowed to do the RMT: and no, Free to Play accounts don't get access these days, despite the dishonest claims again. It used to be $5, and I made an account right now called "YouStillHaveToPayFiveDollars" so you could cross check the profile and see for yourself the account was made and the screenshot was taken today. But apparently the warning you get when you try says it's now only a dollar. BARGAIN!

Incidentally, the very first thing you see after you log in for the first time... is this.

And that is why most former backers are so, SO disgusted with this game.

That, and there's a tiny cadre of RMTs and high-invested backers here deliberately posting information they know is wrong... and trying to use claims of stalking and "doxxing" to shut down any information which gets in the way of their attempts to do so... knowing full well the moderation of most webpages online will let them get away with it because no one will do the work to cross check the facts, and anyone who does they try and blacken the names of.

But click the links above and see for yourself who is telling the truth.

MadFrenchieJamesGoblinEarthgirl
    Oh and here's my own comment on the joys of Shroud's so called wonderful community.

And MMORPG.com, you KNOW the following is true because, even if you've not read the documents, you know I've submitted the legal decisions to you as a tip off, with my real name and address. The full story is still available if you want it too. I can send them again if somehow you've lost them behind the scenes...

Now back in March, I posted a video on these forums (and elsewhere) pointing out how the Developer Chris Spears had taken my police reports of harassment and tried to forge claims critics, including myself, were doing it to him instead..

You can see a sockpuppet of the person who is actually behind it all, using the avatar of court portrait of a Canadian serial killer, gloating about organising with Portalarium to shut my account down in the reply to that video in fact.

The reaction then at MMORPG.com however was to give ME a ban. Remember folks, all you need to do is escalate your harassment to the point even making the accusation of it is so shocking that people assume the victim of it must be mad too.

Fortunately, he copied me in to the private thread where he was actually begging Portalarium to harass me, to try and increase the damage done by making sure I saw it

Yeah, really. He really, honestly did.

So with this, in July I took Portalarium to the American Arbitration Association. And Portalarium had not only not paid the fees to claim the accreditation in their EULA for the scheme in the first place, but also despite being given a two week extension to engage, and even the AAA offering me the chance to pay all their expenditure, Portalarium didn't even dare turn up and defend their claims.

They were thus told on 4th of September the AAA would likely never handle a case involving them again, and to remove any reference to the AAA from their EULA. As of this date, near 2 months later, and again knowing I've got the correspondence proving they were told too, Portalarium still have not changed their EULA.

Again... you KNOW I'm telling the truth MMORPG.com. You've got a link to that 4th Sept. document.

But I've spent the last 2 months trying to find a media organisation who isn't compromised by personal bias like Red_Thomas here is, or just have enough balls to carry the story and take the risks themselves, but unfortunately few editors dare touch it. It's this reticence, and unwillingness to believe the victims that the malicious rely upon, sadly. So I'm going open with it myself now instead.

So I'm today making a follow up video listing all the fun of dealing with US Courts after that video; It was only grabbing screenshots of some of the antics here in fact that let me notice the prior account ban had expired. Once more, you can have the details on your front page MMORPG.com as an exclusive sotry, or you can ridiculously ban me in comments again I suppose... but truth will out all the same.

And the truth is, backing Shroud has been one of the worst experiences of my life, and has led me running into contact with people who are the most despicable and dirty I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Just because I didn't want people to be ripped off or harassed.

JamesGoblinLeFantomeEarthgirl
    I've forgotten again, what is the reason for not just walking away?

Sometimes you have to ask yourself this question which I often do when involved in a protracted disagreement with my wife.

Would I rather be proven "right" or be at peace?

We sometimes tend to create our own "hells" 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]VladamirBegemot

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Oh and here's my own comment on the joys of Shroud's so called wonderful community.

And MMORPG.com, you KNOW the following is true because, even if you've not read the documents, you know I've submitted the legal decisions to you as a tip off, with my real name and address. The full story is still available if you want it too. I can send them again if somehow you've lost them behind the scenes...

Now back in March, I posted a video on these forums (and elsewhere) pointing out how the Developer Chris Spears had taken my police reports of harassment and tried to forge claims critics, including myself, were doing it to him instead..

You can see a sockpuppet of the person who is actually behind it all, using the avatar of court portrait of a Canadian serial killer, gloating about organising with Portalarium to shut my account down in the reply to that video in fact.

The reaction then at MMORPG.com however was to give ME a ban. Remember folks, all you need to do is escalate your harassment to the point even making the accusation of it is so shocking that people assume the victim of it must be mad too.

Fortunately, he copied me in to the private thread where he was actually begging Portalarium to harass me, to try and increase the damage done by making sure I saw it

Yeah, really. He really, honestly did.

So with this, in July I took Portalarium to the American Arbitration Association. And Portalarium had not only not paid the fees to claim the accreditation in their EULA for the scheme in the first place, but also despite being given a two week extension to engage, and even the AAA offering me the chance to pay all their expenditure, Portalarium didn't even dare turn up and defend their claims.

They were thus told on 4th of September the AAA would likely never handle a case involving them again, and to remove any reference to the AAA from their EULA. As of this date, near 2 months later, and again knowing I've got the correspondence proving they were told too, Portalarium still have not changed their EULA.

Again... you KNOW I'm telling the truth MMORPG.com. You've got a link to that 4th Sept. document.

But I've spent the last 2 months trying to find a media organisation who isn't compromised by personal bias like Red_Thomas here is, or just have enough balls to carry the story and take the risks themselves, but unfortunately few editors dare touch it. It's this reticence, and unwillingness to believe the victims that the malicious rely upon, sadly. So I'm going open with it myself now instead.

So I'm today making a follow up video listing all the fun of dealing with US Courts after that video; It was only grabbing screenshots of some of the antics here in fact that let me notice the prior account ban had expired. Once more, you can have the details on your front page MMORPG.com as an exclusive sotry, or you can ridiculously ban me in comments again I suppose... but truth will out all the same.

And the truth is, backing Shroud has been one of the worst experiences of my life, and has led me running into contact with people who are the most despicable and dirty I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Just because I didn't want people to be ripped off or harassed.

This is not healthy shit dude , from all your posts ive read you need to move on from it ..

Its not worth it and not healthy at all...

Lol you wrote above you just spent the last 2 months of your life on this rant ... WTF man you cant get that back , and no game is worth this mental anquish its caused you ....

Move along .....
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]KyleranVladamirBegemot
    edited November 2018
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:

Did they remove the single player mode?
    I read they partially did, when players enter towns and villages it seems.

If so, probably to try and combat the perception that no one is playing.

Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:

Did they remove the single player mode?
    I read they partially did, when players enter towns and villages it seems.

If so, probably to try and combat the perception that no one is playing.
    Its kinda been put on the Back, Back , Back Burner .. But its not cooking at all , im not sure if the pilots even lit .. But its there
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

flizzer said:

Global chat, yeah. It's a paywall to prevent rampant spamming. You can use the other channels if you haven't paid anything, but we don't need the spam advertisements for plumming that are showing up on the forums to start being in global chat.
    Do you hear what you're saying ? To prevent rampant spamming ??

You're wrong. they do that for money purposes. Nothing else.

As you also need to pay to post on their forum..Don't tell me it's to prevent spamming. as they deleted anything related to bad or constructive comments. So for spamming………….

They need MONEY,  before they go bankrupt.